Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the "new" Colonel Sanders
(06-24-2015, 01:52 PM)Benton Wrote: The chicken, I agree. Sides, too. If people didn't like it, KFC wouldn't be a multi-national chain.

But I don't know anybody that tried a double down, or the bowl with everything in it. And I know like a dozen people. Maybe more. And if you've never seen anyone and don't know anyone who has ever tried something, there's a good bet people weren't eating them.

I've had their famous bowls. It was okay, but it's been a long time since I've had one. For me, KFC has gone downhill when it comes to quality food. All of the ones that I've gone to in Reno/Spokane/Portland/Vancouver have been below average. My wife was a big fan, but when we moved to the Portland area, she noticed the poor quality.

I don't have the luxury of Chick-fil-A in the Northwest, but we have Popeyes and that's been a blessing when we crave chicken.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Its Darrell Hannah you dolts. He was on SNL for years, did the best Bill Clinton ever.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 04:52 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I've had their famous bowls. It was okay, but it's been a long time since I've had one. For me, KFC has gone downhill when it comes to quality food. All of the ones that I've gone to in Reno/Spokane/Portland/Vancouver have been below average. My wife was a big fan, but when we moved to the Portland area, she noticed the poor quality.

I don't have the luxury of Chick-fil-A in the Northwest, but we have Popeyes and that's been a blessing when we crave chicken.

The ones here have gone downhill. The one in my hometown just closed. It was hands down the nastiest restaurant I've ever been in. It wasn't the chains fault, really, just a long string of bad managers. You never saw locals in there, just interstate traffic.

We go to/through Nashville a lot, though, and they're always good in that area. I think it just boils down to management.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 05:08 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Its Darrell Hannah you dolts. He was on SNL for years, did the best Bill Clinton ever.

He's also the new voice of SNL now that Dan Pardo passed.

(06-24-2015, 05:10 PM)Benton Wrote: The ones here have gone downhill. The one in my hometown just closed. It was hands down the nastiest restaurant I've ever been in. It wasn't the chains fault, really, just a long string of bad managers. You never saw locals in there, just interstate traffic.

We go to/through Nashville a lot, though, and they're always good in that area. I think it just boils down to management.

Agreed on the management. It just seems that more and more of them are under bad management nowadays. I remember KFC being my favorite chain to visit, then one day I ordered some tenders and held some yellow fried chicken in my hand. I never saw that "golden" color again. It was always just kind of yellow.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure I'm alone on this one, but one of those new commercials where he's talking about baseball is hilarious.

He says "If there's two things I'm certain of, It's 1. Baseball will always be America's number one sport, free from corruption, scandal and cheating of any kind." Lol
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 04:52 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I've had their famous bowls. It was okay, but it's been a long time since I've had one. For me, KFC has gone downhill when it comes to quality food. All of the ones that I've gone to in Reno/Spokane/Portland/Vancouver have been below average. My wife was a big fan, but when we moved to the Portland area, she noticed the poor quality.

Popeyes is awesome. Like you, I loved KFC but moved away from it when the quality began fading.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 05:08 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Its Darrell Hannah you dolts. He was on SNL for years, did the best Bill Clinton ever.

So is it:

[Image: daryl-hannah_photo.jpg]

- or -

[Image: darrell-hammond2.jpg]

???

Big Grin
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know how that happened

Let me take a guess...

Fred takes monster hit from favorite bong, holds too long, exhales as KFC commercial is on.  Gets bright idea for thread, then posts thread with title spelled wrong. Wink

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let me take a guess...

Fred takes monster hit from favorite bong, holds too long, exhales as KFC commercial is on.  Gets bright idea for thread, then posts thread with title spelled wrong. Wink

You spelled dong wrong.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 07:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: You spelled dong wrong.

Yes, yes I did. Mellow

I seem to be slipping a bit, in my old age.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, yes I did. Mellow

I seem to be slipping a bit, in my old age.

Maybe Darryl Hannah will strap on a drumstick and give Fred some "finger lickin' good"...  colonial style of course.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 09:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Maybe Darryl Hannah will strap on a drumstick and give Fred some "finger lickin' good"...  colonial style of course.

Only if she gave him wetnaps, as he is, after all, a true Southern Gentleman...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 02:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It's garbage, fatty chicken.  I've got nothing against fast food fried chicken, but KFC is disgusting.  I love fried chicken, but I'd just assume eat something else before subjecting myself to KFC.

