Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
"tHe BurrOw EffEcT"
(03-17-2022, 04:55 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Bro, the season is a wash. We resigned our backup QB lol.

Nothing i hate more than doing wash.

Except painting. And mudding and sanding. I hate that more. Then painting, then wash. 

And yes, i hate backup QBs. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals have been linked to multiple players that have chosen other teams over the Bengals.

I thought we were supposed to have our pick of the liter because we had Joey B as our QB? Every good veteran wants to come here because they have a chance to win a Super Bowl, right?

Fact is, the Bengals aren't getting competitive enough contractwise to sign these guys. There's no other explanation. Whether it's guaranteed money, years, amount, etc. is to be seen...

Meanwhile you have the Bills, Ravens, etc shelling out to improve their team because they know how close they are.

It aint over yet, but good/quality players (and honestly, affordable ones) are being scooped up more and more each day while this team still has a lot of holes. The lack of aggressiveness is a bit troublesome.

The level of flame you're getting is a little over the top.

All I'll say is that this will look silly if we wind up landing someone like Collins.

IF we don't land a big fish, I think this will be a fair question/criticism.

Until then, you jumped the gun a bit.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 04:14 PM)Bengal80 Wrote: Per Spotrac, only 13.1M cap space left. Not much for any large free agent.

Time to cut the dead weight.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 04:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nothing i hate more than doing wash.

Except painting. And mudding and sanding. I hate that more. Then painting, then wash. 

And yes, i hate backup QBs. 

I have an LG washer and dryer and it's the best shit ever. I go out of my way to wash things
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I have an LG washer and dryer and it's the best shit ever. I go out of my way to wash things

Sounds like your LG is better than the Bengals LG
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:46 PM)The Clapp Wrote: Sounds like you LG is better than the Bengals LG

I think karras is going to be the left guard
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The level of flame you're getting is a little over the top.

All I'll say is that this will look silly if we wind up landing someone like Collins.

IF we don't land a big fish, I think this will be a fair question/criticism.

Until then, you jumped the gun a bit.

If we land a guy like Collins then it's all good. Job well done. 

If we don't, then we are kinda screwed. 

A lot of eggs in the Collins basket. I hope it works out. 

The point about the Burrow effect is true though. Guys wanna get paid first win close second.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals have been linked to multiple players that have chosen other teams over the Bengals.

I thought we were supposed to have our pick of the liter because we had Joey B as our QB? Every good veteran wants to come here because they have a chance to win a Super Bowl, right?  

Fact is, the Bengals aren't getting competitive enough contractwise to sign these guys. There's no other explanation. Whether it's guaranteed money, years, amount, etc. is to be seen...

Meanwhile you have the Bills, Ravens, etc shelling out to improve their team because they know how close they are.

It aint over yet, but good/quality players (and honestly, affordable ones) are being scooped up more and more each day while this team still  has a lot of holes. The lack of aggressiveness is a bit troublesome.
Sorry but your entire post is ridiculous. To begin with you do not know what has been offered and what has not been offered you are simply assuming. Linked to means squat. The signings they have made to this point have been stellar and to even hint at a lack of aggression in the market is absolutely ludicrous. 

Cappa, Karras, and Hayden Hurst are all outstanding signings and that does not even account for immediately getting BJ Hill reupped and Eli Apple. What I would like to know is what these lots of holes are that this team has at this time.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:08 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Sorry but your entire post is ridiculous. To begin with you do not know what has been offered and what has not been offered you are simply assuming. Linked to means squat. The signings they have made to this point have been stellar and to even hint at a lack of aggression in the market is absolutely ludicrous. 

Cappa, Karras, and Hayden Hurst are all outstanding signings and that does not even account for immediately getting BJ Hill reupped and Eli Apple. What I would like to know is what these lots of holes are that this team has at this time.

At the time of the post it was CB, TE, and OL. 

Since then they have made the TE signing and the CB signing. Both signings were OK. Hurst and Apple are mediocre players. 

Hopefully they sign Collins and another high impact player. Job still isn't done. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If we land a guy like Collins then it's all good. Job well done. 

A lot of eggs in the Collins basket. I hope it works out. 

The point about the Burrow effect is true though. Guys wanna get paid first win close second.

