Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
great Adam Jones article
Its so easy to see why football people can see him coaching one day. And explains why some players with lesser phyiscal abilities but a high football IQ make the team over what seems to be better physical players.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17445577/cincinnati-bengals-corner-adam-jones-shares-view-defense

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
For me, a lot of credit goes to Lewis.

I say that because I've heard both him and Burfict say as much.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely a lot of credit goes to Marvin...but give Adam credit for being willing to take that 2nd chance and run with it. We've seen far too many players hit the bottom and stay down in the gutter.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Man, if you would have asked me if Adam Jones would have flourished like he has when he first got signed, I would have said hell no! But one of Marvin's biggest aspects of the legacy he is building is that he is the redeemer. He'll give you a chance to prove that you can overcome your demons and make something of yourself, if you're willing to commit to his cause. Yea, that has been his downfall as well. No matter how you look at it though, that is what defines Marvin Lewis. Despite what happened in last year's playoff game, I think Adam Jones' attitude combined with his relatively new love for the finer details of the game is what makes him one of the best defensive players in the league. And the best part is, is that there is so much to come. I do not think Adam Jones has played his best season of NFL football yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 07:18 PM)pally Wrote: Absolutely a lot of credit goes to Marvin...but give Adam credit for being willing to take that 2nd chance and run with it.  We've seen far too many players hit the bottom and stay down in the gutter.

That's what so many don't seem to understand.  Yes, everyone wants to hold the Lombardi, but with Lewis, it goes much deeper than that.  He cares about what these guys do off the field and feels responsible to nurture that when he can.  

For us fans, especially the ones that financially support these million dollar salaries, we are quick to only see one side of it.  But truly, for the players, it's their 9-5 job, which is supposed to come AFTER family.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 07:41 PM)treee Wrote: Man, if you would have asked me if Adam Jones would have flourished like he has when he first got signed, I would have said hell no! But one of Marvin's biggest aspects of the legacy he is building is that he is the redeemer. He'll give you a chance to prove that you can overcome your demons and make something of yourself, if you're willing to commit to his cause. Yea, that has been his downfall as well. No matter how you look at it though, that is what defines Marvin Lewis. Despite what happened in last year's playoff game, I think Adam Jones' attitude combined with his relatively new love for the finer details of the game is what makes him one of the best defensive players in the league. And the best part is, is that there is so much to come. I do not think Adam Jones has played his best season of NFL football yet.

I'd say that Reggie Nelson is another great example of a player salvaged by Lewis.  Not for the same reasons, but definitely a top pick that was cast to the scrap heap.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Marvin and the guy once called the redeemer, Mike Brown.. I'm glad they take a few chances on guys, but glad they're not taking as many chances as they once did.
I like Jones. I like him as a person probably more than as a player. He's seen the bottom and came back from it and doesn't forget where it can lead him. I went through some bad times myself and pulled out. I have a lot of respect for people who actually earn the respect they have and know it can be lost in the blink of an eye. One thing I have no patience for are people who think they're entitled to respect. It's earned, not just given for the mere act of drawing breath.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Hey guys, hold your horses. Adam Jones is a loose cannon and Marvin Lewis is a loser remember? Mellow
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I am now forever going to be hopeful that Adam becomes a DB coach after his career and pulls the hair of some steeler defender when they are on the sidelines causing him to freak out and take a swing at Jones, resulting in a 15 yard penalty and ejection which ultimately costs the steelers the game.

Seriously, I was all wrong about Jones. I had my fill of problem guys with the 2005-2006 Bengals and I didn't want another problem child. He has proved me 100% wrong. I love the guy. He is not only the most underrated player in the league, possibly, but he is the heart and soul of the defense.

We should also give props to Zim, who directly told Jones in their first meeting: "I said no, I didn't want you". Adam took that to heart as well and won the coach over.

Keep it up, Adam. You are destined to win a ring here...hopefully this year.
Reply/Quote
Might be why he comes back from injuries so quickly. He plays more mental football which requires less of the body when you already know what you are going to do before the snap.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am now forever going to be hopeful that Adam becomes a DB coach after his career and pulls the hair of some steeler defender when they are on the sidelines causing him to freak out and take a swing at Jones, resulting in a 15 yard penalty and ejection which ultimately costs the steelers the game.  

Seriously, I was all wrong about Jones.  I had my fill of problem guys with the 2005-2006 Bengals and I didn't want another problem child.  He has proved me 100% wrong.  I love the guy.  He is not only the most underrated player in the league, possibly, but he is the heart and soul of the defense.  

We should also give props to Zim, who directly told Jones in their first meeting:  "I said no, I didn't want you".  Adam took that to heart as well and won the coach over.  

Keep it up, Adam.  You are destined to win a ring here...hopefully this year.

Interesting how Burfict has already indicated his pursuit will be coaching when he quits.  Guenther says he will be excellent at it.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am now forever going to be hopeful that Adam becomes a DB coach after his career and pulls the hair of some steeler defender when they are on the sidelines causing him to freak out and take a swing at Jones, resulting in a 15 yard penalty and ejection which ultimately costs the steelers the game.

Seriously, I was all wrong about Jones. I had my fill of problem guys with the 2005-2006 Bengals and I didn't want another problem child. He has proved me 100% wrong. I love the guy. He is not only the most underrated player in the league, possibly, but he is the heart and soul of the defense.

We should also give props to Zim, who directly told Jones in their first meeting: "I said no, I didn't want you". Adam took that to heart as well and won the coach over.

Keep it up, Adam. You are destined to win a ring here...hopefully this year.
Let me preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of Pacman the player, but...

