Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Joe speaks out
Unusual for rookie anyone no less a rookie QB....good for him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Right on, Joe. I like him even more now.
I almost wish famous people would remain silent instead of making meaningless "thoughts and prayers" type posts like this.

It is like they want to get credit for being on the right side without actually having to do anything.

I guess they feel like they are doing something just because they have lots of fans, and it is good to know he cares, but people with millions of dollars should do more than just make posts like this. Hopefully he will in the future. All of this is new to him. I am not even sure if he has signed his contract and gotten paid yet.
(05-29-2020, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I almost wish famous people would remain silent instead of making meaningless "thoughts and prayers" type posts like this.

It is like they want to get credit for being on the right side without actually having to do anything.

I guess they feel like they are doing something just because they have lots of fans, and it is good to know he cares, but people with millions of dollars should do more than just make posts like this.  Hopefully he will in the future.  All of this is new to him.  I am not even sure if he has signed his contract and gotten paid yet.

I agree, just play football Joe.
Good on ya Joe. Fact is, professional athletes have an elevated platform on issues due to the fact the Americans value the profession highly. It seems he chooses his words with care which I appreciate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I appreciate any time a person with a platform stands up for human rights. Especially when they are associated with groups that aren't typically considered liberals, like NFL football fans. Double points because he is speaking to Ohio and Louisiana crowds mostly, rather than New York or California crowds.
(05-29-2020, 04:23 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I appreciate any time a person with a platform stands up for human rights. Especially when they are associated with groups that aren't typically considered liberals, like NFL football fans. Double points because he is speaking to Ohio and Louisiana crowds mostly, rather than New York or California crowds.

Definitely agree with that.

He said the right things no question.
(05-29-2020, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I almost wish famous people would remain silent instead of making meaningless "thoughts and prayers" type posts like this.

I guess they feel like they are doing something just because they have lots of fans, and it is good to know he cares, but people with millions of dollars should do more than just make posts like this.  Hopefully he will in the future.  All of this is new to him.  I am not even sure if he has signed his contract and gotten paid yet.

you know who will appreciate him speaking up...his teammates.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

That's my QB.
(05-29-2020, 04:37 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: That's my QB.

Love your profile picture. Getting my 2002 SI Cover signed next week by Maurice.

I think it is actually "doing something" because he's a hero to many young kids, and this might introduce a perspective into their lives they might not otherwise have had. Lots of those Southeast Ohio kids will grow up not knowing a single black person, and hearing only negative things (like I did growing up in rural NW Pennsylvania). He didn't say thoughts and prayers, he said other people should listen. Maybe some will now. 

You make your opinions known on political issues more than most.  Often you'll even derail threads that are supposed to be football related by getting caught up in debates about things like abortion.

One could easily argue your opinions shared are meaningless too.  I mean, what are you actually doing when you're in the PR forum?  Are you making a diifference?  Or are engaging in debate simply for the love of the game, and/or to be right/win fake internet points?

Joe Burrow is entitled to his opinions as much as you are.  The fact he chose to share them should be something you greatly relate to.  To questions his motives, or to deem the result of his sharing as meaningless, seems incredibly hypocritical.
(05-29-2020, 04:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You make your opinions known on political issues more than most.  Often you'll even derail threads that are supposed to be football related by getting caught up in debates about things like abortion.

One could easily argue your opinions shared are meaningless too.  I mean, what are you actually doing when you're in the PR forum?  Are you making a diifference?  Or are engaging in debate simply for the love of the game, and/or to be right/win fake internet points?

Joe Burrow is entitled to his opinions as much as you are.  The fact he chose to share them should be something you greatly relate to.  To questions his motives, or to deem the result of his sharing as meaningless, seems incredibly hypocritical.

My sentiments exactly.

Pretty sure Joe Burrow can't just pay racism to go away.

Michael Jordan doesn't speak up, people hammer him for sitting on his hands. Joe Burrow speaks up, Fred tells him to shut his mouth and give away his livelihood instead.
I never told Joe to shut up.  He is free to say whatever he wants.

Joe and I are on the same side with this issue.  So i don't have a problem with that either.

I just wish famous people did more with the platform they are given.  Just look at all the attention Kaepernick got, yet not one person can tell me a specific policy that he was supporting.  In stead it seems like too many famous people want to make posts but do nothing else.  Kaepernick actually donated over a million dollars to charities, and I hope Burrow does the same.  But these people could be so much more effective if they actually said what they wanted to happen.

The single biggest issue that needs to be corrected to start addressing the problems of police brutality is independent prosecutors to handle these cases.  And not just a prosecutor from an neighboring district.  There need to be truly independent from law enforcement in order to investigate and prosecute law enforcement officers.  It is just very frustrating for me to hear all these famous people making "thoughts and prayers" type posts without addressing anything of substance.

Like I said, many of them have donated a lot of money and started foundations to help these causes.  And I hope Joe does the same thing.  So I wasn't really bashing him in any way.

At least he is not selling his soul for cash like Michael Jordan did.
This last case was murder but in 2019 370 whites, 235 blacks and 158 Hispanics were killed by cops. More whites are killed every year and the media doesn’t report that but they report every black killed. The media seems to want a race war because they magnify one race that’s getting killed by cops. These cops deserve to be punished harshly in this latest case but burning down building isn’t the answer.
(05-29-2020, 05:38 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This last case was murder but in 2019 370 whites, 235 blacks and 158 Hispanics were killed by cops. More whites are killed every year and the media doesn’t report that but they report every black killed. The media seems to want a race war because they magnify one race that’s getting killed by cops. These cops deserve to be punished harshly in this latest case but burning down building isn’t the answer.

Hey hey check out the whataboutism going on here.
(05-29-2020, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, just play football Joe.

I disagree brother. He's not a robot. He's a human being who happens to be passionate about things like feeding the hungry, equality and civil rights. Being a football player doesn't mean he isn't allowed to share his thoughts about those things.
(05-29-2020, 05:46 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Hey hey check out the whataboutism going on here.

I’m not making light of a single Black Death. I’m saying that this obvious media agenda has led to much of this rioting and animosity. It’s not only blacks that are killed. I think that this particular cop deserves the death penalty. It’s not whataboutism. It’s about having honest discussions about the entire problem. It’s not simplistic.
(05-29-2020, 05:38 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This last case was murder but in 2019 370 whites, 235 blacks and 158 Hispanics were killed by cops. More whites are killed every year and the media doesn’t report that but they report every black killed. The media seems to want a race war because they magnify one race that’s getting killed by cops. These cops deserve to be punished harshly in this latest case but burning down building isn’t the answer.

I don't want this to become a P&R subject, but you have to look at those numbers in context to each groups percentage of the population. Once you do that, you start to realize somethings not adding up.