Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
if Mike brown really wanted to win
(10-25-2016, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: Actually, after checking again the team trading takes the hit for the bonus, but In Thomas's situation there was little bonus mainly base. I believe the Bengals would only be liable for remaining prorated cap. It is possible, but there are still some other issues involved like future money that is high based on their ages.

Financially this would simply be a bad move. That isn't even looking at the idea of giving up high picks for older lineman.

If Stanley was the missing piece to make this a top caliber team, then I don't see how it could be a bad move. Stanley has several years left in him. Aging vets generally don't draw a high draft pick. We could offer a 3rd or 4th rounder.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:07 AM)BengalChris Wrote: If Stanley was the missing piece to make this a top caliber team, then I don't see how it could be a bad move. Stanley has several years left in him. Aging vets generally don't draw a high draft pick. We could offer a 3rd or 4th rounder.

His contract stays high for the next couple years which could be an issue. I am not sure he is the missing piece either, lineman a lot of times are products of the system they play in.
Reply/Quote
Would have made Marv Lewis GM.
Move Zimmer to HC.

But that ship has sailed, so I am doubtful of getting anywhere deep into the playoffs with the current coaching staff.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:11 AM)Au165 Wrote: His contract stays high for the next couple years which could be an issue. I am not sure he is the missing piece either, lineman a lot of times are products of the system they play in.

So, we'd be trying to resign Eifert at a high contract anyways and over the past 3 seasons he hasn't been able to make it to even half the games. That's one solution that would solve that problem. There are others as well. Players on the team, who's contracts are expiring, are not owed a job with the Bengals.

When healthy Eifert as good as anyone at the TE position, but we'd be saving ourselves from spending a 1st round pick in getting a top flight OT in the 2017 draft, so we could change how we might use our 1st pick next year.

Of course, this is not the Mikey way, and that's what this really comes down to, not salaries.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:31 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Of course, this is not the Mikey way, and that's what this really comes down to, not salaries.

This makes little sense. It isn't about "Mikey way" that is a hold over of years past that people like to fall back to. The reality is trading for 32 year old lineman who will demand a relatively high pick and count for 9 million in cap for the next couple years is not a good move. There is a reason big time trades are rare in season, it is tough to change teams mid year and often times it doesn't result in great success year one, which is the knee jerk reaction you did it in the first palce.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: This makes little sense. It isn't about "Mikey way" that is a hold over of years past that people like to fall back to. The reality is trading for 32 year old lineman who will demand a relatively high pick and count for 11.5 million in cap for the next couple years is not a good move. There is a reason big time trades are rare in season, it is tough to change teams mid year and often times it doesn't result in great success year one, which is the knee jerk reaction you did it in the first palce.

No no no no. It's always about the Mikey way.

You could make the deal contingent on Stanley agreeing to a restructured contract and bring that number down to 9M. There are things that can be done. And remember that Whit is nearing the end and his salary will be going away.

Simply put though, we won't even try. Why? Because it doesn't fit the Mikey way.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:46 AM)BengalChris Wrote: No no no no. It's always about the Mikey way.

You could make the deal contingent on Stanley agreeing to a restructured contract and bring that number down to 9M. There are things that can be done. And remember that Whit is nearing the end and his salary will be going away.

Simply put though, we won't even try. Why? Because it doesn't fit the Mikey way.

It is Staley first of all, if your going to want to trade for someone know his name. The guy has guaranteed money for years to come he isn't going to renegotiate his contract to go to a team that isn't a top contender. You keep going back to the Mikey way. The "new way" has built this team and gotten us to this point, bad coaching has eliminated us from the playoffs but not the roster. It really makes no sense to knock him for this, but it tends to be the crutch many resort to when they don't know where else to go.

The rumor is Browns and 49'ers both want 2nds and very few teams are even interested at that price, which means almost all other teams think it's a bad deal too.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 05:52 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Um well he better if he wants a job lol he don't make the decisions.if guys want to win a ring they'll do what it takes. And to answer another question yes it looks like our draft picks aren't that good.

