Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hobson talks about Hill, FA & HOF
(02-22-2017, 01:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, maybe some of that changes now that Tobin has had some time to work with Mike Brown.

There really is no reason to have Rey M on the team anymore.  He's not a fit in this defense.  I get the Adam Jones deal, but if he comes back and is in significant trouble over his issues, then I would cut him as well.

There is ZERO reason to not sign Dre, Z and Whit.

Tobin should be running this team. You have to think there's going to be a team in the next few years that's gonna hire him as a GM, we might as well promote him to that job. Keep Katie, Troy, and Mike far away as needed.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 06:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If the Bengals cut some dead weight like Maualuga and Jones how much would that free up ?

I'd keep Maualuga for his contract year and cut Michael Johnson instead, which would free up even more. ~$17.8 mil instead of ~$13.5 mil if I understand how the numbers work (which I probably don't). I mean you could cut all 3 but frankly everyone else is right - we don't need all this cap room. Keeping DreK, Zeit, Whit, Burkhead, and maybe even make a run at LaFell if you like (he will go from $2.5 mil to $6.5 mil) should be possible. Any other re-signings are depth (or in one case special teams) and should be roughly what you're already paying for them (TJ Johnson, Peerman, Winston, and possibly DL depth guys like Margus Hunt and maybe even Brandon Thompson if the coaches feel like he's better depth than Hardison and Dean and can somehow stay healthy in the future). 

I'm saying all this thinking we should draft 2 DEs, 2 OL guys (well I'd like 3 but 2 is more likely), 2 LBs, 1 CB, and depending how many compensatories we get use late round picks to get a kicker, then backup QB, and finally an RB (or possibly a WR if we lose LaFell but keep Peerman and Burkhead).

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In an interview with James Rapien, Hobson says that they are sticking with Jeremy, but want Rex back as well.

He says they Whit back, and he makes it sound like a done deal that Z won't be coming back, saying that "they can't pay everyone".

The first 7 minutes are about Bengals players not getting HOF respect, then it goes into the FA stuff.

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/james-rapien-56340/great-insight-on-the-bengals-running-15574203/

If I'm Burkhead and I hear the Bengals are sticking with Jeremy Hill, I want to play somewhere else then. Burkhead needs reps, and you can't provide quality reps between all of Bernard, Hill, and Burkhead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 02:22 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'd keep Maualuga for his contract year and cut Michael Johnson instead, which would free up even more. ~$17.8 mil instead of ~$13.5 mil if I understand how the numbers work (which I probably don't). I mean you could cut all 3 but frankly everyone else is right - we don't need all this cap room. Keeping DreK, Zeit, Whit, Burkhead, and maybe even make a run at LaFell if you like (he will go from $2.5 mil to $6.5 mil) should be possible. Any other re-signings are depth (or in one case special teams) and should be roughly what you're already paying for them (TJ Johnson, Peerman, Winston, and possibly DL depth guys like Margus Hunt and maybe even Brandon Thompson if the coaches feel like he's better depth than Hardison and Dean and can somehow stay healthy in the future). 

I'm saying all this thinking we should draft 2 DEs, 2 OL guys (well I'd like 3 but 2 is more likely), 2 LBs, 1 CB, and depending how many compensatories we get use late round picks to get a kicker, then backup QB, and finally an RB (or possibly a WR if we lose LaFell but keep Peerman and Burkhead).

There's no reason to keep Maualuga.  He is getting starters money for playing 30% of the snaps.
Reply/Quote
I think if they have any sense they would say they were sticking with Hill to the public no matter what, RB is a position that is going to be key during the off-season.

You got Burkhead as a FA which they want to bring back.

They could be in a prime spot to draft one of the top 2 RBs in the draft.

Not saying they won't end up sticking with Hill but they have nothing to gain by being upfront with their plan this time of year.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 03:52 PM)Derrick Wrote: The front office "works in mysterious ways"...

(02-22-2017, 12:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: So......Kevin Zeitler money. Mellow

I swear it feels masochistic to follow this team year after year, knowing they make idiotic moves like letting a Zeitler walk while retaining an overpaid scrub like Maualuga (who is legitimately washed up at this point) and a nearly washed up embarrassment like Pacman. 

The homeless guy that told the Browns to draft Manziel could make better decisions.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 02:22 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'd keep Maualuga for his contract year and cut Michael Johnson instead, which would free up even more. ~$17.8 mil instead of ~$13.5 mil if I understand how the numbers work (which I probably don't). I mean you could cut all 3 but frankly everyone else is right - we don't need all this cap room. Keeping DreK, Zeit, Whit, Burkhead, and maybe even make a run at LaFell if you like (he will go from $2.5 mil to $6.5 mil) should be possible. Any other re-signings are depth (or in one case special teams) and should be roughly what you're already paying for them (TJ Johnson, Peerman, Winston, and possibly DL depth guys like Margus Hunt and maybe even Brandon Thompson if the coaches feel like he's better depth than Hardison and Dean and can somehow stay healthy in the future). 

I'd keep MJ, I know he's not great, but he has experience and we know what we'll get from him. Cutting him won't save a ton of money this year, certainly not enough to upgrade the DE position. Draft one DE high and let him take more and more snaps as the year goes on and earn the job. Then move on from MJ next year once we have an established replacement. Then draft another rotational/backup DE in 2018
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 12:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: So......Kevin Zeitler money. Mellow

It's crazy when you look at it. I know they're going to look at extensions for Burfict and Eifert so they don't hit free agency. If you look at the rest of our 2018 FAs, Huber and Clark Harris are the only other big names. Everyone else is replaceable. When you get to look at the 2019 list, you get Dunlap and Atkins, who will be 30 and 31. Dennard and Ogbuehi haven't shown enough to have their options picked up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:08 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's crazy when you look at it. I know they're going to look at extensions for Burfict and Eifert so they don't hit free agency. If you look at the rest of our 2018 FAs, Huber and Clark Harris are the only other big names. Everyone else is replaceable. When you get to look at the 2019 list, you get Dunlap and Atkins, who will be 30 and 31. Dennard and Ogbuehi haven't shown enough to have their options picked up.

Burfict and Eifert shouldn't have huge increases in their cap hits though.

They both have a cap number of $4.75 million.  Even if you bump them both to $10 million per year You don't need to save $20 million for extensions for those 2.  It would only cost $12 million extra to keep both of therm.

The cap will also probably go up and you more than likely will see Whit in his last year (along with Rey M) which would clear roughly $15 million, so you might not even need to save ANY money to keep them.
Reply/Quote