Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Joe speaks out - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Joe speaks out (/Thread-Joe-speaks-out)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Joe speaks out - Essex Johnson - 06-05-2020

(06-05-2020, 10:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lighten up, college is the time to experiment with having stuff crammed down your throat.  Plus, what are these young people wearing when these professors start "forcing" their liberal ideas on them?  If a college kid is wearing tie dye or something then I'd say they are putting it out there that they are receptive to these ideas.  I'm just saying.

Side note, Goodell himself is saying he was wrong about the whole Kaepernick thing so it looks like we might need to bail out Vince McMahon to get the XFL back up and running if we want real America-loving football any time soon.

the problem is the trend is there is only one way of thought for college professors.. anything different.. they are out the door...

RE: Joe speaks out - Nately120 - 06-06-2020

(06-05-2020, 11:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: the problem is the trend is there is only one way of thought for college professors.. anything different.. they are out the door...

That sucks that republicans aren't allowed to teach.  This country is crazy.

RE: Joe speaks out - WestCoastBengalsFan - 06-06-2020

Gotta say that I'm pretty proud of this group of fans we have on the message board for not turning this into an uncivil screaming/pissing match. Nearly every thread anywhere else (Twitter, FB, etc) is an absolute mess when discussing the recent BLM & Police Brutality stuff. So I guess what I'm trying to say is good job everybody!

RE: Joe speaks out - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-06-2020

(05-29-2020, 07:17 PM)Mer Wrote: You are correct. They're racist people everywhere against all races. Almost 20 years ago I moved back from Montana to Ohio. A guy that worked for the 5 Rivers Metro Parks was trying to recruit me to work for them because of my education and experience as a biological technician out west. The one thing he told me was, "When you fill out the application don't check Caucasian. Check other, because they won't even call you if they know you're white.".  He was black. When I walked in for the interview their was a white guy and a black guy doing the interview. I'm blonde hair and blue eyed. They both looked very confused at me, then each other, then the paper work in front of them, and then back at me. I knew at that moment I wasn't getting the job. Unfortunately the guy that tried to recruit me explained that at that park district they hired to fill quotas not qualified people. And by the way, he was the manager of one of their largest parks. 

The one good thing that came out of it is when my non-white students ask if I know what it's like to be discriminated against I can honestly look at them and say yes.

I'm actually glad they didn't hire me though because I'd have never realized my true passion which is teaching. 

Did you ever consider employers frown upon prospective employees lying on their application?

Naw, couldn’t have been a question of honesty and integrity.

Must have been discrimination.

RE: Joe speaks out - jason - 06-06-2020

(06-05-2020, 10:37 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Yeah I can already tell I'm not going to get to watch this year.  See you all next year.

It doesn't affect me at all, and everyone is free to do whatever, but I find it silly to deprive yourself of something you enjoy like that. First of all... There is a rule in effect about standing now. Second a Cincinnati Bengal has yet to kneel during the anthem. Third... They really only show the anthem on TV during the playoffs and Superbowl... We ain't getting there. So unless you actively search out who did what during the national anthem, you'd never know. There very well may not be any NFL this year, so it's all a lil moot anyway.

I just wonder what will be the big decisive issue this time next year that will make us choose sides, and abandon things we otherwise enjoy.

(05-30-2020, 10:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Regarding all lives matter, the best comparison I've seen is the very popular slogan "Save the Rainforest."
The purpose of this slogan was not "**** all other forests, only help one kind."
It was "the Rainforest specifically is under attack. We need to protect it."

Just like saying black lives matter does not imply that only black lives matter. It's just that black lives are being systemically undervalued in this country (in a variety of ways that goes beyond just police shootings) and that needs to be addressed.

I don't think saying all lives matter is racist. But it's definitely completely missing the point.

What about save the whales?

No, all marine mammals matter!

