Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase (/Thread-Report-Burrow-pushing-for-Bengals-to-draft-Chase)

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Socal Bengals fan - 03-29-2021

Sewell impacts the run game n pass game . If the Bengals pass on him ,they need to draft nothing but oline the rest of the draft . This is their chance to draft the next, Pace , Ogden, Munoz don't blow it for a WR !,

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Gamma Ray Tan - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 02:52 PM)Destro Wrote: Good teams don't draft in the top 10/5/1 for years. We are not a good team. If the BPA is a QB do we draft one? How did we end up with John Ross? You don't reach, but BPA is when you have wants, not needs. 

Sewell likely won't be Willie Anderson 2.0, but that is a position group that has struggled for years and has to be addressed. Receivers were not the worst position group on the team. They are not the group that have been ranked towards the bottom of the league again and again. These "weapons" don't help the run game, which if it remains poor, is dangerous for the QB. If he has no time to drop back and have receivers run routes, that weapon means nothing. They can double our "best receiver" because they can get pressure/sacks with the front four against our poor O-line. 

The settling for lower ranked O-line in later rounds to get another receiver who won't finish his route before the whistle blows is crazy. Burrow is a massive investment for the team and having the best protection for him is important. Otherwise, we are likely looing at the back-up QB again. 

Yep.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Murdock2420 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 02:52 PM)Destro Wrote: Good teams don't draft in the top 10/5/1 for years. We are not a good team. If the BPA is a QB do we draft one? How did we end up with John Ross? You don't reach, but BPA is when you have wants, not needs. 

Sewell likely won't be Willie Anderson 2.0, but that is a position group that has struggled for years and has to be addressed. Receivers were not the worst position group on the team. They are not the group that have been ranked towards the bottom of the league again and again. These "weapons" don't help the run game, which if it remains poor, is dangerous for the QB. If he has no time to drop back and have receivers run routes, that weapon means nothing. They can double our "best receiver" because they can get pressure/sacks with the front four against our poor O-line. 

The settling for lower ranked O-line in later rounds to get another receiver who won't finish his route before the whistle blows is crazy. Burrow is a massive investment for the team and having the best protection for him is important. Otherwise, we are likely looing at the back-up QB again. 

All of this, just absolutely all of this.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Bengalholic - 03-29-2021

I'm a huge fan of both Chase and Sewell, and think the Bengals are in a great situation no matter which one they take.

If they land Chase and say Leatherwood...that's a pretty damn impressive haul. If they take Sewell, and can get someone like Dyami Brown...I'll be pretty stoked as well. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Murdock2420 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 03:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm a huge fan of both Chase and Sewell, and think the Bengals are in a great situation no matter which one they take.

If they land Chase and say Leatherwood...that's a pretty damn impressive haul. If they take Sewell, and can get someone like Dyami Brown...I'll be pretty stoked as well. 

I really like Brown, another guy I'd be stoked about would be if they took Sewell and then took Marshall Jr in round 2. Both would be a nice addition to the WR room.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - coachmcneil71 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 01:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And Chase isn't the only WR.

At least if they were passing on the best OL in the draft for Pitts they'd be getting a unique talent. 

This is a bad look if the best OL is on the board and they pass. Especially when they go DE in round 2.

I like all three; Pitts,Chase, and Sewell. That said, Chase is the best WR available. He was the best WR on a historic LSU Championship team. He won the Belitnikoff award in 2019. He already has an excellent rapport with JB.

We can get a stud O-lineman in the second. A stud!! Barring this NE scuttlebutt, I think it's close to a done deal. 
Chase was the best WR on a team that included Justin Jefferson. Think about it for a moment? We're going to have a much improved line this season. Pollack will see to that.

(03-29-2021, 04:03 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I like all three; Pitts,Chase, and Sewell. That said, Chase is the best WR available. He was the best WR on a historic LSU Championship team. He won the Belitnikoff award in 2019. He already has an excellent rapport with JB.

We can get a stud O-lineman in the second. A stud!! Barring this NE scuttlebutt, I think it's close to a done deal. 
Chase was the best WR on a team that included Justin Jefferson. Think about it for a moment? We're going to have a much improved line this season. Pollack will see to that.

