Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Zak Taylor's replacement
(11-19-2020, 04:58 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Kubiak or Harbaugh would be on my short list of desireable candidates, though it looks doubtful that they'd make themselves available.

I'd take a hard look at Darrell Bevell(current OC for Detroit, former OC for Seattle).  He was the guy who lobbied hard for the Seahawks to draft Russell Wilson.  He also helped to build the "jazz" offense from the ground up that makes Wilson so deadly.  KC's offense seems like a rehash of some of Bevell's concepts.

Don Martindale(Ravens DC) is another interesting candidate to my eyes.  The Baltimore defense was good before he was promoted from LB coach to DC, but it has been bona-fide elite ever since he took over the coordinator position.  Going with an "offensive minded" HC might be all the rage, but this guy has a sterling resume and likely has a great rolodex of contacts in the coaching world.

I've seen people make a good case for Pete Carmichael Jr.(Saints OC since '09), but the Saints offense was 1st in the league in '08.  I'd look for guys who built something from scratch or who have piloted a great turnaround over guys who walked into great situations and kept the ball rolling.

For GM I think that if he can make a convincing pitch that he can handle the contracts/math/bean counting aspect of the job, you offer the moon to Mike Borgonzi and never look back.  

I would NOT consider McDaniels after what he did to the Colts.  Absolutely untrustworthy type of a dude.

Jerrod Mayo and Anthony Lynn could be very interesting coordinator hires if they're available next year.

The current state of affairs just isn't fair to ZT, Joe Burrow, any of the players, or the fans.  The guy just wasn't ready.  There couldn't be a better time to start fresh with a total reboot.  If they find some good executive decision makers, this young core can be dangerous.
Strong list I actually forgot he did that to indy
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 05:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We got a minor league hockey team that’s always pretty damn good. Big Grin

It's weird, we had a great lower level soccer team too. Once they went up to MLS, they were really bad.

We just can't have nice things at the highest level.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 04:58 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Kubiak or Harbaugh would be on my short list of desireable candidates, though it looks doubtful that they'd make themselves available.

I'd take a hard look at Darrell Bevell(current OC for Detroit, former OC for Seattle).  He was the guy who lobbied hard for the Seahawks to draft Russell Wilson.  He also helped to build the "jazz" offense from the ground up that makes Wilson so deadly.  KC's offense seems like a rehash of some of Bevell's concepts.

Don Martindale(Ravens DC) is another interesting candidate to my eyes.  The Baltimore defense was good before he was promoted from LB coach to DC, but it has been bona-fide elite ever since he took over the coordinator position.  Going with an "offensive minded" HC might be all the rage, but this guy has a sterling resume and likely has a great rolodex of contacts in the coaching world.

I've seen people make a good case for Pete Carmichael Jr.(Saints OC since '09), but the Saints offense was 1st in the league in '08.  I'd look for guys who built something from scratch or who have piloted a great turnaround over guys who walked into great situations and kept the ball rolling.

For GM I think that if he can make a convincing pitch that he can handle the contracts/math/bean counting aspect of the job, you offer the moon to Mike Borgonzi and never look back.  

I would NOT consider McDaniels after what he did to the Colts.  Absolutely untrustworthy type of a dude.

Jerrod Mayo and Anthony Lynn could be very interesting coordinator hires if they're available next year.

The current state of affairs just isn't fair to ZT, Joe Burrow, any of the players, or the fans.  The guy just wasn't ready.  There couldn't be a better time to start fresh with a total reboot.  If they find some good executive decision makers, this young core can be dangerous.

Great list Bilbo. Like all your thoughts as well. Cool
Reply/Quote
Robert Salah or Josh McDaniels for me. The biggest need though would be changing the GM. No more duke please.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 09:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Robert Salah or Josh McDaniels for me. The biggest need though would be changing the GM. No more duke please.

No to McDaniels for me.
Reply/Quote
Is there a college coach anyone would take a chance on?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I would have no problem moving on from Zac after the season. My only wonder is if Mike decides to step back into the decision making role after the Duke/Katie/Troy committee decided on Zac. If Mike does play a role, you have to wonder if he'd go back to some coaches he liked. I could see him wanting Zim as his #1 choice. I believe he's also a big Vance Joseph fan so I could see Mike giving him his second chance as a coach.

I will say that if we move on from Zac, then I hope the new guy has a nice big network of coaches who he can contact to fill roles here. Zac is so limited, that's how we wound up with guys like Turner and Lou.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 02:20 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I would have no problem moving on from Zac after the season. My only wonder is if Mike decides to step back into the decision making role after the Duke/Katie/Troy committee decided on Zac. If Mike does play a role, you have to wonder if he'd go back to some coaches he liked. I could see him wanting Zim as his #1 choice. I believe he's also a big Vance Joseph fan so I could see Mike giving him his second chance as a coach.

