Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Joe speaks out
(05-29-2020, 05:38 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This last case was murder but in 2019 370 whites, 235 blacks and 158 Hispanics were killed by cops. More whites are killed every year and the media doesn’t report that but they report every black killed. The media seems to want a race war because they magnify one race that’s getting killed by cops. 

The media does not report every black person that is killed by the cops.  That is a complete lie.   The problem is not really the number of killings, instead it is the number of killings of unarmed men who are not a threat, or the killings that are never investigated properly by the authorities.  

The only reason white people do not raise as big of a fuss is because they have not been the victims of systemic racism in the criminal justice system.  With all the proof we have of racial profiling and racial inequality in the criminal justice system it is impossible to convince the African American population that they are being treated fairly by police.
(05-29-2020, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, just play football Joe.

It's possible this sentiment he is expressing is part of that "natural leader" personality of his that we are so enamored with.  For good or ill leaders speak up.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-29-2020, 05:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't want this to become a P&R subject, but you have to look at those numbers in context to each groups percentage of the population. Once you do that, you start to realize somethings not adding up.

You have to look at it as crime percentage not population percentage. I mean that’s if you’re searching for an accurate number. That’s the proper context.
(05-29-2020, 05:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The media does not report every black person that is killed by the cops.  That is a complete lie.   The problem is not really the number of killings, instead it is the number of killings of unarmed men who are not a threat, or the killings that are never investigated properly by the authorities.  

The only reason white people do not raise as big of a fuss is because they have not been the victims of systemic racism in the criminal justice system.  With all the proof we have of racial profiling and racial inequality in the criminal justice system it is impossible to convince the African American population that they are being treated fairly by police.

You also have to factor in resisting arrest. That is a huge factor in many cases. Bad cops aren’t bad only to blacks and not Asians or Hispanics or whites. I don’t buy that bs that 99% of cops are good cops either. There’s no line of work that 99% are good people. I’m done with the subject going forward. I’ll just say that you can’t be pc if you want to fix this problem. There are obviously racist cops out there but I doubt that they’re only racist to black people. Some white cops are racist to Asians or some black cops are racist to whites. Racism will unfortunately never die. Addressing any problem means honestly talking about every aspect and that’s why it will not get better. The pc parts are just off limits and I’m surprised that I haven’t been called a racist yet just for seeing all sides of this ugly equation. Anyways, I’m out of the conversation. Peace is the answer...
(05-29-2020, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I almost wish famous people would remain silent instead of making meaningless "thoughts and prayers" type posts like this.

It is like they want to get credit for being on the right side without actually having to do anything.

I guess they feel like they are doing something just because they have lots of fans, and it is good to know he cares, but people with millions of dollars should do more than just make posts like this.  Hopefully he will in the future.  All of this is new to him.  I am not even sure if he has signed his contract and gotten paid yet.

you know who will appreciate him speaking up...his teammates.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(05-29-2020, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I almost wish famous people would remain silent instead of making meaningless "thoughts and prayers" type posts like this.

It is like they want to get credit for being on the right side without actually having to do anything.

I guess they feel like they are doing something just because they have lots of fans, and it is good to know he cares, but people with millions of dollars should do more than just make posts like this.  Hopefully he will in the future.  All of this is new to him.  I am not even sure if he has signed his contract and gotten paid yet.

I strongly disagree.

I speak out and I impact maybe 100 people maximum, these great athletes millions.

Prayers are powerful. Anyone who watched the video who is not sickened, not deeply upset needs to think about civil rights and humanity.

TY Joe, this is not a race issue, it is another graphic example of what happens daily and has happened daily for too long. Yes, it is one powerful man who took an oath to protect and serve, who committed a vicious crime.  He is the minority among great law authority officers, but hopefully in the end it brings everyone together. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(05-29-2020, 05:38 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This last case was murder but in 2019 370 whites, 235 blacks and 158 Hispanics were killed by cops. More whites are killed every year and the media doesn’t report that but they report every black killed. The media seems to want a race war because they magnify one race that’s getting killed by cops. These cops deserve to be punished harshly in this latest case but burning down building isn’t the answer.

