Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burrow vs. Herbert - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burrow vs. Herbert (/Thread-Burrow-vs-Herbert--29510)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Big_Ern - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 05:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kyler Murray was a Pro Bowler in his 2nd year. His passing stats were augmented with 800+ rushing yards and 11 rushing TDs. 

Also worth noting that both Murray and Allen came into the league for their age 22 seasons as rookies. Burrow's rookie year was his age 24 season. He SHOULD be ahead of them in development at equal points in their careers.

My problem with this whole "schedule" and "house money" talk is it may be for Burrow, but it's not for Taylor. Nobody will say "Year 4, right on track!" with a head coach next year... the Patriots went from Tom Brady, to 8 TD/10 INT Cam Newton, right back to #1 seed in a span of 1.75 years. The reason the Bills were able to be patient with Josh Allen is because McDermott went 9-7 and playoffs with Tyrod Taylor in his first year, and his third year (Allen's 2nd) they went 10-6 and playoffs. (Side Note: I think 2020 might go down as Allen's peak. I think he's a little overrated.)

Joe is 24 now. He came in at 23 

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - samhain - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 05:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kyler Murray was a Pro Bowler in his 2nd year. His passing stats were augmented with 800+ rushing yards and 11 rushing TDs. 

Also worth noting that both Murray and Allen came into the league for their age 22 seasons as rookies. Burrow's rookie year was his age 24 season. He SHOULD be ahead of them in development at equal points in their careers.

My problem with this whole "schedule" and "house money" talk is it may be for Burrow, but it's not for Taylor. Nobody will say "Year 4, right on track!" with a head coach next year... the Patriots went from Tom Brady, to 8 TD/10 INT Cam Newton, right back to #1 seed in a span of 1.75 years. The reason the Bills were able to be patient with Josh Allen is because McDermott went 9-7 and playoffs with Tyrod Taylor in his first year, and his third year (Allen's 2nd) they went 10-6 and playoffs. (Side Note: I think 2020 might go down as Allen's peak. I think he's a little overrated.)

As to the Taylor point; maybe.

Please note that I'm not a Zac fan and have called for him to be replaced more than once (probably more than ten times, lol).

The transition from Marvin to Taylor was handled pretty poorly.  The team took forever to hire a new staff and did practically nothing in free agency in his first season.  They were trying to win with what they believed were viable holdovers from Marvin's roster, and it was a disaster.  Luckily it was bad enough to become a tank-for-a-qb season for all intents and purposes.  

"Zac's team" didn't begin to really take shape until last year, and even then there was still a lot of obvious dead weight to bail.  I write off 2019 as a truly lost season for many reasons.  Whether they were intentionally tanking or just really bad or both is debatable, but the team had few players on board that would be considered core pieces when/if they contend again.  

Also, can anyone say what Zac's philosophy is on offense?  Is he implementing McVay's system as was likely intended in 2019 when Andy was still under center?  Is he trying to run the LSU Brady offense that Burrow thrived in?  I don't think that the system is the same in any year he's been HC. Obviously that could be a major knock against him as chief play caller, but it could also be construed as not being so rigid about his system that he refused to bend it to changing personnel.  Either way, whatever he was doing in the beginning was still something different from what's going to be in place when the final product arrives.  The consistency has not been there for 3 years.

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - PlayadLc - 12-06-2021

andrew russell
@pff_andrewr
·
44m
joe burrow vs justin herbert in week 13:

Pff passing grade: Burrow (73.0), herbert (66.0)
clean pocket grade: Burrow (93.0), herbert (77.7)
big time throws: Burrow (4), herbert (1)
drops: Burrow (4), herbert (0)

sure, herbert got the win, but don't be fooled. Burrow was qb1.

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - TheLeonardLeap - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 10:42 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Joe is 24 now. He came in at 23 

Age 25 season.

All sports have a cutoff date in the season where if you have a birthday before then, it is that age season.

Check out Pro Football Reference and it will show that Burrow is in his age 25 season. His birthday is in 4 days.

(12-06-2021, 06:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Age 25 season.

All sports have a cutoff date in the season where if you have a birthday before then, it is that age season.

Check out Pro Football Reference and it will show that Burrow is in his age 25 season. His birthday is in 4 days.

He was 24 majority of the season line he was 23 in eveygane he played last year 

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - rfaulk34 - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 01:17 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: andrew russell
@pff_andrewr
·
44m

"pFf HaTeS sHeRbErT!!1!!1!!11"

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Tony - 12-06-2021

I just want to Add, I think a lot of us are selling short what Burrow did playing through that injury. It was swollen bad and he still hung in there blow for blow until the end. There has to be something said for that...

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Shake n Blake - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 06:42 PM)Tony Wrote: I just want to Add, I think a lot of us are selling short what Burrow did playing through that injury. It was swallow bad and he still hung in there blow for blow until the end. There has to be something said for that...

[Image: sus-60gw8n.jpg]

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Shake n Blake - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 06:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "pFf HaTeS sHeRbErT!!1!!1!!11"

[Image: mmmmmm-ice-cream.jpg]

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - TheLeonardLeap - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 06:36 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: He was 24 majority of the season line he was 23 in eveygane he played last year 

I'll be sure to inform Pro Football Reference, Pro Baseball Reference, and every other Reference that they need to make sure that all the stats that are equally applied to every single player are changed just for very specific players just when we feel like it should.

He was 24 years, 9 months, 2 days old on Week 1. The dude is in his age 25 season.

Penei Sewell didn't turn 21 until after Week 4 this year. He wasn't 20 in every game he played last year (because he didn't play last year). He's still in his age 21 season.

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Fan_in_Kettering - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 06:42 PM)Tony Wrote: I just want to Add, I think a lot of us are selling short what Burrow did playing through that injury. It was swallow bad and he still hung in there blow for blow until the end. There has to be something said for that...

...and while I admire Joe Burrow’s toughness I question the coaching staff and medical staff. Why? They didn’t pull Joe or Tee Higgins. Maybe I’m more concerned with the players’ long term health than trying to win an unwinnable game.

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - jason - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 01:17 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: andrew russell
@pff_andrewr
·
44m

As Herbert flips his hair outta his eyes, points upward, and says "scoreboard".

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Frank Booth - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 08:00 PM)jason Wrote: As Herbert flips his hair outta his eyes, points upward, and says "scoreboard".

so that's a team stat

people were bitching about Burrow's performance

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - jason - 12-06-2021

(12-05-2021, 11:29 PM)Tony Wrote: I can't wait to see Trey Hills PFF rating....

Dude's a bum...

(12-06-2021, 07:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'll be sure to inform Pro Football Reference, Pro Baseball Reference, and every other Reference that they need to make sure that all the stats that are equally applied to every single player are changed just for very specific players just when we feel like it should.

He was 24 years, 9 months, 2 days old on Week 1. The dude is in his age 25 season.

Penei Sewell didn't turn 21 until after Week 4 this year. He wasn't 20 in every game he played last year (because he didn't play last year). He's still in his age 21 season.

I don't need a guide to tell me how old someone is. There's no formula for someone's age. Joe is 24 

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Nicomo Cosca - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 07:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and while I admire Joe Burrow’s toughness I question the coaching staff and medical staff. Why? They didn’t pull Joe or Tee Higgins. Maybe I’m more concerned with the players’ long term health than trying to win an unwinnable game.

How in the world was it unwinnable? We were only down by 2 points when Mixon fumbled in the 4th quarter.

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - MasonDT70 - 12-06-2021

(12-05-2021, 10:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Colts? Wentz only has less ints than burrow. Everything else, burrow is better than Wentz.

Don’t say stuff if you don’t know what you’re talking about. Wentz has had a ton of dink dunk game managing games this season like the one burrow had against vegas

And is still putting up better more efficient numbers in a game manager type situation. Burrow has struggled as of late and its pretty evident even if not all of it is his fault like the chase int from yesterday. 

(12-06-2021, 12:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 20-29 is average for Burrow this year...and when you're throwing so many passes at or hehind LOS, your completion rate should he at least that high.

Anyways, you seem to be missing what I'm driving at in your sensitivity to perceived Burrow criticism, which is...

This is what I'm trying to drive at. How do we have 3 quality receivers who are inarguably better than Herbert's, yet our guys struggle to get open, while Herbert's guys were WIDE open.

IMO, it's scheme above all else. We're not fooling anyone. Chase shouldn't be completely shut down just by shading a safety in his direction...and if he is, why can't we find a way around that?

Zacs answer to it was Wrs screens.... Seriously,  that was it...

RE: Burrow vs. Herbert - Frank Booth - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 09:20 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: And is still putting up better more efficient numbers in a game manager type situation. Burrow has struggled as of late and its pretty evident even if not all of it is his fault like the chase int from yesterday. 

Burrow isnt playing game manager this year. He's had some games where he's played game manager, like the raiders and steelers games, but for the most part, he's slinging it. Downfield. Taking chances.

(12-06-2021, 08:04 PM)jason Wrote: Dude's a bum...

He made me miss Eric Ghiaciuc...