RE: Joe speaks out - HarleyDog - 06-06-2020

(06-06-2020, 11:54 AM)jason Wrote: It doesn't affect me at all, and everyone is free to do whatever, but I find it silly to deprive yourself of something you enjoy like that. First of all... There is a rule in effect about standing now. Second a Cincinnati Bengal has yet to kneel during the anthem. Third... They really only show the anthem on TV during the playoffs and Superbowl... We ain't getting there. So unless you actively search out who did what during the national anthem, you'd never know. There very well may not be any NFL this year, so it's all a lil moot anyway.

I just wonder what will be the big decisive issue this time next year that will make us choose sides, and abandon things we otherwise enjoy.

That’s some very good points. When it was happening before, I was upset about it, but not upset enough to take away my football. Although I do understand Bonnies passion. I was extremely proud of the Bengals players not taking a knee. However, some may feel obligated to do so this year. If they do, not going to be too upset and will still enjoy my day. I guess what matters is what that flag and anthem means to me and the world’s still going to turn rather I agree or disagree with others actions or opinions.

(05-30-2020, 05:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It doesn't matter at all that black people resist more than white people. That statement ignores the history of police violence towards black people and it is the policeman's job to break that cycle, not the black people.

We live in a world where a cop can claim that he was scared and feared for his life as a reason to killing an unarmed person and then that same unarmed person is told (or rather, people who are outraged at his death are told) that if they just followed the rules and didn't resist arrest/panic, they'd still be alive.

We're literally victim blaming victims of police brutality and then wondering why people are pissed off at the police right now.

Police are paid and trained to de-escalate situations. It is not the job of the victims of police brutality to de-escalate the situation. The victims are unarmed, untrained and scared. It should be expected that they act irrationally when a gun (or taser, or whatever) is being waved in their face. 

Are they statistically more likely to resist? Or are the statistically more likely to be charged with resisting?

I had a friend arrested for drug possession. He had a prescription pain pill in his pocket for a hernia operation. Neither of us knew not having the pill in the prescription bottle was illegal. The police officer also arrested him for resisting when he asked, “Are you ***** serious?” All charges were dropped later. But that’s all it takes to be arrested for resisting.

RE: Joe speaks out - CJD - 06-06-2020

(06-06-2020, 12:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That’s some very good points. When it was happening before, I was upset about it, but not upset enough to take away my football. Although I do understand Bonnies passion. I was extremely proud of the Bengals players not taking a knee. However, some may feel obligated to do so this year. If they do, not going to be too upset and will still enjoy my day. I guess what matters is what that flag and anthem means to me and the world’s still going to turn rather I agree or disagree with others actions or opinions.

It's a whole new landscape now. Even the NFL said it was wrong to condemn peaceful protest.

The tides are finally turning. Turns out, it takes violent protest to make people realize maybe peaceful protesting isn't so bad.

RE: Joe speaks out - CJD - 06-06-2020

(06-06-2020, 12:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Are they statistically more likely to resist? Or are the statistically more likely to be charged with resisting?

I had a friend arrested for drug possession. He had a prescription pain pill in his pocket for a hernia operation. Neither of us knew not having the pill in the prescription bottle was illegal. The police officer also arrested him for resisting when he asked, “Are you ***** serious?” All charges were dropped later. But that’s all it takes to be arrested for resisting.

That's a good question. I'm not sure. I think all the "BuT bLaCk PeOpLe CoMmIt MoRe CrImE" arguments are pretty absurd to begin with. Studies have shown that black people were arrested and charged for possessing weed at a much higher rate than white people, despite black and white people statistically smoking it at an equivalent rate.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case with resisting arrest as well.

(05-31-2020, 01:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: Police have a history of violence towards blacks.  Blacks have a history of violence towards police.  It's the responsibility of both to break the cycle, because both parties are going to point at each other with the "They started it" rhetoric.  

What's the solution, then?  Should suspects just be allowed to resist as much as they want because they're scared?  Should cops just be able shoot first and ask questions later because they're scared?  

It's all of our responsibilities as citizens to not commit crimes.  If people didn't commit crimes, the cops wouldn't need to arrest them.  If the cops didn't need to arrest them, then people wouldn't be resisting arrest.  If people weren't resisting arrest, then there'd be no excessive force.  Maybe the solution is we all take responsibility for ourselves as individuals and quit blaming groups?