Your logic is warped. Based on your statistics deaths by cops are broken down as:

White 48.50%
Black 30.80%
Hispanic 20.70%

Meanwhile, the U.S population is broken down as:

White 60.40%
Black 12.10%
Hispanic 16.70%

It is the disproportionate number of blacks killed by police that is outrageous. The ratio of blacks killed by cops is 30 deaths per million while the ratio of whites killed by cops is 12 deaths per million.

Thank you Joe, and many others, for recognizing this is unacceptable in our society and the media should continue to put the spotlight on this issue.
IMO, this has no place in JN. You want to talk politics go to PnR and try.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-29-2020, 05:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I disagree brother. He's not a robot. He's a human being who happens to be passionate about things like feeding the hungry, equality and civil rights. Being a football player doesn't mean he isn't allowed to share his thoughts about those things.

All true, I think I was wrong in agreeing with Fred lol
Don't forget the media outlets are controlled/owned by the people that want their companies to get the most attention.
Having a nation of peaceful people that don't have anything to complain about won't get them the attention/money they desire. They will always advertise the things they think will get the most attention. Unfortunately anything race related in this country gets folks worked up. The more we pay attention the more they control us. It's sad any time someone passes unexpectedly especially if they're killed by those that are sworn to protect us. But a nation divided is easier to control. I truly hoped Obama would have helped race relations in our country by saying one statement, "All Lives Matter".

I'm with Fred on this one. I wish athletes would just focus on their sport and if they want to get involved with civil rights that's great, but don't put yourself on a soapbox because you get paid to play a kids game.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

(05-29-2020, 06:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, I think I was wrong in agreeing with Fred lol

It's crazy man. Joe's taking so much shit on Twitter right now...but he's getting lots of support too, even from fans of other teams.

While I agree with your basic premise, I still put the brunt of the "put your money where your mouth is" onus on the Hollywood Elites.  Let's see how many tens and hundreds of millions of $ they contribute to ease the strife of the Black community and to raise awareness of Police violence..

But as for Joe Burrow, great at least his heart is in the right place.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-29-2020, 06:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You also have to factor in resisting arrest. That is a huge factor in many cases. Bad cops aren’t bad only to blacks and not Asians or Hispanics or whites. I don’t buy that bs that 99% of cops are good cops either.  There’s no line of work that 99% are good people. I’m done with the subject going forward. I’ll just say that you can’t be pc if you want to fix this problem. There are obviously racist cops out there but I doubt that they’re only racist to black people. Some white cops are racist to Asians or some black cops are racist to whites. Racism will unfortunately never die. Addressing any problem means honestly talking about every aspect and that’s why it will not get better. The pc parts are just off limits and I’m surprised that I haven’t been called a racist yet just for seeing all sides of this ugly equation. Anyways, I’m out of the conversation. Peace is the answer...

You are correct. They're racist people everywhere against all races. Almost 20 years ago I moved back from Montana to Ohio. A guy that worked for the 5 Rivers Metro Parks was trying to recruit me to work for them because of my education and experience as a biological technician out west. The one thing he told me was, "When you fill out the application don't check Caucasian. Check other, because they won't even call you if they know you're white.".  He was black. When I walked in for the interview their was a white guy and a black guy doing the interview. I'm blonde hair and blue eyed. They both looked very confused at me, then each other, then the paper work in front of them, and then back at me. I knew at that moment I wasn't getting the job. Unfortunately the guy that tried to recruit me explained that at that park district they hired to fill quotas not qualified people. And by the way, he was the manager of one of their largest parks. 

The one good thing that came out of it is when my non-white students ask if I know what it's like to be discriminated against I can honestly look at them and say yes.

I'm actually glad they didn't hire me though because I'd have never realized my true passion which is teaching. 

(05-29-2020, 07:17 PM)Mer Wrote: You are correct. They're racist people everywhere against all races. Almost 20 years ago I moved back from Montana to Ohio. A guy that worked for the 5 Rivers Metro Parks was trying to recruit me to work for them because of my education and experience as a biological technician out west. The one thing he told me was, "When you fill out the application don't check Caucasian. Check other, because they won't even call you if they know you're white.".  He was black. When I walked in for the interview their was a white guy and a black guy doing the interview. I'm blonde hair and blue eyed. They both looked very confused at me, then each other, then the paper work in front of them, and then back at me. I knew at that moment I wasn't getting the job. Unfortunately the guy that tried to recruit me explained that at that park district they hired to fill quotas not qualified people. And by the way, he was the manager of one of their largest parks. 

The one good thing that came out of it is when my non-white students ask if I know what it's like to be discriminated against I can honestly look at them and say yes.

I'm actually glad they didn't hire me though because I'd have never realized my true passion which is teaching. 

You are comparing one story from 20 years ago to 400 years of racism. Just wild. And by your own description that one story is why you can tell your students you've been discriminated against. It's not every day on a systemic basis. I hope it's biology or some type of science you teach, because you have a severe lack of understanding of the social sciences (which is what I teach). 
(05-29-2020, 06:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's crazy man. Joe's taking so much shit on Twitter right now...but he's getting lots of support too, even from fans of other teams.

This is why I don't go on twitter except to read updates about football.

Even saying something like Joe did which should be completely understandable and not extreme at all can be twisted.
(05-29-2020, 07:32 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: You are comparing one story from 20 years ago to 400 years of racism. Just wild. And by your own description that one story is why you can tell your students you've been discriminated against. It's not every day on a systemic basis. I hope it's biology or some type of science you teach, because you have a severe lack of understanding of the social sciences (which is what I teach). 

And you're pretty presumptuous if you think that's my only example. There are many more I've faced as a landlord, white teacher in a mostly black district, and as a Christian that is a science teacher.

(05-29-2020, 06:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO, this has no place in JN. You want to talk politics go to PnR and try.

Well I tried:

FWIW: Fred is sitting you up. He's going to get everyone to agree that it's fine for an athlete to voice his/her opinion on societal issues then "BAM"

hit you with the Kaepernick. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Nice try Bfine. I will just say that that cop Chauvin needs to go to jail for murder and the people need to stop rioting.

That is all, I understand protesting but rioting is not the answer at all.

Floyd would not like what is going on pretty sure, being used as an excuse to loot and attack cops.

One evil bastid doesn't mean all of them are bad.

That stupid cop was the topper from all this other crap that has been going on.

That one woman in the park was insane man.
(05-29-2020, 07:17 PM)Mer Wrote: You are correct. They're racist people everywhere against all races. Almost 20 years ago I moved back from Montana to Ohio. A guy that worked for the 5 Rivers Metro Parks was trying to recruit me to work for them because of my education and experience as a biological technician out west. The one thing he told me was, "When you fill out the application don't check Caucasian. Check other, because they won't even call you if they know you're white.".  He was black. When I walked in for the interview their was a white guy and a black guy doing the interview. I'm blonde hair and blue eyed. They both looked very confused at me, then each other, then the paper work in front of them, and then back at me. I knew at that moment I wasn't getting the job. Unfortunately the guy that tried to recruit me explained that at that park district they hired to fill quotas not qualified people. And by the way, he was the manager of one of their largest parks. 

Sounds like you didn't get the job because they looked at you and the fact that you checked "other" on your application and decided that you lied on your application, and therefore didn't trust you haha.
(05-29-2020, 04:49 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Love your profile picture. Getting my 2002 SI Cover signed next week by Maurice.

Nice.  Looks like we're in good hands with Day moving forward. O H...