I'm not too sure you were "100% wrong" about him. He has at least a couple off field incidents since he's been here. He had a bad neck injury at the time of the first; so who knows? He was also caught on camera smacking the shit outta some woman at a bar.

The woman he hit was obviously running her mouth his direction. He starts to walk away a couple of times, but always let her goad him into continuing the conversation. At some point she raises her hand with a bottle or glass in it, and he hit her. He should have kept on walking and left the situation alone. He was found not guilty in that incident, but...

A couple of years go by and the Bengals find themselves in a heated game on a rainy January night... All of the sudden Pacman notices a ******* named "Jerry Porter" mingling around his huddle. Instead of walking away (like Geno, MJ, and Dunlap), Pacman decides to try and swing at "Jerry" and bumps the referee... He put the final nail in our coffin.... He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 09:30 PM)jason Wrote: Let me preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of Pacman the player, but...

I'm not too sure you were "100% wrong" about him. He has at least a couple off field incidents since he's been here. He had a bad neck injury at the time of the first; so who knows? He was also caught on camera smacking the shit outta some woman at a bar.

The woman he hit was obviously running her mouth his direction. He starts to walk away a couple of times, but always let her goad him into continuing the conversation. At some point she raises her hand with a bottle or glass in it, and he hit her. He should have kept on walking and left the situation alone. He was found not guilty in that incident, but...

A couple of years go by and the Bengals find themselves in a heated game on a rainy January night... All of the sudden Pacman notices a ******* named "Jerry Porter" mingling around his huddle. Instead of walking away (like Geno, MJ, and Dunlap), Pacman decides to try and swing at "Jerry" and bumps the referee... He put the final nail in our coffin.... He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes.

My memory tells a different story about the woman at the bar incident.  He was acquitted because she started to throw a drink at him, and he swiped at it knocking it out of her hand. Regardless, he let her "running her mouth" engage him in the first place and that was a mistake.

As far as the steeler game, I would place him somewhere around 3rd in terms of "responsibility for the breakdown", with Jeremy and Burfict being #1 and #2, but I digress.  I look at that entire mess and remind myself that they more than likely weren't going to go all the way with McCarron as QB anyways, but the way they lost and the team that beat them is what made it such a horrible end to the season.

I also know that this team will have learned from it and I REALLY liked the business-like focus I saw from the #1s in the preseason.  Early injuries be damned, this team is on a mission, and it starts today. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My memory tells a different story about the woman at the bar incident.  He was acquitted because she started to throw a drink at him, and he swiped at it knocking it out of her hand. Regardless, he let her "running her mouth" engage him in the first place and that was a mistake.

As far as the steeler game, I would place him somewhere around 3rd in terms of "responsibility for the breakdown", with Jeremy and Burfict being #1 and #2, but I digress.  I look at that entire mess and remind myself that they more than likely weren't going to go all the way with McCarron as QB anyways, but the way they lost and the team that beat them is what made it such a horrible end to the season.

I also know that this team will have learned from it and I REALLY liked the business-like focus I saw from the #1s in the preseason.  Early injuries be damned, this team is on a mission, and it starts today. 

There is nothing better I would like to see than this team come together on a mission like I think Brady and the Pats will after the first 4 game suspension.

But again, they gotta make a believer out of me starting today.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 11:42 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: There is nothing better I would like to see than this team come together on a mission like I think Brady and the Pats will after the first 4 game suspension.

But again, they gotta make a believer out of me starting today.

They kind of have to do that each year, right?  We were all blindsided by the 2010 team that laid an absolute egg despite sky-high expectations.  I like Dalton having more and more control over the offense.  I started seeing what we needed in a QB out of him in his second start (I believe) that was a loss at Denver.  He  has had 9 wins in his worst season as an NFL QB.  He hasn't made the "what was he thinking play" in a long time.  I think his consistency and his determination will bring them another AFC North title this year.

As far as the Pats go, everyone is saying how they are going to break all these records, etc.  People have said the NFL "poked the bear".  I don't know.  Those early Pats teams were so dominant because Brady was a very solid QB (not great yet) and was paid next to nothing so a lot of that cap space was used on veterans that made the team so talented.  Once Brady got paid, they, like other teams (Seattle after paying Wilson) had weaknesses.  Their offensive line has had issues.  They haven't drafted particularly well, and despite outstanding coaching and game plans, that will eventually catch up to you.  I guess we will see....
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They kind of have to do that each year, right?  We were all blindsided by the 2010 team that laid an absolute egg despite sky-high expectations.  I like Dalton having more and more control over the offense.  I started seeing what we needed in a QB out of him in his second start (I believe) that was a loss at Denver.  He  has had 9 wins in his worst season as an NFL QB.  He hasn't made the "what was he thinking play" in a long time.  I think his consistency and his determination will bring them another AFC North title this year.

As far as the Pats go, everyone is saying how they are going to break all these records, etc.  People have said the NFL "poked the bear".  I don't know.  Those early Pats teams were so dominant because Brady was a very solid QB (not great yet) and was paid next to nothing so a lot of that cap space was used on veterans that made the team so talented.  Once Brady got paid, they, like other teams (Seattle after paying Wilson) had weaknesses.  Their offensive line has had issues.  They haven't drafted particularly well, and despite outstanding coaching and game plans, that will eventually catch up to you.  I guess we will see....

What I am basing my feeling on, with the Pats is this, SH, after the Chiefs ripped them apart 2 years ago, and they came back home and handed the Bengals their 'hind-ends', I told my son that they would win the SB, because Brady had something to prove and was on a mission.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but the suspension, could very well be the fuel to the fire that does the same thing this year.

As you said, time will tell!
Reply/Quote