Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
a Chris Evans question
So against the Clowns last night, he came out on the first drive and had a 26 yard reception down the sideline. That was his first offensive snap of the night. But for whatever reason, he only had one more offensive snap for the rest of the game, for a grand total of 2 snaps on O.

So the question is what gives, why only one more snap for rest of the game? Mixon can't make plays on his own without massive holes made for him (which this line cant do anyways). Mike Thomas had 24 snaps with hands of stone for 0 catches. Perine only runs in a straight line.

On a night when the best playmaker on offense is out, and a second year back makes a very nice play right off the bat only to not see the field again, really makes me question this coaching staff outside of the x's, o's, and schemes, which is also questionable.

“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great question, Mixon was garbage (again) last night. I am guessing it is because he makes too much money to bench. Still, no excuse to not give Evans more touches last night, especially after his catch.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
The whole overall game plan was bad. Evans has seemed to be in the dog house for whatever reason. I think he caused a lot of the holding penalties in the preseason by not running where the play was designed. Not sure if that's it but forget the preseason look back at last season and I think he showed enough flashes for his touches to go up not down. He has shown enough quickness and shiftiness that he could've actually made someone miss on some of those check downs. I just can't believe we didn't target Boyd Higgins and Hurst more especially early in the game.
Reply/Quote
Good question, have backed the coaches decisions so far on this subject but last night was a good opportunity to get him in the game.

Would have been a chance to see what he can do and try to light a fire under Mixon by benching him in a game that was practically over early anyway.

Not sure what he could have done with the Browns dominating the trenches, but it was a golden opportunity to offer him a chance to spark the team.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:46 AM)Millhouse Wrote: So against the Clowns last night, he came out on the first drive and had a 26 yard reception down the sideline. That was his first offensive snap of the night. But for whatever reason, he only had one more offensive snap for the rest of the game, for a grand total of 2 snaps on O.

So the question is what gives, why only one more snap for rest of the game? Mixon can't make plays on his own without massive holes made for him (which this line cant do anyways). Mike Thomas had 24 snaps with hands of stone for 0 catches. Perine only runs in a straight line.

On a night when the best playmaker on offense is out, and a second year back makes a very nice play right off the bat only to not see the field again, really makes me question this coaching staff outside of the x's, o's, and schemes, which is also questionable.

Good Grief!  According to that graphic, the Bengals only played one Guard last night.  No wonder the offense couldn't move the ball.   Ninja

I do agree with OP on Evans.  I feel like he should see more time at receiver.  The staff could just be working him in, as he really hasn't seen a lot of game action since the 2018 season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Makes no sense can’t even say it’s pass blocking because Mixon is god awful at pass blocking he can’t be much worse plus he will be running routes more likely than pass blocking.
Reply/Quote
If pass blocking is gonna suck anyway, no reason Evans is not playing

I’d like to say the coaches know what they are doing but they don’t. Evans is a damn good route runner and has great hands. If you can’t include him in the pass game with no a Jamarr Chase then you just aren’t a good coach. Dude makes a play every chance he’s given
-Housh
Reply/Quote
THE ANSWER IS QUITE SIMPLE!!!!! Had the Bills, or the Chiefs. or the Eagles has a prominent player out and had to scheme to get a Chris Evans type player the ball to make up for the absence of another player, you'd see them all be able to do it! The Bengals should just stop drafting guys like Gio and Evans. They have NO USE for them!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
Mediocre coaches.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Good question, have backed the coaches decisions so far on this subject but last night was a good opportunity to get him in the game.

Would have been a chance to see what he can do and try to light a fire under Mixon by benching him in a game that was practically over early anyway.

Not sure what he could have done with the Browns dominating the trenches, but it was a golden opportunity to offer him a chance to spark the team.

