Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home made onion rings
I had a lot of success losing weight this summer by cutting out carbs.  One thing I really miss is French fries or potato chips with burgers, sandwiches, etc.  

I recently realized that if I use almond flour to make the batter onion rings would be very low carb.  I have done one set of experiments, but now I am ready for a trial run on a large batch.

When I used batter on fresh onion rings the problem was that the batter fell off in the oil while cooking.  So I decided I will make frozen onion rings.  Hopefully that will keep the batter on the onions while they fry.  

First I am going to slice and separate the rings of onions on cookie sheets.  Then I will freeze them.  Once the are frozen I will make up some almond flour batter with egg and spices.  The almond flour gives just the slightest sweet taste but the first ones I made tasted kind of bland.  So I added lots of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and a little red pepper to the batter.

Then I will dip the frozen onion rings in the batter and spread them back out on the cookie sheets to freeze.  Once they are frozen I can bag them up.  A lot of the batter may still fall off when I fry them, but I will eat them anyway.  If too much falls off I will try baking them.

I also learned that I have to use wide thick rings of onion.  the onion part tends to shrink up some while frying and you end up with more bread rings than onion rings.

I promise to post the results, but if anyone has any tips on making home made onion rings I would like to hear them.
Reply/Quote
Keep tinkering. See you on Shark Tank. What if you added some glucomannan to your almond flower to thicken? Just a thought.

Edit: also, are you gently waving the battered onion through the grease before dropping or just throwing them in. From what I’ve read, it makes a difference.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have attempted them once. The level of failure did not warrant a second attempt.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 05:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I have attempted them once. The level of failure did not warrant a second attempt.

Don’t blame you. Even many store bought onion rings separate. But I think easing them in the grease vs shocking them may be the difference. I have zero proof, just what I read looking into Fred’s OP. 

WTS, I’ve been thinking of buying an air fryer. Maybe that would solve all our batter problems? I just don’t like the bulkiness of them and i don’t have much more cabinet space to give.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 06:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Don’t blame you. Even many store bought onion rings separate. But I think easing them in the grease vs shocking them may be the difference. I have zero proof, just what I read looking into Fred’s OP. 

WTS, I’ve been thinking of buying an air fryer. Maybe that would solve all our batter problems? I just don’t like the bulkiness of them and i don’t have much more cabinet space to give.

That’s the way I tried mine was an air fryer. That’s when I realized batter is not meant for an air fryer. And just the pain in the ass of battering them made it feel totally not worth all the hassle for a little side item.

Not long after I discovered Aldi onion rings. They don’t have them all the time. But when they do I recommend trying some. Probably not low carb. But in the air fryer they are better than anything you can get from a fast food place other than White Castle onion chips.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 06:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Don’t blame you. Even many store bought onion rings separate. But I think easing them in the grease vs shocking them may be the difference. I have zero proof, just what I read looking into Fred’s OP. 

If you already have a toaster oven, you can solve the space problem by getting rid of it and replacing it with a multipurpose fryer oven.  I have the Instant Pot Vortex (the 7-in-1 oven, not the dedicated fryer) and I love it.  

I’ve never tried it with anything that requires batter, though ...
Reply/Quote
I make some pretty awesome homemade onion rings.

Start with three fingers of vodka. Add in the juice of a lemon wedge, one spoon of sugar and stir. Toss in a couple ice cubes.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 06:18 PM)Benton Wrote: I make some pretty awesome homemade onion rings.

Nobody likes a braggart. But I may try your recipe when I get home today.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Low carb/keto people are the only ones that worry about flour while dunking things in a vat full of fat. Smirk
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 05:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Low carb/keto people are the only ones that worry about flour while dunking things in a vat full of fat.  Smirk

True because my body burns the fat for energy instead of storing it.

When I first heard about it I thought it was some stupid fad.  But it works and their is science behind it.  Not only do you lose weight but your cholesterol will not go up.
Reply/Quote
Any luck?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 08:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That’s the way I tried mine was an air fryer. That’s when I realized batter is not meant for an air fryer. And just the pain in the ass of battering them made it feel totally not worth all the hassle for a little side item.

Not long after I discovered Aldi onion rings. They don’t have them all the time. But when they do I recommend trying some. Probably not low carb. But in the air fryer they are better than anything you can get from a fast food place other than White Castle onion chips.

Yeah it's a hot plate and a fan.  Not great for batter.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 05:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Low carb/keto people are the only ones that worry about flour while dunking things in a vat full of fat.  Smirk

It definitely works if you have the discipline.  Which I do not.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 06:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: True because my body burns the fat for energy instead of storing it.

When I first heard about it I thought it was some stupid fad.  But it works and their is science behind it.  Not only do you lose weight but your cholesterol will not go up.

Everything in moderation. Your body will absolutely use carbs for energy. The key is not to go overboard and to actually use the carbs as energy. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Everything in moderation. Your body will absolutely use carbs for energy. The key is not to go overboard and to actually use the carbs as energy. 

Of course it uses carbs. That’s the whole point. If you are looking to lose weight, high protein/low carb is extremely effective. When you hit your goal you can move to a more balanced diet.

Reply/Quote
UPDATE

Limited success. Still have a problem getting the batter to stick to the onion rings.

When I made it thinner it all ran off. When I made it thicker it clumped on too thick.

I will keep trying.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: UPDATE

Limited success.  Still have a problem getting the batter to stick to the onion rings.

When I made it thinner it all ran off.  When I made it thicker it clumped on too thick.  

I will keep trying.

Soak the rings in egg goo?
Reply/Quote
Are the rings dry before you batter them? And free of any of that really papery thin membrane that's sometimes on the outside of the onion slices between each layer?

I've also found if I put them in oil that's too hot they fall apart.
Reply/Quote
My wife hasn't given me any for like a month. Why do I all the sudden feel the extreme urge to go out and buy some onion rings? Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 05:07 PM)Benton Wrote: Soak the rings in egg goo?

I might try that next.

That is how I "batter" fish.  I dip it in egg and then roll it in dry breading (usually just flour, cornmeal, and spices) 
Reply/Quote