Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ibuprofen and Alcohol
How long after taking ibuprofen do I have to wait before drinking alcohol?

Yesterday, when I was trying to run on the treadmill, my knee started hurting very badly and then felt like it was going to give-out on me.

A girl majoring in Exercise Science and all that said it's probably just because I haven't put that much strain on it in so long that, when I started running, it has just taken a beating.

Anybody know?

Just looking for a few cold casuals while I watch the game and get some wings, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply/Quote
I've washed down a couple ibuprofen with a cold beer before.
Reply/Quote
No idea. Just know they're not supposed to be mixed. I don't take a lot of Ibuprofen.

I could imagine your knee telling you to knock it the **** off though. Don't listen to it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You should be fine as long as we aren't talking about the prescription ibuprofen which can be pretty powerful painkillers.

If you've taken the lower dose OTC ones, you should be fine to drink a couple beers with them almost immediately.

I don't do painkillers myself, so that's something that I happily don't have to worry much about. Doctors say that certain OTC meds can be taken with a few beers, but I don't like the sound of that very much myself.
Reply/Quote
Crush up a couple Oxy Contins.....stir em in with some bourbon and water....THEN start power slammin' some brews. Wuss..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:32 PM)crispy Wrote: I've washed down a couple ibuprofen with a cold beer before.

I do this pretty regularly to help with hangovers. Your fine, just don't do it on a regular basis like myself.
Reply/Quote
i haven't died yet....
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How long after taking ibuprofen do I have to wait before drinking alcohol?  

Yesterday, when I was trying to run on the treadmill, my knee started hurting very badly and then felt like it was going to give-out on me.

A girl majoring in Exercise Science and all that said it's probably just because I haven't put that much strain on it in so long that, when I started running, it has just taken a beating.

Anybody know?

Just looking for a few cold casuals while I watch the game and get some wings, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you want the pain in your knee to go away? If you answered yes, then take about 4 over the counter IB  and wash them back with a couple cool ones.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 11:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Crush up a couple Oxy Contins.....stir em in with some bourbon and water....THEN start power slammin' some brews.  Wuss..... Ninja

We call that tha weekend around here Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 02:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you want the pain in your knee to go away? If you answered yes, then take about 4 over the counter IB  and wash them back with a couple cool ones.

Would that take the pain away by killing me?!
Reply/Quote
Take some ibuprofen for the inflammation and smoke a spliff to ease the pain. That way you don't have to worry about any harmful interactions.
Reply/Quote
The drug companies say that drinking alcohol while taking ibuprofen can increase the chances of stomach bleeding, but drug companies would not tell us that if it were true. Instead they would want us to have stomach bleeding so they could make more money off of that. So based on that logic it is probably BETTER for you to drink and use ibuprofen at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:41 PM)djs7685 Wrote: You should be fine as long as we aren't talking about the prescription ibuprofen which can be pretty powerful painkillers.

If you've taken the lower dose OTC ones, you should be fine to drink a couple beers with them almost immediately.

All joking aside, I think this is solid advice.  As long as you are not on prescription strength Ibuprofren or eating OTC motrin like candy all day every day.

I have a bit of chronic pain in one of my knees, but nothing bad enough to consider prescription pain killers.  Since I take them on a pretty regular basis I rotate between Ibuprofen, Naproxin, and Acetaminophen.  I figure they are all pretty safe in the doses I take, but I think too much of anything might have effects over years of use.

I remember when they first discovered Ibuprofrin's anti-inflammatory powers.  It was considered a bit of a wonder drug and pro-athletes were coming back from injuries in half the time it used to take.  Then they discovered that they were causing kidney damage with the massive doses they were using.  Kenny Easley was one of the greatest safeties in NFL history.  He was first team All Pro almost every year and was League Defensive Player of the Year a couple of times.  His career was cut short by kidney disease, and he claimed it was because the Seahawk's medical staff had him taking 20 Advils a day for three months to keep swelling down in his injured ankle.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All joking aside, I think this is solid advice.  As long as you are not on prescription strength Ibuprofren or eating OTC motrin like candy all day every day.

I have a bit of chronic pain in one of my knees, but nothing bad enough to consider prescription pain killers.  Since I take them on a pretty regular basis I rotate between Ibuprofen, Naproxin, and Acetaminophen.  I figure they are all pretty safe in the doses I take, but I think too much of anything might have effects over years of use.

I remember when they first discovered Ibuprofrin's anti-inflammatory powers.  It was considered a bit of a wonder drug and pro-athletes were coming back from injuries in half the time it used to take.  Then they discovered that they were causing kidney damage with the massive doses they were using.  Kenny Easley was one of the greatest safeties in NFL history.  He was first team All Pro almost every year and was League Defensive Player of the Year a couple of times.  His career was cut short by kidney disease, and he claimed it was because the Seahawk's medical staff had him taking 20 Advils a day for three months to keep swelling down in his injured ankle.

I'd question anyone advising me to take 20 of almost anything a day for 3 months. Definitely red flag territory it would seem.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I go to the gym four days a week, come home and take four OTC IBP and wash them down with a couple beers.

You'll be fine.

Note: If I die from this, someone please delete this post.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How long after taking ibuprofen do I have to wait before drinking alcohol?

Anybody know?

0.000 seconds
Reply/Quote
I call a couple 800 milligrams IBP and a couple beers breakfast.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Remember Brad,, You can ask any phramacist these types of questions. But ive never had an issue the only thing i try and avoid is taking tylenol and an asprin product at the same time or within a few hours of each other as that can cause stomach issues
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 03:33 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Would that take the pain away by killing me?!

4 OTC is about 800mg.

WTS, no way am I advocating you do such a thing or that it is totally safe; I've done this all my life the ease pain, until lately.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm a Naproxen guy. Ibuprofen has no effect on me whatsoever, even prescription strength.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote