Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
What would you like to happen? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: What would you like to happen? (/Thread-What-would-you-like-to-happen)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What would you like to happen? - JaggedJimmyJay - 01-03-2023

Probably won’t happen, but:

Scratch this game entirely. If the Bengals and Bills meet in the playoffs, play it at a neutral site (Detroit would be very fair).

I realize Buffalo would have the better record, but yesterday’s game was still for the 2-seed at least.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Von Cichlid - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:59 PM)samhain Wrote: We're getting into territory we perhaps shouldn't, and I don't want your scenario to play out without a win or loss to justify it.  That said, I'm not afraid for this team to play anyone, anywhere.  It's not "fair", but it would be better than the asterisk that would be placed next to a Buffalo forfeit that may or may not impact a title run for the Bengals.  I don't want that evil on this team.  They've come too far for people to be able to hang that on them.

I agree, we just broke the curse of Bo Jackson last year.  I don't think we need to benefit from this in any way to have a fair shot at the title this year.

Plus, playing at Buffalo is not my major concern. Last year the Bengals were the team that no one was talking about that went all the way.  This year it could be the Chargers or the Jags, which are both scarier than any of the WC teams last year.  The Ravens, if Jackson returns, are also better than any of the WC teams last year.

Fact is, the AFC (if Jackson returns) has 6 teams that will be tough outs.  The chances of any one team going the distance are low this year.   

RE: What would you like to happen? - mcapuano - 01-03-2023

Personally, if it was up to me, I think the bills should forfeit the game being unable/not ready to play it and I think bills mafia would all agree and be okay with that. I would also say they should do the same for next week against NE to give their players time to focus on their teammate and friend. I feel like that's their best choice to get in to the right head space and allow time to process what just happened.

If they did not go that route, then the game must be played and should resume where it left off. it's obvious that Buffalo and its players are distraught. Same even could be said for Cincinnati. Scheduling, timeframes and venues would all come in to play but they could re-arrange things. I don't know Damar personally, but, he's worked all season with that team and been with them and the Bills have earned their spot prior to the game last night, so I don't think he'd want his teammates to give up what they've all worked hard for.

RE: What would you like to happen? - XenoMorph - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 04:18 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I disagree with this. Why even play Week 18 then if you don’t resume this Bills Bengals game.

Because Final records of some of those games will Determine other teams getting into or out of the playoffs

RE: What would you like to happen? - XenoMorph - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 04:51 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Probably won’t happen, but:

Scratch this game entirely. If the Bengals and Bills meet in the playoffs, play it at a neutral site (Detroit would be very fair).

I realize Buffalo would have the better record, but yesterday’s game was still for the 2-seed at least.

I believe if buffalo won they maintain their #1 Seed as they hold the tie breaker.  

(01-03-2023, 04:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I believe if buffalo won they maintain their #1 Seed as they hold the tie breaker.  

They would yes. What I mean is that the winner last night would be leading as the #2 MINIMUM either way (projecting a home divisional round game).

RE: What would you like to happen? - WeezyBengal - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 04:51 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Probably won’t happen, but:

Then that ***** over the Ravens completely as they would have no chance to win the division. 

My biggest fear at this point is Buffalo trying to use this whole situation to their advantage.

There is more incentive for them to NOT PLAY this game and take a tie rather than to play it (down 7-3 and the Bengals threatening to score again) to try and claim the 1 seed.

If they lobby for a tie, it gives them the two seed, gives them one less game for their guys to get hurt, and eliminates the possibility of slipping to a 3 seed. Given how the game was going and the score, I think they'd be more than happy hanging on to the 2 seed rather than chancing it.

I hope I am wrong, but a tie really ***** over the Bengals here.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 04:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 2 bedroom or 3?  Ninja

lol 1 big bedroom, 2 small Wink

(01-03-2023, 04:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: There have been seven times that the Super Bowl took place only one week after the conference championships. Those were because of special circumstances. This could well qualify as a special circumstance, since an important game for standings was postponed.

Of course they won't move the Super Bowl. That date is set. But playoff games can be moved. No one even knows the date or place for the playoff games at this time anyway.

Absolutely agree: when you said move the playoffs a week, I thought you meant the SB too. ThumbsUp

In this day and age though, I can't see the teams NOT having a bye before the SB.

RE: What would you like to happen? - mcapuano - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 05:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My biggest fear at this point is Buffalo trying to use this whole situation to their advantage.

There is more incentive for them to NOT PLAY this game and take a tie rather than to play it (down 7-3 and the Bengals threatening to score again) to try and claim the 1 seed.

If they lobby for a tie, it gives them the two seed, gives them one less game for their guys to get hurt, and eliminates the possibility of slipping to a 3 seed. Given how the game was going and the score, I think they'd be more than happy hanging on to the 2 seed rather than chancing it.

You're going to catch a lot of slack for sounding insensitive.  But as a lifelong Bengal fan, we're talkin since Boomer and James Brooks in '88, I don't fear that. 

I know that this Bengals team is quite remarkable and they've proven themselves to me their resiliency, their ability to defy the odds, to come in as underdogs and win in big time games.  I don't think it matters what seed they enter the playoffs as because they will play their asses off no matter what.  The same could be said about Buffalo.   So let the chips fall where they may.  

It was a huge game seeding wise and with playoff implications and we all wanted to see Who Dey beat Buffalo and earn our stripes and spot as the top dogs in the AFC.. but right now that's a mentality it's not an outcome.  And the mentality shifted from football to humanity in the 1st qtr.   We were all pumped up about the game though, I for one spent the whole week watching youtube takes, Allen vs Burrow videos, arguing with my friends that we're gonna win (I'm from Rochester, everybody here is a bills fan) I was extremely confident in the Bengals ability the whole time.  They looked freakin' sharp too really early.  I thought Burrow was going to put up 5 TDs and take over the MVP discussion... but that was all overshadowed so fast.  A man could have died.. Literally freakin' died on national television.  so that's where the focus is now, and rightfully so.  

Buffalo should give time to their players and we should respect whatever decision grown ass adults and teams agree to come to and take and if the NFL season resumes and we enter and start the playoffs..... "They still gotta play us. "

(01-03-2023, 05:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Then that ***** over the Ravens completely as they would have no chance to win the division. 

They can still win week 18. The game is canceled.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Gdale_Bengal - 01-03-2023

The game shouldn’t end in a tie, as the Bills were down 7-3 when the game was postponed. If the Bills are arguing to tie, then rule the game as a win in favor of Cincy because of the score.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Science Friction - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 05:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My biggest fear at this point is Buffalo trying to use this whole situation to their advantage.

BINGO!!!! And that's exactly what they will do.  

Taylor should lobby just as hard for the damn game to be played. 

(01-03-2023, 05:25 PM)Science Friction Wrote: BINGO!!!! And that's exactly what they will do.  

IMO the Bills should be given the option to play it or forfeit. There should be no tie or "no contest". 

RE: What would you like to happen? - samhain - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 05:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Then that ***** over the Ravens completely as they would have no chance to win the division. 

If they do not play the Buffalo game, it basically locks the Bengals in as the 3 seed.  There would be no reason whatsoever. for the Bengals to play starters in week 18.  

The Bengals would have a disadvantage in that they lose a chance to earn home field in the divisional round.  They may have an advantage in that the starters will have played only part of a quarter of football since December 24th.  They could come into the Wildcard round at home on what amounts to almost 21 days of rest for key starters......

I feel like the league could take a real chicken turd path here if it wanted to.  If they don't make an official announcement of a tie, forfeit, or no-contest before Sunday's game, the Bengals would be forced to play without knowing what anyone else in the league knows about their record over 17 weeks.  If the Bengals beat the ravens, the league is off the hook due to mathematical elimination in the North.  Same deal if the Bills lost to NE simultaneously and gave the Bengals the 2 seed without resuming MNF if it's decalred a tie or non-game).  Could be wrong though, because we'd have the same record.  Cincinnati and Buffalo would both be 12-4 in that scenario.  

What really stinks for the Bengals is the early season close losses that would make all of this moot.  

RE: What would you like to happen? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 05:25 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: The game shouldn’t end in a tie, as the Bills were down 7-3 when the game was postponed. If the Bills are arguing to tie, then rule the game as a win in favor of Cincy because of the score.

If that is how it has to be that is how it has to be. Just like Overtime.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Memphis_Bengal - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 05:25 PM)Science Friction Wrote: BINGO!!!! And that's exactly what they will do.  

Absolutely nothing from the Bills owners, coaching staff or fans indicates they would try to use this to their advantage. GTFO with that sh

RE: What would you like to happen? - bengaloo - 01-03-2023

I wonder how the players and coaches feel about rescheduling this game.

Sometimes sportsmanship means accepting a disadvantage when demanding the advantage or even “competitive fairness” is equivalent to a breach of basic moral character or compassion.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Rubekahn29 - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 06:04 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Sometimes sportsmanship means accepting a disadvantage when demanding the advantage or even “competitive fairness” is equivalent to a breach of basic moral character or compassion.

Is it a breach of moral character for the team who can’t continue to forfeit? They do that in any individual sport. I honestly don’t know what the right answer is, but I can absolutely see the validation behind requesting Buffalo to forfeit.