I recognize it is a difficult and dangerous job, but I’m sorry there is no excuse for excessive force. Resisting arrest notwithstanding. I’ve seen plenty of examples of unnecessary excessive force without provocation this week.

(05-31-2020, 04:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: Is every charge of resisting arrest justified?  No.  Does the fact that every charge of resisting arrest isn't warranted mean that no charge of resisting arrest is warranted?  No.  Let's look at the statistics from SF that I posted earlier.  African Americans accounted for 6% of the population, but 45% of resisting arrest charges in misdemeanor cases.  In order for the resisting arrest rate for African Americans to be in line with their population, only 13% of those cases could be legitimate.  The other 87% were just made up.  Does anybody really believe that only one in ten cases of resisting arrest involving African American suspects is legitimate?  I hope not.  Even if half of those cases are made up BS, their rate of resisting arrest is still almost four times their population percentage.

Dude, people of all races get stopped for stuff they consider to be BS.  When I was living in a primarily black neighborhood, I got stopped and my truck searched because I was doing 38 in a 35.  I've seen firsthand a cop pull his weapon on a 40 something white woman who had his back turned to him in a Chipotle in the Ohio State campus area.  I used to have a one bedroom apartment that was technically in Upper Arlington(wealthy section of Columbus) and I would get stopped in my old Crown Vic with the caved in door and peeling paint all the time.  I got pulled over for doing 50 in a 45 one night a few months back.  Cops are going to stop you if you look out of place or if you or your vehicle matches the description of a suspect.  When I got pulled over in the black neighborhood, I had started renting space in a house with a coworker and he had told me there were drug houses in the area.  The cops see a white male they don't know rolling through and they're going to stop me and check it out.  That lady the cop pulled the gun on matched the description of a woman who was just involved in a bank robbery nearby.  When I would get stopped in my old beater car I looked massively out of place driving by a bunch of houses with Mercedes and BMW's in the garage.  When I got stopped a few months back, the cop went to my passenger side window and I could tell he had his hand on his holster.  He asked for my license, which I already had out and asked if I knew why he stopped me.  I told him because I was doing 50 in a 45.  He handed back my license, never asked for my registration and let me off with a warning.  It was pretty obvious he pulled me over because my car matched the description of a suspect vehicle and something was up because of just how hurried he acted through the whole thing.  

Both of my parents and my Grandfather had talks with me about dealing with police when I got my learners permit.  Whether you're black, white, Hispanic, Asian, whatever, if you get loud with a cop, you're headed for trouble.  Many African Americans have a tendency to get loud and defiant in an attempt to assert dominance in confrontations.  White people are generally more willing to show deference to authority figures, hence parents not being as worried about what happens when they get stopped.  

I might suggest generalizations like this combined with equivocal conclusions might be why certain races are charged with resisting arrest more than other races.

(06-01-2020, 03:22 AM)J24 Wrote: He is better than most of the backups in the league but I have serious questions on wether he wants to be in the league.
The NFL basically gives him a tryout for all 32 teams and he turns them down? 

With no cameras. No reporters. Which creates a “he said, she said” environment in which the NFL gets to control the narrative. If he is black balled, the NFL gets to report the try out wasn’t NFL level with no witnesses to dispute their claims. If he isn’t black balled and everything is on the up and up, why not open the work out to the media like the combine and pro day workouts?

Why did the NFL insist on a lack of transparency?

RE: Joe speaks out - samhain - 06-06-2020

(06-05-2020, 10:37 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Yeah I can already tell I'm not going to get to watch this year.  See you all next year.

That's what you said last time IIRC.  

RE: Joe speaks out - J24 - 06-06-2020

(06-06-2020, 03:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: With no cameras. No reporters. Which creates a “he said, she said” environment in which the NFL gets to control the narrative. If he is black balled, the NFL gets to report the try out wasn’t NFL level with no witnesses to dispute their claims. If he isn’t black balled and everything is on the up and up, why not open the work out to the media like the combine and pro day workouts?