I will say that if we move on from Zac, then I hope the new guy has a nice big network of coaches who he can contact to fill roles here. Zac is so limited, that's how we wound up with guys like Turner and Lou.

I don’t see Mike Brown being interested in Zimmer at all. Zimmer is a big personality, and far from a yes man. Sounds like the exact opposite of what Mike looks for in a HC.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 02:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t see Mike Brown being interested in Zimmer at all. Zimmer is a big personality, and far from a yes man. Sounds like the exact opposite of what Mike looks for in a HC.

From what the beat guys said in the past, Mike loved himself some Zim. He had no problem making him the highest paid assistant at one point. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 09:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Robert Salah or Josh McDaniels for me. The biggest need though would be changing the GM. No more duke please.
Saleh, yes. McDaniels, hell no.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 02:20 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I would have no problem moving on from Zac after the season. My only wonder is if Mike decides to step back into the decision making role after the Duke/Katie/Troy committee decided on Zac. If Mike does play a role, you have to wonder if he'd go back to some coaches he liked. I could see him wanting Zim as his #1 choice. I believe he's also a big Vance Joseph fan so I could see Mike giving him his second chance as a coach.

Knowing Son of Paul, it'd be Hue Jackson. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 11:40 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Is there a college coach anyone would take a chance on?

Maybe James Franklin out of PSU. I mean, dude won at VANDERBILT.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I would really like having Zimmer but he has not won a SB in Minnesota and he was given every thing he wanted including signing an expensive QB.
If he can't win there with everything he wants why would he win here when he will not get everything he wants?

Would love him as DC though.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 09:30 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would really like having Zimmer but he has not won a SB in Minnesota and he was given every thing he wanted including signing an expensive QB.
If he can't win there with everything he wants why would he win here when he will not get everything he wants?

Actually I think he'd be perfect.  He's familiar with Cincy.  He was successful here.  He has Burrow to develop.  He'd improve our D and dependent on the offensive coordinator, I think he'd be solid there too.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 09:30 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would really like having Zimmer but he has not won a SB in Minnesota and he was given every thing he wanted including signing an expensive QB.

Is one of your qualifications to replace Zac Taylor having a SB win?  (That seems like a very high bar)

Fwiw, Zimmer did go to a NFC Championship game, and was OT away from making a 2nd.  So he was a game away from getting that chance to win a SB.

Also, you do know Minnesota has a GM, right?  I'm pretty sure it's more of the GM getting what he wants than Mike Zimmer building out and selecting his all of his own players.  He coaches the team he's given.  And salary aside, Kirk Cousins is an average QB.   It's not like the team went out and got him Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers.

I will agree with you that if he can't win it all there, then he's got virtually no chance to win it all here, with the way we're currently structured.  By I think that's true of any coach.  I don't think anyone can come in here and win a SB unless the FO is overhauled. 

But I also think Zimmer is a quality HC, and a clearly better option than Taylor.  I just went the best coach we can get.  My only qualifications are "Is this a good coach?" and/or "Is this coach better than Zac Taylor?".  I think I can answer both of those with a resounding yes when it comes to Mikey Z.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 02:01 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Actually I think he'd be perfect.  He's familiar with Cincy.  He was successful here.  He has Burrow to develop.  He'd improve our D and dependent on the offensive coordinator, I think he'd be solid there too.

Feel the same, would love to get Zim back here. Burrow has a much higher upside than those QB's he has had in Minny.

(11-20-2020, 02:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is one of your qualifications to replace Zac Taylor having a SB win?  (That seems like a very high bar)

Fwiw, Zimmer did go to a NFC Championship game, and was OT away from making a 2nd.  So he was a game away from getting that chance to win a SB.

Also, you do know Minnesota has a GM, right?  I'm pretty sure it's more of the GM getting what he wants than Mike Zimmer building out and selecting his all of his own players.  He coaches the team he's given.  And salary aside, Kirk Cousins is an average QB.   It's not like the team went out and got him Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers.

I will agree with you that if he can't win it all there, then he's got virtually no chance to win it all here, with the way we're currently structured.  By I think that's true of any coach.  I don't think anyone can come in here and win a SB unless the FO is overhauled. 

But I also think Zimmer is a quality HC, and a clearly better option than Taylor.  I just went the best coach we can get.  My only qualifications are "Is this a good coach?" and/or "Is this coach better than Zac Taylor?".  I think I can answer both of those with a resounding yes when it comes to Mikey Z.

Agreed, we get a good coach in here and we will start winning games, that is a start.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer would be great and the Ravens DC is very intriguing to me.

Have been wanting Forrest Gregg to materialize for a long time.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 11:40 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Is there a college coach anyone would take a chance on?

For me,I'd prefer an nfl coach. College is just different enough that I think college coaches take some time to get used to the way the nfl does things. You don't have a handful of feeder schools, the patience of most universities,the potential attitude of a guy who already cashed his check, etc.
Reply/Quote