Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeitler Released! Bengals Interested!
As expected, the Giants released Zeitler, and SI is reporting that we're interested in a reunion!

Quote: The Bengals know they need to improve in the trenches this offseason. It sounds like they could turn to a familiar face in their quest to stabilize the offensive line.

Cincinnati is interested in reuniting with right guard Kevin Zeitler according to NFL insider Chad Forbes.

The Giants released the 31-year-old on Wednesday due to cap issues. They cleared $12 million in space by parting with the veteran guard.

Zeitler allowed two sacks last season and was on the field for 1,003 offensive snaps according to Pro Football Focus.

The Bengals picked Zeitler in the first-round (27th overall) in the 2012 NFL Draft. He spent five years in Cincinnati before signing with Cleveland in free agency following the 2016 season.

The was with the Browns for three years (2016-18), before being traded to the Giants. He spent the past two seasons in New York.

Now he's a free agent and the team that drafted him desperately needs to address the guard position.

The Bengals have plenty of cap space ($42.9 million) and should be interested in proven offensive line talent like Zeitler. He's a plug-and-play right guard.

Zeitler could be looking for a one-year deal in the $6-8 million range, but signing him to a two or three year contract could offer better value, assuming the Bengals believe he can be effective in 2021 and beyond.

Cincinnati has a plethora of issues on their roster. Signing Zeitler will help fill that void.

If we could get him for two-to-three years, it would be incredible because it would offer us stability. The dude's 31, so you have to believe that he wants some stability this late in his career, so I'd say give him two or three years. I know money talks, but we can offer him a decent contract and he'd have to be excited about what we're doing here. Even if he's just a stop-gap for two or three years, I can't think of a much better, much more realistic option. Even if we sign Thuney, we could put Thuney at center and Zeitler at guard.

Think of how much that would open up our draft!

If we'e realistic about being active in free agency, this would be huge.

Is it as good of an idea as I'm thinking?

Any chance it happens?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 02:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: As expected, the Giants released Zeitler, and SI is reporting that we're interested in a reunion!

If we could get him for two-to-three years, it would be incredible because it would offer us stability.  The dude's 31, so you have to believe that he wants some stability this late in his career, so I'd say give him two or three years.  I know money talks, but we can offer him a decent contract and he'd have to be excited about what we're doing here.  Even if he's just a stop-gap for two or three years, I can't think of a much better, much more realistic option.  Even if we sign Thuney, we could put Thuney at center and Zeitler at guard.  

Any chance it happens?
I'd offer 3 yrs and around 20 mill and pay most of it out in the first couple years.
Reply/Quote
Who is Chad Forbes? Is he one of those podcast guys?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't see where the Bengals are interested - just that we need guards.

Just another guy creating click bait out of nothing.
Reply/Quote
There will be a decent number of guards available in free agency this season.

Hopefully the Bengals seize this opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 02:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: As expected, the Giants released Zeitler, and SI is reporting that we're interested in a reunion!

If we could get him for two-to-three years, it would be incredible because it would offer us stability.  The dude's 31, so you have to believe that he wants some stability this late in his career, so I'd say give him two or three years.  I know money talks, but we can offer him a decent contract and he'd have to be excited about what we're doing here.  Even if he's just a stop-gap for two or three years, I can't think of a much better, much more realistic option.  Even if we sign Thuney, we could put Thuney at center and Zeitler at guard.  

Any chance it happens?

I would like to se us sign a vet like Zeitler (there are others available due to cap casualties) and sign Linsley the center from the Packers.

Those 2 would make our interior OL a lot better in 2021 immediately before we make one draft pick.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 10:42 AM)Stewy Wrote: I don't see where the Bengals are interested - just that we need guards.  

Just another guy creating click bait out of nothing.

I think there are better and younger options who can run block better
Reply/Quote

Any chance it happens?

All for it. Damn good pass protector good ole Zeit is.

Has Thuney played Center? I think I would prefer him at LG and bring in Linsley to play Center if we want a Center.

If Hopkins is healthy I think we ignore the Center position though.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 03:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for it. Damn good pass protector good ole Zeit is.

Has Thuney played Center? I think I would prefer him at LG and bring in Linsley to play Center if we want a Center.

If Hopkins is healthy I think we ignore the Center position though.

I have visions now... visions of an O-line with Sewell and Thuney and Zeitler and Jonah and Hopkins.... In this vision, Burrow doesn't get murdered every time he drops back to pass and the O-line allows Mixon to run through wide open holes..... it is a glorious dream.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 03:48 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I have visions now... visions of an O-line with Sewell and Thuney and Zeitler and Jonah and Hopkins.... In this vision, Burrow doesn't get murdered every time he drops back to pass and the O-line allows Mixon to run through wide open holes..... it is a glorious dream.

