Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
"tHe BurrOw EffEcT"
(03-17-2022, 02:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Again, look at the spreadsheet and look at how many tier 1-2 players are left at positions of need for the Bengals. There aren't many. 

2022 FA Sheet - Google Sheets

I understand the angst. I'm checking in here every ten minutes for four days now and even get on the computer in the middle of the night for any updates.

But the fact that the front office already made agreements with two excellent glass-eaters at the area of biggest need gives me confidence they are working hard right now. Still going to check into Jungle Noise every ten minutes until something breaks.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Again, look at the spreadsheet and look at how many tier 1-2 players are left at positions of need for the Bengals. There aren't many. 

2022 FA Sheet - Google Sheets

We don’t need tier one starters at every spot. We can’t afford tier one starters at every spot. No team can. We could still easily sign Tretter, Collins and Apple (bringing him back means no new hole). Only losses would be CJ (id much rather use they $8 mil on o line myself) and Larry who we knew we couldn’t keep if we were bringing Bj back. We’d have a vastly improved o line, virtually same defense and offensive weapons, and still have the draft to add depth and maybe a decent contributor. Oh and hopefully a healthy Ossai.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A lot depends on what they do at RT, but upgrading 2 spots on the IOL is being severely downplayed on this board right now. If those signings were spread out by a day or two people wouldn’t be freaking out so much, imo. It just feels like forever ago at this point.

Those two upgrades are great if they keep the rest of the positions at the same level or upgraded going into the draft.
My priority the rest of this FA period is RT. There are some TEs I like in Rds 2-4 that I think could sufficiently replace Uzomah on the field, but they may not quite be at that level from Day 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think people are freaked out that RT and LG aren't addresses...especially as they see targets at these positions signing.

I understand that.  There was a thread before free agency where someone asked what we should expect.  I replied and said don't be upset if there are no blockbuster deals made but they will make some moves to improve, or something like that, which is what has happened so far.  Free agency isn't even over yet.   There are still players out there that can help improve the team and fill some other holes.  Maybe not some top 25 player at that their position, but I don't think the Bengals need to sign a bunch of all-pros or pro bowlers to repeat last years success.  

Anyway, all I heard after the Super Bowl was ,"The Bengals better sign some O-line free agents to protect Burrow."   They did that on day one, within hours of it starting, and now people are still unhappy even though free agency isn't over with.   Sigh..

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Are there any reports we are actually in on Armstead?

Nothing explicit, but even if we aren't targeting him, I think most free agent tackles are waiting on him to sign before they agree to terms. He's going to set the OT market, most likely, so whatever he gets will be the cap that other players will strive for.

No player wants to jump the gun and sign for much less than what the market may have yielded for him had he been more patient (arguably what Moses did).
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So he's a post-June 1 cut. But they can cut him now right and designate him as that?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes you can designate 2 players a year as post June 1 players to help with cap. You can cut them before hand but the June 1 cap savings don’t hit your books until June 1 gets here.

You cannot trade a player prior to June 1 and still get the same cap help. I think that’s been missed by a lot of fans and reporters. Play with the OTC.com trade/cut feature and you’ll see it really never made sense for them to trade him now unless they were getting killer draft capital in return.

They could get the same cap savings if they hold him until June 1 and then trade him as they get from cutting him now with the post June 1 designation. They owe him cash on 3/20 and don’t want to pay it which is why they are doing this now instead of later.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:21 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: It’s been one day

Why do people keep saying it’s been one day when it’s been like 4?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:42 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Pick out any team in the league you want and the same thing can be said. It’s day 2 of FA. There are tons of FA’s still available. We won’t have “literal holes” on our roster by the time the draft rolls around. Deep breath.

I know it would be great if the Bengals got first dibs on every FA and had a week to sign all the guys they wanted before the rest of the NFL was allowed to, but that’s not how it works. Every team is going through the same process. And it’s just that, a process. Good players like Tretter are still being cut, Collins could soon too or we could be waiting on Dallas to accept our trade. A lot is going on behind the scenes in Cincy and every other NFL city. It’s a process. It’s a process. It’s a process. Anyone that can’t handle it should really check out for 2 weeks and come back closer to the end.

It's not really Day 2 of FA though, it's Day 4. Yesterday was just when the signings could become official.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals have been linked to multiple players that have chosen other teams over the Bengals.

I thought we were supposed to have our pick of the liter because we had Joey B as our QB? Every good veteran wants to come here because they have a chance to win a Super Bowl, right?  

Fact is, the Bengals aren't getting competitive enough contractwise to sign these guys. There's no other explanation. Whether it's guaranteed money, years, amount, etc. is to be seen...

Meanwhile you have the Bills, Ravens, etc shelling out to improve their team because they know how close they are.

