Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Reds August 2023 thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Reds August 2023 thread (/Thread-Reds-August-2023-thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - TheLeonardLeap - 08-09-2023

Great job, Bell. Sure glad Gibault couldn't finish his own inning as he only struck out 2 of the 3 guys he faced. Can't have a game where you don't use at least 5 bullpen pitchers, and a starter going 7 really makes that hard if you let relief pitchers have a full inning.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - CJD - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 04:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I was really expecting him to take a step forward. I wonder if he doesn't feel completely right still from the injury last year?

I am looking forward to India coming back. Even at his worst he's a league average bat. I just hated that Bell stuck him at #3 and just left him there to fail for WAY too long. Kind of like what he's doing with DLC in the leadoff spot. Plus India should mean that Senzel can GTFO of the lineup.

DLC is killing me today. You can't finally get on twice and give them outs both times. Gotta be smarter than that, and less selfish. You'd the leadoff hitter. Don't take PA with men on base away from the #2-#4 hitters.

I don't blame Elly for the pick off. He hasn't attempted a steal in 20 games, so I think every pitcher knows that he eventually is going to look to do it and that was the perfect time. It's just a shame that the pitcher faked him out so well. When you are aggressive on the basepaths, you have to accept the outs that it will create when things don't go your way.

But that single to double...I know Elly is fast but man, that was a rough one. The ball beat him by like 4 steps. But it was a perfect throw so...I dunno.

I'm just glad he's hitting the ball and not striking out haha.

And there goes the series.

Unless we seriously expect Stephenson-Senzel-Fairchild to regain the lead.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - kevin - 08-09-2023

That was a BAD loss today. Reds Stunk on this home series in Cincy. Not Good.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - CJD - 08-09-2023

Baseball is a dumb game...

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - samhain - 08-09-2023

This team is flat out gassed. Bullpen is burnt. Rookies are hitting the wall. Starters are not great or worn out. Perfect storm of negative factors.

The upside is that they know what they need to do to prevent this next season.

(08-09-2023, 05:16 PM)samhain Wrote: This team is flat out gassed.  Bullpen is burnt.  Rookies are hitting the wall.  Starters are not great or worn out.  Perfect storm of negative factors.

Same thing was said after the 2021 collapse of finishing 12-20 to miss the playoffs when they refused to get any bullpen help at the deadline. Then they lost 100 games in 2022.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 05:02 PM)kevin Wrote: That was a BAD loss today.  Reds Stunk on this home series in Cincy.  Not Good.

Awful! loss

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 08-09-2023

Since sweeping the D'backs in late July (thinking they had righted the ship after getting curb stomped by the Brewers) they're 5-11.

They've lost 4 of the last 5 series, only win vs. Dodgers, amazingly enough. They've got 1 win thus far in August.

I wish Bell would take DLC out of leadoff. He has the lowest OBP .313 of any of the regular starters. I could wish a lot of other things as well but....

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - samhain - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Same thing was said after the 2021 collapse of finishing 12-20 to miss the playoffs when they refused to get any bullpen help at the deadline. Then they lost 100 games in 2022.

This collapse reminds me a lot of that one.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - cinci4life - 08-09-2023

Our old friend Michael Lorenzen just threw a no hitter against the Nats tonight.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 05:16 PM)samhain Wrote: This team is flat out gassed.  Bullpen is burnt.  Rookies are hitting the wall.  Starters are not great or worn out.  Perfect storm of negative factors.

Firing David Bell last off-season would have prevented most of this THIS season. Now, we're stuck with this idiot running our favorite team into the ground year after year.

Edited . . . came off a bit snarky when I wasn't aiming for that at all.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - ochocincos - 08-10-2023

This team just straight looks gassed right now. All across the board.
So many pitchers are approaching or even exceeding the most innings they've ever pitched in their careers.
It feels like teams might be starting to figure out how to better attack these young hitters, as they aren't getting on base like they were in June/July.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This team just straight looks gassed right now. All across the board.
So many pitchers are approaching or even exceeding the most innings they've ever pitched in their careers.
It feels like teams might be starting to figure out how to better attack these young hitters, as they aren't getting on base like they were in June/July.

Yep

There're 43 games left I believe. The stretch run. And I would venture a guess they're not going to do that well in it. If they play .500 ball which all things considered would be pretty good they'd finish about 82 wins. And that is probably a bit too optimistic. 

They might get a bit of an uptick if Greene can come back effective? And then Lodolo? But it's going to be to little, to late, most likely.

I'm already looking at and wondering what the hell they're gonna do this offseason?

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 08-11-2023

Abbott on the hill tonight. He's been roughed up his last two starts - 9 innings pitched, 14 hits, 8 walks, 10 runs. Can he bounce back vs. Pirates?

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - kevin - 08-11-2023

Hunter Greene pitched 4 innings for Louisville Bats Thursday. So he has pitched 2 innings and now up to 4 innings, like spring training. Reds are thinking one more rehab start for Greene around Tuesday or Wednesday, and then back to Reds next weekend. So about 10 days away from Hunter Greene on mound for Reds again. That would hopefully mean Greene and Ashcraft back with Lodolo expected back sometime after Greene.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 08-11-2023

(08-11-2023, 11:14 AM)kevin Wrote: Hunter Greene pitched 4 innings for Louisville Bats Thursday.   So he has pitched 2 innings and now up to 4 innings, like spring training.  Reds are thinking one more rehab start for Greene around Tuesday or Wednesday, and then back to Reds next weekend.  So about 10 days away from Hunter Greene on mound for Reds again.   That would hopefully mean Greene and Ashcraft back with Lodolo expected back sometime after Greene.

I'm hoping Greene can come back strong and give this team a little boost.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - cinci4life - 08-11-2023

Some shuffling going on today. Senzel was sent to Louisville and Ramos called back up. Also Friedl is leading off, McLain second and EDLC is hitting 3rd tonight.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/reds-option-nick-senzel-select-henry-ramos.html

Apparently John Fay died today.

Lineup change paying off so far.