Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Covington High School Issue - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Covington High School Issue (/Thread-Covington-High-School-Issue)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Covington High School Issue - bfine32 - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Motives obviously don't matter to you because you said they were being disrespectful.

Most people consider it disingenuous to condem people for saying the exact same thing you say yourself, BUT TO EACH HIS OWN. LMAO

Fred Logic:

bfine uses the word motive to illustrate the difference between act and intent

Fred ignores the use of the word motive and makes feeble claim bfine contradicted himself (only Fred knows for what purpose)

bfine points to his use of the word motive

Fred asserts the word motive doesn't matter to bfine

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 05:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fred Logic:

bfine uses the word motive to illustrate the difference between act and intent

Fred ignores the use of the word motive and makes feeble claim bfine contradicted himself (only Fred knows for what purpose)

bfine points to his use of the word motive

Fred asserts the word motive doesn't matter to bfine

[Image: giphy.gif]

Bfine says boys were being disrespectful.  He even brags about being the first one to say it.

Bfine turns around and claims the boys were NOT being disrespectful and anyone who claims they were being disrespectful "looks ignorant".

And absolutely no one is surprised.

Hilarious

(01-30-2019, 06:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bfine says boys were being disrespectful.  He even brags about being the first one to say it.

Bfine turns around and claims the boys were NOT being disrespectful and anyone who claims they were being disrespectful "looks ignorant".

And absolutely no one is surprised.

Hilarious

Please share the post where I stated the boys making the chopping movement were not being disrespectful.

(01-30-2019, 07:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Please share the post where I stated the boys making the chopping movement were not being disrespectful.

Here

(01-29-2019, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We have no idea if the kid's motives were to be disrespectful or join in using a gesture they've seen used at sporting events. Context.

Easy for an adult to say "mocking" especially if they have an agenda. 

First you said they were being disrespectful.  Then you did a 180 and claimed they were not being disrespectful but were instead were just doing a sports cheer.

(01-30-2019, 07:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here

First you said they were being disrespectful.  Then you did a 180 and claimed they were not being disrespectful but were instead were just doing a sports cheer.

Still didn't see where I stated they weren't being disrespectful; but folks can clearly see that. Not that they'll say a peep, but they can clearly see it. 

I said "we don't know if their motive was to be disrespectful". If you don't know the difference I cannot help you and I know no one else will. 

(01-30-2019, 08:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Still didn't see where I stated they weren't being disrespectful;

Can you see where you said they were not "mocking"?

Are you claiming their is a difference between "mocking" and "being disrespectful"?

(01-30-2019, 08:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I said "we don't know if their motive was to be disrespectful". If you don't know the difference I cannot help you and I know no one else will. 

Well I am sure you can help me with this.  Why is it okay for you to say they were disrespectful, but if anyone else does it they "look foolish"?

(01-30-2019, 08:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well you can help me with this.

Why is it okay for you to say they were disrespectful, but if anyone else says it then they "look foolish"?

Or are you admitting that you also look foolish for saying they were disrespectful?
Just as I assumed no one else would help you out and I no longer have the desire; as it's like talking to a child. How will you ever learn your lesson.

Good luck with the rest. 

RE: Covington High School Issue - Dill - 01-30-2019

(01-28-2019, 06:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What makes this interesting?  Your first article bemoans that one time pariahs became heroes without referring to the horrendous reporting that made them pariahs.

This one is interesting only if you haven't heard a liberal speak in the last twenty-five years.  

Finally back on the computer.  I am going to answer this response first today, to explain what makes it "interesting" for me.

In 2016, as Trump began his successful run for president, longstanding concerns about the cumulative political effects of alternative (right-wing, non-MSM) media suddenly became more urgent, creating a spike in publications by philosophers, historians, ex-military and intelligence analysts,  social scientists of all stripes, and even conservative never-Trumpers examining the damage to social authority, democratic institutions, and public discourse as the promotion of spectacle has displaced logical, fact-based inquiry into social and political issues in news and social media--to the point that MILLIONS of voters comfortably accept, for example, Trump's view of ISIS or Iran or Russia or NK or the southern border over professional intel assessments by our intel community.  