Why does everyone keep saying that?

His line last season wasn't very good. I mentioned in another thread, his awesome O-line in Dallas, had 4 1st rounders on it. Is he an upgrade over Turner, absolutely. But, he isn't some magical O-line whisperer that makes bad players good.

Stud O-lineman in the 2nd? After the top three Sewell, Slater and possibly Darrisaw there are good O-lineman, but not near the talent and ability of the top 3.

The name I hear a lot around here is Leatherwood:

Negatives: Must improve his overall strength at the point. Rarely finishes blocks. Does not always play with a nasty attitude.

Senior Bowl Performance

Alex Leatherwood was one of the higher-rated players at the 2021 Reese’s Senior Bowl. However, he wasn’t as consistent as his high billing demanded. Leatherwood had some good reps, courtesy of his overwhelming length and functional power. That said, he struggled to deal with quick rushers around the edge at times, and his one-on-one losses might have exposed a lack of elite raw power. Leatherwood’s power is more a product of his length, which serves as an effective conduit. That said, he can still get stronger.

Leatherwood is still a solid prospect with a relatively high range, but the Senior Bowl helped quantify his limitations, and strengthened the calls to move him to guard.

That is a huge drop-off from the top 3, I'm so tired of having to settle for guys on the line with "limitations" when you have the chance to take a guy that has such a high ceiling in Sewell or the versatile and finished product of Slater.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Bengalholic - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 03:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I really like Brown, another guy I'd be stoked about would be if they took Sewell and then took Marshall Jr in round 2. Both would be a nice addition to the WR room.

Personally, I don't think Marshall makes it to 38.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - jj22 - 03-29-2021

I still think the run on olineman from oline desperate teams at the end of the 1st is going to take any prospect we had on the radar in the 2nd. So the question is is Chase worth they gamble of not getting to the oline until the 3rd round?

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is a huge drop-off from the top 3, I'm so tired of having to settle for guys on the line with "limitations" when you have the chance to take a guy that has such a high ceiling in Sewell or the versatile and finished product of Slater.

Depends who you ask. Daniel Jeremiah for example doesn’t even have Darrisaw in his top 3 OT’s.

(03-29-2021, 04:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Depends who you ask. Daniel Jeremiah for example doesn’t even have Darrisaw in his top 3 OT’s.

So it is only a true top 2 then.

Which makes it even worse to skip on the BPA and at a position of need. 

Is what it is though.

They'll draft Chase, run out a rag tag O-line again, and people who were all in on Chase will spend the season blaming coaching and the poor O-line play as the losses pile up again, not once taking the moment to realize that they were completely wrong on what needed to be addressed and the team gave them exactly what they were asking for.

And then next season, we can do this dance again in the draft and spend the top 5 to top 10 pick we have on the flashy TE, or Edge Rusher or CB that we just have to have.

Someday Tobin has to retire and Mike Brown has to die... maybe then we'll build a team the right way.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - yang - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So it is only a true top 2 then.

Is what it is though.

They'll draft Chase, run out a rag tag O-line again, and people who were all in on Chase will spend the season blaming coaching and the poor O-line play as the losses pile up again, not once taking the moment to realize that they were completely wrong on what needed to be addressed and the team gave them exactly what they were asking for.

And then next season, we can do this dance again in the draft and spend the top 5 to top 10 pick we have on the flashy TE, or Edge Rusher or CB that we just have to have.

Someday Tobin has to retire and Mike Brown has to die... maybe then we'll build a team the right way.

Pro Sewell peeps always tend to overlook or downplay the effect Chase will have on the offense.  He does improve Boyd and Higgins.  We were one of the worst teams (PFF) at WR separation.  Chase him an open target to release the ball quicker.  He gives him a reciever he has a connection with when he has to scramble.  It opens up the run game by having a good passing attack.  

And we can get an OT i the 2nd like eichenburg and starting guard in the 3rd or 4th 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 12:43 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yup, goes against everything I believe but I’m on board if it’s what Joe wants. He knows what it’s like playing behind this o line and he knows what it’s like throwing to Chase. If he says Chase is the pick there then I’m on board. Would feel better if we could sign another guard who can come in and start right away but there’s always round 2 I guess.

