Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zampese = Brat?
(09-22-2016, 04:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Zampese could not possibly equal Bratkowski.  Not one time have I seen the sequence of run, run, shuttle pass, punt.  Ninja

Wasn't them the only 3 plays in brats playbook?  LMAO
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 05:35 PM)IMightBeRight Wrote: Wasn't them the only 3 plays in brats playbook?  LMAO

Not a brat defender as he was very vanilla, but from 2003-2007 Brats offense averaged 9th in the leage. And was 4th best in 05

Anyway I think brat knew what his players were good at and executed. Not much trickery to it.

Eventually it ran its course but for 5 years the bengals had one of the better offenses in the NFL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 05:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: A couple things:

1.  If the line is struggling, throwing out of the shot gun will only help the QB.
2.  Using a jumbo package won't fix the problem with the running game.  The problem is with the interior of the line and adding an extra TE or T won't fix that issue.

Rep on both these points
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 09:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Everyone's getting all paranoid because the offense isn't clicking yet this year. However, people need to remember that the Bengals are playing without their #2, #3, and #4 receiving options from last year, so the new guys need to get their feet wet.

That's a great point, but some people spent the entire off-season convincing themselves that we'd either be as good if not better BECAUSE we lost Hue, MLJ, Sanu, and to a lesser extent Eifert (because the 2 TE's behind him would turn into Eifert's of their own and then we'd have like...3 Eiferts) that I actually have to respect people being unreasonably disappointed because they are sticking to those expectations.

(09-22-2016, 09:40 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Ever heard of the word premature?

Yeah, learned that one on prom night.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 05:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: A couple things:

1.  If the line is struggling, throwing out of the shot gun will only help the QB.
2.  Using a jumbo package won't fix the problem with the running game.  The problem is with the interior of the line and adding an extra TE or T won't fix that issue.

Running out of the "I", not shotgun, would help with the run game and 2 TE is for the passing game so they can stay in and help block the outside or chip the outside allowing the interior of the line to concentrate there.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 12:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Zampese did not make terrible calls in the red zone.

And we are running the same blocking scheme as the last few years.

Don't really see a point here.

Maybe the men are overmatched?
Reply/Quote
I like brats, especially with onions and mustard...wait what's this thread about? Wink

https://memegenerator.net/instance/64358420
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 05:44 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Not a brat defender as he was very vanilla, but from 2003-2007 Brats offense averaged 9th in the leage. And was 4th best in 05

Anyway I think brat  knew what his players were good at and executed. Not much trickery to it.

Eventually it ran its course but for 5 years the bengals had one of the better offenses in the NFL

Brat was actually a great offensive mind, good designer of plays, and very good OC in his day.

I'm not sure if old school is the proper term ? But like you say he didn't keep pace with the evolving NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Brat was actually a great offensive mind, good designer of plays, and very good OC in his for a day.

I'm not sure if old school is the proper term ? But like you say he didn't keep pace with the evolving NFL. 

Fixed that for ya
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 12:22 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Fixed that for ya

The Bengals had a top 10 offense from 2005-2007. Obviously lost Palmer in 08.

They also had a top 10 scoring offense from 2004-06. A year split with Kitna and Palmer.

Had a top 10 rushing attack in 2009.

Had a top 7 passing attack in 2005, 2006, and 2007.

Bratkowski had some good years.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Zampese has done just fine considering the circumstances of the two games he has called so far. This Sunday will be a big tell.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 07:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's a great point, but some people spent the entire off-season convincing themselves that we'd either be as good if not better BECAUSE we lost Hue, MLJ, Sanu, and to a lesser extent Eifert (because the 2 TE's behind him would turn into Eifert's of their own and then we'd have like...3 Eiferts) that I actually have to respect people being unreasonably disappointed because they are sticking to those expectations.

Most people were acting like that when we didn't think Eifert would miss any time. Plus the problem isn't with what's wrong with the passing game. It's what's wrong with the OL. Once the OL starts to gel and we get Eifert we will be really good on offense. Hell, Dalton is already leading the league in yards per game.
Reply/Quote
The main problem is Marvin Lewis, my God how he is still employed, he would be fired at most high schools with his body of work.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 07:50 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Running out of the "I", not shotgun, would help with the run game and 2 TE is for the passing game so they can stay in and help block the outside or chip the outside allowing the interior of the line to concentrate there.

