Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
for the luv of GOD, a legit TE please !
(10-18-2023, 09:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well comparing him to Irv I’d say he has outperformed him. I don’t think anyone is saying he’s going to be a top TE.  People are just talking about the current roster.

The rest of your post is spot on.

You might want to look around because there were a couple posters who really really liked Hudson. Not even in a current roster way, but in general. One guy told me we shouldn't take Brock Bowers if he was available when we pick in the 1st round (we were 0-3 or 1-3 at the time) because of Hudson.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 01:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: Until Burrow gets the accuracy issues out of his system it isn't going to matter much who lines up at TE1.

I get what you are saying, but having a reliable TE1 that can catch and make plays is the type of thing that seems to get struggling QBs in a rhythm and increases confidence. We are seeing Burrow have to do that with short throws to Chase because we don’t have anyone to help out and get tough/any yards at the tight end spot.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 11:26 PM)Bengalion Wrote: What did happen to the Hudson hype train? Thought he was going to be the "next big thing". Drew Sample was drafted because Zac wanted a TE with blocking skills, and Smith Jr. is injury prone. I don't know why some fans think that the lack of a good TE is holding this offense back, I think we have enough firepower on the roster to put up points on the board. Of course having a player like Kyle Pitts would be a plus, but that should be a small concern for us since our offense is dealing with worse issues like the lack of consistence and the nonexistent running game.
Hudson is a stud and catches everything,he should be starting,I believe in him and he would be our answer until the draft.I am telling you this guy can ball,he just never gets a chance, Everyone please get on him train.and thrown the ball to Ervin more,the guy is a winner.hows come we see this and the OC  or Taylor does not ?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 01:57 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Hudson is a stud and catches everything,he should be starting,I believe in him and he would be our answer until the draft.I am telling you this guy can ball,he just never gets a chance, Everyone please get on him train.and thrown the ball to Ervin more,the guy is a winner.hows come we see this and the OC  or Taylor does not ?

I'm all for giving Hudson a shot.  He looked really strong in the preseason, but then again he didn't really get any time with Joe Burrow to build that trust connection.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Let's see what happens if and when Burrow starts throwing accurately again. If Smith still is invisible then a case for change exists.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 11:26 PM)Bengalion Wrote: What did happen to the Hudson hype train? Thought he was going to be the "next big thing". Drew Sample was drafted because Zac wanted a TE with blocking skills, and Smith Jr. is injury prone. I don't know why some fans think that the lack of a good TE is holding this offense back, I think we have enough firepower on the roster to put up points on the board. Of course having a player like Kyle Pitts would be a plus, but that should be a small concern for us since our offense is dealing with worse issues like the lack of consistence and the nonexistent running game.

I’d say the short yardage run game is struggling but we’re getting at least something on the ground in general.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 01:57 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Hudson is a stud and catches everything,he should be starting,I believe in him and he would be our answer until the draft.I am telling you this guy can ball,he just never gets a chance, Everyone please get on him train.and thrown the ball to Ervin more,the guy is a winner.hows come we see this and the OC  or Taylor does not ?

Probably for the same reason the coaches on the Bucs, the Giants and the 9ers passed on him. There's a reason. We just don't see it because we are not NFL coaches. Now don't get me wrong, I like what I see when he's on the field and players can improve. He catches well. But there's a reason....
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 09:10 PM)Housh Wrote: Honestly Joe has TE blindness anyway so i can’t really support signing any TE for more than 5M

Now if we get a Kyle Pitts or something that’s different but i am not punching the air when i see Irv only targeted once or twice

Part of me thinks he simply can’t be getting open if Burrow can’t find him

Trade Tee for Pitts
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 10:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They could bring in both Jackson and Jay Gruden to retool the offense, but it wouldn't be worth a drop in the bucket unless Zac Taylor agreed to give up play calling and they could convince Joe B to buy into the idea that deviating from what he likes (spread, empty formations) will result in greater overall production.

Agreed. Don’t even know why we have Callahan. To give suggestions I guess ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 02:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm all for giving Hudson a shot.  He looked really strong in the preseason, but then again he didn't really get any time with Joe Burrow to build that trust connection.

Even still, Hudson has the most yards of any of our TEs so far this year with the least amount of playing time. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Probably for the same reason the coaches on the Bucs, the Giants and the 9ers passed on him. There's a reason. We just don't see it because we are not NFL coaches. Now don't get me wrong, I like what I see when he's on the field and players can improve. He catches well. But there's a reason....

Irv Smith was a 2nd round TE who got cut by the team that drafted him before his contract even ended. Then no team signed him until the Bengals gave him a bottom of the barrel 1 year deal for less than 2 million. I don't understand why the Bengals are trying to act like they believe in him when they clearly don't, evidenced by his contract and how long they waited to sign him. 

Hudson has more yards than Smith and Sample combined.
Reply/Quote
We have sample. We traded up because he could block. Bengals never use tight ends very well. The receivers are the stars and they like it that way. But a beast of a thigh in would help at least in the red zone. I was hopping to keep hurst. He was a fighter.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 04:43 PM)TheFan Wrote: Irv Smith was a 2nd round TE who got cut by the team that drafted him before his contract even ended. Then no team signed him until the Bengals gave him a bottom of the barrel 1 year deal for less than 2 million. I don't understand why the Bengals are trying to act like they believe in him when they clearly don't, evidenced by his contract and how long they waited to sign him. 

Hudson has more yards than Smith and Sample combined.

Well to be fair: No player gets signed before a team signs him. 

I do agree the Bengals have gone "cheap" on TE. We hate on Irv, but the dude's just doing what he can and not getting paid much to do it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Read about a “hypothetical” trade with the Giants for Darren Waller. Typically these hypothetical trades are stupid, but this one makes sense. Wonder how much it would take to get him and does this team have the cap space?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The fact that we are talking about Hudson to bring something as TE #1 only solidifies that it is a problem.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 09:03 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Read about a “hypothetical” trade with the Giants for Darren Waller.  Typically these hypothetical trades are stupid, but this one makes sense.  Wonder how much it would take to get him and does this team have the cap space?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darren Waller would be very cheap in 2023 for the Bengals. They are only responsible for his base salary the per game roster bonuses (which would be 7 games less after today). He would count for about 1.5m against thr cap for 2023 and they could cut him for 0 dead cap after this year.

Now two reasons one by each team why it won't happen. The Bengals are at .500 right now and starring down the 2nd hardest remaining schedule. It only makes sense if it was a late day 3 pick and the Bengals climb to thr playoffs. If the Bengals go 0-2 over the next couple weeks then they need to be collecting draft picks if they can not giving them up. 

The reason the Giants won't trade Waller is more simple. The draft compensation probably won't be worth the 10 million they handed him at the start of the year when they traded for him and restructured his contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 12:15 AM)chopperbobby Wrote: We have sample.  We traded up because he could block.  Bengals never use tight ends very well.  The receivers are the stars and they like it that way.  But a beast of a thigh in would help at least in the red zone.  I was hopping to keep hurst. He was a fighter.

?

Gresham was a 2x Pro Bowler, Eifert was a Pro Bowler. Heck, even Uzomah had 2 solid years and Hurst had an okay year, and they're  both aggressively mediocre and have done nothing in their next location.

It's not that they're bad at using TEs, and it's not that the offense doesn't use TEs. We just have bad TEs. That's what happens when you don't spent any FA money on them and also the only two TEs you've drafted in the last 8 years are 2nd round blocking TE Drew Sample and 7th round 3rd-from-last-pick Mason Schreck.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 11:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ?

Gresham was a 2x Pro Bowler, Eifert was a Pro Bowler. Heck, even Uzomah had 2 solid years and Hurst had an okay year, and they're  both aggressively mediocre and have done nothing in their next location.

It's not that they're bad at using TEs, and it's not that the offense doesn't use TEs. We just have bad TEs. That's what happens when you don't spent any FA money on them and also the only two TEs you've drafted in the last 8 years are 2nd round blocking TE Drew Sample and 7th round 3rd-from-last-pick Mason Schreck.

Imagine a healthy Eifert back in his prime with this offense. The only knock on him was his health and lack of run blocking but he changed defensive gameplans when he was healthy. And that was with AJ Green out there too. This team has nothing at tight end to change a defensive gameplan, so that just makes it that much easier for the other team to prepare for, especially with not much of a threat out of the backfield.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I find it fitting we have a bye week for National TE Day. No need to celebrate, nothing to see here! Move along sir!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 01:47 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I find it fitting we have a bye week for National TE Day. No need to celebrate, nothing to see here! Move along sir!

LOL

Reply/Quote