Since they are a franchised chain you would think that the quality would be close to the same at all the locations.  But I used to go to one in Knoxville where the oil would literally pour out of the chicken in a stream when you bit into it.  I eat a lot of nasty food, but that was too much even for me.

The one close to where I live is not that bad, but the only time I go there (and it isn't very often) is when I have a craving for chicken livers.  God I love those things with mashed taters, gravy, and slaw.

Back to the original topic.  Harlan Sanders was a hard-working, down to earth gentleman who did not get wealthy until he was in his sixties.  it is a shame they have turned him into an idiot clown character. His original store was in Corbin KY not far from where my parents live. It is now a Colonel Sanders Museum.
Reply/Quote
Chicken in the bucket
Chicken in the beans
Reply/Quote
It's Randy Quaid
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 04:52 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't have the luxury of Chick-fil-A in the Northwest, but we have Popeyes and that's been a blessing when we crave chicken.

Yep, Popeye's and especially Chick-fil-A kill KFC.  Though I always like to find a good local place (if it exists) that's way better than any of them. 
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2015, 05:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yep, Popeye's and especially Chick-fil-A kill KFC.  Though I always like to find a good local place (if it exists) that's way better than any of them. 

We used to have Church's chicken as well. I've heard people love Church's Chicken as well, but the one we had was garbage. I went there one time and it was a miserable experience. Not surprisingly, they went out of business.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2015, 05:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We used to have Church's chicken as well. I've heard people love Church's Chicken as well, but the one we had was garbage. I went there one time and it was a miserable experience. Not surprisingly, they went out of business.

I've never had Church's, but it's rated up there with Popeye's.  Had Pollo Loco once and it was pretty good, too.  Boston Chicken was really good (especially the mashed potatoes, beans and corn roll), but for some reason they really struggle.

Of course, there are at least as many KFC's around me as Popeye's.

I think a lot of it is really the power of national advertising.  KFC has the brand and recognition none of the other chicken places get (except Chick-fil-a).  Kind of like the pizza chains, most people think it's garbage but they have delivery and nearby.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 02:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It's garbage, fatty chicken.  I've got nothing against fast food fried chicken, but KFC is disgusting.  I love fried chicken, but I'd just assume eat something else before subjecting myself to KFC.

This.

I love fried chicken, eat it couple times a week if it weren't so damned unhealthy. That said, KFC fried chicken is simply s**t on a bone. You simply do not get a superior fried chicken product from a fast food chain. Local diners/restaurants and even local supermarkets produce a far better product than KFC.
"In my mind, I'm already there"
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2015, 11:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Colonel Sanders was supposed to be a southern gentleman.  WTF are they thinking coming up with this new guy guy who is a stupid wise ass?  KFC is a family oriented restaurant, not a hipster hangout.

It would be like re-casting Ronald McDonald as Homey the Clown.

Firstly, I'm not bashing you fred, just the opposite. Positive Rep in fact. In general you just validated my suspicion of how the general public would react to these spots.

A few weeks back when I had seen the first commercial I told my wife "It is only a matter of time before someone, or several, start complaining about a stupid commercial calling it blasphemy and disrespectful yada-yada-yada.... maybe start a petition, have the spots removed from tv....so on & on..."

I could care less about the ads one way or the other personally - as there are so many friggin ads that drive one batty, but this goes to prove my point being simply - nothing in this country can be let alone. There will be someone, somewhere, that takes offense to anything, and pressure the rest to fall into line with their line of thinking and belief as to what is PC.

I have every bit of belief that in time, backlash from society forces KFC to pull the plug on this. Not poor response to the ads mind you, but backlash.

Is it wrong to portray the man as they did? No. Free country, freedom of speech.

Is it disrespectful? Sure, to those who admire the man for what he had accomplished. But who is to say he didn't have a sense of humor and wouldn't have approved??? Not me. I didn't know the man. Not my place. I trust the bigwigs at KFC must have known he'd be ok with it. Maybe they consulted his family, or next of kin, or children if any? Who knows? And that is fine with me. They want to run their childish commercials, have at it.

Time will tell if I'm right, and somewhere there is growing pressure to stop the ads due to the Colonel's perceived negative image. 
"In my mind, I'm already there"
Reply/Quote