Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"we keep our own"
(02-15-2017, 01:12 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Adam Jones is under contract for a few more years. I think they are perfectly fine with letting him serve a 4 game suspension and keeping him.

I would find it hard to believe he is only suspended for 4 games given his history.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:24 PM)McC Wrote: Well said.  And I would add this--how many more years would he want to have Bodine's 300 lbs on his back  next to the 300 plus of a bad RT?

True, which can be in favor of his negotiations. "Hey Mr. Brown I'm doing my job plus the work for the guys to the left and right of me, pay me accordingly."

(02-15-2017, 03:43 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: I would find it hard to believe he is only suspended for 4 games given his history.

Just spit balling. If its 4-6, I think we don't cut him. Anything more I think he's getting cut.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:24 PM)McC Wrote: Well said.  And I would add this--how many more years would he want to have Bodine's 300 lbs on his back  next to the 300 plus of a bad RT?
If Z gets/has the impression that the Bengals are NOT going to upgrade the center and tackle positions, he may want to leave to protect his own health. He can't take too many Bodines and Ogeebogees falling on him play after play. Sad
Reply/Quote
The Bengals philosophy is...'We keep our own...IF it's for a reasonable amount.'
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals philosophy is...'We keep our own...IF it's for a reasonable amount.'

I fail to see what's wrong with that. They could be like the Ravens and overpay one player so much the rest of the team sucks....
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I fail to see what's wrong with that. They could be like the Ravens and overpay one player so much the rest of the team sucks....

0-25 years......and counting...... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 09:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: 0-25 years......and counting...... Mellow

And the teams that give one player an exhorbitant contract so expensive the rest of the team suffers.....how do they fare?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I fail to see what's wrong with that. They could be like the Ravens and overpay one player so much the rest of the team sucks....

Still won 2 Superbowls tho...
Reply/Quote
Im sure the agents for Z and Dre are both super desperate to re-sign with the Bengals before testing the open market to see how much money their clients get. This is all Mike Brown's fault Sad
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And the teams that give one player an exhorbitant contract so expensive the rest of the team suffers.....how do they fare?

I don't call paying a good OG 10 mil exorbitant when you can cut two dead weight players that ARE being overpaid to free up more than enough cash to do so, but if we're going that route, Tom Brady makes bank.  The very team you refer to has a SB with that QB, Aaron Rodgers makes pretty good coin.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:26 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Im sure the agents for Z and Dre are both super desperate to re-sign with the Bengals before testing the open market to see how much money their clients get. This is all Mike Brown's fault Sad

Its not inconceivable that sometimes players would like to avoid free agency all together. I mean its the equivalent of a regular person having to go out and find a new job/employer. Pretty stressful situation to be in. A good agent will advise the player whether they think they can get a better deal somewhere else or the market is to saturated with talent and it might be better to resign with team X. Of course an agent wants to get their player the most money, because of that 15%.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't call paying a good OG 10 mil exorbitant when you can cut two dead weight players that ARE being overpaid to free up more than enough cash to do so, but if we're going that route, Tom Brady makes bank.  The very team you refer to has a SB with that QB, Aaron Rodgers makes pretty good coin.

I'm not saying don't pay Zeitler, I think they should. I was talking overall philosophy about not overpaying players. Yes, the Ravens have a Super Bowl with Bert. How have they done since paying him that huge contract and having to get rid of some of their other quality players. And Brady has taken more than one pay cut to have weapons around him.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 12:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not saying don't pay Zeitler, I think they should. I was talking overall philosophy about not overpaying players. Yes, the Ravens have a Super Bowl with Bert. How have they done since paying him that huge contract and having to get rid of some of their other quality players. And Brady has taken more than one pay cut to have weapons around him.

I'd take a Super Bowl and potentially overpaying players over not winning a playoff game in 26+ years and having a clean cap.

The past 6 years success were wasted. Not a single playoff game. But...hey...we never had cap trouble!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 12:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not saying don't pay Zeitler, I think they should. I was talking overall philosophy about not overpaying players. Yes, the Ravens have a Super Bowl with Bert. How have they done since paying him that huge contract and having to get rid of some of their other quality players. And Brady has taken more than one pay cut to have weapons around him.

Ok, I gotcha.....that's fair enough.  Also, I wasn't saying you were wrong about the Unibrow either.....because you're 100% correct on that.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd take a Super Bowl and potentially overpaying players over not winning a playoff game in 26+ years and having a clean cap.

The past 6 years success were wasted. Not a single playoff game. But...hey...we never had cap trouble!

I agree with this sentiment, but in the particular instance of Flacco, Sled has a solid point.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with this sentiment, but in the particular instance of Flacco, Sled has a solid point.

He does. I think the key is drafting.

For every guy you pay a huge amount of money...you have to have starters on rookie contracts as that offsets it because rookie deals are cheap.

If you look at the Bengals...they don't have many starters at all on rookie deals.
Reply/Quote
I'll take a superbowl and numerous playoff victories over the last 30 years. Any day of the week. All day long. We gotta change somthing for God's sake. What we are do8ng now has brought us shit.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He does. I think the key is drafting.

For every guy you pay a huge amount of money...you have to have starters on rookie contracts as that offsets it because rookie deals are cheap.

If you look at the Bengals...they don't have many starters at all on rookie deals.

Yep, a bad trend here.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And the teams that give one player an exhorbitant contract so expensive the rest of the team suffers.....how do they fare?

You clearly do not understand how things work around here.

0-25 is considered the answer to everything.  If someone claimed that the Bengals are losers because the QB throws the ball with his hands instead of his feet and you disagree they will come back with "0-25 and counting".

It is just impossible for some people to believe that anything the Bengals ever do is good.  Overpaying for one player is a bad move.  It hurts the team.  Yet some people are so conditioned to hate on everything the Bengals do that they think it is a good idea to overpay for a player just because the Bengals have not done it recently.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You clearly do not understand how things work around here.

0-25 is considered the answer to everything.  If someone claimed that the Bengals are losers because the QB throws the ball with his hands instead of his feet and you disagree they will come back with "0-25 and counting".

It is just impossible for some people to believe that anything the Bengals ever do is good.  Overpaying for one player is a bad move.  It hurts the team.  Yet some people are so conditioned to hate on everything the Bengals do that they think it is a good idea to overpay for a player just because the Bengals have not done it recently.

What would you consider overpaying, because I don't think anyone is suggesting we give a guy like Zeitler Flacco type of money?
Reply/Quote