Wub
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 03:48 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I have visions now... visions of an O-line with Sewell and Thuney and Zeitler and Jonah and Hopkins.... In this vision, Burrow doesn't get murdered every time he drops back to pass and the O-line allows Mixon to run through wide open holes..... it is a glorious dream.

dont do that to yourself... Its not healthy.
Reply/Quote

Any chance it happens?

It sounds great! However I think the FO will try to shore up tackle in free agency. They have never prioritized G, hence why Z is the one that got away. I will say this: If they shore up tackle in FA on the short term, this is the year to do it! jThis draft is packed with talented OL who are VERSATILE! Meaning guys like Eichenberg, Alaric Jackson, Jackson Carman, Vera Tucker, all are promising Tackles coming out who have tons of reps at Guard. Good reps too. So im saying shore up tackle in FA on the short term, draft one of these dudes in the 2-4 round range and stick them at Guard to learn from a guy like lets say Daryl Williams. Then slide them to the perimeter once ready and used to the speed of the game. Put the best 5 guys in front of 9 and LFG!!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:49 PM)Blazer7051 Wrote: It sounds great! However I think the FO will try to shore up tackle in free agency. They have never prioritized G, hence why Z is the one that got away. I will say this: If they shore up tackle in FA on the short term, this is the year to do it! jThis draft is packed with talented OL who are VERSATILE! Meaning guys like Eichenberg, Alaric Jackson, Jackson Carman, Vera Tucker, all are promising Tackles coming out who have tons of reps at Guard. Good reps too. So im saying shore up tackle in FA on the short term, draft one of these dudes in the 2-4 round range and stick them at Guard to learn from a guy like lets say Daryl Williams. Then slide them to the perimeter once ready and used to the speed of the game. Put the best 5 guys in front of 9 and LFG!!

I don't really care what they do as long as they don't half-ass it and think "oh, this will be good enough," which is a typical Mike Brown move, but since I don't think he controls much of anything anymore, we should go all-out in whatever route we choose to go!
Reply/Quote
While bringing Zeitler back would be a nice addition to the team, I sincerely hope that wouldn't be their "big" move. It would be classic Mike Brown to bring back a name we all loved, and call it good. However, that OL is in shambles across the board. If you don't read about Bengals signing Joe Thuney on day 1? You might as well forget about it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Meh, I only want younger FAs, not guys who won't even be here by the time Faylor is gone.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 07:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While bringing Zeitler back would be a nice addition to the team, I sincerely hope that wouldn't be their "big" move. It would be classic Mike Brown to bring back a name we all loved, and call it good. However, that OL is in shambles across the board. If you don't read about Bengals signing Joe Thuney on day 1? You might as well forget about it.

Exactly... People forget over the years that the line was pretty bad in 2016 too. That's WITH Zeitler and Whitworth.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 07:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While bringing Zeitler back would be a nice addition to the team, I sincerely hope that wouldn't be their "big" move.  It would be classic Mike Brown to bring back a name we all loved, and call it good. However, that OL is in shambles across the board.  If you don't read about Bengals signing Joe Thuney on day 1?  You might as well forget about it.

They need at least two quality starters on the OL in FA.  Both G spots are obviously the weakest links.  I wouldn't be over the moon with Zeitler, but he would shore up a starting spot.  

I'd like them to get Thuney and a mid tier G to go with him like Zeitler.  However, I'd rather see them get 2 solid mid tier G's than just Thuney.  Any DC worth his salt can identify the weak links in an OL and devise ways to attack them.  
Reply/Quote
If you got Zeitler and Thuney in FA and then draft an OT in either Rd 1 or Rd 2, that'd be a very successful offseason in my book.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:26 AM)Whatever Wrote: They need at least two quality starters on the OL in FA.  Both G spots are obviously the weakest links.  I wouldn't be over the moon with Zeitler, but he would shore up a starting spot.  

I'd like them to get Thuney and a mid tier G to go with him like Zeitler.  However, I'd rather see them get 2 solid mid tier G's than just Thuney.  Any DC worth his salt can identify the weak links in an OL and devise ways to attack them.  

THERE'S TWO?!?! CoolWink
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 07:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While bringing Zeitler back would be a nice addition to the team, I sincerely hope that wouldn't be their "big" move.  It would be classic Mike Brown to bring back a name we all loved, and call it good. However, that OL is in shambles across the board.  If you don't read about Bengals signing Joe Thuney on day 1?  You might as well forget about it.

You realize we can probably get Zeitler AND another lineman for what Thuney will cost, right? Given Thuney may go down for the season in training camp (in typical Bengals curse fashion) getting 2 for 1 might be the smart move.
Reply/Quote