Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
microwaving corn in the husk
It works! One ear in the husk takes about 5-6 minutes depending on your nuker. Two ears maybe 7sh or so. Its a trial and error thing at first. But once you get the right time down, nuke the corn in the husk then wait a few minutes before shucking. Cut stalk end off though as it should just come right out pretty easy. Great easy way to have some summer white sweet corn without having to boil water & all that jizz when its just for you or another. Its really hot tho, and stays hotter longer & tastes a bit better imo too.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
put them on the grill in the husk

(I wont even microwave canned corn)
Reply/Quote
now im hungry
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 10:29 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: put them on the grill  in the husk

(I wont even microwave canned corn)

I was skeptical at first, but it isn't like other things microwaved. It has to stay in the husk though, and it cooks/steams from the inside out. And I think it is a tad more flavorful than boiled corn.

Also I find puttin them on a grill in the husk overrated, as I never can taste the smokey flavor and it tends to be dried out. But what I do like to do is cook them til they are almost done, then char them on my charcoal/wood grill if I have it fired up.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 02:31 AM)Millhouse Wrote: It works! One ear in the husk takes about 5-6 minutes depending on your nuker. Two ears maybe 7sh or so. Its a trial and error thing at first. But once you get the right time down, nuke the corn in the husk then wait a few minutes before shucking. Cut stalk end off though as it should just come right out pretty easy. Great easy way to have some summer white sweet corn without having to boil water & all that jizz when its just for you or another. Its really hot tho, and stays hotter longer & tastes a bit better imo too.
eww. I think that may be what you're doing wrong.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 12:06 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I was skeptical at first, but it isn't like other things microwaved. It has to stay in the husk though, and it cooks/steams from the inside out. And I think it is a tad more flavorful than boiled corn.

Also I find puttin them on a grill in the husk overrated, as I never can taste the smokey flavor and it tends to be dried out. But what I do like to do is cook them til they are almost done, then char them on my charcoal/wood grill if I have it fired up.

Heck yeah, that works.  Oddly enough, I learned how to do that from a post on the old board.  A post by fredtoast, of all posters.  Back then, he actually posted some pretty cool stuff.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 02:31 AM)Millhouse Wrote: It works! One ear in the husk takes about 5-6 minutes depending on your nuker. Two ears maybe 7sh or so. Its a trial and error thing at first. But once you get the right time down, nuke the corn in the husk then wait a few minutes before shucking. Cut stalk end off though as it should just come right out pretty easy. Great easy way to have some summer white sweet corn without having to boil water & all that jizz when its just for you or another. Its really hot tho, and stays hotter longer & tastes a bit better imo too.

Bets thing about this is that absolutely all the silk just slides right off.

May not be as efficient if you are cooking a big pile of corn for a large family. But youi can't beat it for just a few at a time.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 06:35 PM)Benton Wrote: eww. I think that may be what you're doing wrong.

Well you gotta pas the time somehow while you wait for the water to boil.  Heard worse ideas.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Do you still soak the husk in water before nuking? How long would you soak it for?
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 09:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Do you still soak the husk in water before nuking?  How long would you soak it for?

We just wrap ours in a wet paper towel, seems to work just fine.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Careful, microwaves aren't terribly good for your brain  Ninja Ninja Ninja -  Ninja Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 06:35 PM)Benton Wrote: eww. I think that may be what you're doing wrong.

Sick  Corn with jizz.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 09:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Do you still soak the husk in water before nuking?  How long would you soak it for?

nope, just put the whole shuck in on a paper towel in case there is leakage

(07-21-2016, 09:29 PM)Sunset Bengal Wrote: We just wrap ours in a wet paper towel, seems to work just fine.

Never tried that, but I like how its so easy to remove the husk after it comes out, instead of messing with the corn hair when shuckin normally.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 09:03 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Well you gotta pas the time somehow while you wait for the water to boil.  Heard worse ideas.

Just tryin to toss out some handy ideas here. 

Reply/Quote
First, when did boiling water fall into the "too hard to do" column. Secondly, take it out of the husks, may aluminum foil pouches and put them on the grill.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: First, when did boiling water fall into the "too hard to do" column.

Boiling water is not difficult, but microwave is just so much easier.  What makes the microwave process so much easier is the removal of the silk.  It just all slides right off with the husk.

(07-22-2016, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Secondly, take it out of the husks, may aluminum foil pouches and put them on the grill.

Many people do not fire up the grill for every meal. PLus why go to all the extra work and expense of making foil packages?
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 11:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Boiling water is not difficult, but microwave is just so much easier.  What makes the microwave process so much easier is the removal of the silk.  It just all slides right off with the husk.

Many people do not fire up the grill for every meal. PLus why go to all the extra work and expense of making foil packages?

Oh, I'm not debating which is easier, the wording of the OP just struck me as funny.

It tastes better and saves on electricity.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: First, when did boiling water fall into the "too hard to do" column. Secondly, take it out of the husks, may aluminum foil pouches and put them on the grill.

I leave them in the husk in foil on the grill and remove husk afterwards... 

Ill argue nothing taste better in the microwave
Reply/Quote
Thanks Millhouse! I will definitely try it. I usually boil mine and then put it on the grill to char some of the corn. I like some of the kernels to get browned or dark. People love my corn doing it this way.
Reply/Quote
I've soaked mine in water and thrown them on the grill in the husk (no foil). Works well, although the suckers are awfully hot to husk after.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote