Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
parsnips
Very similar to carrots, but I actually like them better,

Cut them into 1 inch chunks.  Toss them in a little salt and melted butter.  Bake in the oven until tender.

Very simple, but it makes a meal sound fancy if you say you are serving parsnips instead of carrots.
Reply/Quote
Just sent me down a wormhole there fred. I'm now on my 3rd wikipedia page on root vegetables. This day is shot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Actually I don't bake them until they are mushy. And I am sorry that I can not give you an exact cooking time, but I let them bake until they are just getting a little soft then I brown them under the broiler.

My ex-wife used to cook them like this with a honey or sugar glaze like some people do with carrots.
Reply/Quote
parsnip chips are awesome
Reply/Quote
I've been buying a lot of vegetable chips in an effort to eat healthier snacks. They are basically an assortment of root vegetables in chip form. Parsnips are in the mix and I enjoy them quite a bit. They are the crunchiest of the vegetables used. They also include tarot, sweet potato, batata, cassava and yucca. They make a lemon and herb flavor that is outstanding.

I also buy fresh parsnips to feed to my iguana and my tortoise. They both favor them and relish any mixture I give them that's topped with shredded parsnips.
Reply/Quote
I tend to do a carrot and parsnip mix for roasting. I toss them in walnut oil and sprinkle with salt and allspice. Delicious.
Reply/Quote
Didn't the Millenium Falcon make the Kessel Run in 12 parsnips?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 03:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Very similar to carrots, but I actually like them better,

Cut them into 1 inch chunks.  Toss them in a little salt and melted butter.  Bake in the oven until tender.

Very simple, but it makes a meal sound fancy if you say you are serving parsnips instead of carrots.

Parsnips are very good. ThumbsUp

I cook them a little different. I put them in the crock pot in the morning and let them stew all day. Then, I slice them and pour on some olive oil.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Harvard lawyers argue which vintage wine or which caviar is the best. Tennessee lawyers take the high road and choose parsnips over carrots. Keep those white carrots, I'm fine with the orange ones, just seems more Bengalike.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 03:18 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Harvard lawyers argue which vintage wine or which caviar is the best. Tennessee lawyers take the high road and choose parsnips over carrots. Keep those white carrots, I'm fine with the orange ones, just seems more Bengalike.

Apart from mot being close to the same thing, orange colored carrots are actually a relatively new thing.
Reply/Quote