One element of this larger response to fragmenting authority and trust in public institutions has been the attempt of journalists seeking both to describe the logic of the new mediascape and to combat its ill effects by increasing critical media literacy.  This has been a largely losing battle as, for example, Trump's definition of "fake news" has come to dominate public discourse even in this barely liberal leaning forum, rather than the more useful and critically limited one which journalists originally coined to refer to the use of fake news sites purveying outright lies--not real news produced by real news organizations which can be mistaken or slanted or just anti-Trump. 

So it is in the context of this general effort of journalists and others seeking to get a handle on how the media "works" today that I read all three of the articles I posted on the Covington HS incident. Their value for me is whether how well they advance our understanding of this new media environment. The Covington boys are best the secondary object of critique in these essays, which are focused on media response and the dialectic between "left" and right media.

What you've dismissed as more "liberal speak" in Molly Roberts article appears to me as yet another of these efforts to describe the logic of the new media, this time in response to the Covington HS moment and focused primarily on what many would call the "liberal" or MSM.  The first version of the video is "concocted" with help of "inauthentic internet actors."  She acknowledges the deplorable "hate mobbing" that followed the first video version of the event. That is no defense of "horrendous reporting" at least.   

She argues that NEITHER the liberal nor the "Republican" version capture the truth, referencing the "mess of different segments" of video which can be cobbled together in various ways.  Given this constantly recurring problem of fragmentation and decentering in today's reporting (which, to my knowledge, "liberals" have not been complaining about for the last 20 years) she argues that "context demands more than watching a single event from all possible angles." It requires "understanding the world in which the event happened"--which I take to mean historical/social contextualization of some sort. Thus she still affirms that the loathsome character of boys behavior in the original behavior is unredeemed by later revelations that others were acting badly as well or "they did it first." This is not the same as picking whatever version fits one's ideology and agenda, and then running with that, since there is still the requirement of empirical verification--a requirement ignored in the final liberal assessment of the incident in its hurried response to the right-wing media's accusations of bias.  If I understand her correctly, she is arguing that many versions of the "same" event doesn't mean all versions are equally valid, nor does it mean that constructing and accepting a final version is simply adjusting events to a pre-existing agenda. If liberal media has traditionally been more evidence- and less spectacle-based in the past, it may now be coming unmoored, capable of being knocked out of its lane, so to speak, by the more aggressive right wing media, making for an even more unstable media environment.  That is the central problem Roberts addresses. 

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-30-2019

Fred, why didn't you respond to my previous post in this thread?

RE: Covington High School Issue - Dill - 01-31-2019

(01-28-2019, 09:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s not critical or analytical. They chose a side and wrote accordingly. Did either of them give any accountability to Phillips?  You can’t possibly think these are critical and analytic. Defending Sandmann is hyper political right wing manipulation. Defending Phillips is critical and analytic.

We may be seeing these writers' goal differently.  While none shies from evaluation, they are not primarily engaged in "moral critique," which calls out bad behavior, usually independently of any social/historical contextualization. Were that the primary goal, then it would be curious as to why, given three culpable parties, they focus is mainly on one.  (If bad individual behavior should be the topic, then far worse than the original actors, in my view, are those who afterwards addressed threats somewhat to Phillips and journalists, more seriously, to Sandmann.) They are engaged in the larger critical project I described in post # 248 above.

I don't see how a defense of Phillips was the goal of any article I posted.  Do you mean by implication? By default?

Social analysis breaks social processes and events down into parts and describes relationships between these. It is descriptive and empirical, and distinct from moral critique, even though it may become a basis for the latter.  So in the articles in question, can we identify an analytical component, a description of process distinct from moral claims and party affiliation?  I think we can.

Wilson makes a number of what I take to be factual, empirical statements about the GENERAL character of the current media environment, including the nonprofessional contributions of bystanders with smart phones. E.g., he says the ubiquity of recording "shatters the public record into dozens of pieces," opening the possibility of "alternative edits" which can be taken in differing ideological directions.  "Additional footage" enables later reframing and re-interpretation of events.  This complements Roberts' description as well.  Do you think this is, so far, right or left or neither? Certainly it is analytic, is it not?

