Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
got papers at work! !!!
Well you see it everyday now mines shutting down. Ours seem to be thriving, just upended up a new mines. Not even 100 breaks back yet. Papers said there was going to be layoffs due to not enough coal being processed.

Hate to say this , but let's be honest does anyone want to lose their job? Bosses pulled me aside and said this wouldn't effect me. I'm paranoid as **** right now. What is there out there for an old dumb coal miner too do. If this mining, job is gone I'm afraid it's over. No more coal booms. Should I look for work in god forbid Lexington. I'm pretty good plumber and know a Lil electric. Hope this doesn't effect my family 28$ @ hr hard to come by around here. Sorry for rambling just devastating to get papers saying 63 jobs will be cut, I've got 12 years with them
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
My heart goes out to you guys in the coal industry. I work in a coal fired power generation plant so I can sympathize.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 08:33 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: My heart goes out to you guys in the coal industry. I work in a coal fired power generation plant so I can sympathize.

Ty, I think or at least hope it more about the new mines they opened. Sees they have next to nothing in production. 

Reply/Quote
Tough job, but a solid one that is quickly being eliminated. Lots of people are going to lose their jobs, and we are all going to pay higher energy bills.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Maybe you wont get hit.

If you do, check into displaced worker training. There are a lot of resources in Kentucky. Its one of the few things the state does really well. If there's more than a certain number, the company will have to provide training to those effected, otherwise the state has resources available.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 10:47 AM)Benton Wrote: Maybe you wont get hit.

If you do, check into displaced worker training. There are a lot of resources in Kentucky. Its one of the few things the state does really well. If there's more than a certain number, the company will have to provide training to those effected, otherwise the state has resources available.

I know a guy who worked in the lime mines here in Jefferson County.  When they shut down he had access to funds for re-training.  I don't know if it was from the union or the government, but he got certified in heavy machinery maintenance and ended up with a better job.  And it was just a technical program that didn't take him that long to complete.  It wasn't like going to school for years.

If I were you I would not panic, but I would also check into this stuff now so that you will be prepared to act immediately if the worst does happen.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I know a guy who worked in the lime mines here in Jefferson County.  When they shut down he had access to funds for re-training.  I don't know if it was from the union or the government, but he got certified in heavy machinery maintenance and ended up with a better job.  And it was just a technical program that didn't take him that long to complete.  It wasn't like going to school for years.

If I were you I would not panic, but I would also check into this stuff now so that you will be prepared to act immediately if the worst does happen.

Excellent advice Fred.  Prepare now so one does not get blind sided.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 08:23 AM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Well you  see  it everyday now mines shutting down. Ours seem to be thriving,  just upended up a new mines. Not even 100 breaks back yet. Papers said there was going to be layoffs due to not enough coal being processed.

Hate to say this , but let's be honest does anyone want to lose their job? Bosses pulled me aside and said this wouldn't effect me. I'm paranoid as **** right now. What is there out there for an old dumb coal miner too do. If this mining,  job is gone I'm afraid it's over. No more coal booms. Should I look for work in god forbid Lexington. I'm pretty good plumber and know a Lil electric. Hope this doesn't effect my family 28$ @ hr hard to come by around here. Sorry for rambling just devastating to get papers saying 63 jobs will be cut, I've got 12 years with them

Praying for you all.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 08:23 AM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Well you  see  it everyday now mines shutting down. Ours seem to be thriving,  just upended up a new mines. Not even 100 breaks back yet. Papers said there was going to be layoffs due to not enough coal being processed.

Hate to say this , but let's be honest does anyone want to lose their job? Bosses pulled me aside and said this wouldn't effect me. I'm paranoid as **** right now. What is there out there for an old dumb coal miner too do. If this mining,  job is gone I'm afraid it's over. No more coal booms. Should I look for work in god forbid Lexington. I'm pretty good plumber and know a Lil electric. Hope this doesn't effect my family 28$ @ hr hard to come by around here. Sorry for rambling just devastating to get papers saying 63 jobs will be cut, I've got 12 years with them

If you do happen to get up this way.....I have some connections in the construction business in the Lexington/Richmond area.  Good luck, I'd say that if they pulled you aside, you're probably in good shape.  However, fred and Benton have offered some excellent advice here too.  Never hurts to be pro active, rather than reactive. I feel for ya, nothing worse than uncertainty about your livelihood.  My dad and grandfather were both miners during the coal boom of the 70s/80s, but they were equipment operators in strip mines.  So, when it dried up, they found work running equipment elsewhere.

We're all Bengals fans, we....better than anyone.....should know the consequences of being reactive versus proactive! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I know a guy who worked in the lime mines here in Jefferson County.  When they shut down he had access to funds for re-training.  I don't know if it was from the union or the government, but he got certified in heavy machinery maintenance and ended up with a better job.  And it was just a technical program that didn't take him that long to complete.  It wasn't like going to school for years.

We had a lot of manufacturing in this area disappear in the last 20 years. A lot of guys ended up better off as they got out of chemical plants that were killing them, the nuclear plant that was causing cancer and other places that were dangerous, and instead ended up with jobs they liked better. If the training benefits are there, use them. A lot of guys ended up with a happier, more fulfilling life.

And no, it doesn't work out that way for everybody. But you've got to stay positive. 
Reply/Quote

This.

Prayers and thoughts to your and family - hoping you keep your job, but make sure you take advantage of the resources they hopefully provide. I had a similar feeling when i got my PTS (perform to serve) papers from the military. My career counselor screwed me and they told me I cant re-enlist, about 3 months before I was about to get out. Luckily I had my Associates degree to kind of fall back on. But it's still CRAZY to think how you're gong to feed your family after you get that confirmation... Thankfully that was plenty of resources for me to take full advantage of to make the transition fairly easy.

Hopefully things turn out ok for you. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the kinds words, hopefully my family and I avoid this. Ty Wyche for the offer. If worse comes to worse yo may hear from me

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 07:57 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Thanks for the kinds words, hopefully my family and I avoid this. Ty Wyche for the offer. If worse comes to worse yo may hear from me

Here's hoping that you're far enough up the seniority ladder that those 63 layoffs won't reach you.

But, if they should, like others have said, it's not the end of the world.  Rather just a new beginning to your next career.  Like fred mentioned, the technical programs in the Community College system are outstanding.  I'm a prime example.  I worked self-employed in the skilled trades for 20 years, when the bottom fell out on the banking industry, construction came to a screeching halt.  I went back to school, studied land surveying, gained the attention of my instructor, who has been my boss for the past 4 years.  I'm not making quite what I averaged from Tile and Stone installation, but as of next month, I will be eligible to apply for State testing toward becoming a licensed Professional Land Surveyor.  Gaining my license would mean about a 20-25K/year bump in pay.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

sucks dude, hope the bosses werent just lying to you about it not affecting you
Reply/Quote