Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Joe speaks out
(05-30-2020, 12:07 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The shitty part is when he will get special privelages in prison. Throw him in with everyone else in there and let’s see how long he lasts. Hopefully he gets treated like every other prisoner, but you know he will get special treatment because of his situation. Those 5 days wouldn’t mean much if he had to mingle with the rest of the scum.

While part of me wishes that would happen to him, the rational side of me likes to believe that we aren't a cruel society. We should be better than the true evildoers that we deem necessary to lock away. That guy wouldn't stand a chance in the general population of a state pen... I've heard that more than one of those four officers have histories of misconduct/ and or brutality too. So yes; many an inmate would be salivating to get a shot a him/ them. Spending maybe the rest of or a good chunk of his life locked up will be plenty of punishment... Especially if a good chunk of it is isolated in solitary confinement... Which is cruel as hell too.

I'm not sure I've really addressed the main topic of the op. This is who Joe Burrow is. He's spoken up about the poverty in his neck of the woods (he didn't grow up that way either), he's taken sides on issues that shouldn't really be politicized, and he's fairly articulate. This won't be the last time we hear him pipe up about something... He's also not alone at the moment. Carson Wentz, Tom Brady, JJ Watt, and other white athletes have spoken out on this.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-30-2020, 12:35 AM)Whatever Wrote: He's very likely out on bail until his trial now.  If they had arrested him 4-5 days ago, he would have very likely made bail then and still would have been out of jail awaiting trial.  I realize it's a slam dunk conviction, but voices aren't being heard because a murderer is getting his due process?

I hear you... But that's not my point. Any of us would've been arrested that day. Maybe even by one of the 3 other officers on the scene. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic... I dunno. Not to mention the fact that bond gets denied or set at a ridiculous amount for people charged with murder. They're kinda a flight risk.

And history and experience tells me that this might not be the slam dunk conviction that we all know it should be.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-30-2020, 12:37 AM)jason Wrote: I'm not sure I've really addressed the main topic of the op. This is who Joe Burrow is. He's spoken up about the poverty in his neck of the woods (he didn't grow up that way either), he's taken sides on issues that shouldn't really be politicized, and he's fairly articulate. This won't be the last time we hear him pipe up about something... He's also not alone at the moment. Carson Wentz, Tom Brady, JJ Watt, and other white athletes have spoken out on this.

On that, I can't help but notice the difference in reactions:

Joe speaks out about the poverty problems in SE rural Ohio --- praised by almost everyone for stepping up.

Joe speaks out about helping the black community --- a whole lot of people telling him to shut the hell up.
(05-30-2020, 12:41 AM)jason Wrote: I hear you... But that's not my point. Any of us would've been arrested that day. Maybe even by one of the 3 other officers on the scene. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic... I dunno. Not to mention the fact that bond gets denied or set at a ridiculous amount for people charged with murder. They're kinda a flight risk.

And history and experience tells me that this might not be the slam dunk conviction that we all know it should be.

5 days is actually pretty quick to charge someone with murder.  Usually, they initially ask you to turn yourself in if you're not considered a flight risk.  It isn't like the movies and tv shows.  He may have had bond set at at a ridiculous amount, but the other cops aren't going to let him rot in jail awaiting trial.  They're gonna take care of their own.

He'll likely plead to the manslaughter charge and be out in under 5 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-30-2020, 12:43 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: On that, I can't help but notice the difference in reactions:

Joe speaks out about the poverty problems in SE rural Ohio --- praised by almost everyone for stepping up.

Joe speaks out about helping the black community --- a whole lot of people telling him to shut the hell up.

Yeah... It's ugly. The crazy thing is that the most incendiary media voices on both sides are pretty much universally condemning what we see in that video. Hannity, Rush, MSNBC, CNN... They're all in agreement. That incident is bad... And people feel the need to tell him (Burrow) to shut up.

The comments section is really why I quit social media a few years ago. Watching a guy in Idaho arguing with someone in Connecticut that they'll never meet in their lifetime was too much for me... Everything turns to vitriol within a couple of comments.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-30-2020, 12:43 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: On that, I can't help but notice the difference in reactions:

Good point.  No one tells players who care about the community to keep their class warfare political BS to themselves and throw the damn ball.
In regards to the All Lives Matter discussion, watch this video someone posted on Twitter, it's funny but also a lot of truth and kind of sad:

https://twitter.com/feelickss/status/1265830651086897154?s=21
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
(05-29-2020, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I almost wish famous people would remain silent instead of making meaningless "thoughts and prayers" type posts like this.

