Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Reds July 2023 thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Reds July 2023 thread (/Thread-Reds-July-2023-thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 07-13-2023

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cincinnati-reds-win-total-odds-over-under-prediction-for-2023/ar-AA1dOPxj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ea7c960ad2fd4d108081101320d8dee1&ei=13

We're 50-41 and there's 71 games remaining. If we go .500 the rest of the way we'd be at 86 wins. I'm going to go even higher than the author of the article and say we finish at 92 wins. Which would be the highest Reds win total since 2012 - 97

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - CJD - 07-13-2023

(07-13-2023, 12:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I sure hope Greene can get back sooner rather than later and be that top shelf pitcher again.

With Greene back, Abbott and an Ashcraft that seems to be getting back on track I'd feel much better. Lively seems like he could be a decent #5.

It's Weaver and Williamson that scare me.

Lively has been an absolute delight. I have no idea where he's getting it, but he has been a fantastic stopgap for a starting rotation that has suffered several key injuries (as well as several terrible players).

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - guyofthetiger - 07-13-2023

I hope the Reds can win 92 games this year and at least get a wild card into the playoffs. We still need starting pitching.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 07-14-2023

The rotation coming out of the gate
vs Brewers
Ashcraft vs Burnes
Abbott vs Peralta
Lively vs Houser
vs Giants
Williamson vs TBD . . . The Giants only have 2 starters listed coming back from break before three straight TBD
Weaver vs TBD
Ashcraft vs Stripling
Abbott vs Cobb

The Reds are scheduled 10 straight at home in 10 days plus three more in Milwaukee before a day off. If there are no rainouts or injuries, the Reds will have the same three pitchers scheduled facing Milwaukee before their first day off.

Milwaukee, however, gets Monday off after facing the Reds . . . what they do with their rotation on Wednesday will tell us what their thought process will be because they still don't have any pitchers listed after the series in Cincinnati.
https://www.mlb.com/brewers
https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/mil/milwaukee-brewers
If the Reds jump all over Houser on Sunday, that might force them to start Miley or Rea on Wednesday, figuring the #5 might do better than the #3. If it's their #5, he'll be starting vs Ashcraft and then it will be Burnes vs Abbott and Peralta vs Lively in the finale. If they skip the #5 coming out of the gate, then they're trying to get their top three against Cincy again. Personally, I would bump Miley into Houser's #3 spot after he just completely shut the Reds down.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 07-14-2023

(07-14-2023, 06:54 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The rotation coming out of the gate
vs Brewers
Ashcraft vs Burnes
Abbott vs Peralta
Lively vs Houser
vs Giants
Williamson vs TBD . . . The Giants only have 2 starters listed coming back from break before three straight TBD
Weaver vs TBD
Ashcraft vs Stripling
Abbott vs Cobb

The Reds are scheduled 10 straight at home in 10 days plus three more in Milwaukee before a day off. If there are no rainouts or injuries, the Reds will have the same three pitchers scheduled facing Milwaukee before their first day off.

Milwaukee, however, gets Monday off after facing the Reds . . . what they do with their rotation on Wednesday will tell us what their thought process will be because they still don't have any pitchers listed after the series in Cincinnati.
https://www.mlb.com/brewers
https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/mil/milwaukee-brewers
If the Reds jump all over Houser on Sunday, that might force them to start Miley or Rea on Wednesday, figuring the #5 might do better than the #3. If it's their #5, he'll be starting vs Ashcraft and then it will be Burnes vs Abbott and Peralta vs Lively in the finale. If they skip the #5 coming out of the gate, then they're trying to get their top three against Cincy again. Personally, I would bump Miley into Houser's #3 spot after he just completely shut the Reds down.

Let's hope Ashcraft can get us of to a good start on this stretch. These next 16 games will tell us a lot I believe.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - ochocincos - 07-14-2023

I do think the Reds can make the playoffs, but I do worry about being able to win a postseason series with the pitching staff the Reds have.
The entire collection of starting pitchers is extremely inexperienced despite having a couple bright spots.
Greene and Abbott have done well this year, and Ashcraft has been getting back to form since returning from his injury.

