Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
they tried for a LB
Failed waiver claim for Seahawks Austin Calistro

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I hope we put in a claim for the LB the Jags cut to make room for this guy.

Joe Giles-Harris UDFA LB from Duke.

Not going to find a guy with elite athleticism and LB skills at this point. He is somewhat lacking in the speed department. But he is what we need IMO. A big tackling machine to play LB. He made the Jags initial 53 and they aren't exactly a shabby defense.

It would be fitting for another UDFA LB from Duke to end up making the team after getting all those years out of another former UDFA from Duke Vincent Rey.

Oh and I found out where Deshaun Davis went. He is on the Jags practice squad.
Reply/Quote
Sucks the Broncos put in a claim though. Apparently they are looking for LBs too. They were picking before us in the draft. I believe they would be right in front of us in the waiver claim order too.
Reply/Quote
They just had to win that Raiders game last year...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Statistically Calistro looked decent in limited playing time as a rookie.

And he played for Seattle...so intel.
Reply/Quote
Well can't hate on the attempt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Happy they tried, keep on, keeping on...
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 02:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I hope we put in a claim for the LB the Jags cut to make room for this guy.

Not going to find a guy with elite athleticism and LB skills at this point. He is somewhat lacking in the speed department. But he is what we need IMO. A big tackling machine to play LB. He made the Jags initial 53 and they aren't exactly a shabby defense.

It would be fitting for another UDFA LB from Duke to end up making the team after getting all those years out of another former UDFA from Duke Vincent Rey.

No we got a LBer that can tackle... we need Speed... SPEED to cover TE's
Reply/Quote
We'll make do for game 1 and we'll pick up a LB in game 2. There is something about adding a veteran after game one and the salary cap.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 07:00 PM)EatonFan Wrote: We'll make do for game 1 and we'll pick up a LB in game 2.  There is something about adding a veteran after game one and the salary cap.

Thanks for mentioning that clause.  I remember reading it once, but merely glossing over it.  I guess I should look it up and read it more carefully.

Edit:  For those interested, here it is..

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/vested-veteran-salary-guarantees-nfl

Quote:Tons of veteran players were cut before the start of the season, and while different clubs had different reasons for shuffling their rosters, the looming vested veteran guarantee may have played a part in many of those moves. Vested veterans – players with at least four years of NFL experience – had their 2018 base salary guaranteed for the year by being on an NFL team’s roster for the first game of the season.

That means that if a team decided after Week 1 to part ways with a veteran player with a 2018 base salary of $1MM, the team would still be on the hook for that full $1MM, which would count against the cap. A veteran who has received this form of termination pay in the past wouldn’t be eligible to receive it again, but otherwise the player can put in a claim for his full salary and receive it. Veterans not a Week 1 roster don’t benefit from that provision, however.

If a player is signed during the season, following a team’s first game, and is later released, he’s only entitled to 25% of his full-season salary. For instance, let’s say a team signed a player in Week 2 for a full-year salary of $1.02MM. First, that salary would be prorated for 16 weeks, meaning it’d be worth $960K. If a player is cut shortly after signing, he’d receive 25% of that amount, or $240K. If the player is released within four weeks of signing, he’d only count for $240K against his team’s cap, rather than the amount of his full salary.

Ultimately, the Labor Day weekend numbers crunch is about much more than talent-based decisions. Teams are mindful of expenses and potential dead money hits, particularly when they’re tight against the cap. The smaller vested veteran guarantees may seem like a drop in the bucket when compared to a $177.2MM cap, but every dollar counts for clubs with less than $2MM in breathing room such as the Vikings, Patriots, and Rams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for mentioning that clause.  I remember reading it once, but merely glossing over it.  I guess I should look it up and read it more carefully.

Thanks for posting. I had no clue and very interesting when considering a pickup after week 1. 

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 06:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: No we got a LBer that can tackle... we need Speed... SPEED to cover TE's

Find me the speedy coverage LB sitting on the market for the taking?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:02 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Find me the speedy coverage LB sitting on the market for the taking?

And this is the heart of the matter--there ain't enough good ones to go around.  They have to cover both guys who are bigger than them, they also get to cover guys faster than they are and they have to dodge behemoths trying to knock them out of the way.  It's not an easy job.  It's hard to play the position well and it's hard to stay healthy.

I would venture to say we aren't the only defense with a LB shortage or the only one whose LB's aren't that good.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
They tried for a LB, but Dhani Jones said he wasn't coming out of retirement....... is what I was expecting after an offseason where they brought back Andre Smith, and brought back Chris Crocker (in a coaching role).

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 02:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I hope we put in a claim for the LB the Jags cut to make room for this guy.

Odd that Davis went to Jags. I wonder if they gave him more money or if he was pissed about being waived.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:02 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Find me the speedy coverage LB sitting on the market for the taking?

A more realistic target is someone who can replace Vinny Rey's Special Teams and back-up linebacker role.

That shouldn't be that hard to find (and they shouldn't have waited until cut-downs to try).
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for mentioning that clause.  I remember reading it once, but merely glossing over it.  I guess I should look it up and read it more carefully.

Good stuff, didn't know all this.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2019, 01:22 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote:  I wonder if they gave him more money or if he was pissed about being waived.

It is almost always based on the probability of moving up to the 53 man roster.

Nothing else really matters at that point in a players career.
Reply/Quote

https://www.jaguars.com/team/transactions/

They actually cut DD from the PS to make room for JG-H
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

that's no reason to sign a slow on that wont see the field.
Reply/Quote