These general points are then addressed to the SPECIFIC case of media response to the CHS video. Do they apply?  In the next segment of the article he tracks the right wing response to the initial "liberal" version of the video by demonstrating how various new pieces and vantages points are added to the original story and, by force of one influential interpretation, "reframed" into a dominant, eventually exculpatory version repeated by FOX, prominent right wing media personalities, and the highest ranking Republican in the land, which casts the boys now as innocent victims of "fake news."  Given the internal policing goes on as well, as conservative news outlets which originally condemned the boys' behavior are called back in line by Tucker Carlson, the goal at this point seems less to defend the boy and his school than to further undermine the liberal media and enforce unanimity on the right. Wilson mirrors the other two articles in criticizing the liberal media for uncritically jumping on a band wagon, and then just as uncritically jumping off when challenged. So yes, "critical" analysis, most of which is based upon empirical claims. It is testing those claims which should determine whether there is in fact "hyper political right wing manipulation" going on.    

RE: Covington High School Issue - fredtoast - 01-31-2019

(01-30-2019, 11:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Fred, why didn't you respond to my previous post in this thread?

There was nothing to respond to.  You neither explained why it was impossible for Sandman to walk up steps or post a video that showed anything different from the one I posted showing young men surrounding him.

RE: Covington High School Issue - michaelsean - 01-31-2019

(01-30-2019, 10:58 PM)Dill Wrote: Finally back on the computer.  I am going to answer this response first today, to explain what makes it "interesting" for me.

In 2016, as Trump began his successful run for president, longstanding concerns about the cumulative political effects of alternative (right-wing, non-MSM) media suddenly became more urgent, creating a spike in publications by philosophers, historians, ex-military and intelligence analysts,  social scientists of all stripes, and even conservative never-Trumpers examining the damage to social authority, democratic institutions, and public discourse as the promotion of spectacle has displaced logical, fact-based inquiry into social and political issues in news and social media--to the point that MILLIONS of voters comfortably accept, for example, Trump's view of ISIS or Iran or Russia or NK or the southern border over professional intel assessments by our intel community.  

One element of this larger response to fragmenting authority and trust in public institutions has been the attempt of journalists seeking both to describe the logic of the new mediascape and to combat its ill effects by increasing critical media literacy.  This has been a largely losing battle as, for example, Trump's definition of "fake news" has come to dominate public discourse even in this barely liberal leaning forum, rather than the more useful and critically limited one which journalists originally coined to refer to the use of fake news sites purveying outright lies--not real news produced by real news organizations which can be mistaken or slanted or just anti-Trump. 

So it is in the context of this general effort of journalists and others seeking to get a handle on how the media "works" today that I read all three of the articles I posted on the Covington HS incident. Their value for me is whether how well they advance our understanding of this new media environment. The Covington boys are best the secondary object of critique in these essays, which are focused on media response and the dialectic between "left" and right media.

What you've dismissed as more "liberal speak" in Molly Roberts article appears to me as yet another of these efforts to describe the logic of the new media, this time in response to the Covington HS moment and focused primarily on what many would call the "liberal" or MSM.  The first version of the video is "concocted" with help of "inauthentic internet actors."  She acknowledges the deplorable "hate mobbing" that followed the first video version of the event. That is no defense of "horrendous reporting" at least.   

She argues that NEITHER the liberal nor the "Republican" version capture the truth, referencing the "mess of different segments" of video which can be cobbled together in various ways.  Given this constantly recurring problem of fragmentation and decentering in today's reporting (which, to my knowledge, "liberals" have not been complaining about for the last 20 years) she argues that "context demands more than watching a single event from all possible angles." It requires "understanding the world in which the event happened"--which I take to mean historical/social contextualization of some sort. Thus she still affirms that the loathsome character of boys behavior in the original behavior is unredeemed by later revelations that others were acting badly as well or "they did it first." This is not the same as picking whatever version fits one's ideology and agenda, and then running with that, since there is still the requirement of empirical verification--a requirement ignored in the final liberal assessment of the incident in its hurried response to the right-wing media's accusations of bias.  If I understand her correctly, she is arguing that many versions of the "same" event doesn't mean all versions are equally valid, nor does it mean that constructing and accepting a final version is simply adjusting events to a pre-existing agenda. If liberal media has traditionally been more evidence- and less spectacle-based in the past, it may now be coming unmoored, capable of being knocked out of its lane, so to speak, by the more aggressive right wing media, making for an even more unstable media environment.  That is the central problem Roberts addresses. 

First of all, this assignment was due Tuesday night so you're lucky I even read it.  I'm going to have to reread the articles, but you seem to give a lot of credit to the authors here.  When I see the basically complete omission of Phillipps from the dialogue, then I have a hard time believing this is some unbiased attempt to look at the bigger picture.  If I walked into a group of Native Americans, and belted out Dies Irae five inches from some dudes face, and some of them started saying nasty things to me, I doubt I would be all but left out of the conversation of the bigger picture as far as complicity.  I notice a lot of keep your religion in your church people thinking his intervention was just dandy because it was religious.  

RE: Covington High School Issue - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 10:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: First of all, this assignment was due Tuesday night so you're lucky I even read it.  I'm going to have to reread the articles, but you seem to give a lot of credit to the authors here.  When I see the basically complete omission of Phillipps from the dialogue, then I have a hard time believing this is some unbiased attempt to look at the bigger picture.  If I walked into a group of Native Americans, and belted out Dies Irae five inches from some dudes face, and some of them started saying nasty things to me, I doubt I would be all but left out of the conversation of the bigger picture as far as complicity.  I notice a lot of keep your religion in your church people thinking his intervention was just dandy because it was religious.  

Kudos to you for your patience.  Dill is one of those types that believes he is even keel and non-partisan when in reality he is as hyper partisan as anyone on this board.  Anyone reading his laughable example of an "unbiased" article references how the kids hats are clearly triggering and evidence that they were seeking confrontation.  Also, how dare the media get called out for rushing to conclusions instead of actually doing their job and investigating the incident before making a report and conclusion on what occurred?

People like Dill make a lot of hay out of Trump's attacks against the media.  I wholeheartedly agree that he goes too far.  However, the reason the attacks stick, and sting, is there's far more truth to them then people like Dill will ever admit and the incident at hand is a perfect example.  

RE: Covington High School Issue - GMDino - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 12:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Kudos to you for your patience.  Dill is one of those types that believes he is even keel and non-partisan when in reality he is as hyper partisan as anyone on this board.  Anyone reading his laughable example of an "unbiased" article references how the kids hats are clearly triggering and evidence that they were seeking confrontation.  Also, how dare the media get called out for rushing to conclusions instead of actually doing their job and investigating the incident before making a report and conclusion on what occurred?

People like Dill make a lot of hay out of Trump's attacks against the media.  I wholeheartedly agree that he goes too far.  However, the reason the attacks stick, and sting, is there's far more truth to them then people like Dill will ever admit and the incident at hand is a perfect example.  

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c531a6e6d42714645c904f4]

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There was nothing to respond to.  You neither explained why it was impossible for Sandman to walk up steps or post a video that showed anything different from the one I posted showing young men surrounding him.

Incorrect.  

It showed that Sandman had been standing there the entire time.  Meaning that he didn't approach the Native Americans.  I also showed how the students didn't surround Phillips (and were never surrounding him), as you claimed.

RE: Covington High School Issue - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 12:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c531a6e6d42714645c904f4]

Attempt to be clever gif aside, I've challenged you numerous times to make the case that I am not a centrist.  I have cited numerous examples of left leaning policies I support.  Several of the board members who identify as conservative have cited disagreeing with me on numerous issues.  But I suppose actually proving your argument is much more difficult than posting what you think is a clever gif.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.

RE: Covington High School Issue - BFritz21 - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There was nothing to respond to.  You neither explained why it was impossible for Sandman to walk up steps or post a video that showed anything different from the one I posted showing young men surrounding him.

Also, you claimed that the entire group was doing the chop and chanting at him, which I clearly proved as wrong, and the kids were doing chants and cheers and jumping around as Phillips walked up, meaning that it's not like they all the sudden got all aggressive towards him.

(01-31-2019, 01:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Incorrect.  

It showed that Sandman had been standing there the entire time.  Meaning that he didn't approach the Native Americans.  I also showed how the students didn't surround Phillips (and were never surrounding him), as you claimed.

I posted a video.  I don't care what you say.  Until you post a video there is proof that he was surrounded.

As for Sandman standing there the entire time I never disputed that, so I don't even know what you are talking about.

Remember, all we are discussing is the original video.  I admitted that it was deceptive, but it did show Mr. Phillips surrounded by the students.  Apparently you have never watched that video.  It is quite clear.

(01-31-2019, 01:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Also, you claimed that the entire group was doing the chop and chanting at him, which I clearly proved as wrong,

I said some of them ere doing the chop which was offensive, and you agreed with me.

(01-29-2019, 07:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There was two, maybe three kids doing the chop, which, while offensive, they thought they were just playing along with Phillips,

Neither you nor I can say what these young men were thinking.  So there is no point arguing back and forth over something neither of us can prove.  You can continue to pretend that you know, but you really don't. 

RE: Covington High School Issue - Dill - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 10:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: First of all, this assignment was due Tuesday night so you're lucky I even read it.  I'm going to have to reread the articles, but you seem to give a lot of credit to the authors here.  When I see the basically complete omission of Phillipps from the dialogue, then I have a hard time believing this is some unbiased attempt to look at the bigger picture.  If I walked into a group of Native Americans, and belted out Dies Irae five inches from some dudes face, and some of them started saying nasty things to me, I doubt I would be all but left out of the conversation of the bigger picture as far as complicity.  I notice a lot of keep your religion in your church people thinking his intervention was just dandy because it was religious.  

Give me a little break on this.  My basement flooded last Tuesday and I am living in a hotel. Still I took the time to write out a careful response to your objections. Two in fact. Take that as a sign of respect.

Also, while reading or re-reading, I'd encourage you to set aside the bias-hunting and follow the argument first.

I described a problem--the displacement of evidence-based inquiry by spectacle--which is addressed by multiple "experts" in many fields. This problem affects our democracy and institutions in profoundly negative ways.  If you don't agree that this problem exists, and for the reasons I have given, or you agree it exists but doesn't have the pernicious effects to which I refer, then let me know, and maybe explain why you doubt that. No sense me addressing the wrong arguments.

If you do agree it exists, then you should also agree that describing and addressing it are good things. The question then is, do the articles I posted correctly/usefully describe and address this problem?  And/or have I mischaracterized the articles, misunderstood what they were about? Have they mischaracterized the logic of the CHS video news cycle?  Is it possible one could usefully describe the current media environment, and even the logic of this particular news cycle, without mentioning or condemning Phillips?  You seem to be closing that possibility out from the get go.

I have distinguished analysis from moral critique and argued the real target of all three articles I posted is media behavior. You still seem focused on the moral critique--no one is criticizing that bad Indian guy for beating his drum in a kid's face.  Ergo "bias."  This suggests to me you are expecting something other than description of the "bigger picture." 

OR, that you and I have a very different idea of what the bigger picture is, and so a different idea of what problem critical media accounts should be addressing. I suspect the latter. In any case, I don't think Phillips is an aggressor in this situation, nor do the authors I posted, and that is why they are not trying to litigate that. I would like to know how a critique of Phillips would make more accurate an account of how news is fragmented, rearranged, and reframed by different news sources. Not saying it wouldn't, would just like a reason beyond correcting a claimed bias. Suppose they did correct it. Would their analysis of the media environment be better? At the moment I don't see what changes.

That said, I am quite willing to entertain the claims that essential information has been left out of my author's accounts which affects accuracy. E.g., more might be said about how the initial liberal version was constructed--especially attempts to link the boys behavior to a specific "culture" fostered in Catholic schools, when I'm sure one can find same liberal sprinkling of MAGA hats and tomahawk choppers in ANY body of U.S. high schoolers, likely MORE in the Montana HS from which I graduated.  There might be a parallel here to the rapid linking of interpretation and focus in right wing media.  Then, as I said before, there is still so little focus on doxxing and death threats enabled by new media, and are now part of the new environment, seemingly deployed spontaneously by "both sides."  Incorporating that recognition by researching it would advance the kind of knowledge the authors claim to be after. But it would not vitiate what they have already established.