You can't just move a career LT to the RT side. The footwork is different. Everything is different. The 2 positions aren't interchangeable...without extended practice time.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 12:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You can't just move a career LT to the RT side. The footwork is different. Everything is different. The 2 positions aren't interchangeable...without extended practice time.

I think that if we went out and got Stanley we'd keep him on the left side and move Whit, who could make the move more easily.

You'd easy him into the line up either way.

Reply/Quote
I dunno..Ogbuihi hasn't had a full season of anything yet much less a full preseason to practice. I want to believe he'll figure it all out before the end of the season, but my gut says no. However, my gut isn't a great indicator of much of anything other than hunger.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'd trade a second for Joe Thomas in a heartbeat. Don't think the Browns would want to trade him to us though, and even then LT isn't exactly our need. It's not Madden where you can just tell a guy to go play an entirely different position.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 01:11 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'd trade a second for Joe Thomas in a heartbeat. Don't think the Browns would want to trade him to us though, and even then LT isn't exactly our need. It's not Madden where you can just tell a guy to go play an entirely different position.

Oh yeah sure this isn't Madden can't just tell him to change position. Come off of it, that's why they say Cedric O is really playing out of position he played college at LT. Whitworth has also played guard.Rt is less harder to play then LT because of the pass rushers on the blind side. Whit can move to RT no doubt in my mind.but this is all for nothing because they are determined t make Cedric good win or lose, it's all about making him good.that's why our coaches suck from owner down to paul Alexander. And the way they talked in a article, Paul alexander is in charge of personnel on the o line.
Reply/Quote
I think your on to something.

I Mike Brown really wanted to win ________________________________

my answer is the obvious one. If Mike Brown really wanted to win, he would get a new head coach!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:39 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: What do y'all think?

I think the whole "MB doesn't really want to win" thing is completely idiotic.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: I think the whole "MB doesn't really want to win" thing is completely idiotic.

actions baby actions!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:40 AM)GodFather Wrote: actions baby actions!

Depends on what you mean by actions....baby.

If you mean what most fans cry about on here like "MB doesn't spend the money" BS, then youre part of the problem.
If you mean actions like hiring Bill Tobin and stepping back from over-riding decision in the draft, paying good money to re-sign players that deserve it and perform, and not listening to the knee jerk reactions of the fans, then you are correct.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:44 AM)Beaker Wrote: Depends on what you mean by actions....baby.

If you mean what most fans cry about on here like "MB doesn't spend the money" BS, then youre part of the problem.
If you mean actions like hiring Bill Tobin and stepping back from over-riding decision in the draft, paying good money to re-sign players that deserve it and perform, and not listening to the knee jerk reactions of the fans, then you are correct.

happy with an 0-7 playoff record with Lewis? 

actions...not doing anything is an action
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:53 AM)GodFather Wrote: happy with an 0-7 playoff record with Lewis? 

actions...not doing anything is an action

I thought we were talking about Mike Brown?

And if you think Marvin Lewis is the sole reason for losses in those playoff games....
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 12:00 PM)Beaker Wrote: I thought we were talking about Mike Brown?

And if you think Marvin Lewis is the sole reason for losses in those playoff games....

I don't think Marvin is the sole reason for the loss, because Marvin is our HC because of the way Mike Brown does things.  I don't think the Ravens would have 2 SB wins if their owner insisted that Ozzie Newsome be the HC and the GM at the same time, for example.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: I think the whole "MB doesn't really want to win" thing is completely idiotic.

He does want to win...as long as it's his way. "His way" involves way too much loyalty and "steady as she goes" to ever become a serious title contender. When you have some success, but stall out at the same exact spot umpteen times, you should at the very least consider some tweaks to how you do things.

(10-29-2016, 12:00 PM)Beaker Wrote: I thought we were talking about Mike Brown?

It's chain of command. If a company (team) constantly brings in new employees (players) and gets similar disappointing results, you start looking at management (coaches). If you've been through several supervisors, you start looking at the head manager (head coach). If the owner of the company refuses to look at the head manager, you start looking at him.

Ultimately,  the disappointment of these teams has to fall on Marvin and ultimately, Mike. 0-7 doesn't happen by some odd twist of bad luck.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote