Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"we keep our own"
(02-18-2017, 06:28 PM)Housh Wrote: We keep our own until they cost too much, then we draft a shitty replacement who will cant even do HALF of what the departing player can do.

Reggie Nelson walks

In comes Shawn Williams

What proceeds is some of the worst coverage play by a safety in my recent Bengals history

Great move FO

And I was one of the one's saying we should keep Nelson, but everyone here who is honest with themselves knows the amount of grief the organization gets for not "playing the young guys".... You either keep the vets, or you play the young guys..... can't have it both ways....
Reply/Quote
No one wanted Williams Over Nelson. Noone. Except the Bengals. I wanted two more years out if Nelson. N it was stupid signing Williams when he pretty much did nothing over 3 years. Except the int versus Big Ben
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 11:43 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No one wanted Williams Over Nelson.  Noone.  

Beg to differ. I argued with a lot of people on here that I wanted to keep Nelson, who was coming off a Pro Bowl. A lot of people said the same thing about him then as they do Whit now.... "Ah, he's old, he hasn't got a good year left in him.... he'll drop off dramatically". All you have to do is go back and read the threads....
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 11:43 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No one wanted Williams Over Nelson.  Noone.  Except the Bengals.  I wanted two more years out if Nelson.  N it was stupid signing Williams when he pretty much did nothing over 3 years.  Except the int versus Big Ben

Typical revisionist history.

Lots of people thought it was a good idea to move on to a younger player.  They wanted the Bengals to be more like the Patriots who do not hold onto old players too long.

I see a lot of this around here.  everyone claims to be 100% correct when they have the benefit of 20 20 hindsignt.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 09:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Beg to differ. I argued with a lot of people on here that I wanted to keep Nelson, who was coming off a Pro Bowl. A lot of people said the same thing about him then as they do Whit now.... "Ah, he's old, he hasn't got a good year left in him.... he'll drop off dramatically". All you have to do is go back and read the threads....

I was one of them. I thought Shawn played well in the little time he played and would atleast be a good Safety
for us in the future. I loved Reggie and wanted him back but at the same time i understood why they let him go
for a younger guy they drafted. I was wrong though, should of kept Reggie who did not fall off last year much.

I don't think Shawn was near as bad as some on here claim for his first year starting but it was clear that Reggie
had that leadership and sideline to sideline cover skills that Shawn does not.

I still like Derron Smith though if Shawn continues to not play up to par.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 02:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same move just about every other team in the league would have made.  Let the old guy go and move up the young promising looking player to replace him.

If you have a complaint about Williams it is on the coaches and scouts, nnot the front office.

The front office's propensity for a minuscule scouting department is most certainly their own fault.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 07:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And I was one of the one's saying we should keep Nelson, but everyone here who is honest with themselves knows the amount of grief the organization gets for not "playing the young guys".... You either keep the vets, or you play the young guys..... can't have it both ways....

Agreed, but there are exceptions to every rule.  Guys like Dennis Smith, Ronnie Lott, etc played safety for quite some time.  I'm not saying Reggie Nelson is the caliber of players like that, but I haven't seen a whole lot of drop off in his play.  Reggie may play well into his 30s.  You probably noticed this too, which, like myself, is likely a big reason you wanted to keep him.  That was just plain stupid to not make Nelson feel welcomed back here.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 02:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed, but there are exceptions to every rule.  Guys like Dennis Smith, Ronnie Lott, etc played safety for quite some time.  I'm not saying Reggie Nelson is the caliber of players like that, but I haven't seen a whole lot of drop off in his play.  Reggie may play well into his 30s.  You probably noticed this too, which, like myself, is likely a big reason you wanted to keep him.  That was just plain stupid to not make Nelson feel welcomed back here.

The big difference in guys like Nelson, Whitworth, Jones (as much as he's on my chit list right now) .....guys playing into their 30's as opposed to those who fall off, is that they learn the game and are smart enough to play it with their mind and be where they need to be as opposed to players who just rely on physical skills. I hated it when they did not resign Nelson, he was one of my favorite players. That said, I think Williams will grow into a fine safety....
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 03:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The big difference in guys like Nelson, Whitworth, Jones (as much as he's on my chit list right now) .....guys playing into their 30's as opposed to those who fall off, is that they learn the game and are smart enough to play it with their mind and be where they need to be as opposed to players who just rely on physical skills. I hated it when they did not resign Nelson, he was one of my favorite players. That said, I think Williams will grow into a fine safety....

Great point....and I hope you're right about Williams.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 03:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: Great point....and I hope you're right about Williams.

I think so. Williams' football IQ is said to be off the charts and he, like Nelson and Burfict, is supposedly able to dissect the play before it happens. I think he will get better every year. We know he has the physical skills....
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 05:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Here's everyone's favorite part of free agency. This comes from Paul D. and Jim O. at the Enquirer.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/02/17/cincinnati-bengals-free-agent-tracker/98044374/

Should we be surprised? We have to keep a shit ton of money to sign all 11 draft picks, to which a good amount of them wont ever see the field this season. Oh did I forgot the millions of dollars we'll need to sign free agents when our players start dropping like flies because of our inept strength and conditioning staff cant get these guys in shape for football.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 09:52 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Should we be surprised? We have to keep a shit ton of money to sign all 11 draft picks, to which a good amount of them wont ever see the field this season. Oh did I forgot the millions of dollars we'll need to sign free agents when our players start dropping like flies because of our inept strength and conditioning staff cant get these guys in shape for football.

We DO sign our own.....and even overpay.  Just ask Peko, Hockaloogie, Pacman, and others that would be fringe players at vet minimum on any other team.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 10:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: We DO sign our own.....and even overpay.  Just ask Peko, Hockaloogie, Pacman, and others that would be fringe players at vet minimum on any other team.

To be fair I think Pacman would be a starter on most teams around the league, I just don't think a lot of those teams want the baggage.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 10:39 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: To be fair I think Pacman would be a starter on most teams around the league, I just don't think a lot of those teams want the baggage.

The baggage is why he's a fringe player.  He didn't help his case last year any with average play.....now the arrest.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 10:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: We DO sign our own.....and even overpay.  Just ask Peko, Hockaloogie, Pacman, and others that would be fringe players at vet minimum on any other team.

Agreed guys like Maualuga who don't perform need to be cut.  I remember when Robert Geathers was on the team he underperformed for years on end while getting paid way above what he should be. But that's the status quo around here and it starts at the top and trickles down. We have a head coach who hasn't won a playoff game in 15 years coming off a 6 win seasons thinking that he should be rewarded with a contract extension.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 12:33 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Agreed guys like Maualuga who don't perform need to be cut.  I remember when Robert Geathers was on the team he underperformed for years on end while getting paid way above what he should be. But that's the status quo around here and it starts at the top and trickles down. We have a head coach who hasn't won a play of game in 15 years coming of a 6 win seasons thinking that he should be rewarded with a contract extension.

Mike Brown honors his deals!
Reply/Quote
I've been a big of a Maualuga fan and supporter as there is here, but unless he comes into camp in fantastic shape with improved speed it's time to cut him loose....
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've been a big of a Maualuga fan and supporter as there is here, but unless he comes into camp in fantastic shape with improved speed it's time to cut him loose....

Bingo, I think the future improvement of our defense depends on how faster we can get. If we keep drafting these "hard nosed, instinctive linebackers" who are slow as shit, were gonna get blown by. Whats the point in being instinctive and knowing where the play is going if you cant get there fast enough to make the play.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:25 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Bingo, I think the future improvement of our defense depends on how faster we can get. If we keep drafting these "hard nosed, instinctive linebackers" who are slow as shit, were gonna get blown by. Whats the point in being instinctive and knowing where the play is going if you cant get there fast enough to make the play.

Well, he was well suited to stop guys like Jerome Bettis coming up the middle.... but we just don't see that that often anymore....
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, he was well suited to stop guys like Jerome Bettis coming up the middle.... but we just don't see that that often anymore....

Or Mike Alstott.
Reply/Quote