Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Do we play the starters next week? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Do we play the starters next week? (/Thread-Do-we-play-the-starters-next-week)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 01:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even with so many starters on the Covid list? I don't know, my thoughts have changed to sit'em more after this news.

I guess I understand playing the starters we can in the first half seeing how it goes and giving us a chance at the 1 seed.

I also understand getting Boyd his 1000 yards and Chase his stuff and giving snaps to Evans and Perine since Mixon can't go.

Call me pretty perplexed here after the covid news. Mellow

I made that post before all the news Wink

At this point, I'm not sure what direction to go. On paper, it makes sense to rest everyone, but I'm not sure if the players' hearts are in the same spirit.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 02:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I made that post before all the news Wink

At this point, I'm not sure what direction to go. On paper, it makes sense to rest everyone, but I'm not sure if the players' hearts are in the same spirit.

Still not sure, huh? 

Burrow, Mixon, Hopkins, Spain, Hendrickson, and Bell are out.  

We could end up 4th even with a win.  

I'd treat it like a preseason game. Anyone with a knock rests. Play some starters a series or two.  Get Chase his 11 yards.  Then backups. 

Some guys who have not played much could actually help us in the post- season (Waynes, Kareem, Evans, Flowers, XSF, Taylor). I'd like to get a look at some rookies (Smith, Shelvin). Others could use more reps (Trey Hill, Carman, Adeniji, Johnson, Prince, XSF).   

For the POs, Reiff is out and Spain could be. I'd like to have an open competition between Johnson & Prince for RT and both guard spots between Adeniji, Carman, and XSF.  Waynes knocking the rust off could help as well. Can Flowers play some safety?

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 03:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Still not sure, huh? 

Burrow, Mixon, Hopkins, Spain, Hendrickson, and Bell are out.  

We could end up 4th even with a win.  

I'd treat it like a preseason game. Anyone with a knock rests. Play some starters a series or two.  Get Chase his 11 yards.  Then backups. 

Some guys who have not played much could actually help us in the post- season (Waynes, Kareem, Evans, Flowers, XSF, Taylor). I'd like to get a look at some rookies (Smith, Shelvin). Others could use more reps (Trey Hill, Carman, Adeniji, Johnson, Prince, XSF).   

For the POs, Reiff is out and Spain could be. I'd like to have an open competition between Johnson & Prince for RT and both guard spots between Adeniji, Carman, and XSF.  Waynes knocking the rust off could help as well. Can Flowers play some safety?

And I wrote that before Burrow said he was out.

AND nobody you mentioned is, "out," aside from Mixon. They probably won't play, but announcements were made after I wrote that post.

Why the snark?

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - CJD - 01-05-2022

Joe Burrow is out (he said he's healthy enough to play, but will be resting regardless).
Hopkins and Spain are on the COVID List (Spain likely misses the game regardless).
Joe Mixon is out with COVID.
So we're looking at an Oline of Williams - Carman - Hill - Adeniji - Prince.

May as well just rest all the starters on offense at this point, because you're not doing much with that Oline with no Mixon and Allen throwing the ball.

And if you rest the whole offense, you may as well rest the defense as well.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Sled21 - 01-05-2022

Some of the starters, especially linemen, are going to have to play. We only have the Game Day roster. They all can't sit.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Awful Llama - 01-05-2022

Early Cleveland weather forecast per the National Weather Service:

Quote:Showers likely before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Could be a little sloppy up there.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - CKwi88 - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 02:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I made that post before all the news Wink

All I know is I would much rather go in to the playoffs with the #3 seed (or higher, but that's unlikely). I would like to avoid the hoodie at all costs on Wildcard weekend.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - HarleyDog - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 07:19 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Early Cleveland weather forecast per the National Weather Service:

Could be a little sloppy up there.

Everyone we can rest, we will rest. 2 days ago I was all about playing the starters but quickly changed my tune when players started coming down with covid. We've won 3 in a row, first time this year. We need the week to rest going into the playoffs. These guys busted their ass to win that KC game. Take the week off, fill the tank and come out so damn explosive we mow down other teams like pins in a bowling alley.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Whacked - 01-05-2022

Does anyone think there will be any type of a morale letdown (after the high we are on); prior to the playoffs if we get spanked by the Stains as they will be looking to take their season’s misery out on us?

*Spanked because we have so many second stringers in.

(01-05-2022, 08:52 PM)Whacked Wrote: Does anyone think there will be any type of a morale letdown (after the high we are on); prior to the playoffs if we get spanked by the Stains as they will be looking to take their season’s misery out on us?

Nah, I don't think so. If anything, a few reporters will talk shit and it will fire the team up. Joe and Co. are in playoff mode. We are going to see great things.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - jason - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 08:52 PM)Whacked Wrote: Does anyone think there will be any type of a morale letdown (after the high we are on); prior to the playoffs if we get spanked by the Stains as they will be looking to take their season’s misery out on us?

No... Even the Browns know they're getting the B team this week. I predict no real takeaways come from this game.

(01-05-2022, 09:04 PM)jason Wrote: No... Even the Browns know they're getting the B team this week. I predict no real takeaways come from this game.

Agreed. This will be like a preseason game.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 04:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And I wrote that before Burrow said he was out.

AND nobody you mentioned is, "out," aside from Mixon. They probably won't play, but announcements were made after I wrote that post.

Why the snark?

For me, this was always an easy call.  We don't need the Browns game. The chances of getting the #1 or #2 seed are slim. And we could slip to #4 even with a win. 

Plus, Spain and Reiff are out.  We are playing Cleveland, with 2/3rds of our best lineman out vs their D-Line, with Burrow already the most sacked QB in the league and nursing a sore knee. The game was screaming to rest Burrow from jump.  And once that call is made, the other dominos should start falling. 

But OK, I get some people really hate the Browns and wanted a win. Stay hot has some merit. But none of that, nor the slim possibility of moving to #2, merits risking guys we are gonna need come PO time. 

Then we put Hendrickson, Bell, Hopkins, Mixon, and others on the COVID list. As
you say, they aren't OUT, but they are on the COVID list. High probability they will be out.  And why risk rushing them back? Their fitness could dip some, and I'd want to minimize transmission risks as much as possible.  

At this point, for me, we are in, or near, no-brainer territory on resting guys. Yet you were still hemming & hawing about it. So I got a little snarky. In my defense, I did not realize you posted prior to the Burrow news. Apologies. 

Did we think back at the beginning of the year we would be having this discussion? Damn, I'm in Heaven.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Whacked - 01-05-2022

^ Fun ain’t it Big Grin

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - TecmoBengals - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 09:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Did we think back at the beginning of the year we would be having this discussion? Damn, I'm in Heaven.

If you told me Brandon Allen was playing QB the final week of the season when the year started, I'd have assumed Burrow was hurt or the team was tanking for a top 5 draft pick.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - TheLeonardLeap - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 07:19 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Could be a little sloppy up there.

[Image: d9346e02d8d7173a6a9de1f732093295bf-slopp....w1200.jpg]

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - michaelsean - 01-05-2022

Waynes needs to play the whole game. The rest can rotate because it’s not like you have an extra 30 guys sitting around.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-08-2022

Yeah, a lot happened in a little amount of time. Rest'em is the call now and I am for it.

Browns win, we will get them next season...

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - HarleyDog - 01-08-2022

(01-08-2022, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, a lot happened in a little amount of time. Rest'em is the call now and I am for it.

Browns win, we will get them next season...

I think we will win tomorrow. Just need some help from Denver tonight.