Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
If Sewell is there, grab him regardless who else is on the board.

If he sits or moves inside for a season, he'll improve. If there's an injury to Williams or Reiff . . . who is more prepared to take their spot? Adeniji? Johnson? A 2nd round pick not as good as Sewell? There is no downside to Williams and Reiff playing 16 games and Sewell sitting for a year or playing a year at Guard unless he gets injured or isn't a good Guard.

The Bengals haven't gotten a quality 2nd round WR since all the way back in 2020 so they need a 1st round WR in 2021? Grab Sewell. Ogbuehi was the 4th Tackle off the board in 2015 and some of you think that a 2nd round OT is now OK? OT Brandon Sherff was the #5 pick in 2015, moved inside to Guard and only produced 4 Pro Bowls and an All Pro season as he stayed at Guard and excelled. He just signed a Franchise tag. Sign me up for that on Cincy's O-line. Quentin Nelson was a 2018 #6 pick at Guard and has three seasons of All-Pro football. I would not consider it a failure if Sewell is picked and stays inside. Ask Mixon if he'd like Sherff or Nelson on Cincy's line or another WR to replace AJ Green.

Leaking that Burrow wants Chase could be true or it could be the Bengals have learned from past mistakes and are allowing teams to think they don't want Sewell so no one trades in front of them to grab him. You can't believe anything leaked this time of year, even if it fits what you want to happen.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:32 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: You got any links to these failing grades?  The few grades I’ve seen thus far are b and c.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember where all I've seen them. Most recent one I read was a D-.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937958-grading-every-nfl-teams-2021-free-agency-performance
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:36 AM)jj22 Wrote: I can't remember where all I've seen them. Most recent one I read was a D-.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937958-grading-every-nfl-teams-2021-free-agency-performance

I mean can we really disagree with that assessment by Bleacher Report?  I think the D- is deserved.  I gave them a C- but I can see why they gave them a D-. 

Until this team addresses is weaknesses, which prior to free agency there were MANY of, their chances of winning are low.  Their weak at WR, OG, C, DE, LB depth.  I truly think the only place this team has depth right now is in the secondary.  

If this team goes out and signs a veteran guard, and a WR then the score goes up to a C because it'd be an average FA.  

As people on here have said FA isnt over year and I'm looking forward to seeing if the Bengals spend the $$$ they have or they pocket it like normal and carry $$$ over to 2022.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bengals are already getting failing grades and slammed across the NFL community for this free agency. Passing up on a Tackle for a shiny toy at 5 will likely break the net with giggles of Bengals incompetence. That 2nd round steal (tackle) people are hoping for will not get past KC, PIT, Baltimore etc. The run on tackles to end the 1st round and start of the second will likely leave us stuck with no option or a reach. Not worth the gamble given the poor Free Agency.

Sorry Burrow, why draft Chase for Brandon Allen's benefit?

If he wanted this, he should have been pushing for them to fix the IOL during FA, instead of signing 6 db's.

Just bad business to continue to ignore the line and hope for a prospect to get past those top teams needing oline help at the end of round 1.

There are 12 OL in the Top 50 of this draft and 21 in the Top 100.  Unless literally every third pick in the 1st and early 2nd are OL, we can get one at 37.  Our immediate need is at G, so IOL and T's you can kick inside for a year are all in play.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: There are 12 OL in the Top 50 of this draft and 21 in the Top 100.  Unless literally every third pick in the 1st and early 2nd are OL, we can get one at 37.  Our immediate need is at G, so IOL and T's you can kick inside for a year are all in play.  

You never have to rely on a rookie to start on your offensive line.  We've seen how that works out with our drafts in the past.  

You can draft Sewell at #5 but if he's gone I have no issue going after Chase or Pitts in that position.  

Unfortunately, this offense needs so much help whether it be on the line or WR that you're gonna have rob peter to pay paul somewhere.  

If you draft OL in the first round it benefits the OL and hurts your weapons at the skill position.  

If you draft for skill positions then it hurts your OL.  So your damn if you do and damn if you dont. 

This is why you solve one of the problem area's via free agency which this FO hasnt figured out needs to be done yet. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:53 AM)TJ528 Wrote: You never have to rely on a rookie to start on your offensive line.  We've seen how that works out with our drafts in the past.  

