Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the "new" Colonel Sanders
Los Pollos Hermanos beats them all. And if it can't beat them, it kills them.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2015, 07:51 PM)Edge Wrote: Is it wrong to portray the man as they did? No. Free country, freedom of speech.

I feel sorry for people who are unable to make a judgement about any comment made by any person at any time.

Just because we have freedom of speech does not mean that we are unable to make a judgment about what is being said.

(06-25-2015, 07:51 PM)Edge Wrote:  There will be someone, somewhere, that takes offense to anything, and pressure the rest to fall into line with their line of thinking and belief as to what is PC.

How does anything I have said have anything to do with political correctness?  Do you even know what that term means?
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2015, 07:51 PM)Edge Wrote: Firstly, I'm not bashing you fred, just the opposite. Positive Rep in fact. In general you just validated my suspicion of how the general public would react to these spots.

A few weeks back when I had seen the first commercial I told my wife "It is only a matter of time before someone, or several, start complaining about a stupid commercial calling it blasphemy and disrespectful yada-yada-yada.... maybe start a petition, have the spots removed from tv....so on & on..."

I could care less about the ads one way or the other personally - as there are so many friggin ads that drive one batty, but this goes to prove my point being simply - nothing in this country can be let alone. There will be someone, somewhere, that takes offense to anything, and pressure the rest to fall into line with their line of thinking and belief as to what is PC.

I have every bit of belief that in time, backlash from society forces KFC to pull the plug on this. Not poor response to the ads mind you, but backlash.

Is it wrong to portray the man as they did? No. Free country, freedom of speech.

Is it disrespectful? Sure, to those who admire the man for what he had accomplished. But who is to say he didn't have a sense of humor and wouldn't have approved??? Not me. I didn't know the man. Not my place. I trust the bigwigs at KFC must have known he'd be ok with it. Maybe they consulted his family, or next of kin, or children if any? Who knows? And that is fine with me. They want to run their childish commercials, have at it.

Time will tell if I'm right, and somewhere there is growing pressure to stop the ads due to the Colonel's perceived negative image. 

But commercials are all about public opinion.  They want you to buy their product, and it the commercial stinks then they have failed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2015, 08:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Los Pollos Hermanos beats them all. And if it can't beat them, it kills them.

They've gone downhill ever since their owner mysteriously disappeared.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I hate the new KFC Commercials but I hated those Quiznos Commercials with that stupid rat even more.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: They've gone downhill ever since their owner mysteriously disappeared.

Yeah. Cynthia just isn't the manager she was expected to be...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think I know why the new Colonel annoys me so much.

This guy is doing him with GWB's voice and laugh.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 05:08 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Its Darrell Hannah you dolts. He was on SNL for years, did the best Bill Clinton ever.

You called them dolts, yet got the guy's name wrong. :)
It's Hammond.
Reply/Quote
Appreciate the sentiment of the OP, but there is something I don't think anyone else noted. Ronald McDonald was always a character. I realize he is dead now but Colonel Harland Sanders was an actual human being. I mean, I guess now he is a logo or a brand or a media device or whatever you want to call him, but he wasn't "supposed to be a southern gentleman" he was an actual human being who served fried chicken to other actual human beings "family style" in his first restaurant in Corbin Kentucky and later morphed it into a chain, which he sold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2015, 07:51 PM)Edge Wrote: Is it wrong to portray the man as they did? No. Free country, freedom of speech.

Wait, so now we are using the Constitution as a means to defend crappy advertising campaigns?  What's next..."Sure, Dalton threw an interception, but you can't bench him because freedom of speech, man."
Reply/Quote