Even if they do not and a Collins they are not screwed but nice attempt at creating false panic. Even when Riley Reiff went down last season RT was not the weak link on the line. The interior line was clearly the issue and it has been nicely addressed. We have some pretty good options at RT as it stands with D'Ante Smith, Jackson, Carman, Fred Johnson, and Prince.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: At the time of the post it was CB, TE, and OL. 

Since then they have made the TE signing and the CB signing. Both signings were OK. Hurst and Apple are mediocre players. 

Hopefully they sign Collins and another high impact player. Job still isn't done. 

Apple was one of the better corners in the league in the second half of the season and appears to be regaining the form he had been missing. It could be argued that without his contributions they do not advance to the level that they did.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:11 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Even if they do not and a Collins they are not screwed but nice attempt at creating false panic. Even when Riley Reiff went down last season RT was not the weak link on the line. The interior line was clearly the issue and it has been nicely addressed. We have some pretty good options at RT as it stands with D'Ante Smith, Jackson, Carman, Fred Johnson, and Prince.

If we are starting any of the players you mentioned at RT then yes, it is reason to panic. That's not going to cut it, especially if you're trying to win a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If we land a guy like Collins then it's all good. Job well done. 

How are we "screwed"?

We had 6 starers who were free agents (2 OL, DT, TE, S, CB)  and we signed 6 starters in free agency (2 OL, DT, TE, S, CB).  The two starting O-linemen are talent upgrades and a lot younger.  Every other signing was at least break even.

So over all talent level has increased, and any moves we make from this point forward will not just be "treading water" or filling holes by missing players.  Instead they will all be upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If we are starting any of the players you mentioned at RT then yes, it is reason to panic. That's not going to cut it, especially if you're trying to win a Super Bowl.

We don't know what Carman or Smith will play like this year.  Either one of them could improve a lot and be a decent starter.  

Johnson and Prince are undrafted free agents who have been in the league a year or two.  I don't look for either of them to make dramatic improvements.

But I don't want to just hand the RT job to Carman/Smith.  At the very least I hope we sign a mid-tier ($4-$6 million) veteran starting RT for a 1 year deal.

When we were a struggling crappy team desperate for talent I understood giving Michael Jordan another year as starter to try and develop.  But we cant do that now.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But I don't want to just hand the RT job to Carman/Smith.  At the very least I hope we sign a mid-tier ($4-$6 million) veteran starting RT for a 1 year deal.
Agreed.  As it stands now priority one is securing the RT position, priority two is adding depth in the interior OL.
Lateral move at TE is fine.  Apple is fine.  They were one more second in the pocket away from winning the Super Bowl.  They've already done more than they've traditionally done in FA before the draft.  Breaking the bank on FA just doesn't make sense on a young team with this much talent.
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling that this thread is going to age very poorly.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:03 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I have a feeling that this thread is going to age very poorly.

I understand what OP meant though. Some people were expecting the best players to sign with the bengals for cheap to win a championship.

It hasn’t been that. It’s been value guys so far. Like years past.

Good signings though for sure. If they can snag Collins for RT, then that would be the Burrow effect that everyone was talking about
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:06 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I understand what OP meant though. Some people were expecting the best players to sign with the bengals for cheap to win a championship.

It hasn’t been that. It’s been value guys so far. Like years past.

Good signings though for sure. If they can snag Collins for RT, then that would be the Burrow effect that everyone was talking about

I have yet to see anyone who thinks players looking for  huge pay day with contract #2 in the NFL believe because of Borrow they will sign for a huge discount. But, i do see signs of players openly saying they would like to play with Joe Burrow, That did not happen with Palmer or Dalton on any Bengals QB I can remember,

Joe made us a possible destination for many who would have never considered it not long ago.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 03:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Bengals sign Collins and Tretter, Bengals will have at least top 10 OL.

No doubt, that would be the most ideal scenario. Good luck beating this team with an O-line of that caliber...
Reply/Quote
The so-called Burrow effect doesn't really come into play for the guys that are simply out there looking for money or guys that the Bengals aren't going to spend a ton of money on.

Do I think a guy like Hurst signed here because of Burrow - no doubt in my mind, and he came cheap.
Do I think we see a couple late vets added because they feel that there is simply a better chance to win here because of Burrow - without question.

But there's no reason for a guy like Conklin to take a 3.5 million dollar deal to come here.
Reply/Quote