You can draft Sewell at #5 but if he's gone I have no issue going after Chase or Pitts in that position.  

Unfortunately, this offense needs so much help whether it be on the line or WR that you're gonna have rob peter to pay paul somewhere.  

If you draft OL in the first round it benefits the OL and hurts your weapons at the skill position.  

If you draft for skill positions then it hurts your OL.  So your damn if you do and damn if you dont. 

This is why you solve one of the problem area's via free agency which this FO hasnt figured out needs to be done yet. 

I honestly think you have to weigh the gap between Chase/Pitts and a 2nd round receiver vs the gap between Sewell/Slater and a 2nd round guard. Whichever gap is biggest, you take that position on the 1st.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 08:55 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Sewell isn’t ready to start LT day 1.

(03-26-2021, 08:57 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Right.

A raw really young LT could get Burrow killed as easy as a sucky vet.

He's played just as many games with Frank Pollack as Jonah has.
He's only got 10 fewer games of NFL experience than Jonah.
Over the last 2 years, he's played 4 more football games than Jonah.

It's not like Jonah is a highly polished gem right now in comparison.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:43 AM)kevin Wrote: Burrow has his timing down with Chase. Burrow could probably roll out of bed half asleep at hit him with a TD pass. After years together at LSU. Burrow knows Chase's speed. moves, timing.  Don Meredith said it takes time for an NFL QB to get the timing of a new WR.  So the upside to Chase is THE TIMING is already there between Burrow to Chase. AND YES, with AJ Green and Ross gone, we need a Top Notch WR to add to Boyd and Higgins.  Mixon, Boyd and Higgins by themselves would be too easy for NFL Defenses to shut down. a Running Back and 2 WR's is too High School or College for the NFL, and NFL Defenses will make Bengals lucky to win 4 games.

If not Chase, then the other 2 out of the SEC, the Florida TE, or the Alabama Heisman WR Smith who ripped Ohio State to shreds.  One of the 3 elite SEC pass catchers at Top of The Draft.   Burrow already has THE TIMING down to Chase knowing his every move, and that should give immediate success to the combo in 2021 and free up Mixon, Boyd and Higgins for more open lanes also, and more wins in 2021.

Yes, this would mean no Sewell, but Bengals have their 2 starting Tackles for 2021 in Williams and Reiff.  Signing Reiff makes drafting Chase more of an option to get this awful offense moving.  Lets face it, Green and Ross weren't giving Bengals much the last few years. Burrow to Chase could get a lot more out of Mixon, Boyd and Higgins as Defenses can't double team all of them.

If Burrow wants his LSU pass catching target, and he is still there at 5, Take Him....That may be the problem, Chase may be gone by 5. ...Only reason I can see not taking him.

Oh, just go on YouTube and watch Chase highlight video of Burrow to Chase, Burrow to Chase, Burrow to Chase. Touchdowns, Championship.  What's not to like.

and SEC....The SEC is a good place to draft from in 2021, even more than most years.

LOL.  Sure, he has his timing down with a guy that he hasn't played with in over 14 months.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: There are 12 OL in the Top 50 of this draft and 21 in the Top 100.  Unless literally every third pick in the 1st and early 2nd are OL, we can get one at 37.  Our immediate need is at G, so IOL and T's you can kick inside for a year are all in play.  

That's exactly it. Some people think it has to be OL-or-bust in Rd 1.
This is a very good OL class, with the glut being in Rds 2-3.
Bengals should be able to get a guy who can start immediately in Rd 2 and either an immediate starter or just a year of grooming in Rd 3-4.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Give me a break.  How many 1st round tackles started last year?  How many of them stepped in at 18 years old and played at a high level in a power 5 conference?

He's ready to start day 1.  He wouldn't be viewed as a top 3-5 overall pick if he was a project.
Reply/Quote
The bleacher report stuff is brainless crap like all of their stuff. Translated it says "they didn't sign exactly who I wanted them to sign so I give them a bad grade".
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t give our FA a failing grade. More like a big MEH, so maybe a C.

Reply/Quote

Good thing he’d play his first season at guard
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 10:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's played just as many games with Frank Pollack as Jonah has.
He's only got 10 fewer games of NFL experience than Jonah.
Over the last 2 years, he's played 4 more football games than Jonah.

It's not like Jonah is a highly polished gem right now in comparison.
Jonah played 700 or more snaps at LT last year and gave up like 2 sacks in his first year. He is an ascending LT right now. Compare that to the other first year LTs and he is better than they are right now.
(03-26-2021, 10:28 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Give me a break.  How many 1st round tackles started last year?  How many of them stepped in at 18 years old and played at a high level in a power 5 conference?

He's ready to start day 1.  He wouldn't be viewed as a top 3-5 overall pick if he was a project.

So I’m assuming you aren’t reading or watching analysts break him down? There are a few who say he’s perfect right now, but there are more who warn against starting him at LT day 1. I read and watch analysts say to start him at guard so he develops more core strength and better opt work and a better pinch placement. Yes, he’s gifted. Yes, I like him and his potential is through the roof! But to throw him at LT day one is asking too much of him right now, IMHO
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:08 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Good thing he’d play his first season at guard

That’s totally fine. The intent here is get your best 5 on the field and starting Sewell at tackle next year when reiff leaves
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:48 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'd personally be happy with Chase in round 1.  When people in the business compare you to Torry Holt, or say that your career could play out like that of a faster Anquan Boldin, that's some pretty high praise.  

Imagine if all 32 teams had a re-draft.  The first team on the clock gets to pick any two players who are currently in the NFL or in the 2021 draft class.  Would anyone fault the first team on the clock for starting their franchise off with Burrow and Chase?

OR, imagine if Reiff and Spain are going to overachieve.  Say the FO hit two home runs and they work out as good starters for the next few seasons(neither are all that old for their respective positions, both have had good seasons in the league).  IF events unfold like that, then you only need one starting OG and some backups in order to have an adequate line.  With Pollack instead of Turner that wouldn't be the most shocking thing to ever happen in the football world.

I like Sewell too, he'd be a great pick, but we should remember that the guy is only 20 years old with very limited experience.  There's no such thing as a perfect prospect or a sure thing.  You could argue that Chase's floor might actually be higher than Sewell's because he and Jefferson already looked like pros at LSU.

so how did Sewell not look like a pro when he played? .. he was the top lineman his sophomore year, and both Chase and Sewell are born in 2000 so really no real age difference between them
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:12 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Jonah played 700 or more snaps at LT last year and gave up like 2 sacks in his first year. He is an ascending LT right now. Compare that to the other first year LTs and he is better than they are right now.

So I’m assuming you aren’t reading or watching analysts break him down? There are a few who say he’s perfect right now, but there are more who warn against starting him at LT day 1. I read and watch analysts say to start him at guard so he develops more core strength and better opt work and a better pinch placement. Yes, he’s gifted. Yes, I like him and his potential is through the roof! But to throw him at LT day one is asking too much of him right now, IMHO

I don;t think we can ever say any college player is pro ready, I would question Chase is not pro ready since he has not experienced a NFL defense that is much better and different than college or a NFL playbook..... 

Both are talented and expected to be starters in their 1st year of NFL
Reply/Quote
Perhaps Burrow thinks with a 3rd reliable weapon on WR that he will be able to get the ball out quicker reducing the times he is hit. He held onto the ball a little long at times last year. The blame gets out solely on the line but wrs not getting open paired with a QB who is always looking for the big play is a recipe for a lot of QB hits.

Get chase, take a guard in the 2nd.

The thing is, I’d this was Bill B and the Pats, they would find a way to fix their line with undrafted rookies and castoffs... why are we unable to do this as well? (Yes it’s because we have ZT not BB, that IS the answer, but point is we shouldn’t have to rely on Sewell to fix everything).

Just my 2 cents
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 07:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jonah is unreliable and will get hurt again. If Sewell is there at 5, he will (or at least should) start Day 1.

I think some of us have forgotten about Fred ....he looked solid at tackle when Jonah went down again. Not worried there 
Im more worried about G and C. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:03 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I think some of us have forgotten about Fred ....he looked solid at tackle when Jonah went down again. Not worried there 
Im more worried about G and C. 

Except he didn't look solid.

I know there's a lot of distrust about PFF on here, and I don't fully disagree, but it is an interesting reference point. Fred Johnson had a 48.4 PFF score in 2020. He was their 79th out of 79 OTs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote