Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-Chat-News-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - kalibengal - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 10:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cody Ford was brought in and Da Ante Smith, and Jackson Kirkland have all had better camps by some reports I've seen. Then you have LC getting close.

Im serious, I would 100% not be shocked if Carman doesn't make this team. 

I don't think think Carman will be going anywhere. He played his best ball in playoffs with alot of pressure on him. That says alot I think. 
He is BIG, young, healthy and talented. ...I dont see Pollack wanting to let him go. He may actually  win the job in preseason.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 10:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cody Ford was brought in and Da Ante Smith, and Jackson Kirkland have all had better camps by some reports I've seen. Then you have LC getting close.

Idk Weezy, I'd say that the team is counting on Carman also being the backup LT, seeing as he filled in as well as he did in the playoff games.  I think that Ford was brought in for his versatility to backup 3 spots.  I see Kirkland as a developmental/practice squad project and eventually making the roster down the road.  I believe that D'ante Smith would have to have the camp of his lifetime in order to avoid not making the team, same with Adeneji.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - TecmoBengals - 08-06-2023

Once training camp ends and the season begins these are the hideous sideline hats coaches and players get to wear:

https://www.neweracap.com/collections/nfl-sideline?sort_by=manual&filter.p.m.my_fields.team=Cincinnati+Bengals

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - basballguy - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 11:44 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Once training camp ends and the season begins these are the hideous sideline hats coaches and players get to wear:

https://www.neweracap.com/collections/nfl-sideline?sort_by=manual&filter.p.m.my_fields.team=Cincinnati+Bengals

This shit looks like some C+ off brand merch you can only find on Etsy.

Hard pass for me

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - jj22 - 08-06-2023

James believes this win went to Myles. QB held the ball a little long.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - samhain - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 11:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Idk Weezy, I'd say that the team is counting on Carman also being the backup LT, seeing as he filled in as well as he did in the playoff games.  I think that Ford was brought in for his versatility to backup 3 spots.  I see Kirkland as a developmental/practice squad project and eventually making the roster down the road.  I believe that D'ante Smith would have to have the camp of his lifetime in order to avoid not making the team, same with Adeneji.

Yeah, we haven't seen a lot from Smith as he never stays healthy.  He's never managed to supplant any of the usual suspects on the depth chart.  Ford has never been very good.  I liked him as a guard coming out of college, but he's basically hanging around the league because he's huge and plays a lot of positions, none of them very well.  On top of that, he views himself as a tackle, because of course he does.  Kirkland is, as you say a practice squad guy.  If he's in a regular rotation, we've got big problems.

Carman has always been lackluster in practices.  He's a strange species of player.  Coaches do not seem to love him.  We were all petrified of him taking snaps at LT in the playoff last year, myself included.  I mean, for crap's sake, he couldn't beat out Adeniji on the depth chart.  That's not a ringing endorsement.

Then the playoffs happened and he became one of the two best linemen on the field for the Bengals, perhaps the best period.  He was extremely physical and his pass pro was more than acceptable.  Far from the disaster we were all expecting.  He looked like the player they thought they were getting when they drafted him.  

I think Carman has more than enough credit to get through this camp on the roster.  He's not an asset you let go without getting something in return. It's not clear who the RT is after 2023. Williams is all but gone, Collins' health is a big question. The crowded field will thin out fast. Carman should be motivated to stake a claim to the spot before next season.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - sandwedge - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 11:44 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Once training camp ends and the season begins these are the hideous sideline hats coaches and players get to wear:

Yuck and yuck...Looks like the crap Brad's friend is trying to sell out of his mom's basement..... Hilarious

I have always not liked the "cracked out" looking tiger

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - MTBengalsFan - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 10:12 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Good for you.

Yep, it is good for me. I'll be trying to put an elk in the freezer after i shoot/gut/cut/wrap it, occasionally casting a fly line to catch a trout, and tending to my garden. You have fun watching those exhibition games. 

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Essex Johnson - 08-06-2023

There are three I would enjoy buying but the rest out of here

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - bengalfan74 - 08-06-2023

I've seen several articles touting Irv Smith Jr. I've learned through the years to take training camp hype with a grain of salt. But Perhaps this guy can breakthrough this season?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/irv-smith-jr-continues-to-get-attention/ar-AA1eQ7aN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c633b9e5b6c3400a9f85a2a0b6b66141&ei=13

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 12:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've seen several articles touting Irv Smith Jr. I've learned through the years to take training camp hype with a grain of salt. But Perhaps this guy can breakthrough this season?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/irv-smith-jr-continues-to-get-attention/ar-AA1eQ7aN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c633b9e5b6c3400a9f85a2a0b6b66141&ei=13

Yeah, everything that I've been reading about Irv Smith Jr. has been glowingly positive from his peers and coaches.  It's a foregone truth that Smith is a very talented player, the question has been weather he'll be able to stay healthy for an entire season and Superbowl run.

Edit: Seems like most of his injuries have been flukey type of things, and/or normal injuries that come with football.  No torn achilles, no acl/mcl reconstruction, no chronic back problems, etc.

Quote:Injury History

Date
League
Injury
Details
Dec 2, 2020
NFL
Inguinal Groin Strain Grade 2
Smith was sidelined for the Week 13 game due to a back injury.
Nov 25, 2020
NFL
Inguinal Groin Strain Grade 2
Smith was ruled out for the Week 12 game due to a groin injury. He sat out in Week 10 with this injury but returned to a limited role in Week 11.
Aug 27, 2021
NFL
Knee Meniscus Tear
Smith suffered a meniscus injury during Minnesota's preseason finale at Kansas City. He is likely out for the season
Aug 2, 2022
NFL
Hand Finger Sprain/Pull Unspecified
Smith underwent thumb surgery Tuesday, but the Vikings are optimistic he will be ready for Week 1, Kevin Seifert of ESPN reports. "We still feel very strongly about our process to get him back," coach Kevin O'Connell noted of the team's top tight end, "an
Oct 30, 2022
NFL
Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3
Smith went down against the Cardinals in Week 8. He returned for the Wild Card Round.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - jj22 - 08-06-2023

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - QueenCity - 08-06-2023

Irv Smith Jr if you go box score watching flashes in a ton of games.... the issue with him has always been can he stay on the field.

