Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Joe speaks out
(05-29-2020, 06:55 PM)Mer Wrote: Don't forget the media outlets are controlled/owned by the people that want their companies to get the most attention.
Having a nation of peaceful people that don't have anything to complain about won't get them the attention/money they desire. They will always advertise the things they think will get the most attention. Unfortunately anything race related in this country gets folks worked up. The more we pay attention the more they control us. It's sad any time someone passes unexpectedly especially if they're killed by those that are sworn to protect us. But a nation divided is easier to control. I truly hoped Obama would have helped race relations in our country by saying one statement, "All Lives Matter".  

I'm with Fred on this one. I wish athletes would just focus on their sport and if they want to get involved with civil rights that's great, but don't put yourself on a soapbox because you get paid to play a kids game.

I think people are upset because this situation is hardly unexpected at all.  I can only speak for myself, but when I heard "black man killed by police officer using excessive force" I was hardly blown away by it, and therein lies the issue.  For the most part I just shrug and/or make a cynical remark about all these things going on, but I do so with the knowledge that being able to not be affected by something is a privileged in itself.

Cops kill another black guy?  Ehh, I'm white but I'm Italian enough to look somewhat suspicious, but I'm ok.
Mass shooting?  It's rare to get killed that way, also I own no guns so if the government takes 'em all away I'm not affected.
20+ years of war?  Meh, I'm not in the Army...let 'em have it.
Terrorist attack?  Meh, I live in the middle of nowhere so that's not happening to me.
Border wall?  Nah, no rampaging Mexicans here, I don't want to pay for it.

As for Joe Burrow, we can tell him to keep his politics to himself all we want but it's possible the guy is legitimately upset people who share a demographic with his old teammates and the people he's coming to the NFL to work with and lead aren't always being treated like human beings.  Sure, I can just remove myself from the situation and "be good" and not make a fuss, but that's because I'm a nobody and no one is looking to me for any sort of hope or leadership.  It's the best and worst thing I've come to realize.

Ok, P&R this thing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-29-2020, 06:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's crazy man. Joe's taking so much shit on Twitter right now...but he's getting lots of support too, even from fans of other teams.

What is there to possibly give him shit over?

(05-29-2020, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What is there to possibly give him shit over?

On twitter it could be anything.

You allude something and they attack your ass.

They will make up in their own mind what you believe no matter how well said it is.

He said a good thing, he will get attacked for it which is why I initially agreed with Fred about not speaking out.
(05-29-2020, 07:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Sounds like you didn't get the job because they looked at you and the fact that you checked "other" on your application and decided that you lied on your application, and therefore didn't trust you haha.

Are you discriminating against me because I choose not to be categorized? Lol

Honestly though, I didn't feel right about checking that but my friend that wanted me to work there was very adamant that I wouldn't even get called for an interview if they knew I was white and he was one of the higher ups on the district that knew how it ran. Did I mention he is black?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

(05-29-2020, 08:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: On twitter it could be anything.

You allude something and they attack your ass.

They will make up in their own mind what you believe no matter how well said it is.

He said a good thing, he will get attacked for it which is why I initially agreed with Fred about not speaking out.

Stuff like that may keep wimpy losers like me from making a statement, but I don't expect Joe Burrow to keep his opinion to himself because people will do anything to find a reason to be upset with him.

Joe Burrow - Black people should be treated like human beings!
Random Nobody - I don't like you saying that!  RRRR!!!!
Joe Burrow - Oh, I'm sorry....I'll delete it, forget I said anything.  Oh, fiddlesticks I don't want to make anyone upset!
So glad he spoke out, he has the ability to say something and spread a positive message for change that is needed. Good for him for having the courage to do so! That's my QB!

::insert TO meme here::
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
I must say it is always interesting to see how people respond to this sort of thing. I think I see responses here fitting into 3 broad categories.

1. Good for Joe!
2. Joe should keep it to himself.
3. Why aren't we talking about white people?
(05-29-2020, 08:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Stuff like that may keep wimpy losers like me from making a statement, but I don't expect Joe Burrow to keep his opinion to himself because people will do anything to find a reason to be upset with him.

Joe Burrow - Black people should be treated like human beings!
Random Nobody - I don't like you saying that!  RRRR!!!!
Joe Burrow - Oh, I'm sorry....I'll delete it, forget I said anything.  Oh, fiddlesticks I don't want to make anyone upset!

Yeah, that don't sound like Joe lol  Hilarious
Ok. I'll say it.
ALL LIVES MATTER!!!!
Things will only change when we stop focusing on our differences regarding race, religion, and politics. There are good and bad of all kinds. As long as we keep judging whole groups based off of individuals actions things will never change.

We're all humans. God bless you all.

Who Dey!!!

(05-29-2020, 08:35 PM)Mer Wrote: Ok. I'll say it.
ALL LIVES MATTER!!!!
Things will only change when we stop focusing on our differences regarding race, religion, and politics. There are good and bad of all kinds. As long as we judge keep judging while groups based off of individuals actions things will never change.

Who Dey!!!

God bless you my friend. Will drink a brewski to that.Cheers
ALL LIVES MATTER!!!!
Things will only change when we stop focusing on our differences regarding race, religion, and politics. There are good and bad of all kinds. As long as we keep judging whole groups based off of individuals actions things will never change.

Who Dey!!!

We all bleed red!
Some of you fellas are gonna sour on ol Joe pretty quickly.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-29-2020, 08:21 PM)Mer Wrote: Are you discriminating against me because I choose not to be categorized? Lol

Honestly though, I didn't feel right about checking that but my friend that wanted me to work there was very adamant that I wouldn't even get called for an interview if they knew I was white and he was one of the higher ups on the district that knew how it ran. Did I mention he is black?

So let me get this straight --- your black friend, who worked for the company and knew how they did things, talked you into applying for a job that he knew you wouldn't get because you're a white guy? 

Are you sure he was your friend? Ninja LOL
(05-29-2020, 08:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So let me get this straight --- your black friend, who worked for the company and knew how they did things, talked you into applying for a job that he knew you wouldn't get because you're a white guy? 

Are you sure he was your friend? Ninja LOL

You have a good point. Hmm

(05-29-2020, 08:41 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We all bleed red!

It would be different if some of us bled green and hunted people like The Predator or somethin'.
(05-29-2020, 08:47 PM)jason Wrote: Some of you fellas are gonna sour on ol Joe pretty quickly.

Hopefully he comes in and helps the team start winning immediately. I like having someone that's not afraid to speak his mind but if it's not about football and he doesn't live up to expectations I believe you may be correct.

(05-29-2020, 08:47 PM)jason Wrote: Some of you fellas are gonna sour on ol Joe pretty quickly.

No offense to anyone in particular, but maybe with a certain part of the older crowd. I think Burrow will be very popular with younger fans. Even ones that weren’t previously Bengals fans.

(05-29-2020, 08:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: African Americans are statistically more likely to resist arrest.  Because of that, they are more likely to be slain while being taken into custody.

In '15, San Francisco did a study on those charged with resisting arrest for misdemeanor charges.  While African Americans made up only 6% of the population, they accounted for 45% of those cases.  White/Hispanics made up roughly half of the population and accounted for 39% of these cases.  Asians accounted for only 3% of those cases despite accounting for 1/3 of the population.

You basically have a self-perpetuating cycle.  Police tend to be more aggressive with African American suspects because they have a tendency to resist arrest.  Because of that, African American suspects wind up getting needlessly killed, which makes African Americans distrust the cops and more likely to resist.  It's easy to say that the cops shouldn't be more aggressive with African Americans, but 43% of the police officers murdered in the line of duty in '15 were murdered by African Americans. That number is also vastly out of whack compared to the 13% of the population African Americans represent. It's easy to say when it's not our asses out there.

Unfortunately, there are a large number of cultural and socio-economic factors that play into all of this.  There are no easy solutions.  

Shocked
(05-29-2020, 08:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It would be different if some of us bled green and hunted people like The Predator or somethin'.

I’ve always thought an alien invasion is exactly what this planet needs. Let’s unite against a common enemy lol
ALL LIVES MATTER!!!!

Who Dey!!!

I think the issue with the all lives matter mantra is that some feel it is taking away from the issue at hand.  Black guy is killed by the police, but yea come on ALL LIVES MATTER!  I can't disagree with that, but Monday was Memorial Day, a day when we honor those who died in service of this country and if someone said we don't need Memorial Day because ALL LIVES MATTER that wouldn't be a good look.

Just my 2 cents.