Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 2023 thread
Well, it's August first and the Reds have 59 in the W column only 3 wins away from last years total. Who woulda thunk it? 1st place in August? Hilarious would have been my reaction in April.

So lets see where we can take this thing? It's way more fun than I ever dreamed it would be this summer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2023, 08:24 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well, it's August first and the Reds have 59 in the W column only 3 wins away from last years total. Who woulda thunk it? 1st place in August?  Hilarious would have been my reaction in April.

So lets see where we can take this thing? It's way more fun than I ever dreamed it would be this summer.

I think someone online said the vegas line for wins this whole year for the Reds was like 70-75 or something?
Would have been a great bet for those who took the over.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Reds traded for Sam Moll, a lefty reliever from the A's.
This sure isn't a "Wow!" trade by any means, but all the Reds had to give away was their 28th prospect and got someone who helps bolster their bullpen some.
The only lefty relief pitcher at the moment is Alex Young, so it will be good to have another.

Hoping we see (at least) one more pitcher added before the deadline today - SP or RP.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2023, 11:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Reds traded for Sam Moll, a lefty reliever from the A's.
This sure isn't a "Wow!" trade by any means, but all the Reds had to give away was their 28th prospect and got someone who helps bolster their bullpen some.
The only lefty relief pitcher at the moment is Alex Young, so it will be good to have another.

Hoping we see (at least) one more pitcher added before the deadline today - SP or RP.

I'm still trying to hold out hope that they can trade Senzel and a prospect for a middle of the road starter. Barrero and Newman and a prospect? But it's very unlikely.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2023, 01:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm still trying to hold out hope that they can trade Senzel and a prospect for a middle of the road starter. Barrero and Newman and a prospect? But it's very unlikely.

Honestly, there's not really any trade value in Senzel or Newman.
Senzel hasn't shown he's worth investing in as a potential long-term starter, and he only has 2 more seasons after this of arbitration.
Newman is in a little better position than Senzel but he has just 2024 for his final arb year.

Barrero might be in a similar boat, although he's not even in arb yet.
He is 25 years old though and has had a terrible bat his entire time in the MLB though, so I'm not sure there's much value there either.

At this point, probably best to just keep any of these guys as utility depth guys until their contracts run out.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2023, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Honestly, there's not really any trade value in Senzel or Newman.
Senzel hasn't shown he's worth investing in as a potential long-term starter, and he only has 2 more seasons after this of arbitration.
Newman is in a little better position than Senzel but he has just 2024 for his final arb year.

Barrero might be in a similar boat, although he's not even in arb yet.
He is 25 years old though and has had a terrible bat his entire time in the MLB though, so I'm not sure there's much value there either.

At this point, probably best to just keep any of these guys as utility depth guys until their contracts run out.

Oh I get it for sure. Just hoping somebody out there was just looking to cut salary, think they can turn Barrero's career around, need Newman as a utility player, so on.

It's a pipe dream
Reply/Quote
Let's go Reds and win this thing. Glad we didn't trade away one of our good players. When we get our starting pitchers back, we will be ready for the playoffs.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
This got ugly quick. Good thing it's early. Other bad news the Brewers just scored 4 with 2 outs in the 4th to take a 5-3 lead.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
WTF Stephenson??????
Reply/Quote
Yeah this is over.
Reply/Quote
Brewers won so barring a crazy miracle the lead will go down to 1/2 game.
Reply/Quote
Moll looked pretty damn good. One bloop hit followed by a couple of strikeouts. I loved Brantley's laugh when he said ''LOL Yeah, I can see why lefties have problems hitting him''
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Hopefully the Cubs get it out of their system tonight and have nothing the next 2 games.
Reply/Quote
Bell threw this game. He just watched Lively get beat up badly. I guess the game was over in the first inning. Makes me wonder who bet against the Reds. It will be okay if we win 3 of 4 this series.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
20-9 WOW

Luckily, I didn't get to watch the slaughter.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 02:04 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Bell threw this game. He just watched Lively get beat up badly. I guess the game was over in the first inning. Makes me wonder who bet against the Reds. It will be okay if we win 3 of 4 this series.

By the end of the 2nd inning, it was clear we just needed to get innings out of Lively, regardless of how many runs he allowed. We needed to protect our bullpen more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2023, 11:27 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Moll looked pretty damn good. One bloop hit followed by a couple of strikeouts. I loved Brantley's laugh when he said ''LOL Yeah, I can see why lefties have problems hitting him''

Yep

Lets try and look for some positive in this butt whoopin. CES had 2 hits and 2 RBI's, and.... didn't strike out any. McClain just keeps on rocking.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
Well we've got Williamson going today. He's been pitching better of late. He's only given up 5 runs over last 3 games pitched and that's vs. Giants, Dbacks, and Dodgers.

Hopefully he can stop the bleeding from last night.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully this was a very rare bad outing from Lively.
I was hopeful he might be ok as 4th/5th starter through rest of this year, but man last night was a terrible time to have a horrible start.
Reds don't make a trade for a SP because they think their rotation will be good enough, and then a wallop like that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It's worth pointing out how easy the Brewers' schedule is over these next couple weeks:
Nationals (3 games)
Pirates (4 games)
Rockies (3 games)
White Sox (3 games)

The Reds do get the Nationals and Pirates as well in that span, but they have the Cubs and Marlins which are better teams.

It's very possible (likely?) the Brewers jump back into 1st place by mid-August just because of the caliber of teams both are facing.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote