Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(03-26-2021, 12:03 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I think some of us have forgotten about Fred ....he looked solid at tackle when Jonah went down again. Not worried there 
Im more worried about G and C. 

He is not good at all. I called him trash when they picked him up and he was trash last year
Reply/Quote
Don’t be shocked when Reiff gets extended at some point.

Remember the reason for all these 1 year deals (not just Bengals but across the league). It is having the cap drop this year followed by an expected big jump next year courtesy of the new TV deals. As a result a lot of players are “betting on themselves” and taking one year performance deals so they can prove their value when they hit the market again the following offseason. Usually they want longer term deals - this is an anomaly due to the strange cap scenario this offseason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except he didn't look solid.

I know there's a lot of distrust about PFF on here, and I don't fully disagree, but it is an interesting reference point. Fred Johnson had a 48.4 PFF score in 2020. He was their 79th out of 79 OTs.

And he was somehow even worse at G...

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:03 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I think some of us have forgotten about Fred ....he looked solid at tackle when Jonah went down again. Not worried there 
Im more worried about G and C. 

I want to forget about Fred, he regressed this year... not that PFF is god but had a 48 rating.. ranked 79th in NFL tackles
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:49 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Perhaps Burrow thinks with a 3rd reliable weapon on WR that he will be able to get the ball out quicker reducing the times he is hit. He held onto the ball a little long at times last year. The blame gets out solely on the line but wrs not getting open paired with a QB who is always looking for the big play is a recipe for a lot of QB hits.

Get chase, take a guard in the 2nd.

The thing is, I’d this was Bill B and the Pats, they would find a way to fix their line with undrafted rookies and castoffs... why are we unable to do this as well? (Yes it’s because we have ZT not BB, that IS the answer, but point is we shouldn’t have to rely on Sewell to fix everything).

Just my 2 cents

This is very possible.    IMHO - now that Hart is gone, most of our issues are now with the interior OL positions.    Could Sewell play guard?   Possibly - but don't know that he has done it.   I also don't think that drafting Sewell alone - who isn't an IOL or projected to be one in the NFL - really fixes the OL issues the way it seems to be communicated here.    It does potentially help, but fix?   I think that is a lot to put on a single player on the OLine.   So I agree with alot of what you have here.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except he didn't look solid.

I know there's a lot of distrust about PFF on here, and I don't fully disagree, but it is an interesting reference point. Fred Johnson had a 48.4 PFF score in 2020. He was their 79th out of 79 OTs.

That grade includes his G play. He was remarkably pitiful at G, but I do believe he improved at T. He isn’t a starter, but I am fine with him as depth.
Reply/Quote
I think Joe Burrow is smart and humble enough to know not to butt his way into roster construction. Not after only 10 starts, 2 wins, and 13 TD's. I just can't envision a scenario that he's going to the front office and pushing for certain moves. That's not to say he won't in the future, I just don't think it's currently happening.

So with that said, I think what we're hearing is one of two things: 1.) It's total bs, and it's just a story the media is running with. 2.) The Bengals themselves are introducing this story to get support behind this move.

#2 wouldn't shock me. It would be like when they had a beat reporter ask Joe Burrow "What do you think about playing with AJ Green" and of course he answers something like "I'd love it, he's a great player". Then from then on out every Bengals writer writes "Joe Burrow wants AJ Green back".

Of course, Burrow didn't really have a lot of options on how to answer that question. He just gave the normal playerspeak complimentary answer. But that didn't stop the narrative that bringing AJ Geen back was done somehow to appease Burrow.

Same goes with Carson Palmer and TO. TJ leaves, in comes Coles. Coles sucks, and he leaves. We sign Antonio Bryant who is basically handicapped and in a wheelchair and he can't play. We're now deep into the offseason (July) and we have no number #2 receiver. There's no one really available, save a few names. Carson gets asked about whether he wants TO and he says something like "yeah, go get that guy". (Note: This was after the Bengals were already linked to him)

Did Palmer want TO to replace TJ? Did he want TO to begin free agency? Or did he want TO deep into summer when we had no WR2 and he was the only option available, and we were already rumored to be talking with him? The answer really doesn't matter because the narrative has been that Carson Palmer got the things he asked for, and that TO is a perfect example even though he's really not.

So yeah, either the story is bs or the Bengals are going with the "Joe Burrow wanted this, and we want to make him happy" spin.

Like I said, I don't buy for a second Burrow is pushing for anything. He may chime in when asked for opinion, but I just think the kid is too smart to think he needs to planning the draft approach.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That grade includes his G play. He was remarkably pitiful at G, but I do believe he improved at T. He isn’t a starter, but I am fine with him as depth.

I agree with this. He was utterly pathetic at OG, but average at OT. A good backup at OT for sure. We could do much worse for someone coming off the bench. Just dont ever let him play G again though.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think Joe Burrow is smart and humble enough to know not to butt his way into roster construction.  Not after only 10 starts, 2 wins, and 13 TD's.  I just can't envision a scenario that he's going to the front office and pushing for certain moves.  That's not to say he won't in the future, I just don't think it's currently happening.

So with that said, I think what we're hearing is one of two things:  1.) It's total bs, and it's just a story the media is running with.  2.) The Bengals themselves are introducing this story to get support behind this move.

#2 wouldn't shock me.  It would be like when they had a beat reporter ask Joe Burrow "What do you think about playing with AJ Green" and of course he answers something like "I'd love it, he's a great player".  Then from then on out every Bengals writer writes "Joe Burrow wants AJ Green back".

Of course, Burrow didn't really have a lot of options on how to answer that question.  He just gave the normal playerspeak complimentary answer.  But that didn't stop the narrative that bringing AJ Geen back was done somehow to appease Burrow.

Same goes with Carson Palmer and TO.  TJ leaves, in comes Coles.  Coles sucks, and he leaves.  We sign Antonio Bryant who is basically handicapped and in a wheelchair and he can't play.  We're now deep into the offseason (July) and we have no number #2 receiver.  There's no one really available, save a few names.  Carson gets asked about whether he wants TO and he says something like "yeah, go get that guy". (Note: This was after the Bengals were already linked to him)

Did Palmer want TO to replace TJ?  Did he want TO to begin free agency?  Or did he want TO deep into summer when we had no WR2 and he was the only option available, and we were already rumored to be talking with him?  The answer really doesn't matter because the narrative has been that Carson Palmer got the things he asked for, and that TO is a perfect example even though he's really not.

So yeah, either the story is bs or the Bengals are going with the "Joe Burrow wanted this, and we want to make him happy" spin.

Like I said, I don't buy for a second Burrow is pushing for anything.  He may chime in when asked for opinion, but I just think the kid is too smart to think he needs to planning the draft approach.
I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before also but if Chase is someone the FO is looking at, given how small our scouting dept is, I can easily see them talking to Burrow about him given they were team mates for 2 years.   Burrow would have some pretty good insight into strengths/weaknesses and such.   

That said, if the choice is between Chase and Pitts, I think Pitts is probably the better choice due the match up problems he creates.  
Reply/Quote
For the people who think we are drafting sewell to insert him at guard LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think Joe Burrow is smart and humble enough to know not to butt his way into roster construction.  Not after only 10 starts, 2 wins, and 13 TD's.  I just can't envision a scenario that he's going to the front office and pushing for certain moves.  That's not to say he won't in the future, I just don't think it's currently happening.

So with that said, I think what we're hearing is one of two things:  1.) It's total bs, and it's just a story the media is running with.  2.) The Bengals themselves are introducing this story to get support behind this move.

#2 wouldn't shock me.  It would be like when they had a beat reporter ask Joe Burrow "What do you think about playing with AJ Green" and of course he answers something like "I'd love it, he's a great player".  Then from then on out every Bengals writer writes "Joe Burrow wants AJ Green back".

Of course, Burrow didn't really have a lot of options on how to answer that question.  He just gave the normal playerspeak complimentary answer.  But that didn't stop the narrative that bringing AJ Geen back was done somehow to appease Burrow.

