Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your favorite vacation spot?
Just got back from Ft. Lauderdale. It was ok and we had a decent time. I had much better vacations the last few years in Myrtle beach and VA beach. We've been to Gatlinburg as well which wss ok, but limited on relaxation because you have to drive everywhere.

Next vacation we are going to plan earlier, but as was in this case, we didn't have a lot of time to plan. Some vacation ideas we've had were: Destin - vegas - New Orleans. We love to relax and sip beer on the beach, but many beaches forbid it. We also love blues and good food, which is why we thought of NO. I hate having to drive anywhere on vacation to go places because either my wife or I need to be DD which sucks because, well, we are on vacation right?

So what are some of tje great vacations you ha ve had? What is the best time to go there and how pricey is it?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 10:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just got back from Ft. Lauderdale. It was ok and we had a decent time. I had much better vacations the last few years in Myrtle beach and VA beach. We've been to Gatlinburg as well which wss ok, but limited on relaxation because you have to drive everywhere.

Next vacation we are going to plan earlier, but as was in this case, we didn't have a lot of time to plan. Some vacation ideas we've had were: Destin - vegas - New Orleans. We love to relax and sip beer on the beach, but many beaches forbid it. We also love blues and good food, which is why we thought of NO. I hate having to drive anywhere on vacation to go places because either my wife or I need to be DD which sucks because, well, we are on vacation right?

So what are some of tje great vacations you ha ve had? What is the best time to go there and how pricey is it?

If you want to just sip some beers, enjoy some beautiful water, and soak up some sun, go to Norris Lake, TN.

Rent a house with some friends.  Rent a pontoon for the week.  Do some water skiing and tubing.

Big fun.
Reply/Quote
Are we in the wrong forum? 

We're not sure.  Are we black?

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 10:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you want to just sip some beers, enjoy some beautiful water, and soak up some sun, go to Norris Lake, TN.

Rent a house with some friends.  Rent a pontoon for the week.  Do some water skiing and tubing.

Big fun.

That does sound exciting. Are there good restruants and clubs to listen to live music withon walking distance?

(09-12-2015, 10:47 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Are we in the wrong forum? 

We're not sure.  Are we black?

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

???

Reply/Quote
Crap. I thought I was in Klotsch. Sorry guys.

Reply/Quote
Went to NO for vacation this year, and I can't wait to go back.  SO MUCH TO DO, and everything was easily accessible on foot or by streetcar (although I never saw one named Desire Sad ).
Reply/Quote
A couple that jump to the top of my head:

1. Pacifica, California. It's about 20 miles down the road from San Fran. There is a Holiday Inn Express right on the beach, so it's very cheap, but also beautiful as you are right on the ocean. There's a bunch of really cool places to eat right next to the hotel.

2. Couer d'alêne, Idaho. 20 miles outside of Spokane Washington. Heaven on earth. The most beautiful, peaceful part of the country that I've ever been in.

3. Western Montana. Wide open, beautiful space.

All of these are pretty inexpensive.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 10:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Some vacation ideas we've had were: Destin - vegas - New Orleans. 

I've never been to Destin, but from what I've heard it's a pretty trashy tourist trap.  It's like the butthole of Florida.

Vegas is fun...for like 3 days, and then it just makes you wanna go home.  Regardless, I've been to Vegas 3 straight years and will be there again this coming March.  We have a blast for a few days and then head off to one of the nearby national parks.  Zion and Grand Canyon are only a few hours away, and both are worth a vacation on their own.  The fast times of Vegas are balanced out by the slow times of the parks.

New Orleans is cool. I was there this summer for work for a couple of days.  It seemed like I might get tired of it after those couple of days though.  The food, culture, music, and architecture are all great, but the city still seems like a novelty that would get old quick.  You can find some solid beaches within a couple hours' distance though, so if you diversify your vacation, you'll probably have a great time.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 11:52 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I've never been to Destin, but from what I've heard it's a pretty trashy tourist trap.  It's like the butthole of Florida.

Vegas is fun...for like 3 days, and then it just makes you wanna go home.  Regardless, I've been to Vegas 3 straight years and will be there again this coming March.  We have a blast for a few days and then head off to one of the nearby national parks.  Zion and Grand Canyon are only a few hours away, and both are worth a vacation on their own.  The fast times of Vegas are balanced out by the slow times of the parks.

New Orleans is cool. I was there this summer for work for a couple of days.  It seemed like I might get tired of it after those couple of days though.  The food, culture, music, and architecture are all great, but the city still seems like a novelty that would get old quick.  You can find some solid beaches within a couple hours' distance though, so if you diversify your vacation, you'll probably have a great time.

Rock solid advice above.

Harley, do you have a passport? If you do, take wifey to Costa Rica and thank me later...

If you come back to Florida I would recommend St Pete Beach or St Augustine. St Augustine is just cool period with tons of history and architecture and probably the most unique city in the state of FL. St Pete Beach did just ban alcohol on the beach but there is plenty to do in the area - it is walkable/cabable and there are good music venues with both local and national talent. Clearwater Beach is really pretty but can feel a little Stepfordy and a little crowded.