My thoughts as well. If Joe wants Chase I am more then happy with the pick.

We can get a damn good Guard in the 2nd and a talented OT like Spencer Brown in the 3rd or 4th to learn behind Reiff.

Extend Reiff if he plays good this season...

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So it is only a true top 2 then.

Is what it is though.

Well, the top two OT’s taken last year were Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Willis. The former wasn’t great and the latter was just ok.

The next two taken? Mekhi Becton and Tristan Wirfs. Both absolute studs. Taking the first or even second OT doesn’t guarantee he’ll be the best.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Frank Booth - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:44 PM)yang Wrote: Pro Sewell peeps always tend to overlook or downplay the effect Chase will have on the offense.  He does improve Boyd and Higgins.  We were one of the worst teams (PFF) at WR separation.  Chase him an open target to release the ball quicker.  He gives him a reciever he has a connection with when he has to scramble.  It opens up the run game by having a good passing attack.  

And we can get an OT i the 2nd like eichenburg and starting guard in the 3rd or 4th 

PFF SAYS PFF SAYS

Kenny Golloday doesnt get much seperation. Anquan Boldin didnt get much seperation.

Your point?

Burrow has elite talent. We're not dealing with a Tannehill or Dalton type anymore

Bengals dont need a new number 1 receiver. 

(03-29-2021, 04:44 PM)yang Wrote: Pro Sewell peeps always tend to overlook or downplay the effect Chase will have on the offense.  He does improve Boyd and Higgins.  We were one of the worst teams (PFF) at WR separation.  Chase him an open target to release the ball quicker.  He gives him a reciever he has a connection with when he has to scramble.  It opens up the run game by having a good passing attack.  

And pro Chase peeps downplay the importance of having an NFL caliber O-line....

Just think of Calvin Johnson. The most dominant WR in the NFL, went to a poorly run team that didn't have a line built or a good defense. He won... nothing.

Again... this isn't rocket science, it's just proven time and time again by good NFL teams. You build up your lines on both side and then start to plug in pieces around it. Bad teams (Raiders, Lions) keep trying to add skill position players when they have giant holes elsewhere.

Good teams, fix other weaknesses then add high level talents. We have holes at G, C, and toss in tackle after this season. We have 2 edge rushers, need more. We have 1 maybe two good defensive interior guys, again we need more. We have a head coach in way over his head.

We are at least another year away from being competitive at all. So, why not spend the season with a good line and protect Burrow? Probably still at best a 6 or 7 win team, but Burrow takes less hits and has a longer career. Chase isn't going to keep the interior offensive line from being pushed back at the snap.

(03-29-2021, 04:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, the top two OT’s taken last year were Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Willis. The former wasn’t great and the latter was just ok.

The next two taken? Mekhi Becton and Tristan Wirfs. Both absolute studs. Taking the first or even second OT doesn’t guarantee he’ll be the best.

And do the same with WR.... Justin Jefferson wasn't the first taken and was far and away the best.

Most years the 1st WR ends up not being the best one in the draft.

So... again.. we circle back to the same point of what does the team need more.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, the top two OT’s taken last year were Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Willis. The former wasn’t great and the latter was just ok.

Yep, happens every year and still people are acting like Sewell is a can't miss pick. I like Sewell and would be more than happy 
if we pick him but if we take Pitts or Chase I am just as happy with the depth at Tackle in this Draft. Eichenberg, Cosmi, Jenkins
are just a few of the Tackles that should be available in the 2nd or even 3rd. Meinerz, Carman, Humphrey are some good IOL 
that should also be around.

I am not going to panic if they take Chase cause Burrow wants him. Don't understand this thinking.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 03-29-2021

How many Championship teams had a poor o-line?

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Frank Booth - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:02 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: How many Championship teams had a poor o-line?

very few

but I suppose somebody will come with a PFF stat saying that the 2015 broncos line was below average or something

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: very few

but I suppose somebody will come with a PFF stat saying that the 2015 broncos line was below average or something

LOL

It was though Wink