(08-06-2023, 12:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, everything that I've been reading about Irv Smith Jr. has been glowingly positive from his peers and coaches.  It's a foregone truth that Smith is a very talented player, the question has been weather he'll be able to stay healthy for an entire season and Superbowl run.

Edit: Seems like most of his injuries have been flukey type of things, and/or normal injuries that come with football.  No torn achilles, no acl/mcl reconstruction, no chronic back problems, etc.

(08-06-2023, 01:02 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Irv Smith Jr if you go box score watching flashes in a ton of games.... the issue with him has always been can he stay on the field.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can stay healthy this season. It seems he has the ability to make some noise if he can just stay on the field? Perhaps this turning of the page for him will finally pay off?

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Soonerpeace - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 12:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've seen several articles touting Irv Smith Jr. I've learned through the years to take training camp hype with a grain of salt. But Perhaps this guy can breakthrough this season?

“Never on this level,” Smith said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “This is the best coaching staff I’ve been around. I put a lot of time and effort into getting better in the offseason and they’ve seen that and it’s a blessing.”

And offensive coordinator Brian Callahan spoke on this topic too, going as far as saying Smith indeed brings a different skill set than his predecessors.

“We try to call things guys like. That tends to make it work. That tends to make a good play,” Callahan said. “Irv is good in space. He’s different than the tight ends we’ve had before. He has real ability to separate and win after the catch.”

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-06-2023

(08-05-2023, 07:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If Jonah doesnt look significantly better than Carman, he needs to be traded.  Let Carman man the RT position until Collins is ready.  Save that 12.6 million we would use on Jonah this year and give it to Reader and Awuzie on contract extensions.  Keeping Jonah one year is not worth letting Reader and Awuzie get away.  This is of course assuming neither Reader and Awuzie demand big raises.  Extend Reader for a couple more years, give him a couple million dollars more per year.  Extend Awuzie and give him 4 million more per year.

Not against trading Jonah if we can use that money for DJ and Chido that is for sure.

(08-05-2023, 09:22 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Word is Jonah has been looking good at RT. I would imagine he will be the guy at RT this year and I am more than happy with the starters and depth we have this year and don't really want to change that. But I love Reader and I think he is the heart of this defense. So if we had to trade Jonah to keep Reader for a couple more seasons I would go that way but I would be nervous about the line and that's something we've done far to often.

Jonah will get hurt, so we need Carman to play RT when it happens.

(08-05-2023, 09:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't think Carman is going to make the team. 

Crazy talk Weezy.

(08-05-2023, 11:20 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't see any way he gets let go unless he gets traded.

It may seem like we a have a lot of OTs, but Collins isn't ready.  Ahead of schedule, maybe, but not ready.  That leaves OBJ, Jonah, then Carman.  There's no way in the world anyone is convincing me that he's not better than Adeniji.  

Jackson is a huge lineman that acquitted himself well at LT in a critical situation last year.  He's got all a team wants other than consistency.  

The league is loaded with teams that are starving for big, versatile OL.  The only way I let a guy like him go is if I get something in return.  

Carman at the very least is the backup swing tackle.

Spot on. Adeniji is the odd man out as he should be, dude sucks.

Cody Ford has sucked his entire career in the NFL, D'Ante Smith is a walking penalty and Kirkland plays Guard.

Please have some thoughts with rationality before you post this psycho babble....Rolleyes 

(08-06-2023, 01:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: “Never on this level,” Smith said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “This is the best coaching staff I’ve been around. I put a lot of time and effort into getting better in the offseason and they’ve seen that and it’s a blessing.”

And offensive coordinator Brian Callahan spoke on this topic too, going as far as saying Smith indeed brings a different skill set than his predecessors.

“We try to call things guys like. That tends to make it work. That tends to make a good play,” Callahan said. “Irv is good in space. He’s different than the tight ends we’ve had before. He has real ability to separate and win after the catch.”

I believe the guy has a good chance to turn his career around, we'll see? Can he stay on the field I think is the big giant question?

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - 007BengalsFan - 08-06-2023

At the very least we know Carman would be an OK backup at LT. He can also play LG. Even if he doesnt win a starting job, he is still better than some of the other options for backups.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 02:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe the guy has a good chance to turn his career around, we'll see? Can he stay on the field I think is the big giant question?

That is it with Irv, he plays good when he is healthy and on the field. He has yet to have even close to a full season healthy.

Hope it finally happens here and then we know what we have in the guy and if we want to extend him after. But it would most likely
be just like the Uzo and Hurst years and he goes somewhere else for big money and we resurrect another TE's career lol

(08-06-2023, 03:04 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: At the very least we know Carman would be an OK backup at LT.  He can also play LG.  Even if he doesnt win a starting job, he is still better than some of the other options for backups.

True, plus Pollack is loving what he is seeing from Carman this Offseason and Jonah is always hurt. You don't cut the guy who just 
shown he can play LT in the NFL against the best in the Playoffs. If he can play RT reasonably well he is valuable. Unlike Adeniji.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - pally - 08-06-2023

Alex Cappa is dealing with a minor strain of something. He missed the team portion of practice. May be limited for a couple of days

Awuzie did some work, at half speed, against the WRs today...progressing from just individual drills

Somebody was flying a drone over the practice field