It aint over yet, but good/quality players (and honestly, affordable ones) are being scooped up more and more each day while this team still  has a lot of holes. The lack of aggressiveness is a bit troublesome.

I just laugh when i read that from anyone. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think people are freaked out that RT and LG aren't addresses...especially as they see targets at these positions signing.

I'm not worried about LG.
Bengals still have Hopkins on the roster, so he can cover C while Karras covers LG. Or vice versa.
My concerns are RT (Prince incumbent) and TE (Sample incumbent).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So can Collins say he's going to sign with the Bengals or do we have to wait till June 1st? That would be miserable.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Having Tom Brady, Joe Burrow, Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson or any elite QB on your roster does not mean the whole world wants to play football for your squad. If that's how people interpreted the "Burrow effect" then they need to rethink the framework. The Burrow effect means you get a guy to sign with you that maybe wouldn't have considered the team prior. Again, Cappa and Karras might not have signed without Burrow. Hill might not have resigned. We just don't know for certain.

Many players only get one chance at that second big contract. Players want to live somewhere geographically important to them. Players have families and friends influencing where they live. There are other factors that trump the "play with (insert elite QB name)..."

I've been that shameful fan calling this team the Bungles since I suffered through the '90s, but now isn't the moment to be doom & gloom as a Bengals fan. Let's at least let the off-season play out, trust Duke/Zac/etc since they just took us to the Super Bowl, and exercise patience for the next few days. Free agency isn't over and the draft is still ahead of us. This team can still improve.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You aren't bringing in Karras "to compete" and you aren't paying Hopkins 6 million to ride pine. 

No but they could play him at LG which is what I meant if Hopkins at center and Karras at LG is the best lineup. Regardless I think they are keeping Hopkins or would have released him as soon as they got Karras. Don’t you think? Maybe they are waiting on Collins until they need the money
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals have been linked to multiple players that have chosen other teams over the Bengals.

I thought we were supposed to have our pick of the liter because we had Joey B as our QB? Every good veteran wants to come here because they have a chance to win a Super Bowl, right?  

Fact is, the Bengals aren't getting competitive enough contractwise to sign these guys. There's no other explanation. Whether it's guaranteed money, years, amount, etc. is to be seen...

Meanwhile you have the Bills, Ravens, etc shelling out to improve their team because they know how close they are.

It aint over yet, but good/quality players (and honestly, affordable ones) are being scooped up more and more each day while this team still  has a lot of holes. The lack of aggressiveness is a bit troublesome.

you beat me to it on this post...I was thinking the same thing. really when you think about it..it all boils down to the mighty $$ 99% of the time., especially with the younger players on thier first FA run.... Not sure whats going on but the silence is deafening and watching these other AFC teams score good deals we seemed to have been able to pull off is a head scratcher. I cant understand the Moses  thing... I mean it seemed like a great fit cash wise too.  after 70 f' ing sacks are we really rolling with Prince at LT ??! i hope they have some better news soon...we cant rely on draft for a critical need like this.  
Reply/Quote
We signed 2 oline on 1st day, 2 we wanted I'm sure, we might not sign another FA oline and use the draft for our franchise tackle pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 03:00 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yes you can designate 2 players a year as post June 1 players to help with cap. You can cut them before hand but the June 1 cap savings don’t hit your books until June 1 gets here.

You cannot trade a player prior to June 1 and still get the same cap help. I think that’s been missed by a lot of fans and reporters. Play with the OTC.com trade/cut feature and you’ll see it really never made sense for them to trade him now unless they were getting killer draft capital in return.

They could get the same cap savings if they hold him until June 1 and then trade him as they get from cutting him now with the post June 1 designation. They owe him cash on 3/20 and don’t want to pay it which is why they are doing this now instead of later.

That's what I've been trying to say.  Thank you for explaining it better.  We've pretty much wasted an entire thread about giving nothing, 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounders, etc....  and people say that we won't have a civil war again this year.  PFFFT!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have to be all in on Collins. I see no other explanation.

I think you and others are correct.  I sensed Armstead for a while but I hope Collins is the fit.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 03:12 PM)QueenCity Wrote: So can Collins say he's going to sign with the Bengals or do we have to wait till June 1st? That would be miserable.

He’ll be like any other FA. Free to turn around and sign anywhere immediately. Post June 1 designation is just for bookkeeping purposes. They just pretend like he wasn’t cut until June 1 but he is still cut today like any other cut.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 03:12 PM)QueenCity Wrote: So can Collins say he's going to sign with the Bengals or do we have to wait till June 1st?  That would be miserable.

He can sign now I believe and his price is going to be 16-18 mil per I believe and likely wants ransom guarantee.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
If Bengals sign Collins and Tretter, Bengals will have at least top 10 OL.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote