Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 2023 thread
Yeah, that's never going to happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Weaver tonight

Perhaps he can pull his magic dust out and get us a win while getting rocked in the first 3 innings? Again
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 02:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Weaver tonight

Perhaps he can pull his magic dust out and get us a win while getting rocked in the first 3 innings? Again

The way sports usually works is, he'll throw 7 shutout innings tonight. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 12:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They do revenue sharing, just not equal splits like the NFL.

48% of teams local revenue is gathered together and then split 30 ways.
They also get their split of the national revenue.

The local revenue split in 2018 was an esrimated $118m.
The national revenue split in 2018 was an estimated $91m.
Then you add 52% of the team's local revenue.

Revenue sharing is less of an issue for MLB compared to the huge need for a salary cap and salary floor. There is zero reason for 8 MLB teams to have payrolls under $100m (10 under $120m). There is also no reason for 5 teams to have payrolls over $240m including two over $275m.

Thank you for this.

Knowing this, it blows my mind that teams spend under $120 mill a year. I'd be ok with some variation though if possible to get a compromise.
Like $150 mill floor, $200 mill cap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
EDLC with a first pitch leadoff homer!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
And of course Weaver gives the run right back.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 09:22 PM)cinci4life Wrote: And of course Weaver gives the run right back.

Still absolutely blows my mind that we're watching the 20th start of the season from a guy with a 6.80 ERA and averages less than 5 innings a start.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Get the first 2 out and should have been 1-2-3 but the next 6 reach. Just sickening.
Reply/Quote
Benson has to catch that.
Reply/Quote
[Image: we-suck-again-oh-no.gif]

Reply/Quote
Lost 3 of 4 to the scrubs. Inexcusable.
Reply/Quote
On the plus side, we weren't blown out tonight :)
Reply/Quote
It's pretty evident that the Reds made a decision to not sacrifice the next few years by not making trades, so they are probably ok if they don't make the postseason this year and just continue (hopefully) growing the rest of this season. If they get in, great. But if not, way above expectations.
I'm trying to have that same attitude now after seeing just one reliever added and the wallop the Cubs just did this last series.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 10:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Still absolutely blows my mind that we're watching the 20th start of the season from a guy with a 6.80 ERA and averages less than 5 innings a start.

Right, just dumbfounding !!! WTF

In 89 innings pitched the guy has gave up 114 hits. 71 runs, 22 HR's and opponents are batting .305 against him. And that's the best we can put out there? Hell I could probably best that. (not really but you know what I mean)
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2023, 09:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's pretty evident that the Reds made a decision to not sacrifice the next few years by not making trades, so they are probably ok if they don't make the postseason this year and just continue (hopefully) growing the rest of this season. If they get in, great. But if not, way above expectations.
I'm trying to have that same attitude now after seeing just one reliever added and the wallop the Cubs just did this last series.

It's a 3-team race now and it sure seems our team just is not going to have the pitching to stay in the hunt. We've still got nearly 3 weeks before Greene is supposed to return and like 4 more for Lodolo. Most likely too little too late.

We'll get em next season, I hope.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 11:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: we-suck-again-oh-no.gif]

Lets hope the Nationals can right the ship for us.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2023, 01:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's a 3-team race now and it sure seems our team just is not going to have the pitching to stay in the hunt. We've still got nearly 3 weeks before Greene is supposed to return and like 4 more for Lodolo. Most likely too little too late.

We'll get em next season, I hope.

I agree, it's a 3-team race.
I actually think the Cubs have the best team when considering both pitching and hitting.
Brewers I think have the worst hitting team, Reds have the worst pitching.

If the Reds do happen to make the postseason as either the division winner or WC, they'll have to play one of either the Braves (please no), Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, D-Backs, Marlins, or Brewers/Cubs. None of those teams are going to be easy, but at least everything is a series now. I think Reds have a better chance of winning a series than a single-game WC matchup like it was a few years ago.

I think, if anything, the Reds being right there for division lead got everyone through the NFL drought before preseason games, which is what I wanted most. Now, I can focus back on the Bengals just view the Reds as a luxury.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Don't the Reds return home tonight ? I think they do.

That was a long road trip. Reds did well at LA Dodgers, but the road got to them in Chicago.

Reds back in Great American needed. I hope THE FANS show up in good numbers, because Reds Owners need that as much or more than wins.

Reds besides missing injured pitchers, are missing once Rookie Of The Year India, and he is indeed a key Table Setter for The Reds. He gets on base, and the others drive him in. India should not be out long.

Anyway, Reds went on the road. I got bored with them on the road. Time for some REDS IN CINCINNATI.

But BEWARE the Dog Days of August. This is when the air goes out of the bag, fatigue sets in, and those horses who set the pace fall to the back of the pack. 1969, The Cubs were GREAT, but from the All-Star Game on, It was all The Mets.

I'm not looking play-offs as much as some of you. I was thinking have a good team Memorial Day and 4th of July and put Fans in Stands and have first year Reds make MONEY since covid, and REDS have DID THAT....Play-offs would be icing on the cake. Then in November, no more Moose or Votto Mega Millions paid out by Reds. THAT will be a WIN right there.

For Now, short term goal....a good Home Series this Weekend for the Fans who actually go to games in Cincy. For TV also, but mostly for the Fans in the Stands.

Hunter Greene looked good in 2 innings of work, and Reds plan on Hunter Greene now pitching some for Louisville Bats rehab. Reds are hoping to get Greene back in August and Lodolo after him, for that Play-Off Push as the horses are racing down the stretch to the finish line in September. Right now, the horses are only 2/3 of the way around the track with 2 months to go....Reds could have Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Abbott, Williams, Lively in September and October Play-Off Run.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The pitching has finally hit the wall. I'm surprised it held up as long as it did.

It will take several years to pass judgement on the path that the front office opted to walk down at the deadline.

If the Reds, fully formed with Marte and the young starters go on to win a title or two, this will look like an exercise in patience at a crucial time.

If they fail to become something more than what they were in June and July 2023, it will be a glaring missed opportunity.

Also, I think the lineup is starting to lack pop. The need a middle of the order power hitter,
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2023, 04:44 PM)samhain Wrote: The pitching has finally hit the wall.  I'm surprised it held up as long as it did.  

It will take several years to pass judgement on the path that the front office opted to walk down at the deadline.  

If the Reds, fully formed with Marte and the young starters go on to win a title or two, this will look like an exercise in patience at a crucial time.  

If they fail to become something more than what they were in June and July 2023, it will be a glaring missed opportunity.

Also, I think the lineup is starting to lack pop.  The need a middle of the order power hitter,

I believe a lot of that is just them all being rookies and younger players. They're all, at times, swinging out of their shoes trying to be the hero. They haven't figured out yet that they don't have to do that to hit HR's, doubles, off the wall, hard into the gaps etc.

They'll get there, eventually. Lets hope
Reply/Quote