Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This day in history: Women got the right to vote!
(08-18-2015, 08:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Non-citizens had the right to vote in a number of states in the 1700-1800's. 

It certainly would not be unprecedented or unusual in our history.

Did any of the political parties offer the non-citizens free stuff paid for by the American taxpayer?
(08-18-2015, 08:34 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Did any of the political parties offer the non-citizens free stuff paid for by the American taxpayer?

I don't know, but we're talking about a time when states wanted to attract immigrants to increase their population and settle on their land. Some required the intent to become a citizen, but you can thank these policies for all the Germanic groups in the Midwest.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-18-2015, 12:19 PM)Benton Wrote: Because we were about 30 years after the first country to protect it under the law nationally? Id say disappointing, but not nauseating or disgusting.

Fair point. But this was a country founded on some high ideals, including equality.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-18-2015, 10:34 PM)xxlt Wrote: Fair point. But this was a country founded on some high ideals, including equality.

Unfortunately that ended pretty early in the 1800s. We went from equality and every person being equal to "every white guy with an acre of land." This country had an exceptional start, a nice resurgence in the 1860s and 1950s, but we're still pretty far off from our roots.
Just another example of progressive government trampling over the constitution and states' rights.

Ninja
(08-19-2015, 01:18 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just another example of progressive government trampling over the constitution and states' rights.

Ninja

I wasn't really for the regressive movement until I heard their slogan "We're going to party like it's 1899!"
(08-18-2015, 12:52 PM)Benton Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women%27s_suffrage_in_the_United_States

Pretty interesting to look at. It says Wyoming was the first, but I didn't know there had been the revocation of rights in all the states before then. I thought it was largely just left out of state constitutions.  

And ever since it has gotten harder and harder for a guy to get a sammich! Ninja