Problem is most of our runs are in between the tackles, where the interior (mostly Bodine) is consistently getting pushed back. I don't know why running Gio to the outside is a hard concept for them to grasp. He's got the speed to turn the corner, and hes shown the ability to break a tackle from a DB or two.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Cmon you gotta account for the 2 different years and eras. Hue had Andre Smith, Sanu, Marvin, and has had Eifert for longer than Zampese has. Also Hue had good Jeremy Hill and Zampese has only had crappy Hill so far these 2 games. If we get 5 healthy games in and we still cant execute then you can blame him.

Also just from my POV the actual plays haven't been bad. We just execute them horribly cause we get no time from the O line
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 10:39 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Problem is most of our runs are in between the tackles, where the interior (mostly Bodine) is consistently getting pushed back. I don't know why running Gio to the outside is a hard concept for them to grasp. He's got the speed to turn the corner, and hes shown the ability to break a tackle from a DB or two.

Defenses can counter it though.

There's been a few times where it was 3 or 4 man rush and they would collapse the inside quickly. Have a LB protect the outside of the line and don't have to worry about inside gaps as much due to poor play from the interior.

The thing is, we NEED better play from Bodine.

Also, someone who hasn't been talked about much in run protection is Ogubehi. Who has been having a rough season when it comes to that aspect. Done decent in pass protection, but suspect in blocking in the run game and gets disengaged too easily.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 11:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: After two games. yes you are paranoid.. total offensive not much difference than last year after two games so did you compare Hue and Brat?, . the big difference is more red zone issues .. but I heard a great stat on radio today.. Dalton to Eiffert in end zone last year was 10 out of 11, the rest of throws to other people was like 25 percent... Eiffert is the difference in lower scoring in red zone from the first two games last year.

Finally we played Oakland and San Diego.. away and home.... this year we played Jets and Steelers both away.. I don;t think a very fair comparison after two games this year compared to last year.

Good analysis. Thank you.

Here is some more food for thought for the paranoid.

What was the big concern most people had coming into this season? I would say for many fans it was we lost a lot of talent at WR and with Eifert out and a bunch of question marks after AJ at WR people were wondering how the passing game would do. I would bet the coaches had concerns in this area too.

So, would you rather run the ball excessively for the first 4 games of the year and let the questions linger at WR or would you want to go pass heavy and build some familiarity with AD and his new WRs and his tight ends not named Tyler Eifert?

Everyone knows what Gio and Hill can do. They are damn good.  And Andrew Whitworth and the rest of our OL coached by a damn fine OL coach did not just turn to shit during the off season. They are damn good.

We need to establish the new receivers both for the sake of the comfort level of Andy and the receivers as well as so teams don't realize if they take away the run then all they have to worry about is AJ Green. I think going pass heavy the first few games is smart for these reasons. Plus, it takes wear and tear off of our running backs which could be a good thing coming down the stretch.

Marvin will never be a coach who wins games 31-14 or 38-17. A wet dream for him is winning 3-0 with the game winning field goal kicked from 45 yards with 4:45 left on the clock. Then you keep going three and out on offense and make your defense defend the lead. For a bonus, on the last possession the opponent drives down to the 2 yard line with 2 seconds left and the defense stops them when they go for it on second down.

So, he is thrilled the first two games were close and we managed to win one of them. Still, I hope for the next few weeks we stay pass heavy and establish some new receiving threats.

And, as pathetic as the Steelers game was, after the emotional melt down in the playoffs, maybe it was good to just play like shit and lose rather than play well and lose or self destruct in the end. We played like shit, the refs sucked, we didn't blow our emotional load, nobody got hurt or suspended or ejected. And we are 1-1 after two road games. The sky isn't falling.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Our offensive line is very poor and has been very poor run locking against the stronger Ds and in particular against 3-4 defenses or 4-3s with DTs that can overwhelm Bodine.

I cannot understand why Bodine remains our starting center and why we have not drafted or signed a free agent to compete with him.

There is no doubt that he is the biggest weakness on the time
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 09:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Everyone's getting all paranoid because the offense isn't clicking yet this year. However, people need to remember that the Bengals are playing without their #2, #3, and #4 receiving options from last year, so the new guys need to get their feet wet. Normally, that's what the preseason games are for, but with so many injuries, the Bengals couldn't afford to keep their starters out there longer.

But our major problems on offense are O-line and running game, not receiving..
Reply/Quote