Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
THIS IS THE WEEK - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: THIS IS THE WEEK (/Thread-THIS-IS-THE-WEEK)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 04:23 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: That guy is such a toad.

Yeah, Florio is a scumbag dirty SOB and I could call him many other nasty names that fit well lol

No surprise the stealer fan is hoping for Burrow to sit out like a loser would.

Problem for him and the rest of the stealer fan base is, Joe Burrow is a winner and a class act. He will roll regardless.

It only hurts our FO's reputation and the organization's dough if the deal isn't done before the season starts.

(09-01-2023, 04:33 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Absolutely no surprise from Florio.  I used to limit my time on PFT just because of his articles. Some of the other contributors were not too bad though. After they changed the entire format a while back I don't even go there anymore because the website is a bad layout now in my opinion and they got rid of the comments.  The comments were probably the best part at least for entertainment value.

As for Bengals related news the good people here that monitor Twitter (X) and other social media have updates much quicker than PFT and most NFL related websites anyway.  That's one big reason I hang out here so much.

Of course they would get rid of the comments. They don't like to hear the truth, they can't handle it.

(09-01-2023, 05:27 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not officially worried until next week gets underway.  I still have to admit, I never thought it would get to this point.  Once Herbert signed his extension, it felt like Burrow's deal was fairly simple math in terms of value.  The wait may or may not necessarily mean anything, but it doesn't seem like business as usual for lack of a better term.  

This team will never recover from the beating they will take in the national media if they don't get this done soon.

This is why I do believe the deal is done behind the scenes and they are waiting for a time to announce.

Makes no sense other wise with the way things have been done lately with this team and franchise.

(09-01-2023, 07:20 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Burrow is betting on himself to win the SB and MVP to get more money. He still has this year and next year on his rookie contract, so he's probably not worried about it. Or it could just be that the Brown family doesn't have the cash on hand to sign Burrow with the guarantee money he wants, since you have to have it on hand. If Burrow was all about a team friendly deal then why would he have an agent.

Eh, I am sure he wants the insurance of a contract to start on that journey, as George here says, anything can happen in sports.

Take the biggest contract for a player in history and roll, that should be Burrow's mentality here. I know he DOES want to keep Tee....

We will see what happens here soon enough.

Doubt we enter the season without a Burrow deal.

(09-01-2023, 07:31 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: That would be a huge, huge bet.  It's super hard to win a Super Bowl and also MVP.  A significant part that also depends on the performance of other team members and coaches.   But right now it isn't so hard to see Burrow getting one of the largest QB contracts based on his accomplishments.  Plus another unfortunate injury and it could cost him a ton of money.  I can't see his agent or him wanting to take the gamble since the big money is apparently right here right now.  Strike while the iron is hot.

Spot on George. It will get done before the season I am sure of it. I think we are all fretting for no reason.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - jj22 - 09-01-2023

I doubt he is betting on himself to bankrupt the Brown family next offseason and trying to make sure they keep Tee….. Which is it.

Burrow is already going to get paid like a super bowl winning and MVP QB. Y’all have seen these contracts. I doubt it be that big of difference in pay and the previous mvp and super bowl winning QB’s make less. So what would he be going by? Certainly not their parameters.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 09:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: I doubt he is betting on himself to bankrupt the Brown family next offseason and trying to make sure they keep Tee….. Which is it.

Burrow is already going to get paid like a super bowl winning and MVP QB. Y’all have seen these contracts. I doubt it be that big of difference in pay and the previous mvp and super bowl winning QB’s make less. So what would he be going by? Certainly not their parameters.

We have talked about contracts endlessly it seems, there are ways to make everyone happy and not bankrupt the team.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - michaelsean - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 09:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: I doubt he is betting on himself to bankrupt the Brown family next offseason and trying to make sure they keep Tee….. Which is it.

Well if that means a Super Bowl win then I’ll take it.

But it’s hard to believe he’s asking for something insane, and it’s hard to believe the Bengals are lowballing him. It’s just weird.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - samhain - 09-02-2023

(09-01-2023, 08:38 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You are not factoring the next wave of QB contracts and cap raises. If everything stayed the same, then I would agree.

I'm not forgetting anything.  We're not in the next wave yet.  That's why it's the next wave.  If every player due a big payday decided to play out their current deal with the overall growth of the market in mind, nobody would ever sign an extension pre-expiration.  

A bird in the hand and so forth.  An agreed upon contract at the current rate is still more valuable than a potential deal in a year that carries the risk of decline or injury over the course of the season.  There's just not that much strategic benefit.  After all, if the rate is going to be higher in 24 than 23, then just imagine what it will be in 25.  Meanwhile, if he doesn't sign an extension, Burrow plays out 2023 at a rate that is a fraction of what guys far inferior to him are making.  

Waiting and betting on yourself is for unproven commodities and uncertain front offices.  It's not for players waiting to set the market at the position.  

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - samhain - 09-02-2023

(09-01-2023, 09:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well if that means a Super Bowl win then I’ll take it.

But it’s hard to believe he’s asking for something insane, and it’s hard to believe the Bengals are lowballing him. It’s just weird.

I feel like everyone involved needs to agree to let the chips fall where they may with Tee.  I love him as a player and respect how he goes about his business, but the numbers making keeping him extremely tough.  His agent is about as likely to take a hometown discount to keep the team intact as I am to make the Bengals practice squad.  Mulgheta is not interested in keeping the team together.  He's interested in max money.  That's a difficult moving part to work with when you have a delicate negotiation process with multiple franchise-type players that allegedly want to play together deep into their careers.  

