Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! (/Thread-Michael-Mayer-Falls-To-26-In-Latest-PFF-Mock)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - WVUHomer - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 03:49 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I wish I could find the video, but I remember seeing a pre-draft interview with Burrow where the reporter brings up Tom Brady. Burrow basically says, "Please don't compare me to the GOAT." Another "Burrow is the man" moment that aligns with your thinking.

Exactly.

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - BFritz21 - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 03:45 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Not going to lie though, statements like that (from any prospect, any position) annoy me to no end.

"Um, yeah, clearly I compare to the GoAT at my position group". Yes, I know its not exactly what he said but how it came across when I read the interview.

That may be just me though.

(03-03-2023, 03:49 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I wish I could find the video, but I remember seeing a pre-draft interview with Burrow where the reporter brings up Tom Brady. Burrow basically says, "Please don't compare me to the GOAT." Another "Burrow is the man" moment that aligns with your thinking.

(03-03-2023, 03:59 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Exactly.

There's a big difference in a QB doing that than there is a tight end doing it. A QB is the center of the team.

I want him to want to be the best tight end in the league and set the bar.

I want the confidence. 

Trust me, he's not an arrogant kid. 

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - TecmoBengals - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 04:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:  A QB is the center of the team.

No, the center is the center of the team.  Tongue

(03-03-2023, 04:18 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: No, the center is the center of the team.  Tongue

Technically, when he's under center, the QB is the center of the team on the field because he's in the middle horizontally and vertically more than the center Cool 

Hilarious

(03-03-2023, 04:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There's a big difference in a QB doing that than there is a tight end doing it. A QB is the center of the team.

I want him to want to be the best tight end in the league and set the bar.

I want the confidence. 

Trust me, he's not an arrogant kid. 

FWIW, I'll trust your opinion on him. Just like I said, quotes like that annoy me. Though some parts of me feel like it could be a facade (bravado?) to try to compare yourself to a GoAT before you ever touch a pro field. 

Hope no hard feelings are taken from that opinion. I know it's felt like I've been rough on you for the support of Mayer, but this opinion would be shared for any prospect. If he said he studies Kelce to take elements of his game to improve his own, fine. To infer you're in the same stratosphere, hard to not feel like that's not arrogant. Other people can call him Kelce/Gronk like, fine but it's different if you yourself is calling that.

(03-03-2023, 06:13 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: FWIW, I'll trust your opinion on him. Just like I said, quotes like that annoy me. Though some parts of me feel like it could be a facade (bravado?) to try to compare yourself to a GoAT before you ever touch a pro field. 

Hope no hard feelings are taken from that opinion. I know it's felt like I've been rough on you for the support of Mayer, but this opinion would be shared for any prospect. If he said he studies Kelce to take elements of his game to improve his own, fine. To infer you're in the same stratosphere, hard to not feel like that's not arrogant. Other people can call him Kelce/Gronk like, fine but it's different if you yourself is calling that.

No hard feelings at all brother ThumbsUp

I respect and understand your reluctance (timidness?) to want to draft him in the first and to want to take someone else, specifically a tackle.

Like I said, I feel like he's just saying who he wants to be like or who he sees as similar to him in playing style.

He's down to earth and as polite as you can possibly be. Like, one day, in the summer going into his senior year, he was at my gym with his friends and walked out of his way to come talk to me. 

I see it as a hell of a lot less arrogant than the common QB response now in pre-draft interviews of "if you pick me, I will kick your ass for the next 15 years."

He'll never stop trying to improve his game.

NFL Network just mentioned they have Kincaid as the top pick at tight end and so does PFF, so let's hope they're right and Mayer falls to us!

(03-03-2023, 06:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No hard feelings at all brother ThumbsUp

I respect and understand your reluctance (timidness?) to want to draft him in the first and to want to take someone else, specifically a tackle.

Like I said, I feel like he's just saying who he wants to be like or who he sees as similar to him in playing style.

He's down to earth and as polite as you can possibly be. Like, one day, in the summer going into his senior year, he was at my gym with his friends and walked out of his way to come talk to me. 

I see it as a hell of a lot less arrogant than the common QB response now in pre-draft interviews of "if you pick me, I will kick your ass for the next 15 years."

He'll never stop trying to improve his game.

NFL Network just mentioned they have Kincaid as the top pick at tight end and so does PFF, so let's hope they're right and Mayer falls to us!

Hopefully for you Pit doesn't trade up or take him at 17. You would be so conflicted lol  Hilarious I don't see it but you never know.

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - Synric - 03-04-2023

Gotta say I like the recent articles about Josh Whyle as the hometown kid over Mayer lol.

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - OSUfan - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 03:22 AM)Synric Wrote: Gotta say I like the recent articles about Josh Whyle as the hometown kid over Mayer lol.

This discussion has caused me to watch a lot of film on the TEs and while I do not want to take anything away from Mayer but when watching film he does not jump off the page as a big time offensive threat. I would like to see him show up more in big games like against Ohio State where he really was a nonfactor. Even when you watch his highlight reels the biggest opponent you see him making plays on is Clemson who has been a tick off the last couple of seasons. Mayer is extremely solid and a very good all around TE but again when I watch there is nothing that screams to me that you have to use a first round selection on this guy.

I feel like Mayer and Kraft are very similar and that Kraft may have a bit more overall athleticism. Granted this is watching an FCS TE but I believe when you look at the skillsets they are are much alike. I feel Whyle is a guy that would really fit the Cincinnati offense like Hurst and that he is a bit faster than either of the previously mentioned.

After watching a lot of film my favorite TE in the bunch is Kraft and I would much rather use a second or third on him than a first on Mayer. I would also feel better about a later selection on Whyle than a first on Mayer.

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - BFritz21 - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 11:57 AM)OSUfan Wrote: This discussion has caused me to watch a lot of film on the TEs and while I do not want to take anything away from Mayer but when watching film he does not jump off the page as a big time offensive threat. I would like to see him show up more in big games like against Ohio State where he really was a nonfactor. Even when you watch his highlight reels the biggest opponent you see him making plays on is Clemson who has been a tick off the last couple of seasons. Mayer is extremely solid and a very good all around TE but again when I watch there is nothing that screams to me that you have to use a first round selection on this guy.

I feel like Mayer and Kraft are very similar and that Kraft may have a bit more overall athleticism. Granted this is watching an FCS TE but I believe when you look at the skillsets they are are much alike. I feel Whyle is a guy that would really fit the Cincinnati offense like Hurst and that he is a bit faster than either of the previously mentioned.

After watching a lot of film my favorite TE in the bunch is Kraft and I would much rather use a second or third on him than a first on Mayer. I would also feel better about a later selection on Whyle than a first on Mayer.

They test at the combine today so we’ll see how much they’ve improved and who is worthy of what pick!

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - WVUHomer - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 01:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They test at the combine today so we’ll see how much they’ve improved and who is worthy of what pick!

Your boy came in small today....

TE measurables:

Mayer 6'4.5" 249 lbs AL: 31.5" Hands: 9.5"
Kincaid: 6'3.5" 246 lbs AL: 32 5/8" Hands: 10 1/4"
Washington: 6'6.5" 264 lbs AL: 34 3/8" Hands: 11"
Kraft: 6'5" 254 lbs AL: 32 3/4" Hands: 10"
Whyle: 6'6.5" 248 lbs AL: 31.5" Hands: 9.5"
LaPorta: 6'3" 245 lbs AL: 32 1/8" Hands: 10 1/4"
Durham: 6'6" 253 lbs AL: 33 3/8" Hands: 9 3/4"

If this isn't the right place to post this, could this comment be sent to the correct thread?

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - BFritz21 - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 01:52 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Your boy came in small today....

I'm glad because hopefully it freaks teams out and allows him to fall to us!

I hope it freaks teams out and he kills the 40 and the rest to keep us interested.

(03-04-2023, 04:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm glad because hopefully it freaks teams out and allows him to fall to us!

I hope it freaks teams out and he kills the 40 and the rest to keep us interested.

Could be.

Just shows how good of a TE class that he's one of the top despite being one of the "smallest".

If we got him though, I'd still want one of the 6'6" kids for good measure, Durham OR Whyle.

(03-04-2023, 01:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They test at the combine today so we’ll see how much they’ve improved and who is worthy of what pick!

The combine does not change what happened on the field in game conditions. The combine tests do not prove worth as much as solidifies grades teams have on players and gives the teams the chance to meet these players in person and find out a little bit about the player themselves as people and what is important to them. The grades they have on players I would feel are more about on the field performance. For instance Branch running a 40 that was maybe slightly less than expected does not undo the game tape he had put together. Sydney Brown may move up a bit because of his testing but that may well be because teams just wanted to be certain whether they should have him that high or not. His tests solidified their gut instinct.

(03-04-2023, 03:12 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: TE measurables:

If this isn't the right place to post this, could this comment be sent to the correct thread?

Did you see where Cameron Latu came in at?

(03-04-2023, 04:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Did you see where Cameron Latu came in at?

6'4" 242 lbs AL: 32 3/8" Hands: 9 1/2"

(03-04-2023, 04:43 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: 6'4" 242 lbs AL: 32 3/8" Hands: 9 1/2"

He is a late round prospect at TE that I find very interesting. Has only been playing the position for a couple of seasons as he was recruited as an edge defender. The tape he has put together really shows promise in my opinion. Seems to be a very good athlete and a natural pass catcher who brings a defensive attack mentality to the position.

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - Synric - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 04:51 PM)OSUfan Wrote: He is a late round prospect at TE that I find very interesting. Has only been playing the position for a couple of seasons as he was recruited as an edge defender. The tape he has put together really shows promise in my opinion. Seems to be a very good athlete and a natural pass catcher who brings a defensive attack mentality to the position.

Cameron Latu and Payne Durham are similar prospects they will be better receivers in the redzone than between the 20s. I like these guys as 12 personnel TEs that are your TE-Y. The Bengals definitely need a guy like that because Sample will likely be gone. But what they really need a more well rounded TE though for all of the 11 personell packages they run.

RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 03:12 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: TE measurables:

Surprised LaPorta is only 6'3". Washington is a big dude. Warming up to Whyle the more i see of him, seems faster than Mayer and
if this is true a couple inches taller. Thanks for posting this WVUHomer.

To Brad, this isn't as far fetched as it once was getting Mayer at 28. So he is now an option, same with Bijan Robinson if he somehow
falls as long as we fix the OL I am fine with adding a fine weapon.