Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(03-26-2021, 01:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't have a doubt in my mind the coaches might ask him his thoughts, and if they do he might say he'd love to have Chase. I don't think that's unreasonable at all. And why wouldn't he want a top receiver he already has playing time with over someone he doesn't? Now, is he "telling" them to draft Chase, I doubt it..... if he's asked is he saying Chase is who he wants, I don't doubt it for a minute.

So basically what I said in my very last sentence:

"Like I said, I don't buy for a second Burrow is pushing for anything.  He may chime in when asked for his opinion, but I just think the kid is too smart to think he needs to be planning the draft approach."
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It would not surprise me to see the first 3 picks go like this:
1) Lawrence
2) Chase
3) Sewell

If that happens, I think we'll see the Bengals squirm. Do they "reach" for Slater (or Darrisaw) at 5, do they take Pitts, Waddle, or Smith at 5, or do they even consider going defense at 5?

I guess I would freak a little if we took Parson's unless we traded back and took him.

Still would like Pitts the most in this scenario and probably in all scenarios now.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So basically what I said in my very last sentence:

"Like I said, I don't buy for a second Burrow is pushing for anything.  He may chime in when asked for his opinion, but I just think the kid is too smart to think he needs to be planning the draft approach."

Remember last year before we drafted him Burrow saying he would love to play with AJ Green?

I said right there that the talk was over and we were going to tag AJ...

Thinking the same with Chase now, if he is there, we are going to take him even if he is not my top choice.

I like Sewell, then Pitts, then Chase in that order.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 08:33 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'm just glad QBs don't make draft decisions.

I actually like his thinking.  Chase is about as close as you can get to a sure thing, addresses our need for speed and separation - along with having a great record of making contested catches against top college competition and is flat out an intense high level competitor who is smart and mentally tough.

As the season wore on before Joe got hurt our receivers were just not getting separation and were woofing on contested catches.  

Burrow showed the ability to get the ball out fast enough to protect himself from getting injured - if his receivers were open.

I think even with the minimal improvement that sits at the guard position and the hope of picking up some significant improvement in the draft in the 2nd and third round he'd be a much safer QB than he was this year and would be if we drafted OL in 1 without improving the receivers' ability to get open quickly and stretch the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 08:57 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm not sure I believe that he's "pushing" for them to do this, considering it's entirely out of his and the team's hands.  The only way they'd be sure to grab Chase is if they traded up to #2.  Otherwise, seems silly to "push" for someone when there are three other teams picking ahead of you that could just as easily take your guy.

I suspect it's more along the lines of "If he's there, I'd love to have him."

I have to agree.   I do not believe he'll be there.  Like you if he is, I'd love to have him.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:16 PM)3wt Wrote: I actually like his thinking.  Chase is about as close as you can get to a sure thing, addresses our need for speed and separation - along with having a great record of making contested catches against top college competition and is flat out an intense high level competitor who is smart and mentally tough.

As the season wore on before Joe got hurt our receivers were just not getting separation and were woofing on contested catches.  

Burrow showed the ability to get the ball out fast enough to protect himself from getting injured - if his receivers were open.

I think even with the minimal improvement that sits at the guard position and the hope of picking up some significant improvement in the draft in the 2nd and third round he'd be a much safer QB than he was this year and would be if we drafted OL in 1 without improving the receivers' ability to get open quickly and stretch the field.

Yeah, it is a 2 way street. We need a good O-line and we also need Receivers who can seperate.

Chase fills one of these needs. Reiff helps, Spain helps especially with a full offseason. 

There are good OL after the first round.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:20 PM)3wt Wrote: I have to agree.   I do not believe he'll be there.  Like you if he is, I'd love to have him.

With 49ers moving up to 3, there is 99% chance that either Sewell of Chase is available at 5, as likely 3 QBs will be taken in first 4 picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:45 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If we choose anything outside of Chase, Pitts or Sewell this place will be on fire.

That's funny, because this place is going to be on fire regardless of who we take.  If we take Sewell, some people will complain that we need weapons for Joe.  If we take Chase or Pitts, other people will complain that weapons do no good if he has no time to throw.

Sadly, no one would be wrong because we need both. 

