Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington High School Issue
There was a thread started on this earlier that much like the government got shutdown. My apologies to the OP (Brad) if I had anything to do with it. But I do feel it's a subject that deserves discussion and I suppose we should try to do it in a manner the Mods condone.

Seems the Covington Catholic School was canceled today because of security threats:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/backlash-lincoln-memorial-confrontation-220515362.html

Many of these threats are likely from a truncated video and Mr Phillips assertion that he was surrounded and fearful.

Not happy with the fact that the longer video seemed to absolve the kids of any wrong doing there suddenly becomes an issue of the kids dressing up in "black face" and yelling at a black player at a basketball game 7 years ago:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/covington-catholic-students-blackface-race-issues_us_5c472a2de4b0a8dbe1752db5

Never mind that the kids entire bodies were painted in black for a theme night and they were a couple of the few kids that were not yelling in the image.

It has further been brought to light that Mr Phillips in not a Vietnam Veteran (not Phillips fault) as many media outlets continue to refer to him as.

My initial response was the Elder did nothing wrong, but the more that is discovered and the more the story changes; I'm beginning to question my initial view.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I would have posted this in the other thread about this subject, however it was locked for some reason (I'm not being a smart ass, I literally didn't see why the thread was locked).

Nathan Philips, the Native American man in the Covington HS video, claimed in an interview that he was a Vietnam veteran. Here's the proof.

Quote:Phillips: When I was there and I was standing there and I seen that group of people in front of me and I seen the angry faces and all of that, I realized I had put myself in a really dangerous situation. Here's a group of people who were angry at somebody else and I put myself in front of that, and all of a sudden, I'm the one whose all that anger and all that wanting to have the freedom to just rip me apart, that was scary. And I'm a Vietnam veteran and I know that mentality of "There's enough of us. We can do this."

Now, I'm not offended by much (please note that annoyed and offended are not the same thing), but pretending to be a Vietnam Veteran offends the hell out of me. As some of you may remember, my father served a bit more than two tours in Vietnam. I remember people disparaging him for serving in that war, I had an eighth grade English teacher call my father a baby killer. If you're not old enough to remember, being a Vietnam vet was seen as a negative until after the first Gulf War, when we decided as a nation that our veterans, especially our combat veterans, deserved our respect, regardless of the war they served in. Since then it has become cool to say you served in Vietnam and people, including a member of Congress, have lied about serving in that conflict. If you lie about serving in that conflict (and yes every conflict, but especially that one), you are the lowest piece of garbage and deserve nothing but our scorn and disdain.

So, the early reports of this story aside, the poor native man is a lying piece of garbage. Quite the hero the media chose to prop up there.
(01-23-2019, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There was a thread started on this earlier that much like the government got shutdown. My apologies to the OP (Brad) if I had anything to do with it. But I do feel it's a subject that deserves discussion and I suppose we should try to do it in a manner the Mods condone.

Seems the Covington Catholic School was canceled today because of security threats:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/backlash-lincoln-memorial-confrontation-220515362.html

Many of these threats are likely from a truncated video and Mr Phillips assertion that he was surrounded and fearful.

Not happy with the fact that the longer video seemed to absolve the kids of any wrong doing there suddenly becomes an issue of the kids dressing up in "black face" and yelling at a black player at a basketball game 7 years ago:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/covington-catholic-students-blackface-race-issues_us_5c472a2de4b0a8dbe1752db5

Never mind that the kids entire bodies were painted in black for a theme night and they were a couple of the few kids that were not yelling in the image.

It has further been brought to light that Mr Phillips in not a Vietnam Veteran (not Phillips fault) as many media outlets continue to refer to him as.

My initial response was the Elder did nothing wrong, but the more that is discovered and the more the story changes; I'm beginning to question my initial view.

I was literally writing this thread, when you posted this one.  Phillips absolutely did lie about serving in Vietnam, he literally said so in an interview with CNN.  

Mods, please fell free to merge these two threads, I don't see a reason for both of them.
(01-23-2019, 12:20 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I was literally writing this thread, when you posted this one.  Phillips absolutely did lie about serving in Vietnam, he literally said so in an interview with CNN.  

Mods, please fell free to merge these two threads, I don't see a reason for both of them.

Yeah, I read your thread and it's something I was not aware of. I read Huffpo (haha) retracted reporting him as a Vietnam Veteran and stated he was a Vietnam era veteran. 

I agree with the merger. the significance of the issue, and the perplexity of why Brad's thread was locked.*

* Not questioning the reasoning for doing so

Poor, innocent, children who never did anything wrong themselves...even that very day.   Mellow

I still wish that at SOME point during ANY of the videos a chaperone would have stopped the kids from engaging with the other protestors...but hey...boys will be boys, eh?

But please, let's have a couple more threads about how one side is much worse than the other.

While we're having the discussion though:

https://www.newsweek.com/twitter-suspends-account-published-viral-native-american-and-covington-maga-1299539

U.S.

Quote:The Twitter account that launched a viral video of a high school Catholic student wearing a pro-Trump cap confronting a drum-beating Native American got suspended on Monday.

CNN Business first reported that, after so many media requests regarding the account, Twitter suspended the account of @2020fight, which posted the original video with this inscription.

"This MAGA loser gleefully bothering a Native American protester at the Indigenous Peoples March," @2020fight stated.

The post spread on Twitter and Instagram quickly, garnering 2.5 million views and a few thousand retweets within a couple of days.

A Twitter spokesperson told The Hill that the video shown is only a partial clip of the entire scene that happened.

"Deliberate attempts to manipulate the public conversation on Twitter by using misleading account information is a violation of the Twitter Rules," the Twitter spokesperson told The Hill.

According to the report, @2020fight seems to be the property of a California school teacher. But a CNN report indicates the photo is from a blogger in Brazil. Twitter said that, according to its guidelines, it takes steps to prohibit “fake and misleading accounts.”

You guys can go back to enjoying each others company...I'm sure the conversation will be really interesting!  ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(01-23-2019, 12:18 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I would have posted this in the other thread about this subject, however it was locked for some reason (I'm not being a smart ass, I literally didn't see why the thread was locked).

Nathan Philips, the Native American man in the Covington HS video, claimed in an interview that he was a Vietnam veteran.  Here's the proof.

Now, I'm not offended by much (please note that annoyed and offended are not the same thing), but pretending to be a Vietnam Veteran offends the hell out of me.  As some of you may remember, my father served a bit more than two tours in Vietnam.  I remember people disparaging him for serving in that war, I had an eighth grade English teacher call my father a baby killer.  If you're not old enough to remember, being a Vietnam vet was seen as a negative until after the first Gulf War, when we decided as a nation that our veterans, especially our combat veterans, deserved our respect, regardless of the war they served in.  Since then it has become cool to say you served in Vietnam and people, including a member of Congress, have lied about serving in that conflict.  If you lie about serving in that conflict (and yes every conflict, but especially that one), you are the lowest piece of garbage and deserve nothing but our scorn and disdain.

So, the early reports of this story aside, the poor native man is a lying piece of garbage.  Quite the hero the media chose to prop up there.

It takes like ten second to see he didn't lie.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/21/nathan-phillips-vietnam-veteran-status-question/

Quote:A careful reading of Mr. Phillips‘ own descriptions does not make clear if he ever set foot in Vietnam. Instead, he has used much more careful language claiming he is a “Vietnam times veteran,” an ambiguous phrasing that led many media accounts to conclude he was a combat veteran.

So disparaging the guy who actually served and who didn't say what you said  (no matter how others reported it/said it)is a really nice look!

"lying piece of garbage"...indeed.
(01-23-2019, 12:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Poor, innocent, children who never did anything wrong themselves...even that very day.   Mellow

I still wish that at SOME point during ANY of the videos a chaperone would have stopped the kids from engaging with the other protestors...but hey...boys will be boys, eh?

But please, let's have a couple more threads about how one side is much worse than the other.

While we're having the discussion though:

https://www.newsweek.com/twitter-suspends-account-published-viral-native-american-and-covington-maga-1299539

U.S.

You guys can go back to enjoying each others company...I'm sure the conversation will be really interesting!  ThumbsUp

I believe my post was about the Native American man lying about being a Vietnam veteran, something you didn't even attempt to address.  But thanks for trying to obfuscate and avoid questions raised, business as usual.  Also, you accusing others of having a little mutual admiration society (see what i did there?) is irony at its best.  
(01-23-2019, 12:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: You guys can go back to enjoying each others company...I'm sure the conversation will be really interesting!  ThumbsUp

I don't understand why you chose to make it personal; that how threads get locked. So please refrain from doing so in my thread.

As to the videos of :"It's not rape if you enjoy it". I've seen that and the school has promised to launch an investigation into it and if the kid in question is a student.

I don't thin anyone has ever said the kids didn't do anything wrong. I have suggested they have been unfairly painted as racists/bigots..ect...

Do you agree or disagree or are you just saying?

(01-23-2019, 12:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: It takes like ten second to see he didn't lie.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/21/nathan-phillips-vietnam-veteran-status-question/

So disparaging the guy who actually served and who didn't say what you said  (no matter how others reported it/said it)is a really nice look!

"lying piece of garbage"...indeed.

Learn.

To.

Read.

Quote:Phillips: When I was there and I was standing there and I seen that group of people in front of me and I seen the angry faces and all of that, I realized I had put myself in a really dangerous situation. Here's a group of people who were angry at somebody else and I put myself in front of that, and all of a sudden, I'm the one whose all that anger and all that wanting to have the freedom to just rip me apart, that was scary. And I'm a Vietnam veteran and I know that mentality of "There's enough of us. We can do this."

https://m.cnn.com/en/article/h_1dc42c3dec10ec0d383aa008f55e4bf1
(01-23-2019, 12:42 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I believe my post was about the Native American man lying about being a Vietnam veteran, something you didn't even attempt to address.  But thanks for trying to obfuscate and avoid questions raised, business as usual.  Also, you accusing others of having a little mutual admiration society (see what i did there?) is irony at its best.  

I did...in your thread.

You didn't address anything I posted either...so...obfuscate?   Hilarious

Get some sleep.
(01-23-2019, 12:44 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Learn.

To.

Read.

https://m.cnn.com/en/article/h_1dc42c3dec10ec0d383aa008f55e4bf1

Semantics.

You claim to respect those who serve but not those who lie about it.  He didn't lie.

Learn respect.
(01-23-2019, 12:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: I did...in your thread.

You didn't address anything I posted either...so...obfuscate?   Hilarious

Get some sleep.

You're right, you did, and looked completely unfamiliar with the English language in so doing.  Remember, "he's not pointing a gun at that cop"? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  Smirk
(01-23-2019, 12:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Semantics.

You claim to respect those who serve but not those who lie about it.  He didn't lie.

Learn respect.

Not sure that's semantics. 

(01-23-2019, 12:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Semantics.

Learn respect.

And I'm a Vietnam veteran .

Not a lot of room for semantics there.  
(01-23-2019, 12:46 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're right, you did, and looked completely unfamiliar with the English language in so doing.  Remember, "he's not pointing a gun at that cop"? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  Smirk

Bringing up other threads is bad form...so I'm told.

Also:

(01-23-2019, 12:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't understand why you chose to make it personal; that how threads get locked. So please refrain from doing so in my thread.

Please respect the rules.   Mellow
(01-23-2019, 12:48 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And I'm a Vietnam veteran .

Not a lot of room for semantics there.  

Learn respect for those who served.

Thanks.
(01-23-2019, 12:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: Bringing up other threads is bad form...so I'm told.

Also:

Please respect the rules.   Mellow

Oh, obvious troll is obvious.  Don't like the truth so try and get the thread deleted.  You couldn't be more transparent if you were rubbed by a Filet-O-Fish.
(01-23-2019, 12:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure that's semantics. 

Of course it is.

I've told people I'm a child of the 60's.  I was born in 1969.

He officially says he served in the Marines at the time of Vietnam...you don't like that he was too young to go?  You never seem to have a problem with the draft dodgers in your party who could have gone.

Learn respect.
(01-23-2019, 12:46 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're right, you did, and looked completely unfamiliar with the English language in so doing.  Remember, "he's not pointing a gun at that cop"? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  Smirk

As I asked Dino, let's try to refrain from personal attacks. This issue has many facets and I'd prefer a discuss about it; regardless how biased it may be.

You guys want to get personal, do so it your thread. 

Also, thanks to your dad for his service. Without knowing him; he's a hero of mine.

(01-23-2019, 12:51 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh, obvious troll is obvious.  Don't like the truth so try and get the thread deleted.  You couldn't be more transparent if you were rubbed by a Filet-O-Fish.

I did no such thing.

I simple asked you respect what bfine posted.

(01-23-2019, 12:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I asked Dino, let's try to refrain from personal attacks. This issue has many facets and I'd prefer a discuss about it; regardless how biased it may be.

You guys want to get personal, do so it your thread. 

Also, thanks to your dad for his service. Without knowing him; he's a hero of mine.

See.

I am respecting it.  Please do the same.