Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
Reply/Quote
Not really surprising. Burrow ran a 3 WR offense in college and knows all we really got is Tee and Tyler.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Writing is on the wall
Reply/Quote
I'd personally be happy with Chase in round 1.  When people in the business compare you to Torry Holt, or say that your career could play out like that of a faster Anquan Boldin, that's some pretty high praise.  

Imagine if all 32 teams had a re-draft.  The first team on the clock gets to pick any two players who are currently in the NFL or in the 2021 draft class.  Would anyone fault the first team on the clock for starting their franchise off with Burrow and Chase?

OR, imagine if Reiff and Spain are going to overachieve.  Say the FO hit two home runs and they work out as good starters for the next few seasons(neither are all that old for their respective positions, both have had good seasons in the league).  IF events unfold like that, then you only need one starting OG and some backups in order to have an adequate line.  With Pollack instead of Turner that wouldn't be the most shocking thing to ever happen in the football world.

I like Sewell too, he'd be a great pick, but we should remember that the guy is only 20 years old with very limited experience.  There's no such thing as a perfect prospect or a sure thing.  You could argue that Chase's floor might actually be higher than Sewell's because he and Jefferson already looked like pros at LSU.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:48 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'd personally be happy with Chase in round 1.  When people in the business compare you to Torry Holt, or say that your career could play out like that of a faster Anquan Boldin, that's some pretty high praise.  

Imagine if all 32 teams had a re-draft.  The first team on the clock gets to pick any two players who are currently in the NFL or in the 2021 draft class.  Would anyone fault the first team on the clock for starting their franchise off with Burrow and Chase?

OR, imagine if Reiff and Spain are going to overachieve.  Say the FO hit two home runs and they work out as good starters for the next few seasons(neither are all that old for their respective positions, both have had good seasons in the league).  IF events unfold like that, then you only need one starting OG and some backups in order to have an adequate line.  With Pollack instead of Turner that wouldn't be the most shocking thing to ever happen in the football world.

I like Sewell too, he'd be a great pick, but we should remember that the guy is only 20 years old with very limited experience.  There's no such thing as a perfect prospect or a sure thing.  You could argue that Chase's floor might actually be higher than Sewell's because he and Jefferson already looked like pros at LSU.
This ... Would much rather have a more polished player with the first round pick of the draft. How many first rounds picks do we have sit out the first year before we get a clue.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:36 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: This ... Would much rather have a more polished player with the first round pick of the draft. How many first rounds picks do we have sit out the first year before we get a clue.

Our 1st round picks have missed time due to injuries, not their level of play. A prospect can be the most polished and pro ready player in the world, injuries still happen.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our 1st round picks have missed time due to injuries, not their level of play. A prospect can be the most polished and pro ready player in the world, injuries still happen.

From what I read about him he has a lot to fix do not think a guy with that much to fix and a questionable work ethic should be picked at 5th over all.The questionable work ethic comes from the scouts as the rest I read about the guy not to mention he took last year off so he has not been on a football field in over a year. Could get a tackle in the second round that could get in the line up quicker. He might start as a guard this year but think he needs more time then a year to start a tackle. When you can get a guy in the 2nd round at tackle and get your QB guy at pick 5 that seems like the better route to take. IMO
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 04:44 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: From what I read about him he has a lot to fix do not think a guy with that much to fix and a questionable work ethic should be picked at 5th over all.The questionable work ethic comes from the scouts as the rest I read about the guy not to mention he took last year off so he has not been on a football field in over a year. Could get a tackle in the second round that could get in the line up quicker. He might start as a guard this year but think he needs more time then a year to start a tackle. When you can get a guy in the 2nd round at tackle and get your QB guy at pick 5 that seems like the better route to take. IMO

Who exactly is the source of “questionable work ethic” claims? I’ve been following Sewell closely since 2019 and have never seen or heard that suggested.

@Killer Goose can probably dispel that as well, as he’s a big Oregon fan.

Reply/Quote
Also, no OT we draft is staring this season. Those spots are locked up by Jonah and Reiff. There’s nothing wrong with playing G for a year though.

Reply/Quote
We also run a 3WR set most of the time and we can not fix that problem in a FA. So if we get a WR in the draft why not get the best. Tee is a great WR for not having a full offseason to prepare. We all know Boyd is really good in the slot and tough as T.J. Housh and that is saying a lot. I just think Chase could complete the offense mindset of what the coach is trying to turn our team into a pass heavy team. With the QB we got and those 3 at WR we could give teams a rough time trying to cover all 3.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who exactly is the source of “questionable work ethic” claims? I’ve been following Sewell closely since 2019 and have never seen or heard that suggested.

@Killer Goose can probably dispel that as well, as he’s a big Oregon fan.

prospect?.Person?.DisplayName Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:23 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: prospect?.Person?.DisplayName Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Meh.

A single line in his weaknesses section is hardly enough to consider it an issue.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Meh.