Same goes with Carson Palmer and TO.  TJ leaves, in comes Coles.  Coles sucks, and he leaves.  We sign Antonio Bryant who is basically handicapped and in a wheelchair and he can't play.  We're now deep into the offseason (July) and we have no number #2 receiver.  There's no one really available, save a few names.  Carson gets asked about whether he wants TO and he says something like "yeah, go get that guy". (Note: This was after the Bengals were already linked to him)

Did Palmer want TO to replace TJ?  Did he want TO to begin free agency?  Or did he want TO deep into summer when we had no WR2 and he was the only option available, and we were already rumored to be talking with him?  The answer really doesn't matter because the narrative has been that Carson Palmer got the things he asked for, and that TO is a perfect example even though he's really not.

Like I said, I don't buy for a second Burrow is pushing for anything.  He may chime in when asked for opinion, but I just think the kid is too smart to think he needs to planning the draft approach.

I don't have a doubt in my mind the coaches might ask him his thoughts, and if they do he might say he'd love to have Chase. I don't think that's unreasonable at all. And why wouldn't he want a top receiver he already has playing time with over someone he doesn't? Now, is he "telling" them to draft Chase, I doubt it..... if he's asked is he saying Chase is who he wants, I don't doubt it for a minute.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:46 AM)Trademark Wrote:

I think we Draft Chase now regardless. What Burrow wants, Burrow gets.

Love Chase, so I understand. Great speed, hands runs great crisp routes and is a tough sumbitch.
Reply/Quote
What Joe wants isn’t what Joe needs. Joe needs o-line and o-line depth if the line gets injured.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: What Joe wants isn’t what Joe needs. Joe needs o-line and o-line depth if the line gets injured.

Tons of depth at the OT position in this Draft. Also, just because you take an OL in the first round doesn't mean he is better than
an OL taken in the 2nd or later as we have all seen. The Draft is a crapshoot. You don't reach and you don't panic. You take the 
best player at an area of need. Getting Reiff in here, bringing back Spain for an entire Offseason are bigger than people know.

We can Draft a good Guard and Tackle after the first round. I can already see the panic hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I want to forget about Fred, he regressed this year... not that PFF is god but had a 48 rating.. ranked 79th in NFL tackles

You're forgetting (or intentionally leaving out) a decent amount of his 491 offensive snaps played in 2020 were at OG.
I don't have separate scores for OT vs OG, but his OT scores are (likely) higher than his snaps taken at OG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Tons of depth at the OT position in this Draft. Also, just because you take an OL in the first round doesn't mean he is better than
an OL taken in the 2nd or later as we have all seen. The Draft is a crapshoot. You don't reach and you don't panic. You take the 
best player at an area of need. Getting Reiff in here, bringing back Spain for an entire Offseason are bigger than people know.

We can Draft a good Guard and Tackle after the first round. I can already see the panic hilarious.

If we choose anything outside of Chase, Pitts or Sewell this place will be on fire.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: What Joe wants isn’t what Joe needs. Joe needs o-line and o-line depth if the line gets injured.

And what you want isnt necessarily what Joe needs. Like others have said, we can get good O linemen after the first round in this draft. So if we dont take one in the first round, its not the end of the world.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:45 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If we choose anything outside of Chase, Pitts or Sewell this place will be on fire.

Yes it will be lol

I can see how crazy it will be if we draft Waddle at 5...

Who I actually like better than Devonta Smith.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:22 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: He is not good at all. I called him trash when they picked him up and he was trash last year

1. They didn't pick him up last year.
2. He's not trash, far from it. As a backup swing tackle, he's more than fine.
3. You're trash.

(03-26-2021, 12:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That grade includes his G play. He was remarkably pitiful at G, but I do believe he improved at T. He isn’t a starter, but I am fine with him as depth.

Thank you. He was definitely not in the 40s for his OT play.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:45 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If we choose anything outside of Chase, Pitts or Sewell this place will be on fire.

It would not surprise me to see the first 3 picks go like this:
1) Lawrence
2) Chase
3) Sewell

If that happens, I think we'll see the Bengals squirm. Do they "reach" for Slater (or Darrisaw) at 5, do they take Pitts, Waddle, or Smith at 5, or do they even consider going defense at 5?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote