Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Joe speaks out
(05-29-2020, 09:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the issue with the all lives matter mantra is that some feel it is taking away from the issue at hand.  Black guy is killed by the police, but yea come on ALL LIVES MATTER!  I can't disagree with that, but Monday was Memorial Day, a day when we honor those who died in service of this country and if someone said we don't need Memorial Day because ALL LIVES MATTER that wouldn't be a good look.

Just my 2 cents.  

I've actually been called racist for saying,"All Lives Matter". Ironic, huh?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

(05-29-2020, 09:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ve always thought an alien invasion is exactly what this planet needs. Let’s unite against a common enemy lol

Adrien Veidt, is that you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(05-29-2020, 09:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ve always thought an alien invasion is exactly what this planet needs. Let’s unite against a common enemy lol

Jay Billington Bulworth had the perfect solution:

'All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep f****n' everybody 'til they're all the same color.'

Ninja
(05-29-2020, 04:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You make your opinions known on political issues more than most.  Often you'll even derail threads that are supposed to be football related by getting caught up in debates about things like abortion.

One could easily argue your opinions shared are meaningless too.  I mean, what are you actually doing when you're in the PR forum?  Are you making a diifference?  Or are engaging in debate simply for the love of the game, and/or to be right/win fake internet points?

Joe Burrow is entitled to his opinions as much as you are.  The fact he chose to share them should be something you greatly relate to.  To questions his motives, or to deem the result of his sharing as meaningless, seems incredibly hypocritical.

I'm so very tired of his crud
(05-29-2020, 09:22 PM)Mer Wrote: I've actually been called racist for saying,"All Lives Matter". Ironic, huh?

It depends on the context.  The fact that all lives matter was coined in response to black lives matter (as far as I know) could be seen as a means to divert attention from that cause.

Like I said, if someone is upset on Memorial Day because they know someone who died in combat I wouldn't say to them "All lives matter" because it makes it sound like you are saying that their specific mention or issue isn't, for lack of a better term, special.
(05-29-2020, 10:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It depends on the context.  The fact that all lives matter was coined in response to black lives matter (as far as I know) could be seen as a means to divert attention from that cause.

Like I said, if someone is upset on Memorial Day because they know someone who died in combat I wouldn't say to them "All lives matter" because it makes it sound like you are saying that their specific mention or issue isn't, for lack of a better term, special.

I was just talking to my wife about this very thing. Imagine being a foreigner with limited English speaking knowledge

Someone tells you black lives matter and you’re like “white, black, Hispanic, Asian, all lives matter.”

YUo RAciSt PeEcE oF SHiT!!!!
(05-29-2020, 10:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It depends on the context.  The fact that all lives matter was coined in response to black lives matter (as far as I know) could be seen as a means to divert attention from that cause.

I think the point is we need to stop focusing on race and focus more on the problem. In this case police brutality. Whether if the poor victim was asian, Hispanic, black, white or any mix at all shouldn't matter. That also goes for the police officers involved. The issue is when you start a slogan for any individual group that started mainly because they feel oppressed by another group it's going to ruffle some feathers. I respect your opinion about our veterans. I'm thankful for their sacrifices everyday, but there are many races in our military so I think to say what you did is completely taking it out of context.

With that said, because of those veterans as of now we still live in a free nation so your entitled to speak your mind and I respect you for that.

Richard Sherman stood by saying 'All Lives Matter' few years back, and Hillary Clinton used that slogan as well with some backlash.

I could be wrong, but it gained some ground back in 2015 when those 5 Dallas officers were ambushed and murdered as well.

But overall yeah, it was to counter the BLM slogan, dont really know by whom tho.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

These type of threads usually don't end well

Right. If I see like a rally or project who's motto is say 'Homeless Veteran Lives Matter' -- I'm not gonna gone go up to them and say 'Hey, don't you know that all lives matter?' Of course all lives matter, but they're wanting to put a spotlight on and advocate for a particular segment of society that is very important to them and they think needs some much needed help.
(05-29-2020, 10:30 PM)Mer Wrote: I think the point is we need to stop focusing on race and focus more on the problem. In this case police brutality. Whether if the poor victim was asian, Hispanic, black, white or any mix at all shouldn't matter. That also goes for the police officers involved. The issue is when you start a slogan for any individual group that started mainly because they feel oppressed by another group it's going to ruffle some feathers. I respect your opinion about our veterans. I'm thankful for their sacrifices everyday, but there are many races in our military so I think to say what you did is completely taking it out of context.

With that said, because of those veterans as of now we still live in a free nation so your entitled to speak your mind and I respect you for that.

Again, your response that the race of the person killed in this case could be seen as off-putting to some people.  I'm not black, I'm not a veteran, I'm not much of anything so I have the luxury of not being upset by a lot of things but I also try to not tell people what should and should not matter to them.

The fact that the man was black matters to a lot of people, and if you want to tell them that you disagree and his race isn't important than you are opening what could be seen as a contentious dialog.  That's all.  I don't tell black people that all lives matter any more than I tell veterans that kneeling is no big deal.  It's not for me to decide, and I'm free to voice my view but they're free to not like that, too.

So I'm saying that "ALL LIVES MATTER" might not be the olive branch people think it is.
(05-29-2020, 10:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Right. If I see a like a rally or project who's motto is say 'Homeless Veteran Lives Matter' -- I'm not gonna gone go up to them and say 'Hey, don't you know that all lives matter?' Of course all lives matter, but they're wanting to put a spotlight on and advocate for a particular segment of society that is very important to them and they think needs some much needed help.

Exactly.  It's like if someone points out that homelessness and suicide among veterans is tragically high.  I'm sure some people say "Well, yea but all homelessness and suicide is bad, why aren't you helping everyone?"  

Or on a more mundane note it's the whole thing where you say that you're tired and someone immediately says "You're tired?!  I worked a full week and have 16 kids and blah blah blah."  
Unfortunately, I've seen first hand how these slogans that only include individuals from a certain race affect young people. For some it empowers them. For others it lowers their self esteem. Sadly it certainly doesn't unite groups in positive ways. It only makes the void wider between groups. As adults, and especially as a teacher, we need to be careful what we're teaching the next generation. It's a slippery slope if
we're not careful. Is it racist to have a black history month, Asian/Pacific American history month and Hispanic history month, but no Caucasian history month? BET but no WET or HET? Those are a few of the questions my students have asked me. What about native Americans? Oh, wait that's in November. I just wish we could all be Americans but unfortunately now you have a group of people that are ashamed of our nation and only want to tear it down.

There is value in everyone's life, not just people of certain races which is what I believe the All Lives Matter slogan is about. At least that's why I say it. The things we instill in our youth will become our future. One's tongue could be our greatest asset or our worst enemy.

God bless and good night.

(05-29-2020, 11:11 PM)Mer Wrote:  As adults, and especially as a teacher, we need to be careful what we're teaching the next generation.

We need to be careful what we're teaching to all generations.
Black lives do matter. Seems to me that too many people only believe that when they're the victim of white cops. Black lives don't seem to matter to lots of urban gang members. I think that's the rub many people have- only interracial confrontations cause such outrage.
Looking at Burrow's twitter account and his recent retweets, this is obviously something that he feels very strongly about, so I'm sure we might hear more from him on this subject. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, including Joe. I think some people on Twitter are forgetting that...bashing Joe for sharing his opinion, while they're sharing their opinion on him sharing his opinion. Mellow
(05-29-2020, 11:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Looking at Burrow's twitter account and his recent retweets, this is obviously something that he feels very strongly about, so I'm sure we might hear more from him on this subject. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, including Joe. I think some people on Twitter are forgetting that...bashing Joe for sharing his opinion, while they're sharing their opinion on him sharing his opinion. Mellow

What's Baker Mayfield tweeting about?  Maybe he's more their speed.
(05-29-2020, 11:11 PM)Mer Wrote: Unfortunately, I've seen first hand how these slogans that only include individuals from a certain race affect young people. For some it empowers them. For others it lowers their self esteem. Sadly it certainly doesn't unite groups in positive ways. It only makes the void wider between groups. As adults, and especially as a teacher, we need to be careful what we're teaching the next generation. It's a slippery slope if
we're not careful. Is it racist to have a black history month, Asian/Pacific American history month and Hispanic history month, but no Caucasian history month? BET but no WET or HET? Those are a few of the questions my students have asked me. What about native Americans? Oh, wait that's in November. I just wish we could all be Americans but unfortunately now you have a group of people that are ashamed of our nation and only want to tear it down.

There is value in everyone's life, not just people of certain races which is what I believe the All Lives Matter slogan is about. At least that's why I say it. The things we instill in our youth will become our future. One's tongue could be our greatest asset or our worst enemy.

God bless and good night.

Earlier you posted that you've been called racist for sayin' All Lives Matter". I don't think there's anything racist about that slogan, but it's tone deaf as ****. Furthermore... I don't think all lives matter. Has anyone shed a tear over that Jihadi John dude that was lopping off heads in ISIS propaganda videos? I haven't. The same goes for any ISIS member, people who hurt children, and a whole boatload of other scallywags...

Saying all lives matter as a response to a certain topic is exactly what Joe Burrow was talking about in that tweet. They aren't being heard on this topic. It should be understood that life is precious, but a certain segment of our society repeatedly watches as this kind of thing happens. Did that "officer" really get to go home for 5 days after murdering someone on camera? He did... That's why I can understand how they feel like they have to shout that their lives matter.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-30-2020, 12:00 AM)jason Wrote: Earlier you posted that you've been called racist for sayin' All Lives Matter". I don't think there's anything racist about that slogan, but it's tone deaf as ****. Furthermore... I don't think all lives matter. Has anyone shed a tear over that Jihadi John dude that was lopping off heads in ISIS propaganda videos? I haven't. The same goes for any ISIS member, people who hurt children, and a whole boatload of other scallywags...

Saying all lives matter as a response to a certain topic is exactly what Joe Burrow was talking about in that tweet. They aren't being heard on this topic. It should be understood that life is precious, but a certain segment of our society repeatedly watches as this kind of thing happens. Did that "officer" really get to go home for 5 days after murdering someone on camera? He did... That's why I can understand how they feel like they have to shout that their lives matter.

The shitty part is when he will get special privelages in prison. Throw him in with everyone else in there and let’s see how long he lasts. Hopefully he gets treated like every other prisoner, but you know he will get special treatment because of his situation. Those 5 days wouldn’t mean much if he had to mingle with the rest of the scum.
(05-30-2020, 12:00 AM)jason Wrote: Earlier you posted that you've been called racist for sayin' All Lives Matter". I don't think there's anything racist about that slogan, but it's tone deaf as ****. Furthermore... I don't think all lives matter. Has anyone shed a tear over that Jihadi John dude that was lopping off heads in ISIS propaganda videos? I haven't. The same goes for any ISIS member, people who hurt children, and a whole boatload of other scallywags...

He's very likely out on bail until his trial now.  If they had arrested him 4-5 days ago, he would have very likely made bail then and still would have been out of jail awaiting trial.  I realize it's a slam dunk conviction, but voices aren't being heard because a murderer is getting his due process?