Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
we were a top 5 offense last season before eifert went down
All the gloom on here. We now have a more creative offensive mind and an improving Hart. we will be fine. the defense looks improved as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 02:17 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: All the gloom on here. We now have a more creative offensive mind and an improving Hart. we will be fine. the defense looks improved as well.

With an Offensive minded coach i expect us to be much better on Offense this year if we are not decimated by injuries.

This Preseason was so vanilla, i ain't seen so much vanilla...
Reply/Quote
Not drinking the cool aid. Can’t rely on Eifert to stay healthy and he got hurt week 4. The 4-1 start and a top 5 offense for 4 games and fans acted like we were the 2015 Bengals talent wise and without the injures we would have been serious contenders. Green hasn’t been able to stay healthy the last 3 seasons and Ross will probably pull his hamstring the first route he runs. Throw in Glenn’s injury history too might see Andre Smith at LT this year which could be scary.
Reply/Quote
I get the optimism for this season, but all this "we were so good for the first 5 games last year before the football gods crushed us" talk doesn't really jive with the narrative that what we needed most of all was an overhaul in the coaching staff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get the optimism for this season, but all this "we were so good for the first 5 games last year before the football gods crushed us" talk doesn't really jive with the narrative that what we needed most of all was an overhaul in the coaching staff.

Who said that?

And yeah, what we needed most was a coaching overhaul. We weren't winning shit with Marv, 0-7.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who said that?

And yeah, what we needed most was a coaching overhaul. We weren't winning shit with Marv, 0-7.

We've been saying this since the week 9 bye or so last year.  The idea was that we were 4-1 and 5-3 and "shoulda beat the Steelers and been 5-1 or 6-3" before we got injured and had zero chance at a respectable year.  When people were talking up the start to the year and blaming injuries I was telling them to can it before Mike Brown read the message board and decided Marvin Lewis should get another shot.

And when Marvin was here we made the playoffs in 6 of 7 years and people were debating if we were truly living the golden age of Bengals football and that teams that won the SB and then went 4-12 the next year should envy us.  It's been a long and crazy 16 years or so.

At any rate, Marvin had this team "looking grand" before injuries "wrecked everything" so ZT might have to get to winning in a hurry.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get the optimism for this season, but all this "we were so good for the first 5 games last year before the football gods crushed us" talk doesn't really jive with the narrative that what we needed most of all was an overhaul in the coaching staff.

For the record I didn't think coaching was the problem last year but injuries were. Losing three tier 1 players at their respective positions is going to be tough . Honestly thought what franchise fan base likes a head coach that's been there for a decade plus except for New England.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: For the record I didn't think coaching was the problem last year but injuries were. Losing three tier 1 players at their respective positions is going to be tough . Honestly thought what franchise fan base likes a head coach that's been there for a decade plus except for New England.

Ya know, you say some really crazy stuff...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
NFL Network had a thing, early in the year, about teams that were doing well. Comedy skit type of things, but the gist was the record was not reflective of how bad the Bengals were...they were right.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 02:17 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: All the gloom on here. We now have a more creative offensive mind and an improving Hart. we will be fine. the defense looks improved as well.

IF we were a Top 5 offense before the Eifert injury...doesn't that indicate that Marvin and Lazor were great offensive coaches?  Hilarious

That kind of flies in the face of the narrative that we were bad because of the coaches.
Reply/Quote
FWIW I would have traded two 1st’s, Green, and half the team for Tunsil. IDGAF anymore I’m ready to blow this shit up and start over from scratch. I can’t handle another last season and this roster looks exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 02:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With an Offensive minded coach i expect us to be much better on Offense this year if we are not decimated by injuries.

This Preseason was so vanilla, i ain't seen so much vanilla...

Losing Williams, Boling, and Green is kind of being decimated by injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:31 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: FWIW I would have traded two 1st’s, Green, and half the team for Tunsil. IDGAF anymore I’m ready to blow this shit up and start over from scratch. I can’t handle another last season and this roster looks exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where I'm at...we had so much cap space and could have actually upgraded a few positions.

Even people talk about how the LB's signed for insane amounts. Who cares? Go sign an elite one and have a great defensive line and Good LB unit. Getting that one elite LB could give the team an identity.

But...we need that cap space. Can't compromise that.

We have some high end talent in Mixon, Green, Boyd, Atkins, etc...but we also have several Bad starters. And some guys talk about Hart improving. How can he not improve? He was one of the worst starting Tackles. The only way he can go is up.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we were a Top 5 offense before the Eifert injury...doesn't that indicate that Marvin and Lazor were great offensive coaches?  Hilarious

I'll start by saying that I'm glad Marvin is gone just for the sake of change. 

With that being said, we seem to be torn between the optimism of saying that ZT is going to revolutionize this offense because NO ONE not even Marino/Brady or Jerry Rice etc could have succeeded under the nadir of Marvin/Lazor.  Oh, by the way let's get pumped because before everyone got injured we had a TOP 5 OFFENSIVE UNIT in 2018!!!!!

Again, I'm glad ZT is here and I'm intrigued to see what he can do but I'm not 100% sure he's 10 times the coach of Marvin Lewis just yet.  I get it though, every time a team reboots the fans tell themselves the guys who left were the problem.

(08-31-2019, 09:31 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: FWIW I would have traded two 1st’s, Green, and half the team for Tunsil. IDGAF anymore I’m ready to blow this shit up and start over from scratch. I can’t handle another last season and this roster looks exactly the same. 

That's the thing...the roster looks very similar so we are really hoping that it was the coaching that screwed us in 2018...what choice do we have?  We are going into 2019 with the same weak LB corps, major o-line issues, and AJ and Ross looking like they could be dealing with season-long issues.  Fingers crossed it was all on the coaching!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Losing Williams, Boling, and Green is kind of being decimated by injuries.

Yeah but I think where in better position without them then in years past. Also a healthy Eifert should take pressure off the other receivers. It's definitely not ideal but manageable to say the least.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll start by saying that I'm glad Marvin is gone just for the sake of change. 

With that being said, we seem to be torn between the optimism of saying that ZT is going to revolutionize this offense because NO ONE not even Marino/Brady or Jerry Rice etc could have succeeded under the nadir of Marvin/Lazor.  Oh, by the way let's get pumped because before everyone got injured we had a TOP 5 OFFENSIVE UNIT in 2018!!!!!

Again, I'm glad ZT is here and I'm intrigued to see what he can do but I'm not 100% sure he's 10 times the coach of Marvin Lewis just yet.  I get it though, every time a team reboots the fans tell themselves the guys who left were the problem.

That's the thing...the roster looks very similar so we are really hoping that it was the coaching that screwed us in 2018...what choice do we have?  We are going into 2019 with the same weak LB corps, major o-line issues, and AJ and Ross looking like they could be dealing with season-long issues.  Fingers crossed it was all on the coaching!

There's a decent chance that atleast some of the coaches are downgrades to Marvin and Co.

Taylor seems to be copying the Rams playbook on offense...except we don't have their line and players. We'll see how that works out.

He was a bad OC at UC. He was the assistant WR coach, then QB Coach with the Rams. He was mediocre with the Dolphins. Yet people are so sure he's a much better coach than Marvin.

We see it here EVERY year. Irrational optimism.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: For the record I didn't think coaching was the problem last year but injuries were. Losing three tier 1 players at their respective positions is going to be tough . Honestly thought what franchise fan base likes a head coach that's been there for a decade plus except for New England.

Any fan base would love a long term coach IF said coach is getting great results consistently. Marv got great results from time to time, but not enough and of the great results he did get few were well timed. He was an OK regular season coach, terrible post season and "prime time" coach. Unfortunately for Marv not every single game was on Sunday at 1pm. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We've been saying this since the week 9 bye or so last year.  The idea was that we were 4-1 and 5-3 and "shoulda beat the Steelers and been 5-1 or 6-3" before we got injured and had zero chance at a respectable year.  When people were talking up the start to the year and blaming injuries I was telling them to can it before Mike Brown read the message board and decided Marvin Lewis should get another shot.

And when Marvin was here we made the playoffs in 6 of 7 years and people were debating if we were truly living the golden age of Bengals football and that teams that won the SB and then went 4-12 the next year should envy us.  It's been a long and crazy 16 years or so.

At any rate, Marvin had this team "looking grand" before injuries "wrecked everything" so ZT might have to get to winning in a hurry.

Amazing post. The whole 'Model Model' thing where other teams wanted to all be us.

Yeah Bengals Management, you made the playoffs 5 years in a row and managed to not win 1. Yeah, teams that win SB's want to be us!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: Any fan base would love a long term coach IF said coach is getting great results consistently. Marv got great results from time to time, but not enough and of the great results he did get few were well timed. He was an OK regular season coach, terrible post season and "prime time" coach. Unfortunately for Marv not every single game was on Sunday at 1pm. 

Tell that to the Steelers fan base or the Green Bay can base.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Tell that to the Steelers fan base or the Green Bay can base.

The Steelers fanbase isn't happy unless they win a SB. The bar is high.

Here, winning a playoff game is viewed as some miraculous achievement that other teams don't do.

Literally EVERY Team in the NFL has won a playoff game since we last have and all but like 3-4 have won 5+.
Reply/Quote