It is like they want to get credit for being on the right side without actually having to do anything.

I guess they feel like they are doing something just because they have lots of fans, and it is good to know he cares, but people with millions of dollars should do more than just make posts like this. Hopefully he will in the future. All of this is new to him. I am not even sure if he has signed his contract and gotten paid yet.

Woah I agree with 100%
(05-30-2020, 02:55 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: In regards to the All Lives Matter discussion, watch this video someone posted on Twitter, it's funny but also a lot of truth and kind of sad:

https://twitter.com/feelickss/status/1265830651086897154?s=21

Funny yes. Accurate.... not even close.

That is the issue. Others try and silence others when their opinions are not aligned.

I am an old guy, I urge you to never let anyone silence your freedom of speech. The sad thing to me about this incident, I have yet to meet anyone who was not horrified watching this video. I hope the side show stops of rioting, looting and burning down businesses. If people want to honor George, keep playing that video. It is clear what happened, it is also clear this is not a one off incident and bad police have to be shown the door so this crap does not happen. 

There should be zero tolerance for any violation of race relations in my opinion. Fire the police officers and remove their opportunity to use their power of the uniform to inflict pain and death on others whether they are black, white, asian, hispanic or any race.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Regarding all lives matter, the best comparison I've seen is the very popular slogan "Save the Rainforest."
The purpose of this slogan was not "**** all other forests, only help one kind."
It was "the Rainforest specifically is under attack. We need to protect it."

Just like saying black lives matter does not imply that only black lives matter. It's just that black lives are being systemically undervalued in this country (in a variety of ways that goes beyond just police shootings) and that needs to be addressed.

I don't think saying all lives matter is racist. But it's definitely completely missing the point.
(05-29-2020, 05:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never told Joe to shut up.  He is free to say whatever he wants.

Joe and I are on the same side with this issue.  So i don't have a problem with that either.

I just wish famous people did more with the platform they are given.  Just look at all the attention Kaepernick got, yet not one person can tell me a specific policy that he was supporting.  In stead it seems like too many famous people want to make posts but do nothing else.  Kaepernick actually donated over a million dollars to charities, and I hope Burrow does the same.  But these people could be so much more effective if they actually said what they wanted to happen.

The single biggest issue that needs to be corrected to start addressing the problems of police brutality is independent prosecutors to handle these cases.  And not just a prosecutor from an neighboring district.  There need to be truly independent from law enforcement in order to investigate and prosecute law enforcement officers.  It is just very frustrating for me to hear all these famous people making "thoughts and prayers" type posts without addressing anything of substance.

Like I said, many of them have donated a lot of money and started foundations to help these causes.  And I hope Joe does the same thing.  So I wasn't really bashing him in any way.

At least he is not selling his soul for cash like Michael Jordan did.

Are you serious? Kaepernick was protesting police brutality towards African-Americans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People usually only think a famous person should not speak on issues when they are oppose to their own views. Any inclination that they should keep quiet while the cashier at the auto parts store can say what he wants online all day long is foolish.
(05-30-2020, 08:58 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Funny yes.  Accurate.... not even close.

Ok, I'll take the bait, what part do you think is "not even close"?
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
(05-30-2020, 12:07 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The shitty part is when he will get special privelages in prison. Throw him in with everyone else in there and let’s see how long he lasts. Hopefully he gets treated like every other prisoner, but you know he will get special treatment because of his situation. Those 5 days wouldn’t mean much if he had to mingle with the rest of the scum.

I also, along with pretty much everyone else I know, believe the officer used excessive force and believe he'll be found guilty of murder in a court of law.  But what you're suggesting here is a death sentence without a trial, and that is not what we want to ever happen in America. 
(05-30-2020, 01:11 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I also, along with pretty much everyone else I know, believe the officer used excessive force and believe he'll be found guilty of murder in a court of law.  But what you're suggesting here is a death sentence without a trial, and that is not what we want to ever happen in America. 

More like what anyone else might have to go through. Rapist, child molesters, homosexuals all go to jail, but since he is charged with killing someone he should have special protection. If you are a Blood and kill a Crip, you don't get home detention because other Crips in jail might come for you. Maybe keep him on 23 hour lockdown, but charge of murder is a charge of murder. 
(05-29-2020, 11:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Looking at Burrow's twitter account and his recent retweets, this is obviously something that he feels very strongly about, so I'm sure we might hear more from him on this subject. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, including Joe. I think some people on Twitter are forgetting that...bashing Joe for sharing his opinion, while they're sharing their opinion on him sharing his opinion. Mellow

Bunch of selfish bastids man.

Entitlement.

But that is what I love about Joe, he had to work his ass off to prove the doubters wrong. He won't back down.

Cue Tom Petty. Mellow
(05-30-2020, 01:28 PM)Destro Wrote: More like what anyone else might have to go through. Rapist, child molesters, homosexuals all go to jail, but since he is charged with killing someone he should have special protection. If you are a Blood and kill a Crip, you don't get home detention because other Crips in jail might come for you. Maybe keep him on 23 hour lockdown, but charge of murder is a charge of murder. 

It is still a death sentence, everybody knows this guy would get knifed in general population.
(05-30-2020, 10:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is the issue. Others try and silence others when their opinions are not aligned.

I am an old guy, I urge you to never let anyone silence your freedom of speech. The sad thing to me about this incident, I have yet to meet anyone who was not horrified watching this video. I hope the side show stops of rioting, looting and burning down videos. If people want to honor George, keep playing that video. It is clear what happened, it is also clear this is not a one off incident and bad police have to be shown the door so this crap does not happen. 

There should be zero tolerance for any violation of race relations in my opinion. Fire the police officers and remove their opportunity to use their power of the uniform to inflict pain and death on others whether they are black, white, asian, hispanic or any race.

Couldn't agree more brother. This shit has got to stop. My dad is a retired 28 year veteran of the Sheriff's Dept and he has been saying this forever. Every time he sees one of these killings, and then sees the officer(s) get off with no jail time, it makes his blood boil. He always says that those actions by the bad cops and lack of action by those who are suppose to hold them accountable destroys any progress that's being attempted by people in law enforcement who actually want to change things for the better. 

My dad always referred to himself as a 'peace officer' and that was always his goal. He's not alone. There are plenty of officers out there that despise what happens in these incidents and want it to stop. The problem is there are still way too many officers out there who's first instinct is to escalate a situation and assert their power, instead of trying to minimize the need for force and combative tactics. Another big problem is when fellow officers turn a blind eye, or even defend, the officers in these incidents...even when they know their actions were wrong. 

For every one step good officers make in the right direction, these scumbag cops set them back 100 steps with these incidents. 
Such a tragic, horrific and crushing moment. The footage was chilling and it’s really made a mark on me. I’ve always found deaths of this nature awful, but something about what happened to George Floyd has really hammered this one home. This issue isn’t a political left vs right one, or at least it shouldn’t be. Everyone should be able to see that this is a problem, it isn’t going away, and it’s unacceptable.

Racism is a disease. It’s plagued mankind for far too long and it’s unfathomable that it’s still costing lives to this day. Don’t let anyone tell you this is only an American issue either, people around the world are discriminated against based on their race and it’s the single worst aspect of the human race. In the UK and Europe it’s alarmingly becoming more and more common for black players to experience racist chanting during games, such as the England players when they played Bulgaria a few months back. Things may have improved since the 70s and 80s when hooliganism and racism was the standard for a British football game, but the fact that incidents (no matter how isolated) are still occurring is a stain on the game and society in general.

To change the issue you need reform. And sadly reform somtimes needs an incident so abhorrent that it forces people to take notice. I’m a young white British male, who lives in a predominantly white region of England, and I will probably never have to fear for my own life because of those characteristics.

Like it or not, and I wish it wasn’t so, but the chances of achieving serious reform is made more likely through tragic incidents such as this, and prominent public figures coming forward to raise awareness. Well done Joe Burrow for standing up for what’s right.
[Image: giphy.gif]