Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next up-Aaron Glenn
(02-14-2019, 07:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: You mean the guy who couldn't coach a stop at the end of a game to save his life? We already had that in Austin.

It's time to just promote one of the DB coaches. We are getting mocked.
He was top ten in every category the year before. Lost both of his starting safeties and his best LB for the majority of the year last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 07:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

sigh

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
LOL...cant even get an interview with position coaches for the DC position. Unreal.
Reply/Quote
This is ugly. So what's the list at now?

Jack Del Rio - "wasn't a perfect fit"
Capers - turned it down
Dennis Allen - re-upped with the Saints
Vance Joseph - went to Cardinals
Aubrey Pleasant - Interviewed, nothing came of it
Todd Grantham - Opted to stay at Florida
Aaron Glenn - blocked by Saints

On to option #8? Or is it #9?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: You'll live longer than me it sounds like. That's certainly the way to think.

Believe me, it didn't happen over night.  It was preceded by a whole lotta frettin'.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Looks like the stars might be aligning for Rex Ryan? Not a fan of the guy’s personality sometimes, but he can coach defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looks like the stars might be aligning for Rex Ryan? Not a fan of the guy’s personality sometimes, but he can coach defense.

He might very well be the best choice and he might very well have been the best choice all along.  He certainly checks off a bunch of boxes.  And his guys do play their guts out for him.

And if you want aggressive, it's practically his middle name.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Okay, okay, I'll do it! Geez, enough of the begging and pretending to interview other people.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:26 PM)McC Wrote: He might very well be the best choice and he might very well have been the best choice all along.  He certainly checks off a bunch of boxes.  And his guys do play their guts out for him.

And if you want aggressive, it's practically his middle name.

Tiger I'm on the fence with this.

On one hand, everyone is correct, players will play for him and he knows defense.

On the other hand, he is a fit for what ZT is looking for? Good energy guy, good communicator etc....

then on the other other hand, can/will he work for a young 1st time coach ( all I see is Gary Reasons tugging on Dave Schula's hat on MNF)...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:45 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Okay, okay, I'll do it! Geez, enough of the begging and pretending to interview other people.

LOL.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:50 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger I'm on the fence with this.

On one hand, everyone is correct, players will play for him and he knows defense.

On the other hand, he is a fit for what ZT is looking for? Good energy guy, good communicator etc....

then on the other other hand, can/will he work for a young 1st time coach ( all I see is Gary Reasons tugging on Dave Schula's hat on MNF)...

That's the 64 dollar question.  I'm just gonna rightly or wrongly think that him taking the job would be him answering the question yes.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 08:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is ugly. So what's the list at now?

Jack Del Rio - "wasn't a perfect fit"
Capers - turned it down
Dennis Allen - re-upped with the Saints
Vance Joseph - went to Cardinals
Aubrey Pleasant - Interviewed, nothing came of it
Todd Grantham - Opted to stay at Florida
Aaron Glenn - blocked by Saints

On to option #8? Or is it #9?

Is this normal? Do other teams have this much trouble when changing coaches? Been so long for us I honestly don’t know.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is this normal? Do other teams have this much trouble when changing coaches? Been so long for us I honestly don’t know.

Good question.  Who can remember that far back?

Reply/Quote
Aaron Glenn

2016 New Orleans PASS Defense – 32nd in the nfl

2017 New Orleans PASS Defense – 15th in the nfl

2018 New Orleans PASS Defense – 29th in the nfl
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:33 PM)McC Wrote: I guess I've just gotten so old that I finally realized the futility of fretting about things I have no way to change.  It'll either work or it won't.  And only time will tell one way or the other.  We can debate it all day long but we just plain won't know until at least September.  It's a story, and the plot twists just make it more interesting.  Kick back and enjoy the show.

I'm not predicting some grand success, but if I did, it wouldn't have any more to back it up than to predict it will all fail.

Call me crazy, but I just have a feeling about this guy Zac.

I actually don't worry about this other than talking about it on the board.

Honestly, Del Rio is the only guy that would have been a Wow hire. The others all equally seem to have a decent chance, but no track record.

Grantham wouldn't have Wow'ed me. He was pretty mediocre in the Pro's.

Whoever we get...we need to upgrade LB for them to succeed.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 07:09 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: In all honesty just hire Marquand. The players fit his scheme perfectly.

He's been a pretty terrible DC. And his defense melted down in the SB.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 07:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It's all good, for now.

Elko or Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan would be a great hire. That said, I doubt he'd take it.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is this normal? Do other teams have this much trouble when changing coaches? Been so long for us I honestly don’t know.

Lol I was thinking that myself. I don't think it's normal? 

2003 was a long time ago though, and I don't pay THAT much attention to other teams.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol I was thinking that myself. I don't think it's normal? 

2003 was a long time ago though, and I don't pay THAT much attention to other teams.

It seems like only the undesireable jobs have trouble.

Most teams you offer them an OC or DC job and the #1 or #2 guys take it.

I think that Taylor being in a SB and having to wait so long to hire him worked against us in some ways too. The Bengals apparently didn't talk with him and arrange for the staff to be in place once he was announced.

Maybe the article we read about them fearing getting in trouble for hiring Taylor early was true.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems like only the undesireable jobs have trouble.

Most teams you offer them an OC or DC job and the #1 or #2 guys take it.

I think that Taylor being in a SB and having to wait so long to hire him worked against us in some ways too. The Bengals apparently didn't talk with him and arrange for the staff to be in place once he was announced.

Maybe the article we read about them fearing getting in trouble for hiring Taylor early was true.

I don't think the problem is that this is an undesirable job. We landed Mike Zimmer, who was a respected DC for his work in Dallas under Parcells, and our defensive roster was crap when we landed him. 

I think the problem is the other thing you mention: poor planning partially caused by not talking to Taylor til after the Super Bowl. Taylor setting his heart on an already employed Dennis Allen probably hurt us as well.
Reply/Quote