No pitcher added is guaranteed to make a positive impact, but this might be the best team we've seen in a decade, so I hope they do something to solidify the pitching in the next few weeks.

(07-14-2023, 10:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I do think the Reds can make the playoffs, but I do worry about being able to win a postseason series with the pitching staff the Reds have.
The entire collection of starting pitchers is extremely inexperienced despite having a couple bright spots.
Greene and Abbott have done well this year, and Ashcraft has been getting back to form since returning from his injury.

No pitcher added is guaranteed to make a positive impact, but this might be the best team we've seen in a decade, so I hope they do something to solidify the pitching in the next few weeks.

Agree

Even if Greene returns to form and Ashcraft gets it fully together, they're still going to need at least 1 more experienced starter. Who knows when or even if Lodolo will be back and if he'll be effective? They need more decent innings from starters. 

I just feel to be any kind of semi serious playoff team they have to shore up the pitching staff.

Just after 10 am here in Alaska . . . pre game starts at 2:30 . . . a little nervous about watching them face Burnes again but still pretty excited. I'm sure it's great for the players but I am not a fan of Thursdays off after the All-Star break.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - WildfireMicro - 07-14-2023

No matter what happens this season, I have a good feeling about the future with our rookies So much that I bought this hat a while ago

[Image: 20230623_130611.jpg]

(07-14-2023, 04:53 PM)WildfireMicro Wrote: No matter what happens this season, I have a good feeling about the future with our rookies  So much that I bought this hat a while ago

[Image: 20230623_130611.jpg]

Yup

They've probably got a 2-4 year window to get it done before you know what happens.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - cinci4life - 07-14-2023

Someone posted before that India needs to be pulled out of the #3 spot. Well wish granted. India is down to #5 and Fraley is #3.

Bell still screws it up . . . should be Steer in the #3 hole. At least he's mixing up his lefties this time

The Reds should try a new strategy against Burnes.

Take the first pitch fastball for a strike and then swing at everything in the dirt . . . oh wait, that's all they do.

What happened to the damn offense????

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - guyofthetiger - 07-14-2023

Lost count of the Reds strikeouts at 16. Elly had at least 3. Time for the hitting coach to do something.

With the way India is struggling right now i wish he would have taken that last pitch no matter what. If it was strike 3 then so be it but i'd rather take the chance of it being ball 4 and getting Votto a chance.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 07-15-2023

(07-14-2023, 10:45 PM)cinci4life Wrote: What happened to the damn offense????

They started the All Star break a game early and took an extra day after. Hopefully they're ready now.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - kevin - 07-15-2023

(07-14-2023, 10:45 PM)cinci4life Wrote: What happened to the damn offense????

Milwaukee is good.  Good pitching stops good hitting, has been true in baseball for centuries. Was true in 1990 World Series.

Big Play-Off Race Game today.   Reds are OK in this 6 game series with Milwaukee before and after All-Star game, IF Reds win today with Abbott on the mound.  So I'm going Lou Costello here and Who's On First and yelling out, " HEY ABBOTT ".

Anybody who didn't see this Milwaukee series coming as tough was too impressed with Reds clobbering last place Washington.  GO REDS behind Abbott today and get another win against Milwaukee in this 6 game match-up for FIRST PLACE. 

Also, the Reds Bullpen was in dire need of the 4 day All-Star Break. However hitters hate 4 days off, and like golfers, they now need to get back in the swing of things. Reds will be OK, these guys can hit. And they can run the bases. Get after Milwaukee today.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - Earendil - 07-15-2023

There's always been something about Milwaukee. They have the Reds' number. Even when they are in the basement, they seem to be able to beat the Reds regularly.

RE: Reds July 2023 thread - cinci4life - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 11:39 AM)kevin Wrote: Milwaukee is good.  Good pitching stops good hitting, has been true in baseball for centuries. Was true in 1990 World Series.

Burnes has a near 4 ERA and given up the 2nd most runs among Brewers pitchers only behind their starter today Peralta. Earlier when they faced the Dodgers Gonsolin they scored 4 runs on him while he came into that game with a 1.77 ERA. Burnes is a good pitcher but not a world beater and there is just no excuse to come out of the all star break with a dud like that.