The reality here is that Burrow means infinitely more than Tee to this team (duh).  They should not be handled as interconnected negotiations if it starts to put a Burrow deal at risk.  Get them both if you can but if not get the quarterback and live to fight another day.  

Keeping them all is a nice thought and I give them credit for trying, but the cap gymnastics aren't promising.  It's past time to get the number one priority wrapped up.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - QueenCity - 09-02-2023

I wonder if they are going to incorporate the signing into their youtube series.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - George Cantstandya - 09-02-2023

(09-02-2023, 10:34 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I wonder if they are going to incorporate the signing into their youtube series.

Do you mean maybe they are not releasing the signing to save it for the series?  They already posted a trailer for episode two and the description says it will be premiering September 14th.  So that would be after the first game and makes me think episode two has already been recorded given the trailer.  Of course that does not eliminate the possibility that his signing might be part of it if already done and we don't know about it yet or as part of a future episode. 

Given that, as far as maybe he already signed and we don't know about it yet I doubt that.  Not only would there be a lot of discussion about it in the Bengals organization but also the NFL has to approve all contracts.  I just don't see it being done already and is this big secret given all the people in the Bengals and NFL that would know about it.  Plus having the contract done would be a huge hype point for not only the Bengals but the NFL.  So I'm not sure they would want to hide it for some future announcement.

All that said I do think it will be done before next Sunday.  

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - pally - 09-04-2023

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - StoneTheCrow - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 12:27 PM)pally Wrote:

Good info.

So…THIS IS THE WEEK

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - BengalsLUFC - 09-04-2023

If I’m a betting man I say it’s done tomorrow or Wednesday.

After that alarm bells will be ringing.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - ochocincos - 09-04-2023

(09-01-2023, 03:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You want him at the best price possible and signing him before next season and the salary cap increase allow you to do that. 

For sure, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to.
Also, it takes two to tango, and Burrow's camp might want to just see how this year goes and the upcoming QB deals next offseason to increase the price even more.
Or it might be coming down to guaranteed money/years.
It might be more beneficial for the QB to take less years on the deal because it lets them potentially get another really good deal around around 30-32 rather than not get a new deal until around mid-30's, which might be toward the end of their career.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - Essex Johnson - 09-04-2023

(09-01-2023, 03:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: If they can't get a deal with Burrow this season tho, it's only going to get worse. Much worse when he see's what next year's qb's get that haven't accomplished half of what he has.

I'd argue if the Brown family can't find the money to pay him this offseason, they never will be able to as the price only rises. It's pretty cut and dry.

Can't escrow 180 million this offseason for the guaranteed portion which they have to do, and is a challenge for the cash strapped family owned business. They won't be able to escrow 225m next, and definitely won't be able to escrow 300m after 2025.

We have to remember this is the business for the Browns. This team isn't their tax write-off for their multi billion dollar company they really make their money from.

This money is coming from lil grandbaby Brown's college fund and Katie's inheritance.

Sounding like more are speculating it is Burrow holding up extension.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - SouthernFan - 09-04-2023

Maybe Burrow will be the first player with a contract based on percentage of cap or first player with a contracted equity stake in the franchise. Is that possible within the CBA and NFL rules?
Ninja 

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - michaelsean - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 05:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sounding like more are speculating it is Burrow holding up extension.

Can’t imagine why, but if he’s being offered the richest contract and it’s not good enough then I would lose a lot of respect for him. Pretty sure he’d get over it though.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - TheFan - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 08:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can’t imagine why, but if he’s being offered the richest contract and it’s not good enough then I would lose a lot of respect for him. Pretty sure he’d get over it though.

I don't think there's any way the Bengals are offering him less than the Herbert deal. That doesn't mean it's just on Joe though. If say the Bengals want 6 years and Burrow wants a 4-5 year deal.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - bfine32 - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 08:20 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Maybe Burrow will be the first player with a contract based on percentage of cap or first player with a contracted equity stake in the franchise. Is that possible within the CBA and NFL rules?
Ninja 

Whatever it is; I'm surprised it's taken folks that do this for a living this long to figure it out. 

Just give the dude a couple Mil more than Herbert got. 

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - michaelsean - 09-04-2023

Sometimes I think being a fan is a really stupid thing. You just take whatever they give you. You learn things when they decide to tell you. Both camps are being very hush hush. Well eff you. We are the customers. Part of me wishes I could undo being a fan of any team. In the end, they kinda treat us like crap.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - NUGDUKWE - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 10:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Sometimes I think being a fan is a really stupid thing. You just take whatever they give you. You learn things when they decide to tell you. Both camps are being very hush hush. Well eff you. We are the customers.  Part of me wishes I could undo being a fan of any team. In the end, they kinda treat us like crap.

Yeah not to drag Marvin down because I did like him for the most part. But it would annoy me when he would brush off fan criticism by saying fans don't understand football. It also drives me crazy when they treat reporters like they're silly for asking about injuries repeatedly. Like who do you think they're asking for? I'm sure some of it is due to gambling but Taylor's repeated joke of its still several weeks since I said several weeks very annoying.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - THE PISTONS - 09-04-2023

(09-01-2023, 07:20 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Burrow is betting on himself to win the SB and MVP to get more money. He still has this year and next year on his rookie contract, so he's probably not worried about it. Or it could just be that the Brown family doesn't have the cash on hand to sign Burrow with the guarantee money he wants, since you have to have it on hand. If Burrow was all about a team friendly deal then why would he have an agent.

I think he signs an extension this week.

IF he doesn't sign one this season, after all the other QBs got theirs and the dollar figure should be easy to figure out...it likely means bad things.