Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG (/Thread-Is-Jackson-Carman-Your-Starting-LG)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - AtomicBlaze - 04-23-2022

The safe bet is to draft O-Line early, I don't want us passing on a top interior line prospect, we absolutely can not afford to have a leaky line this season. We have no quality depth, so 1 or 2 injuries to the O-Line which is pretty normal for a full season and the O-Line will be crap again, did we not learn from last season? I would like our QB to have a long career, so lets invest in his future. I still don't think we have done enough. We had 4 massive holes on the O-Line, plus lack of depth and we fixed 3 of them. We still need to fix LG and add depth. I don't want to rest my hopes on the Jackson Carman project and his bad back. The time is now for this team lets not screw around.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - tms - 04-24-2022

He is not. He had a chance to seize his role in the offense last year- at basically whatever position he wanted to play, save for LT- and he was relegated to Teams. We were forced to use injured players and back-end rotation guys as stopgaps on one of the most porous lines in the league, and he still couldn't find a way to contribute. At a time of great need when we literally had a Super Bowl in our sights, he seemed quite happy to hold himself to jumbo packages and field goals.

There could be other reasons, but I side with Occam on this one: sometimes the simplest explanation is the most likely. He's just not the right guy.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - bengalfan74 - 04-24-2022

(04-23-2022, 01:04 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: The safe bet is to draft O-Line early, I don't want us passing on a top interior line prospect, we absolutely can not afford to have a leaky line this season.  We have no quality depth, so 1 or 2 injuries to the O-Line which is pretty normal for a full season and the O-Line will be crap again, did we not learn from last season?  I would like our QB to have a long career, so lets invest in his future.  I still don't think we have done enough.  We had 4 massive holes on the O-Line, plus lack of depth and we fixed 3 of them.  We still need to fix LG and add depth.  I don't want to rest my hopes on the Jackson Carman project and his bad back.  The time is now for this team lets not screw around.

Agree 100%

They've done quite a lot to fix the Oline and that's great. But the Oline was so very bad that they still need to do more. It's not a finished project IMHO at this point.

The strength of this team is JB and the offense. We were an Oline away from winning the Super Bowl. Lets do it right and get it all the way fixed. As much as possible anyways.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - Emeritus - 05-19-2022

Tiger

I'm going on the record right now to tell you that I believe that Cordell Volson "WILL" be the starting left guard for the Cincinnati Bengals.....
Highlights:
https://youtu.be/G_h-m8zAUtY
Coaches:
https://youtu.be/P8Y6hVHADiw
Thats my story and Im sticking to it!

The only way that this doesn't happen in my opinion will be due to politics. Now your idea of that is just that. Its not so certain now and I'll leave it there..
ITS THE BIGGEST BATTLE IN CAMP!
The answer to my question is... Absolutely Not!

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - jason - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 12:07 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I'm going on the record right now to tell you that I believe that Cordell Volson "WILL" be the starting left guard for the Cincinnati Bengals.....
Highlights:
Coaches:

The only way that this doesn't happen in my opinion will be due to politics. Now your idea of that is just that. Its not so certain now and I'll leave it there..

Volson has a chance to be the first lineman to bring home the Golden Binns Award since Christian Westerman.

I'm kidding. I hope he's great.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - fredtoast - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 11:57 AM)jason Wrote: Volson has a chance to be the first lineman to bring home the Golden Binns Award since Christian Westerman.

I'm kidding. I hope he's great.

Don't have to go back that far.

Adeniji's "amazing quick feet" were supposed to be a key to fixing our O-line. "Best looking O-lineman at the Senior Bowl" or something like that.

I think I have said this before, but if a 4th round pick strays as a rookie then we have a big problem on our o-line.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - ochocincos - 05-19-2022

Highlights:
Coaches:

So the ONLY way that a 4th round rookie coming from the FCS doesn't get the starting LG job is due to politics?
Not because he might have a learning curve/adjustment going from FCS college to the NFL?

Most people feel that if there's a bona fide starter as a rookie, that player would go early in the draft.
Since you seem to be very adamant that Volson deserves that spot, do you feel he should have gone on Day 1 or early Day 2?
Wouldn't many draft analysts feel that way about Volson then to not project him as a Day 3 pick?

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - bengalfan74 - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't have to go back that far.

Adeniji's "amazing quick feet" were supposed to be a key to fixing our O-line. "Best looking O-lineman at the Senior Bowl" or something like that.

I don't claim to know what Adeniji's problems were last season ? But there were many, many plays where he got used and abused. Often it seemed he didn't know who to block, what his assignment was and so on.

Perhaps he can be coached up ? I dunno ? But if I had to bet right now my money would be on bust. If you can consider a 6th round draft pick a bust ?

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - Whatever - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 12:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't claim to know what Adeniji's problems were last season ? But there were many, many plays where he got used and abused. Often it seemed he didn't know who to block, what his assignment was and so on.

Perhaps he can be coached up ? I dunno ? But if I had to bet right now my money would be on bust. If you can consider a 6th round draft pick a bust ?

To be fair, Adeniji's big knock coming out was that he needed to add play strength and he suffered a torn pec during OTA's last year, which likely killed his off-season lifting program.  He came off the PUP midway through the season.  

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think I have said this before, but if a 4th round pick strays as a rookie then we have a big problem on our o-line.

It is still a dumb take. If Volson plays great it won't matter where he was picked.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - Stewy - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 12:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So the ONLY way that a 4th round rookie coming from the FCS doesn't get the starting LG job is due to politics?
Not because he might have a learning curve/adjustment going from FCS college to the NFL?

Most people feel that if there's a bona fide starter as a rookie, that player would go early in the draft.
Since you seem to be very adamant that Volson deserves that spot, do you feel he should have gone on Day 1 or early Day 2?
Wouldn't many draft analysts feel that way about Volson then to not project him as a Day 3 pick?

No he just hates Carman, and doesn't believe there is any logical reason everyone else shouldn't feel the same, so it has to be politics or some other conspiracy.

(05-19-2022, 01:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is still a dumb take. If Volson plays great it won't matter where he was picked.

True, but how many 4th round OL play great...especially as a rookie...especially coming from the FCS...

It's possible, but not probable at all.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: True, but how many 4th round OL play great...especially as a rookie...especially coming from the FCS...

It's possible, but not probable at all.

True as well. Sure like what I see with Volson though from all his tape and so far in TC. Stays extremely low with great technique,
has a nice athletic anchor which means he can move on top of being extremely physical. Plays mean and just seems to fit Pollack's
OL that he said he wanted in Glass Eaters like a glove. On top of all this seems really smart.

Carman just better be in shape cause I think this guy can at the very least push him.

(05-19-2022, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True as well. Sure like what I see with Volson though from all his tape and so far in TC. Stays extremely low with great technique,
has a nice athletic anchor which means he can move on top of being extremely physical. Plays mean and just seems to fit Pollack's
OL that he said he wanted in Glass Eaters like a glove. On top of all this seems really smart.

Carman just better be in shape cause I think this guy can at the very least push him.

Volson might turn into a sleeper who was discounted because of playing in the FCS.
It's happened before, but it's (very) rare.

I also think the whole "glass eater" thing is a bit overrated.
I'll believe Pollack's phrases when I start seeing the OL actually pass-blocking well.

(05-19-2022, 02:51 PM)Stewy Wrote: No he just hates Carman, and doesn't believe there is any logical reason everyone else shouldn't feel the same, so it has to be politics or some other conspiracy.

Some just hate Carman cause he was a 2nd round pick and knew nothing about him before the Draft. I wanted him in the 2nd
myself before the Draft, but that was before I heard about the back injury and surgery. This is my only question of him, not him
as a player, it is his health and the move to the right side of the Line to Guard which was hard on him clearly.

He played much better at LG when I watched him. I think he will be very good there if his back problems are behind him.

He is young, so it is entirely possible. Dude is a mauler in the run game and should be good at LG to cover his main weakness of
speed on the outside against Ends. He can handle strength no problem, speed sometimes gives him trouble.

(05-19-2022, 03:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Volson might turn into a sleeper who was discounted because of playing in the FCS.
It's happened before, but it's (very) rare.

I also think the whole "glass eater" thing is a bit overrated.
I'll believe Pollack's phrases when I start seeing the OL actually pass-blocking well.

I think Volson very well might. Sure looks the part and dominated that FCS. But the NFL is an entirely different animal.

At least Carman dominated top competition in college and has had flashes already in the NFL like that block he had against the 
Ravens last season in the first game for the big run that sealed it. Drove Brandon Willams at least 10 yards back like he was nada.

This is what I was expecting of Carman but the injury and the move to RG clearly slowed his growth as a rookie.

Agree on the last part, need to see this OL start to dominate in pass blocking as well as run blocking. Pollack is a very good run 
blocking OL coach and we all know that.

(05-19-2022, 01:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is still a dumb take. If Volson plays great it won't matter where he was picked.

I don't mean to bash Volson. He may very well develop into a solid starter down the road. But it is rare to find a rookie starter in the 4th round.

(05-19-2022, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean to bash Volson. He may very well develop into a solid starter down the road. But it is rare to find a rookie starter in the 4th round.

It DOES happen though. Geno Atkins is one of the best Bengals of all time and was a 4th rounder. 

Took him years though to get good so I understand your point about being a rookie and Volson is also from a small school like
Ocho said. But if he is the best LG for us come opening day and is playing great it might not necessarily be a bad thing either.

RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - kalibengal - 05-19-2022

Highlights:
Coaches:

yes and his draft profile had "glass eater and sh&t in his neck" listed...so hes a lock