Why did the NFL insist on a lack of transparency?

The NFL doesn't have media at any of it's tryouts.  Why should Kaepernick get special treatment? 

RE: Joe speaks out - samhain - 06-06-2020

(06-06-2020, 01:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's a whole new landscape now. Even the NFL said it was wrong to condemn peaceful protest.

The tides are finally turning. Turns out, it takes violent protest to make people realize maybe peaceful protesting isn't so bad.

Possibly.  

I agree about the landscape.  If people were offended last time around, they might as well forget about the NFL.  It's going to be on a massive scale and players will likely be even more vocal.  

I think the league has already proven that it doesn't matter anyway.  The anti kneelers were basically celebrating their boycotts ending the league and making it go broke during the Kaepernick dust-up.  The league looks pretty healthy to me from a financial standpoint, as does Nike after doubling down on the Kaepernick ad.  The owners probably realize by now that people who get mad about protests aren't going to hurt their profit margins nearly as much as they like to think, and this time around, even more people support peaceful protests.  The league probably stands to lose a lot more by cracking down on protests than allowing them right now.  

If you want the "sons of bitches" as a certain individual once called them to just shut up and tackle, you're going to be getting used to life without pro football.  That is unless of course you're a total hypocrite that just takes a position on social media and continues to watch when nobody's paying attention.  

The league is a product that's as strong as any out there, and it will continue to rake in dollars regardless of what the anti-kneelers elect to do. 

(06-02-2020, 09:02 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: There is a right to protest and I totally support that, but don't tell me my uncle died to support rioting, violence, and destroying businesses and churches, because he did not.  You spit on his name saying things like that.  Chauvin showed excessive force and should be found guilty in a court of law and sent to prison.  That conviction and prison sentence will be justice for George Floyd, not the destroying of an unrelated business or setting fire to a church, or attacking other police officers.

Was your uncle involved with police brutality or racial inequality? No? Then Kaepernick hasn’t protested your uncle or spit on his name.

I’m a veteran, also. I don’t believe Kaepernick is disrespecting the anthem, flag, service members, or the nation. Why? Because I listened to his reasons for protesting, rather than politicians telling me what his reasons are in an attempt to turn his protest into something it isn’t.

(06-06-2020, 03:34 PM)J24 Wrote: The NFL doesn't have media at any of it's tryouts.  Why should Kaepernick get special treatment? 

They have media at the combine and pro days. And those are try outs.

(06-02-2020, 10:49 PM)JSR18 Wrote: The root of the problem is NOT Police brutality.

The root of the problem is an entire culture who think that laws don't pertain to them because they were made by people with different skin color.

Or a whole generation of white, black, brown or red 20 somethings who have never been told no in their entire lives until they encounter police or other authoritarian figures.

I will grant you that there are some very bad people that should not be carrying badges and enforcing laws. TS, the majority of police officers are good every day people just trying to do their jobs....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So I guess that would mean there aren’t any police officers under the age of 30 and they all have the same skin color?

Or you’re sweeping generalizations are incorrect.

You’re a police officer, correct?

(06-03-2020, 07:57 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm sorry for your losses too.  However, when the riots include attacking, injuring, and even killing police officers, how do you justify that?  Now a retired African American Police Captain, David Dorn, has been murdered in cold blood during these riots.  Is he not as important as George Floyd? Where's the media outrage?  The crazy thing is, the majority agreed, Republican, Democrat, and Independent,  this was excessive force in the George Floyd case. The vast majority, including me, agreed the police officer Chauvin should be tried and convicted in a court of law.  I agree with peaceful protests, but what justice is it when the protesters against the murder of a black man start murdering black men? I strongly believe that Antifa is the group committing the majority of the violence for their own purposes, and they don't give a rat's ass about George Floyd or anything besides their own agenda.

If you believe Antifa is responsible for the violence then why blame the protestors for the violence?