Fortunately, as many others have said, there are plenty of options in the rest of the draft.
Reply/Quote
They say it takes an average of 3 years for a receiver to get it in the NFL. Can you imagine getting Chase and having him and Higgins maturing at the same time, with Boyd already there in the slot? Chad and TJ who? Cool
Reply/Quote
Since we don't have a competent or true GM & the Bengals aren't structured like most of the NFL front offices--the Bengals are a cheap mom and pop shop--I'm inclined to trust the QB and let him play GM. Typically, I'd tout trusting the front office professionals, but in this circumstance I'm good with Chase if Burrow is good with Chase.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:16 PM)3wt Wrote: I actually like his thinking.  Chase is about as close as you can get to a sure thing, addresses our need for speed and separation - along with having a great record of making contested catches against top college competition and is flat out an intense high level competitor who is smart and mentally tough.

if they get CHase and the line holds, magical things will happen for sure. BUT... I still have the JOHN ROSS virus of 4 yrs. Im hoping we go a different route. oh, btw... Ross is now with the GIANTS!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfaHl-NcGtA

If he starts doing well in NY, I will buy a voodoo doll and.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Same goes with Carson Palmer and TO.  TJ leaves, in comes Coles.  Coles sucks, and he leaves.  We sign Antonio Bryant who is basically handicapped and in a wheelchair and he can't play.  We're now deep into the offseason (July) and we have no number #2 receiver.  There's no one really available, save a few names.  Carson gets asked about whether he wants TO and he says something like "yeah, go get that guy". (Note: This was after the Bengals were already linked to him)

Did Palmer want TO to replace TJ?  Did he want TO to begin free agency?  Or did he want TO deep into summer when we had no WR2 and he was the only option available, and we were already rumored to be talking with him?  The answer really doesn't matter because the narrative has been that Carson Palmer got the things he asked for, and that TO is a perfect example even though he's really not.

So yeah, either the story is bs or the Bengals are going with the "Joe Burrow wanted this, and we want to make him happy" spin.

Palmer actively recruited Coles by pitching him to Marvin and calling Coles to sell him on signing with the Bengals. He was also played a big role in the signing of TO, telling the Bengals how impressed he was with Owens after they worked out together and how much he thought TO could help the offense. 
Reply/Quote
When asked about playing with Chase, Burrow stated "It's pretty easy to throw to a guy who always have 5 yards of separation." It's not a given he will have that in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 04:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Palmer actively recruited Coles by pitching him to Marvin and calling Coles to sell him on signing with the Bengals. He was also played a big role in the signing of TO, telling the Bengals how impressed he was with Owens after they worked out together and how much he thought TO could help the offense. 

We were competitive then. Helps when you're in that position. Wink
Reply/Quote
As mentioned and wrote previously, burrow is not pushing anything. Team player. Granted, in four years, he may be more vocal about things he is for and against. Right now, he is a professional and will do all the correct, textbook things. He wouldn't trash them if they drafted field goal kicker. Smart guy. Protect him!!!
Reply/Quote
I think its Chase or Smith if Chase is taken. otherwise we would have got a vet receiver. I think they are comfortable with
Sample and Uzomah
Reply/Quote
Im not sold on Sewell.. He has his ups and downs.. To many times i see him get knocked backwards.
Reply/Quote
For me, I take Sewell. Hands down. Every time. Not even close. I take a receiver top of 2. Then go IOL in the 3rd.
Sewell + Marshall (or the kid from Purdue) + best G/C on the board in Rd 3. Sewell, Hopkins, Reiff, & Jonah start + a competition at LG between Spain, XSF, and the Rd3 pick.

But I think we take Chase. Just the history of the team. Plus, we will get another year to evaluate Jonah at LT. Then go o-line in Rd 2 (Leatherwood/Davis). In this scenario, we probably hit OL again in Rd 3.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:07 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Not assuming anything except what he has most recently done in football. He should improve but IDK if the ducks had there pro day or even if he participated in it.

He isn’t ready until he shows improvement

Next Friday.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If the O-line is fine, they will be just as fine with Sewell being drafted. If the O-line is below average, having ANOTHER good receiver won't matter much. That has been proven over and over. So no running game, so defenses play the pass. They pressure/sack Burrow. Receivers run routes for fun. Whistle blows before they even reach the top of the route.
Reply/Quote