Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
economist ethnically profiled,interrogated for doing math on American Airlines flight
So what if he had been writing something in Urdu instead of doing math??

Would that really have made a difference?
(05-09-2016, 05:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Maybe he's a weirdo and she's a paranoid freak.

Can the world handle that two people of that nature could be seated next to one another.

Or... does it have to be she's a nosey racist and this guy is a level headed genuis?

Clearly that can only be the only true black & white answer... right?

Except he's not a freak.  I don't know how level headed he is but he's pretty smart.

Her on the other hand.... Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-07-2016, 10:45 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Italians are... White (caucasian)

Italians are white as far as the Caucasian/European label goes, but southern Italians are dark enough to be mistaken for terrorists and the entire reason this guy was taken aside was because he was doing math while being white, but not white enough to be obviously NOT a terrorist.

Both sides of my family are from southern Italy/Sicily and I've been mistaken for a middle easterner more than 0 times.  It's not a huge deal, but I wouldn't trust someone to "know I'm white" from a distance in this paranoid age.

(05-08-2016, 10:23 AM)McC Wrote: Better to have ten thousand innocent people hassled than one guilty one bring down a plane full of innocent people.

I know this doesn't mesh with this artificial PC bullshit culture in which we live.  The real reality is that no one would want their loved ones to die because a suicide bomber slipped though the cracks.  You can't have it both ways.

Well, everyone is into PC bullshit of some type...some are just more popular than others.  A small percentage of veterans have been tragically violent due to post-traumatic stress disorder but we aren't treating them like a dangerous group to be profiled and feared.  Oy, I wonder how that would go over with the "poo on PC" crowd.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-09-2016, 05:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Maybe he's a weirdo and she's a paranoid freak.

Can the world handle that two people of that nature could be seated next to one another.

Or... does it have to be she's a nosey racist and this guy is a level headed genuis?

Clearly that can only be the only true black & white answer... right?

(05-09-2016, 06:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: Except he's not a freak.  I don't know how level headed he is but he's pretty smart.

Her on the other hand.... Mellow

I didn't say he was a freak.

I have known(and still do)some pretty smart weirdos though.

I'm guessing you have not met some pretty strange yet smart(and yes even successful)people?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Coming from someone with expierence. They don't like that F word you guys are using.
(05-09-2016, 06:20 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I didn't say he was a freak.

I have known(and still do)some pretty smart weirdos though.

I'm guessing you have not met some pretty strange yet smart(and yes even successful)people?

Oh...sorry.  That's what I get for posting at work.   Smirk

Yes successful people can be weird.

And that means they should be singled out by paranoid people on planes.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-09-2016, 05:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So what if he had been writing something in Urdu instead of doing math??

Would that really have made a difference?

That's the point I think got overlooked. Writing in Urdu or Arabic is what people from Pakiatan or Saudi Arabia would naturally do.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-09-2016, 06:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, everyone is into PC bullshit of some type...some are just more popular than others.  A small percentage of veterans have been tragically violent due to post-traumatic stress disorder but we aren't treating them like a dangerous group to be profiled and feared.  Oy, I wonder how that would go over with the "poo on PC" crowd.

The police and sheriff's departments do.
This is why they've requested the military surplus.
I've heard that deputies in my town are still worried, even in an Armored Personnel Carrier.
They worry that vets with the proper knowledge will use penetrator IEDs at a specific angle (regarding the undercarriage of the vehicle) to disable them.
I don't know if that's BS, as I don't have that knowledge.