Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zampese Report Card
(09-20-2016, 01:32 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My biggest complaint is... the run game isn't working and the pass rushers are beating the OL like a drum. So rather than continuing to try to run the ball, why not use some more screen plays to make those pass rushers have to hesitate a bit longer?

The Bengals killed it with screen passes in Week 1. Then Week 2 rolls around and they only do 2 screen passes, but they both work and they both gain big yardage. What ever happened to "keep doing it until they can stop it"? The only time this OL has looked good this year is when they are pulling to block on screens, in which case they have been destroying people with blocks.

I'd love a lot more screens worked into the gameplan. It'll slow down that pass rush, and has only produced good results so far. Gio is a monster in screens with how patient and good he is at following his blockers even if it means slowing down a bit before bursting out in speed as soon as the block is made.

Screens and short quick passes can be a suitable replacement for runs. Sean Payton and the Saints have proven that in the past.
DO THAT UNTIL THE OPPONENT STOPS IT! ThumbsUp GEEEZ
Reply/Quote
D

The offense struggles and has no real identity. In the first half of the Jets game they only ran 5 times to 25 passes. But Hill averaged over 4.0 YPC.

In the last game, there was a ton of dink and dunks. The offensive line didn't seem to get into rhythm the past two weeks and there seems to be confusion all around.

The offense has only done well because Dalton calling plays and taking full control. Look at the last two drives against the Steelers.

Also, against the Jets when the offense was struggling, Dalton called a different play that allowed LaFell to get a huge gain. Dalton also called the TD throw to Green in that game.

There's little to no substance with this offense. It has the ideas of Hue but no execution. Players aren't on the same page. Play calling is predictable. They didn't really take shots against the Steelers until later on. Was very dink and dunk.

Didn't even get Gio involved until it was almost too late.

I am not impressed with Zampese. He's known this offense for years, coached Dalton and has been around almost all these offensive players for years. There's no excuses. I don't care if he never called a game before. You've been promoted for a reason. So far, Zampese has not shown why he earned this job.

Is that harsh? A bit. Yes.
But should the offense be doing better and actually be on the same page?
Absolutely.

No excuses for the play calling that's been happening. 84 throws in the last two weeks while you have Gio and Hill on the bench?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Shocked 
It's a new system this year. Don't know much about this Chimpanze feller,but, I do know the team has regressed with this system! I think Marvin ? could sense the helter skelter  from the lack of offense, and I would have benched Dalton and given AJ a shot. But, I think Marvin  knew ? that the way the team was playing, AJ probably would'nt  have done much better!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:14 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: D

The offense struggles and has no real identity. In the first half of the Jets game they only ran 5 times to 25 passes. But Hill averaged over 4.0 YPC.

In the last game, there was a ton of dink and dunks. The offensive line didn't seem to get into rhythm the past two weeks and there seems to be confusion all around.

The offense has only done well because Dalton calling plays and taking full control. Look at the last two drives against the Steelers.

Also, against the Jets when the offense was struggling, Dalton called a different play that allowed LaFell to get a huge gain. Dalton also called the TD throw to Green in that game.

There's little to no substance with this offense. It has the ideas of Hue but no execution. Players aren't on the same page. Play calling is predictable. They didn't really take shots against the Steelers until later on. Was very dink and dunk.

Didn't even get Gio involved until it was almost too late.

I am not impressed with Zampese. He's known this offense for years, coached Dalton and has been around almost all these offensive players for years. There's no excuses. I don't care if he never called a game before. You've been promoted for a reason. So far, Zampese has not shown why he earned this job.

Is that harsh? A bit. Yes.
But should the offense be doing better and actually be on the same page?
Absolutely.

No excuses for the play calling that's been happening. 84 throws in the last two weeks while you have Gio and Hill on the bench?

I'm going to be honest; you didn't like this move from the start, so you haven't given him a chance yet, deserved bashing or not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm going to be honest; you didn't like this move from the start, so you haven't given him a chance yet, deserved bashing or not.

Same goes for most of the people bashing Zampese.  They never liked the move so they are goping to blame Ken for the poor O-line play.

Our offense is ranked #10 in the league right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm going to be honest; you didn't like this move from the start, so you haven't given him a chance yet, deserved bashing or not.

Not gonna lie. I haven't. So probably a little biased.

But he can prove me wrong. So far, he hasn't. That's the thing. Last two weeks have left me very unimpressed.

I hope he proves me wrong. I really do. But he hasn't.

Reply/Quote
I thought he's called some decent games. We've had open receivers, they didn't catch the ball real well this last weekend and the run game is just getting smashed by poor blocks. It hasn't been free runners or bad numbers just olinemen getting beat
Reply/Quote
We are all in agreement, for the most part, that our O-line has played relatively abysmal the first two weeks, yet some also wonder why our offense is looking "less dynamic"? I think it's downright remarkable our offense has put up the numbers it has so far given the trash-fest that has been going on up front the last two weeks.

As far as Zampese...too early to tell for me. Again, really hard to look good, or even competent as an NFL level play caller when the O-Line of your offense is just not getting it done.
Reply/Quote
Saw this, thought it was interesting:

Bengals have run 19 times on first down. They have gained an average of 1.74 yards on those plays.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same goes for most of the people bashing Zampese.  They never liked the move so they are goping to blame Ken for the poor O-line play.

Our rushing attack is #31 in the league right now. Ran only 37 times this year. Tied for 28th in the league.

Also tied for the most sacks given up in the league with 8. Chicago is tied with them.

Andy Dalton has the most passing yards in the league though.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:03 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: It's a new system this year. Don't know much about this Chimpanze feller,but, I do know the team has regressed with this system! I think Marvin ? could sense the helter skelter  from the lack of offense, and I would have benched Dalton and given AJ a shot. But, I think Marvin  knew ? that the way the team was playing, AJ probably would'nt  have done much better!

LMAO......what?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:13 PM)JumboTron Wrote: We are all in agreement, for the most part, that our O-line has played relatively abysmal the first two weeks, yet some also wonder why our offense is looking "less dynamic"?  I think it's downright remarkable our offense has put up the numbers it has so far given the trash-fest that has been going on up front the last two weeks.

As far as Zampese...too early to tell for me.  Again, really hard to look good, or even competent as an NFL level play caller when the O-Line of your offense is just not getting it done.

You're absolutely right....as I said earlier....I wonder if he isn't a little gun shy with the run....

(09-20-2016, 10:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Saw this, thought it was interesting:

Bengals have run 19 times on first down. They have gained an average of 1.74 yards on those plays.

Wow.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Zampese seems to be another Bob Bratkowski.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same goes for most of the people bashing Zampese.  They never liked the move so they are goping to blame Ken for the poor O-line play.

Thirty-seven rushes in two weeks is arena ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 11:28 PM)Older Than You Wrote: Zampese seems to be another Bob Bratkowski.

Where's Nate Livings at?  Ninja 

For whatever reason they absolutely cannot run the ball this year behind guys who on paper looked like a good o-line, and two RBs who also look good on paper.  Nor can they pass protect.  Between two high round draft picks, the team has not found a replacement for Smith, their first round guard seems to have fallen off a cliff entirely, and their center who they traded up for is still struggling mightily.  The only two who've looked like above average O-linemen this season are Whit and Boling.  I can't pretend to know the answer, but they'd better get this cleared up or else they're going to have a HARD time building or maintaining any leads this season.
Reply/Quote
Gino needs to be highlighted before hill. Also, Dalton knows this line sucks, he spent most of game 1 against the jets on his back for gods sake. He should check it off and change the plays. None of the offense is shining except Green/Boyd (when they get the ball). Dalton needs to fix this shit at the line. Hill needs to stop double stepping and the line needs to block. It also wouldn't hurt to have a coach challenge a TD with a knee down in the endzone.

It will get better.

Reply/Quote
Passing game has been on point. Dalton leads the league with 732 passing yards after 2 games.

The running game has been a disgrace.
31st in the league with 103 yards.

My grade: C-
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 11:45 PM)tlotharw Wrote: Thirty-seven rushes in two weeks is arena ball.

In each of the last two seasons the Patriots had 3 games with 18 or fewer rushing attempts.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 12:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In each of the last two seasons the Patriots had 3 games with 18 or fewer rushing attempts.

They have a better quarterback.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 12:10 AM)tlotharw Wrote: They have a better quarterback.

Over the same two season the Titans have a total of 10 games with fewer than 18 rush attempts.
Reply/Quote