My real guess here is they are avoiding the inevitable and Mixon becoming disruptive with lack of PT. Seems like most every team in the league uses multiple backs in situations/change tempo just to throw situations at the D. Cinci. is so predictable.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Evans is the answer, but I am really getting tired of seeing Mixon diving onto the ground at first contact. It's like as soon as someone gets close to him he just dives forward to get a yard or two instead of lowering a shoulder and plowing through. I'm not sure if he's forgotten how he used to run, or if he just can't push off that ankle, but I'm ready to see less of him and more or Perine/Evans.
Reply/Quote
I could see that change coming more during bye, giving him a chance but they don;t trust him at all blocking which limits keeping him in backfield.. in the end though the line is killing us more than any one player...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:16 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The whole overall game plan was bad. Evans has seemed to be in the dog house for whatever reason. I think he caused a lot of the holding penalties in the preseason by not running where the play was designed. Not sure if that's it but forget the preseason look back at last season and I think he showed enough flashes for his touches to go up not down. He has shown enough quickness and shiftiness that he could've actually made someone miss on some of those check downs. I just can't believe we didn't target Boyd Higgins and Hurst more especially early in the game.

Been the common Theme for the last 3.5 years
Reply/Quote
Just so it be known, Im not advocating to replace Mixon with Evans by any means. Im not the biggest Mixon fan either, but thats not here nor there. And I get that Evans may not be good at pass pro, but neither is Mixon.

It's just a bit confusing is all, and I'd like to hear what Taylor's thoughts are on this. You go into a primetime game against a division rival, and Evans was in there on the very first series. Was he not supposed to be in there, like someone had a uniform issue or something? But then he makes a 26 yard catch on said series, only to get one more offensive snap rest of game. Does he fumble a lot in practice? Or doesn't know the playbook beyond the first series of scripted plays? I honestly have no idea.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:19 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: THE ANSWER IS QUITE SIMPLE!!!!! Had the Bills, or the Chiefs. or the Eagles has a prominent player out and had to scheme to get a Chris Evans type player the ball to make up for the absence of another player, you'd see them all be able to do it! The Bengals should just stop drafting guys like Gio and Evans. They have NO USE for them!

I agree with most that the coaching is the problem. You see other teams scheming players wide open against good defenses. We just win on talent alone. Teams will catch up to you if you can't continually evolve your offense. 

If you aren't continually evolving and getting better, you are falling behind. This lesson can be applied to a lot of things other than sports.

If we look at the Steelers and Ravens games this year, it's clear as day that they have caught up on defense and our offense has stayed the same. 

Look at Andy Reid and the Cheifs evolving on a week to week basis. That's where we need to get to.
Reply/Quote
In response to the OP, I have come around to the thinking that Mixon is not a good fit for this offense. Perine has been more effective and I'd like to see him and Evans used more in the future. Mixon should be traded or let go within the next year in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
Oh what a difference a week makes. In this Chris Evans thread I made just last week ( http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Chris-Evans--33541 ) people were heavily defending Mixon. Seems most on this board are seeing it now. He's just not very good this year.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 01:05 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Oh what a difference a week makes.  In this Chris Evans thread I made just last week ( http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Chris-Evans--33541 ) people were heavily defending Mixon.  Seems most on this board are seeing it now.  He's just not very good this year.

I defended him this offseason. But as the season has gone on it's clear as day he just doesn't fit what we should be doing on offense (running out of shotgun, passing to backs, having our backs pass protect, etc.).

He doesn't pass block well. He doesn't catch the ball all that well. He's not as quick as Perine hitting the hole. We should utilize quicker backs that can win in the pass game and screen game. 

This offense needs to take a deep look at itself and figure out it's strengths. Develop those strengths more and evolve the offense by continually drawing up new and exciting plays to attack the weaknesses of the defenses we are playing. Haven't seen enough of this.
Reply/Quote
“Why get Evans snaps when we have better weapons like Thomas, Taylor, and Irwin to go to? Why should we target Hurst more with Chase out when Wilcox NEEDS some of his snaps? Why am I not still fetching McVay’s coffee? How did I luck my way into an NFL head coaching job?” - Zac Taylor (probably)
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know if Evans is the answer, but I am really getting tired of seeing Mixon diving onto the ground at first contact. It's like as soon as someone gets close to him he just dives forward to get a yard or two instead of lowering a shoulder and plowing through. I'm not sure if he's forgotten how he used to run, or if he just can't push off that ankle, but I'm ready to see less of him and more or Perine/Evans.

It's insane how much playing time and touches Mixon continues to get. 

In this game he had 15 touches for a womping 3.9 yards. And that's with a 14 yard reception late in the game on a 3rd and like 20. Take that out and he's 3.2ypr. Did Mixon have a single broken tackle?

No one else on the team had over 5 touches. 
Reply/Quote