That Norris Lake suggestion above was a good one too - know tons of people who rave about it but also consider Cave Run Lake, Land Between the Lakes, or Lake Cumberland in KY if you are looking for that kind of a trip.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 10:58 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Crap. I thought I was in Klotsch. Sorry guys.

Lol, no worries. Did it twice in about a five year span on the monthership and got no end of grief both times.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
In the US: Colorado or Montana. The beauty of this area of the US is absolutely stunning. Doing outdoor things there like ATV rides, or rafting....nothing better.

Tropical: Turks and Caicos or Belize. Both have amazing beaches, abundant snorkeling and friendly people. Belize has the added benefit of rain forest to explore.

Worldwide: It's not even close....Africa. I have been to 6 of the 7 continents. But sitting in the jungle of Rwanda with wild gorillas mere feet away, and exploring the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania top anything I have ever seen or done. The African people know that tourist mean money for their country, but they don't mooch off you. They are extremely happy to have you there, and are very proud of their countries. There approach you from an aspect of warm and inviting, and wanting to show off their country, not approaching you with their hand out. They make you feel like you are long lost relatives returning home....which if you think about evolution, you kind of are. But I highly recommend going to Africa if you ever get the opportunity. It is also surprisingly affordable (outside of the airfare). My entire 7 days in Tanzania with safari, guide, hotels, and even a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti was only $5700 for a family of 3. That included food, but not spending cash for souvenirs and things. Rwanda was more expensive, but that was due to the permits to hike to the gorillas. But I didnt mind, it was a surreal experience, and the money for the permits went to mountain gorilla conservation.
Reply/Quote
Folley Beach SC.

No attractions. Just a beach and a few beach bars.

But only 15 minutes from Charleston if you want to go hear some music.. A very cool, historic city.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 10:56 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That does sound exciting. Are there good restruants and clubs to listen to live music withon walking distance?

Not usually.  Each dock will have a restaurant, and the big parks have lakeside lodges.  But not really a lot of "nightlife".  You mostly just drink and hang out on your house boat.  Maybe do some skiing, fishing, swimming, or jetskiing.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 11:52 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I've never been to Destin, but from what I've heard it's a pretty trashy tourist trap.  It's like the butthole of Florida.

Florida is the butthole of America.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 10:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just got back from Ft. Lauderdale. It was ok and we had a decent time. I had much better vacations the last few years in Myrtle beach and VA beach. We've been to Gatlinburg as well which wss ok, but limited on relaxation because you have to drive everywhere.

Harley....  Put it in a different container.  It's not brain surgery my friend.

Tybee Island in Georgia is a great (and cheap) spot.  It's got a decent night life, and great beaches.  Savannah is near by.  It's a summer place for sure.

I have a house in Wildwood, NJ.  I just got back from there 2 weeks ago.  The beach is pristine.  It's a drinker's paradise.  The hotels are very 1940's -1960's. I'm not gonna lie, they are pricey, especially those on the beach.  They will be full of Brazilians and New Yorkers boozing it up all night, but it's pretty laid back.  The boardwalk is great if you have kids (still fun if you don't). There are fireworks every Friday night, but it's great around the 4th of July. They love that shit in Jersey.  Parking is sorta a ***** during the spring and summer.  I do a lot of walking when I'm there.  Atlantic City is not far away to the north. Cape May is a short drive south.  Philly is an hr. and change away. New York is about 2 1/2 hr. drive. You can easily do all of that if you have 10 days.  It's a more expensive destination than Tybee.  It's also a summer spot...  Unless drinking on the beach in the low 40s appeals to you.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Folley Beach SC.

No attractions.  Just a beach and a few beach bars.

But only 15 minutes from Charleston if you want to go hear some music..  A very cool, historic city.

^^^^  This place is  great Harley Dog.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm an old fashioned kinda' guy. Give me the Smoky Mountains anytime, especially in the fall.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Folley Beach SC.

No attractions.  Just a beach and a few beach bars.

But only 15 minutes from Charleston if you want to go hear some music..  A very cool, historic city.
It is a nice place, been a number of times
(09-12-2015, 04:04 PM)jason Wrote: Florida is the butthole of America.

No, it is America's wang.  Get it right!
Reply/Quote
There's nothing like being in Jamaica, mon.

....on the resorts. Yeah, I wouldn't do much off the resorts past some of the tours, zip lining, etc. but the Caribbean is amazing and I'm pretty biased to Jamaica since I was married there.
Reply/Quote

Admittedly I haven't been there since I was stationed there 20yrs ago, but I fondly remember Virginia Beach.  Great board walk, with tons of bars and entertainment, with great live music venues one of my favs was the Jewish Mother, some great bands in there, also a place called Pea Bodys (I heard Areosmith played there when they first started out.)  Most of it within walking distance if not a short/cheap cab ride away.  Also the Outer Banks is only about an hour and half south, which is another fav of mine.  Can't wait to get back myself.
Reply/Quote