A single line in his weaknesses section is hardly enough to consider it an issue.

That is the thing though he has 11lines in his weakness section and a few are building upper body up and getting outside hand stronger. Along with not clinching and grabbing the player when engaged all those are workout issues and the guy has a questionable work ethic so is he going to put the work in to improve? I just think its a gamble at the 5th pick and would rather go with more of a sure thing.
Reply/Quote
Burrow has his timing down with Chase. Burrow could probably roll out of bed half asleep at hit him with a TD pass. After years together at LSU. Burrow knows Chase's speed. moves, timing. Don Meredith said it takes time for an NFL QB to get the timing of a new WR. So the upside to Chase is THE TIMING is already there between Burrow to Chase. AND YES, with AJ Green and Ross gone, we need a Top Notch WR to add to Boyd and Higgins. Mixon, Boyd and Higgins by themselves would be too easy for NFL Defenses to shut down. a Running Back and 2 WR's is too High School or College for the NFL, and NFL Defenses will make Bengals lucky to win 4 games.

If not Chase, then the other 2 out of the SEC, the Florida TE, or the Alabama Heisman WR Smith who ripped Ohio State to shreds. One of the 3 elite SEC pass catchers at Top of The Draft. Burrow already has THE TIMING down to Chase knowing his every move, and that should give immediate success to the combo in 2021 and free up Mixon, Boyd and Higgins for more open lanes also, and more wins in 2021.

Yes, this would mean no Sewell, but Bengals have their 2 starting Tackles for 2021 in Williams and Reiff. Signing Reiff makes drafting Chase more of an option to get this awful offense moving. Lets face it, Green and Ross weren't giving Bengals much the last few years. Burrow to Chase could get a lot more out of Mixon, Boyd and Higgins as Defenses can't double team all of them.

If Burrow wants his LSU pass catching target, and he is still there at 5, Take Him....That may be the problem, Chase may be gone by 5. ...Only reason I can see not taking him.

Oh, just go on YouTube and watch Chase highlight video of Burrow to Chase, Burrow to Chase, Burrow to Chase. Touchdowns, Championship. What's not to like.

and SEC....The SEC is a good place to draft from in 2021, even more than most years.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-rankings

That site says the top 10 OT could go in the first 40 picks so you can get your guy at the top of the second round and still might have 4 or 5 guys to chose from if some of them slide down the board just a little bit.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:48 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-rankings

That site says the top 10 OT could go in the first 40 picks so you can get your guy at the top of the second round and still might have 4 or 5 guys to chose from if some of them slide down the board just a little bit.

Sites also say this is one of the best crops of Linebackers in years.  I'm all for Chase in 1, and one of these Elite Linebackers in 2.   Most years there just aren't many good Linebackers.  This year there is, and Bengals do not have enough Linebackers.  They only have 4 on the roster, and none of them are elite to this point.  4 is not enough to go to camp with.  i would love to see offense in 1 with Chase and defense in 2 with one of these rare years of good Linebackers in the Draft.  We would still get good picks at other areas of need in top of rounds 3, 4 and 5.  Team needs better Guard and Center Blocking, that is a given. A good Blocking Guard at top of 3 would be a huge help. WR Chase, LB, Guard sounds like a great start to draft to me. All areas of need on last place Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think it’s going to be hard to mess up #5. If Chase isn’t there, take OL, if he is, take OL in 2nd because we really need a guard and there should be some good guards there.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 06:23 AM)kevin Wrote: Sites also say this is one of the best crops of Linebackers in years.  I'm all for Chase in 1, and one of these Elite Linebackers in 2.   Most years there just aren't many good Linebackers.  This year there is, and Bengals do not have enough Linebackers.  They only have 4 on the roster, and none of them are elite to this point.  4 is not enough to go to camp with.  i would love to see offense in 1 with Chase and defense in 2 with one of these rare years of good Linebackers in the Draft.  We would still get good picks at other areas of need in top of rounds 3, 4 and 5.  Team needs better Guard and Center Blocking, that is a given. A good Blocking Guard at top of 3 would be a huge help. WR Chase, LB, Guard sounds like a great start to draft to me. All areas of need on last place Bengals.

That would be good with me we got Reiff could put off OT till next years class as long as we get depth there in a older FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, no OT we draft is staring this season. Those spots are locked up by Jonah and Reiff. There’s nothing wrong with playing G for a year though.

Jonah is unreliable and will get hurt again. If Sewell is there at 5, he will (or at least should) start Day 1.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 07:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jonah is unreliable and will get hurt again. If Sewell is there at 5, he will (or at least should) start Day 1.

Can’t go if’s and maybes. Right now Jonah Williams is penciled in as the starting LT.

If they draft Sewell he’s either playing G for a year, or RT (with Reiff kicking inside). About 3 members of the coaching staff/FO have now made it clear they don’t want to move Jonah.

Reply/Quote